Start by marking “A Room with a View/Howards End (Modern Library)” as Want to Read:
A Room with a View/Howards End (Modern Library)

A Room with a View/Howards End (Modern Library)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,670 ratings  ·  93 reviews
'To me,' D. H. Lawerence once wrote to E. M. forster, 'you are the last Englishman.' Indeed, Forster's novels offer contemporary readers clear, vibrant portraits of life in Edwardian England. Published in 1908 to both critical and popular acclaim, A Room with a View is a whimsical comedy of manners that owes more to Jane Austen that perhaps any other of his works. The cent...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Modern Library (first published February 4th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Room with a View/Howards End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Room with a View/Howards End

Sharone
Oh, friends. There is only one word to describe my experience reading this book: delightful. But because you know I can't resist the opportunity to say more than one word, I won't stop there.

A Room with a View is deeply satirical, and yet the characters manage to be real people rather than one-dimensional conduits for the author's social criticisms. Forster's voice and humor are subtle without being sly, and he draws you into the inner lives of his characters in a way that feels so natural it's...more
Rae
I consider A Room With A View to be Winnie-the-Pooh for adults and something that should be read often. It is the delightful story of Lucy Honeychurch, a young woman who eventually accepts responsibility for her own life and marries a man whose sense of freedom reminds her of a room with a view. The movie version of the book is charming and faithful to the story and (despite an amusing river bathing scene in which there is full male nudity) is rated PG.

Rooms stand for social conventions, deadeni...more
Larry
This is tricky, I give 'A Room with a View' a 5 star rating but 'Howards End' a 2. Also, I read the two books approximately 10 years apart. However, I found 'A Room with a View' to be a beautiful book filled with sharp observations upon society that are just as relevant today as they were when the book was written (I assume). While 'Howards End' also had some great writing and similarly acerbic observations on society, I found myself bored whilst reading it. Of course, this might have something...more
Kenneth Elliott Iltz
After trying to read two new novels and giving up after about 30 pages, I went back to my comfort zone. The plot is fairly simple. The heroine, Miss Lucy Honeychurch, heads to Italy on the grand tour and is kissed by George Emerson. The episode is embarrassing to Lucy and she and her chaperone move from Florence to Rome after the incident. She then becomes engaged to a wealthy and respectable but snobbish man named Cecil Vyse. George warns Lucy that the marriage will never work and George’s fath...more
Terzah
I've always been drawn to love stories where, when someone finds a soul mate, that person knows them inside and out, and loves them inside and out, with just the barest of interactions to go on. Such is the case with George and Lucy in this book. All it takes are a few stilted conversations, a harrowing encounter in Florence and a kiss in a Tuscan meadow--and he knows he loves her and is willing to bare his heart to her and help her find her true self through both actions and words. He fears no...more
Arlene
Howards End is a view of the English society of 100 years ago. The characters are mostly people who have an "income" so are concerned with society and conventions. I found them tedious except for the heroine, Margaret, but even she isn't without faults. finished Sep 5, 2009
A Room With a View I set the book aside after I finished the first novel. I finally finished the second novel in this edition. I found Victorian society strange looking back from a completely different century. The convention...more
Clara
I'm not sure how I feel about these two novels. There's a kind of unevenness to Forster's writing which sometimes bothers me--his tendency to veer from realistic, even humorous representations (eg; the umbrella-filching scene) to overwritten meditations on the meaning of life. This tendency is most marked in Howard's End, though it appears in A Room With a View as well.

Also (view spoiler)...more
Annalee
A Room with a View is one of my favorite books. I loved its overall theme of happiness comes from following what your instincts, not just what the world dictates. Forster did a wonderful job in his characterization of Lucy, Charlotte (oh how I love Charlotte, she is one of my most favorite characters ever), and Mr. Beebe, especially.

Howards End is well-written and engaging, but lacks some of the lightness of A Room with a View. It is more centered on criticism of social classes. The characters...more
Maddie
This book was good. E.M. Forster has some very interesting ideas. His social critiques were subtle and sometimes humorous. Romance was not the main focus, it was not always sweet, but in the end it ended up being rather wonderful. I think George's father is my favorite character. Even if he isn't considered good society.
Lynda
I find Forster to be an interesting individual who likes to view his fellow human beings as they are with all their flaws and foibles. Although very different stories each portrays young women coming into their own and the adults around them who help that process, as well as, hinder it.

Written in a different time frame for most of us, these two stories can be difficult at first to understand the culture of the characters. Yet, with each page we see the characters striving with life, decisions an...more
Christa
A Room With A View: Interesting ending, though I didn't really feel the events that led up to what happened at the end of the story. Wished it had much more of a dramatic flare, as some parts felt dreary and lacking in detail. The story felt like it kept jumping from place to place, I didn't feel grounded at all with the characters and the story flow.

Howards End: It had a fascinating but somewhat confusing beginning, the middle part was a little more so-so with less flare but more of the story t...more
Catharine
Sometimes, though beautifully written, the language of the classics is more difficult to read. That was the case for me with this book. However, as I got into it, I enjoyed the story, the writing, and the characters. When I was nearly to the end and discovering how things were going to unfold (or how I thought they'd unfold), I was not happy. I was wondering why I'd read the book, but then there was a twist and turn and the actual ending was satisfactory. I borrowed this book from the library a...more
Loralee
Who knew that this book would read as if it was written as the screenplay for the movie? I was expecting something more, a richer text. Not that I love the movie any less or now the book for that matter, since they are virtually identical, but it is so rare that the book doesn't have so much more going on within it. Perhaps it held a bit more sardonic wit that cannot translate as well to film, but all in all, it is a slight novel with an engaging humor. I prefer this in the form of Graham Greene...more
Don Weidinger
drama and reflection, Lucy, learned greatest lesson what it is to love.
Lisa
i tried to read this book several years ago, and just couldnt get into it. i decided to give it another try...after all, i hadnt seen the movie yet, and thought it would be fun to read the book first.
Well, im glad i stuck with it...once again, it started out really slow for me, but then it really picked up and i found i couldnt put the book down. Its hard to imagine living as they did then...the way women were treated, the pompous high society folk, the prudish ways...so it was fun to see Lucy's...more
Saint_Maha
My soul has wandered through Cathedrals bewildered by the smell of Sistine and the sight of Gods and Goddesses.

The theme is beautifuly portrayed, but the novel is more likely boring to read.
Yet, travelling through cultures was a breathtaking journey to me, indeed. Moreover, love was purely portrayed. It was a precious gift that has nothing to do with lust and erotic needs. It was simply pure and spontaneous.

The use of Italian phrases confused me, for I don't speak Italian! I was sort of lost for...more
Italo Italophiles
If you've only ever seen the film adapted, very faithfully, from the novella A Room With a View, I strongly suggest you read the novella and savor the words that inspired the modern movie classic. From the written text, you gain insight into the thoughts of the characters, and you can appreciate the sardonic point of view of Mr. Forster.

Read the full and illustrated review at Italophile Book Reviews
Beáta
It's a pretty story. First I saw the film and then I read the book. It's about Italy, art, journey, romance etc.

Egy fiatal angol hölgy (Lucy) és nagynénje társasutazáson vesz részt Olaszországban. Elcserélik a szobájukat egy apával és fiával (George), mert számukra fontos a kilátás. Érdekes kalandokban van részük Olaszországban. Lucy és George egymásba szeretnek, de Angliába visszatérve a lány eljegyzi magát egy másik férfival. Végül győz a szerelem: Lucy és George egymáséi lesznek.
Ami
A Room with a View is delightful. Other people will have technical terms to discuss the philosphy of the novel, the style, the symbolism. What I can say is that it was charming and fun and it made me positively giddy in several spots. Yes, a mature matron like myself, was rendered giddy. In many ways it was reminiscent of Jane Austen, with it's cleverness in delving to the heart of English society and in it's restrained (and not so restrained) romance. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ivory
I didn't really enjoy both novels. For each of them all interest in the book waned about half way through. None of the romantic relationships felt realistic to me, and the various amount of characters were unlikable or just walking caricatures. There was no growth for the protagonists even though they said they had changed as people. Good prose, but nothing that could keep my interest.
Emily
it took me a while to get into this book at first but once i did, i absolutely loved it. it was beautiful and delicate and the characters of lucy and george were wonderful. the idea that someone has this strong, emotional hold over you so much so that you can't forget about them or live your life without being reminded of them was beautifully told by forester.
Kathleen
Howard's End is a captivating story of class and gender struggles in 19th Century England with a bit of romance. The heroines, Helen and Meg Schlegel, assert themselves as independent-minded women who read poetry, wield strong opinions, and fight to empower the poor in a male-dominated, commerce-and-industry-focused world.
Jenna
I read A Room with a View in English class in high school. I read Howard's End this past month. I don't remember much about A Room with a View, but Howard's End was a quaint piece about English life in the 1800s (?), love, gender, marriage, and family. I think I would have been more engaged if I were British.
Candace Hinkle
This is a fantastic book about a character (and frankly, the author) who is emerging from the Victorian era in England, and plunging into the 20th century. It demonstrates the changes in class, women's rights, and propriety through the eyes of a young girl. It starts of slowly, but becomes very compelling.
Scott
On my trip I re-read A Room with a View, which I first read years ago. I still really enjoyed it, though the novel becomes weak toward the end in a way that the movie improves upon. In the early stages of the novel it is so funny that I found myself often laughing out loud, even in public settings.
Eileen
I reread E.M. Forster all the time, mostly because his books are actually fairly light while remaining intelligent and interesting. Ok, so they aren't 100% light, and Howards End is notably darker than A Room With A View, but they still fall into the "entertaining" category as opposed to the "hard work".
Tracy
Room with a View is one of those 19th century novels that drives me a little bananas because the key event(s) are so veiled in language that it's impossible to tell they happened unless you know they're coming. Still, like all of Forster's work, I like his use of language and his overall style.
Isabella
I liked Room with a View better than Howards End. Howards End didnt give me an entirely happy ending so I was disappointed with that. Howards End was more difficult to read for me too.
I would give room with a view 5 stars and Howards End between 3.5 stars.
Nathan
I'll give it credit considering the publication date. But otherwise, a flighty romance novel. The best part of the book is when Lucy tells George that she is no longer engaged to Cecil. The argument that ensues about male/female dominance is perfect.
Driekie
Only read Room without a view. Not my usual type of book, a bit slow and it took a while for the story to evolve
  • Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre: Readers' Guides to Essential Criticism
  • Auntie Mame
  • Madame Bovary de Gustave Flaubert
  • The Constant Nymph
  • Stone Virgin
  • The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction
  • Bliss & Other Stories
  • An Accidental Man
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)
  • The Watcher and Other Stories
  • American Notes For General Circulation
  • Zuckerman Bound: The Ghost Writer / Zuckerman Unbound / The Anatomy Lesson / The Prague Orgy
  • The Red Badge of Courage And Four Stories
  • À la recherche du temps perdu, Tome I
  • Desperate Remedies
  • The English Patient
  • Anne of the Island and Tales of Avonlea
  • The Origin of Species/The Voyage of the Beagle
Edward Morgan Forster, generally published as E.M. Forster, was an novelist, essayist, and short story writer. He is known best for his ironic and well-plotted novels examining class difference and hypocrisy in early 20th-century British society. His humanistic impulse toward understanding and sympathy may be aptly summed up in the epigraph to his 1910 novel Howards End: "Only connect".

He had five...more
More about E.M. Forster...
A Room with a View Howards End A Passage to India Maurice Where Angels Fear to Tread

“Let yourself go. Pull out from the depths those thoughts that you do not understand, and spread them out in the sunlight and know the meaning of them.” 110 likes
“Though life is very glorious, it is difficult.” 26 likes