A Winter Journey

A Winter Journey

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Sandy travels by coach through a snowy night with his work mates two weeks before Christmas. They travel from Dumfriesshire up through the Scottish Uplands’ passes towards Ayrshire. To while away their time they joke amongst themselves in a nightly ritual as the snow slowly clears to reveal the hills and mountains in all their wintertime splendour, which all go unnoticed b...more
Published June 8th 2008 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about A Winter Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Winter Journey

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
167th out of 1,341 books — 6,746 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
224th out of 1,115 books — 3,400 voters

More lists with this book...

Billy Young
Jun 08, 2008 Billy Young rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Adults who enjoy a good laugh and don't mind a bit of sadness thrown in.
A great tale full of humour with a little twist of sadness. Not to be miss if you enjoy a great easy read or a good cry.
It takes you on the bus with the characters of the story as they travel through a snowy winters night, joking amongst themselves. A sad yet humorous tale with a haunting ending.
Julie Powell
Aug 17, 2008 Julie Powell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
It's amazing how little a good writer needs to create an interesting story. With a cast of colourful characters, we are led on this snowy journey to a surprising end.
Gill
What a shame! A good idea spoiled by countless spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors that make its reading stilted: when you have to work out that ' decent' should read descent and 'accent' should be ascent. Perversely almost every 'to' is spelled 'too' and 'they're' as their and so on.
I wasn't impressed with the number of unnecessary swear words, and felt many could have been omitted, even though they may have been the sort of language these men would use, they put off potential readers...more
Pamela Barrett
Billy Young has a knack for telling stories. This short story, about a group of guys riding home on a bus in a snow storm after working the night shift at a factory in Scotland, is simple and haunting. I would have rated it higher but it needs editing. I felt like I was on the bus with an inexperienced bus driver who had one foot on the gas and one on the brake-all the stop and go detracted from the begining of the story. It cut the momentum that would have made the ride thrilling.
Rita
It's a shame that this story is let down by spelling and punctuation mistakes. Personally I don't like conversation that has bad language but I understand that this story is about people who routinely use swear words. It's a very moving story. I'm giving it 3 stars because I liked it but with a bit of polish it could have got 4.
Magz
This is a really interesting book with a lot of colourful characters and it has a twist that you don't see coming it had me gripped to the end well worth reading
Christine
I read it in a couple of days. It's a good story with a nice twist at the end. A couple of parts gave me the chills.
Lisa
Jan 09, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read
Sounds good. Everyone is talking about the twist ending and how captivating the characters are. Intrigued....
Tammy Marie
this book is one of the best books i have ever read in my life
Ape
Mii
This book was a great read!
Nancy
This was a really good story, but the typos and grammatical errors made it difficult to read at times. If all those errors were cleaned up it would be a much more polished book.
☯Bettie☯
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Florencio Granado
Florencio Granado marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Kim Rox
Kim Rox marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Rocio Fuentes
Rocio Fuentes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Nataly Trofimova
Nataly Trofimova marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Michela
Michela marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Mollie Squire
Mollie Squire marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Iroulito91
Iroulito91 marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Cara Kelly Merrill
Cara Kelly Merrill marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2012
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2012
Ashley Davis
Ashley Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I am a father of two great kids, Tammy (my daughter and youngest) and Calum (my son). They often drive me up the wall but I could never wish for better children.
I was born and bred in Scotland, I was raise by my aunt who sadly has now passed away. My childhood was in the most part a learning experience in school and out.
My adult life has seen great periods of unemployment interspersed with soul d...more
More about Billy Young...
Bublos Teddy the Bear Banshee Angel Of Judgement Banshee Fires of Revenge