Start by marking “The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud” as Want to Read:
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud

The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  2,821 ratings  ·  164 reviews
One of History’s Most Sacred Treasures. . .
An Age-Old Secret Conspiracy. . .
Now the Truth Is Revealed. . . .

Marco Valoni, chief of Italy’s Art Crimes Department, is convinced that a fire in the Cathedral of Turin that leaves a strangely mutilated, unidentifiable body on the scene was no accident. It is only the last in a long line of mishaps, going back over a hundred year
Published December 26th 2006 by Doubleday Canada (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Did you have to waste so many pages.? Waste of time and energy. The book is supposed to be a thriller and I didn't feel any thrill at all. It was dull,dragging,and tested my patience in many places. You can't state few names like shroud of Turin and Knights Templar and expect the readers to accept it as a spectacular thriller. Well.. I'm to be blamed for falling for anything with those names in it. And the ending.. It couldn't have been more crappy.
Doug Clark
Julia Navarro is well-known journalist based in Madrid. The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud is her first novel. For fans of the novels of Dan Brown, this is in much the same vein. The novel opens with a fire and the death of a tongue-less and fingerprint-less man in the Turin Cathedral, the repository of the famous Shroud of Turin. The head of the Arts Crimes Division of the Italian police, Marco Valoni, suspects there is more to a mere fire, as two years earlier a thief, also tongue-less and fin ...more
Elektragedia
Por donde empezar, lo termine hoy, es un libro excelente, me gusto mucho, sobresale por encima de la historia que tenia de el, pero definitivamente la forma de escribir de esta autora atrapa, no había tenido tiempo antes, pero apenas tuve lo leí de una sentada, hay de todo, conspiración, historia de mas de 2000 años.

y si tiene un trágico final, no diré quienes mueren si los buenos o los malos, pero es algo crudo y un poco cruel, solo que es algo refrescante, estaba sumida en un montón de novelas
M M
Yet another Spanish romp is Julia Navarro's The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud. Just when you thought you were safe from the Knights Templar, here they return, as heroic in fiction as they have been derided in history. This is yet another silly historical-thriller-joining-the-Dan-Brown-wagon. If it's not Dante whose books provide clues to modern crimes, it's the bloody Templars and their rituals. Surely there's enough history in Europe without having to dream up a fresh conspiracy? Arturo Perez- ...more
Dave
Okay, I swear this is the last Jesus-religious-artefact-coverup-giant-conspiracy-making-money-off-The Da Vinci Code- book that I'm going to read. I swear.

Basically, you can pretty much predict where the book will go and what will happen from just reading the cover. Controversial Church relic? Check. Shadowy international organization? Check. A conspiracy to unravel? Check. Oh, the excitement!

I suppose it was slightly useful in that I learned a little about the Shroud of Turin, but, really, I cou
Cynfully Sweet
Actually...

this is more like 2 1/2 stars.

This book is like... a real bad experiment when you try to combine "Da Vinci Code" and "the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". Too many characters, too many ridiculous side plots, (was the Sophia and Pietro deal necessary??) And for how "smart" Sophia was, it certainly seemed it never showed up, oh and, I got sick of hearing about how pretty she was. Same deal with Ana- why on earth did she have to be described as "sooo smart" yet sound so ding batty, yet she'
Ashish Jaituni
THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE HOLY SHROUD is an excellent effort on Navarro's part. The modern-day story is fast-paced, with believable action and well-defined characters. The historical storyline, however, suffers a bit from an overabundance of characters, some imagined, some historical. This does tend to slow down some of the chapters. Still, given the amount of territory she covers, the plot moves along quickly enough to sustain the reader's interest. In fact, it moves almost too quickly at the end; ...more
Juan Nieto Cano
Junto con La sangre de los inocentes este es el segundo libro que leo de Julia Navarro, el primero me gustó muchísimo, aunque este no tanto. Me ha parecido un poco lento, con unas cuantas páginas que le sobran, que hay veces que se alarga de manera innecesaria, y que cuando parece que avanza la historia te frenan en seco por los continuos cambios de época, la verdad esperaba algo más. Aunque también hay que resaltar lo bueno de este libro, como son la documentación y las fechas y hechos históric ...more
William
I thought about giving this book a two, out of fairness, but after forcing myself to finish it, I simply can not bring myself to do that. I don't know if this book was simply a victim of it being translated into English, or if it simply was poorly written to begin with. There were too many characters, too many plots and nothing was fleshed out. The story just sludged on for 371 pages and finally collapsed at the end without any real ending. This felt like assigned reading during junior high. The ...more
Jill
This book was only okay. The build-up and the story was above decent, but the ending was just flat. And correct me if I'm wrong, cutting a tongue out doesn't paralyze the vocal cords. They'd be primal and incomprehensible, but someone without a tongue can still make sounds. They whole "dying without making a sound" thing made me angry, especially when the victim was burning alive, which is the most painful thing that can happen to a human.

If you're really into "The Da Vinci Code" thing, then you
Radioheadpeter
No es lo mismo leer la novela en su año de publicación (2004), siendo uno de los primeros best seller del subgénero, que leerla ahora cuando ya estamos cansados de tener los mismos argumentos una novela tras otra. En su día, se suponía que era una novela fresca, innovadora y atractiva, rasgos que dan más bien la “historia” de la Sabana Santa y las sociedades secretas. Fuera de esta parte, la manera de escribirla es un tanto sencilla, casi vulgar, sin definir los personajes, sin sorpresas ni giro ...more
Randi
Kind of repetitive. The beginning got going pretty well and was compelling, about 1/2 way through the middle section I started getting antsy for the end. I flew through a few chapters hoping for the action to pick up and resolution to come. The ending was moderately satisfying but a bit of a let down after so many pages building to the climax. Read it on an airplane or when you don't have anything else to read.
Leah Pedder
This is a quick book. It isn't great, it isn't bad, it is fine. Overall, the plot is similar to a Dan Brown novel: There are some unusual crimes and they are connected to an ancient holy relic. The parts that I liked most about this book were the flashbacks to a different era. I would have been much happier with a fictionalized tale of the shroud rather than the modern day account that was this book.
Linh
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud was a cross between The People of the Book, the fill-in-the-blank-of-the-missing-years historical fiction, and The Da Vinci Code, the secret society thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed following the main characters through all the twists and turns it took to discover the fabricated, part fiction, part true story of what happened to Jesus's death cloth.
One of the worst books I've ever read in my life. I seriously wanted to throw this book to the bin. Not only it is really bad written, but the characters are flat and unlikeable and extremely annoying and the storyline is just... blah. Seems like a bad remake of "The Da Vinci Code". Couldn't care less about this stupid book. How could I ever read this, I still don't know.
Kristi
I liked the handling of the subject overall. The deity and resurrection of Jesus are respected from the start, shocking in a recent book from a secular publishing house. The historical flashbacks are interesting, the twist surprising, and I felt some understanding of the villains' perspectives...sadly, if there was a main character we were meant to root for, I missed the memo. It was too much of an ensemble piece, but the good guys in the ensemble weren't given enough personality or development, ...more
Fabián Cubillos
Bueno, para ser sincero este libro no fue de mi total agrado. Antes de hablar de las cosas negativas quisiera destacar que para los amantes de la historia este libro esta muy bien documentado, se nota la experiencia de la autora;además,su lectura es sencilla y fácil de seguir.

Lo que no me gustó fue la manera en que se desarrolla la historia, los múltiples "flash-back" que lo único que hacen es confundir al lector y entregar datos que además de históricos no influyen en la trama principal.
Dude m
Corinne Yee
"The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud" is an enjoyable history-based novel.

Marco Valoni and his team of art crimes investigators are called upon to investigate a fire in the Turin, Italy, cathedral which houses the holy shroud that some believe to have been the death shroud of Jesus. Mr. Valoni knows that there have been quite a few "incidents" surrounding the shroud through the ages and believes that this is no coincidence. As he and his team investigate, the author moves us back and forth throu
Not a bad read, loved the unique take on the Shroud of Turin and it's mysterious origins as well as a response to why the carbon 14 dating would not work for it. Even the ending was suitably dark and ominous, not a picture perfect happy ending that so many books try for. The bad of it, though, was that it was complex and I don't mean that in a good way. It had waaaay too many characters and timelines. I am generally a fast reader and I don't think I traditionally have issues dealing with compreh ...more
Jake Mcconnell
A typical entry in the religious conspiracy thriller category, The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud begins with a fire in the Cathedral of Turin. Of course this is the repository of the fabled "Shroud of Turin", the supposed burial drape that covered Christ after he was crucified and buried. This is not the first time that the cathedral has caught fire in recent memory, however, and members of the Art Crimes Department of the Italian police force begin to hypothesize that these fires may be relate ...more
Feathzzz
It was a good book. It did a good job of telling the parallel stories. It made senses was effective, and pleasant to read. I really did enjoy the varity of how one was historical fiction and the other was suspense. It added to the interest of the book and made it much more multidimensional.

That said it's sometimes a little bit hokey in its cliché rather like Dan Brown's novels (you know the women must beautiful and intelligent and successful, cause funky heroines are a no-no.)Still paradoxly I'
Fabian Davy
This is a book that I found hard in deciding 'how' I would rate it. I would have thought, far into the book (as far as 90% into the story) that a definite Four Stars is adequately rewarded. Then, a few pages from the last page - I backtracked and thought again: with an ending that is intriguing, Three Stars is all that it deserved. THEN, AGAIN... a few 3-5 pages from the final page, I was adamant that a fulfilling FOUR STARS is what this book deserved.

As to why, I will explain later in my review
Leonor (Ner)
Jul 24, 2012 Leonor (Ner) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leonor (Ner) by: My mother
Alvi Harahap
Kepala Divisi Kejahatan Seni Italia, Marco Valoni, mencurigai seseorang tengah berusaha mencuri kain yang paling terkenal di dunia ini. Temuan mengerikan ini mengingatkan Valoni pada para lelaki 'tanpa lidah' dan serangkaian kebakaran misterius yang terjadi di tempat yang sama beberapa abad lampau dan juga terkait dengan kafan suci itu.

Valoni, timnya, dan para peneliti harus mengumpulkan informasi tentang siapa sebenarnya yang menginginkan kain itu dan mengapa mereka menginginkannya. Nyawa merek
Leya
Why hadn't I heard of this author before? I absolutly loved this book, I was hooked right from the beginning. I loved the way the author intertwined the story with an old religious sect and the Templar's. I admit it took me while to get used to the jumping back and forth between the past and present, but after a while it just seemed natural.

The characters were amazing. They all felt so real, hard to explain, I found their reactions to whichever obstacle that was thrown at them to be believable.
Rossrn Nunamaker
I finished the Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud by Julia Navarro. Originally published in 2004 in Spanish, it was translated to English in 2006.

This is another of the religious artifact/mystery adventure set in the modern day.

There is a fire at the Cathedral that houses the Shroud of Turin. This is not the first and since damage included artwork and relics, Italy's Art Crimes Department is brought in to investigate. Marco Valoni and his team follow all leads and theories and come to the conclusion
Kristen Schrader (Wenke)
An airplane novel in the style of the DaVinci Code.

Why do "accidents" seem to surround the cathedral that houses the Shroud of Turin? Sofia, Marco, and the other members of the Art Crimes department are on the case!

The modern-day mystery is interspersed with the origin story of the shroud. From a disciple removing it from Jesus' tomb, to a leprosy-stricken king cured by its touch, and so on...
I found the historical part much more interesting than the thriller intrigue. Especially the origins
Wawan
it's time now to talk about thrillers. as a first-effort in novel writing, the brotherhood of the holy shroud shows julia navarro's agility in making up conflicts and events. her good command on the structure of this novel shows how, contrary to being first-novel writer, julia navarro is not a newbie in literary (or, more precisely, genre literary) reading.

its structure (by this, i mean making a certain paragraph tell about ancient events and then telling present events in a subsequent chapter,
Cristián Mansilla
Muy entretenido thriller. Con harto espacio para pensar y te lo devoras rápidamente considerando el número de páginas que tiene. Realmente, cuesta parar de leerlo. El final fue muy bueno, inesperado y no feliz (realista), lo que le da una buena conclusión al libro. Completamente recomendable.

Por otro lado, me gustó mucho la descripción de los lugares y cómo los personajes se movían por todo Europa para develar los misterios de la Sábana Santa.

Algunos Aspectos negativos: Encuentro que la trama fu
Jaime
I didn’t care for this book. I barely skimmed the last 80 pages.

The basic premise of the book is that these art crime detectives believe someone is trying to steal and/or destroy the Shroud of Turin after a string of strange happenings at the Cathedral where it is occasionally displayed. There’s 3 groups of people here… a group that are trying to protect the Shroud, a group trying to “reclaim” it, and the art crime detectives.

It was very slow, and really not very interesting. She tries to genera
  • On the Fifth Day
  • The Sword Of The Templars (Templar, #1)
  • The Sacred Bones
  • The Lost Temple
  • The Sanctuary
  • The Moses Expedition
  • Qumran
  • Knights of the Black and White (Templar Trilogy, #1)
  • Daughter of God
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Secret Supper
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses
  • The Double Eagle (Tom Kirk, #1)
Julia Navarro (Madrid, 1953) lleva más de treinta años dedicada al periodismo trabajando en los principales medios de comunicación de este país, tanto en prensa escrita como en radio y televisión.

Después de publicar varios libros de actualidad política como Nosotros, la transición; Entre Felipe y Aznar; La izquierda que viene, y Señora presidenta, se atrevió con la novela y consiguió un éxito sin
More about Julia Navarro...
Dime quién soy Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto La sangre de los inocentes Bible Of Clay Fortæl mig hvem jeg er