Start by marking “Deceit” as Want to Read:
Deceit

Deceit

Published August 9th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Deceit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deceit

Bruce Stoessner
Jan 08, 2017 Bruce Stoessner rated it it was ok
Starts out as a very interesting story. It has wacky twists that make it hard to believe. The ending is really far out and unsatisfying. This is the third book of Siegal's that I've read and the first, "Derailed", was his best. They just got less satisfying for me as I read the next. I'm totally done with any more of his books.
Nov 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

I started reading Deceit while on vacation and it was literally the only English language book to borrow where we were staying. It sounded alright and a good read for a rainy day.

Tom Valle is working at a small town paper. He used to be a hot shot reporter, but ended up losing it all after it came out that he made up a lot of his stories. His career was ruined and he had a bit of a rough time of it, but was trying to make a new start with the
Monique
Hmm..was this close to giving this book a four until the last twenty or so pages then the page turning action stopped, the plot was revealed and the rest of the book dragged for me..since I did enjoy most of it I finished but was disappointed with the reveal..Okay so to set the stage there is a disgraced reporter Tom Valle, a journalistic failure who was revealed to have fabricated at least fifty six stories..After being exposed, humiliated and fired he wallowed in his misfortune until he found ...more
Bill Lancaster
Aug 06, 2013 Bill Lancaster rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
This fast-paced novel starts with an automobile accident that is not really an accident, but the scene of a murder, though this is not obvious at the time. It continues with the 100th birthday of Belinda Washington in a retirement home and a reporter's discovery of a current happy birthday card from a son who is considered long dead.

From there it quickly moves into a page-turner with a wild series of incidents, some believable, some not so. Such as dam failures, the disappearance of a town, men
David Diamantes
Nov 16, 2011 David Diamantes rated it liked it
Deceit was a good, but not great story. Siegel has a gift for creating great characters with plenty of depth. His protagonist in this story, like the one in Derailed, is a likable, smart guy with a flaw that's his undoing. Siegel's dialog is excellent. Read it aloud and you'll find yourself performing... that's the sign of a good storyteller. Why only 3 stars? Deceit was a little weaker than Derailed. There were a couple of places where I had to suspend reality in order to make it work. Then the ...more
Bern
Deceit is a tough one to review because although I rather enjoyed Mr. Siegel's style and thought the book was very good overall, some aspects of it were confusing and the plot gets hazy by the book's end.

I think it was a stroke of genius how the author used Tom Valle's widely-heard-of discredit to make me wonder whether the whole thing was just another lie Tom was spinning for some deranged purpose his mind felt needed tending to. As thrillers go, Deceit had me at the figurative edge of my seat,
Carl Alves
Jan 03, 2015 Carl Alves rated it liked it
In Deceit, Tom Valle, once a prominent reporter whose career has derailed, is covering what appears to be an ordinary car crash, but as he dives into the case, he starts to see that this is no ordinary case. The man who died in the crash had been castrated, and despite his license claiming him to be a white male, he was actually a black man. This plunges the novel into a tale lies, corruption, and conspiracy.

There was sufficient tension and twists in this novel, but there were also major plot ho
Victoria Moore
Aug 17, 2013 Victoria Moore rated it it was amazing
"Deceit" by James Siegel is a mystery fiction that's written in a non-fiction style. Although the protagonist, journalist Tom Valle isn't very likeable his proficiency as a journalist is undeniable. As the story unfolds it doesn't seem that all of the parts will come together but Siegel does a great job of wrapping everything up. Providing the tension between Valle's past in New York and his present in Littleton, California is a thrilling incident that reflects contemporary issues our society i ...more
Brenda
Jul 17, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing

Yo. Soy quien la está escribiendo.
Tom Valle.

Oh mi dios!
Es la primera ves que un libro de este tipo me hizo sentir profundamente triste. - ahora me recrimino el dejarlo en "pendiente" por un tiempo - Siegel es un bendito genio.

"Puedes guardar un secreto sólo por un tiempo, y luego ya no puedes"

Ese Tom de verdad que paso por un verdadero martirio.
Lo único que me consterna es ese final. ¡¿Qué demonios?!
Infiero en que termino de alguna manera.
Lo de Dennis me hizo llorar. ¿Enserio?
¿Qué maldito canal
Coki
Nov 14, 2008 Coki rated it really liked it
CD Listened to - great reader with journalistic craggy voice (also I'm pretty sure he's done some commercial voiceovers which really freaks me out.) But great mystery that leads too the past, Santa Monica dlist actors, veterans affairs and nuclear testing. Loved loved loved the flashbacks about the rise and fall of an untruthful journalist. Also love Novelist for allowing me to get the title of this book with just a few small details.
Kelly
Feb 27, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book, and I LOVED IT! I've read all 3 other books by this author and am a huge fan. I was a bit worried that this one would be mediocre, based on reader reviews, but it greatly surpassed my expectations. I found it to be fast-paced, suspenseful, and absorbing. On a side note, I always like it when an author weaves bits of historical truth into an otherwise fictional story, as Siegel did here.
Kelly
Aug 17, 2008 Kelly rated it did not like it
I was eager to read this book after thoroughly enjoying "Derailed" by the same author.

Big mistake. I was completely and utterly disappointed in this book. The ending seemed entirely far-fetched and completely unrealistic. I realize it's fiction, but it was borderline ridiculous to me.

Also, had I not been a history teacher that used to teach the development of the nuclear bomb, its testing, etc, I may not have even understood the ending as clearly.
Aaron Canto
Jun 07, 2016 Aaron Canto rated it it was amazing
Es el primer libro que leo del género thriller (no estoy seguro) pero me ha encantado, había querido leer un libro donde tuviera la oportunidad de poder resolver el "misterio" por decir junto al personaje y este libro me lo ha dado; mucho antes puedes saber quién es el "villano" de la historia pero me ha dejado impactado porque cada persona es esencial en la trama y es algo magnífico, trato de explicarlo sin decir mucho porque no quiero dar spoilers JAJAJAJA 5/5⭐ ...more
Ed
Jun 14, 2015 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: reporter, crime, thriller
Thriller - Tom Valle, a disgraced reporter is working for a small CA paper. He gets involved is a deadly cat-and-mouse game trying to track down the truth behind a simple auto accident. Nothing is as it seems and as Valle tries to connect the dots between the car accident and a 50 year old dam collapse parallels to his falsified stories discredit his current effort.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
2 STARS

"From the bestselling author of "Derailed" comes an explosive new thriller about a disgraced journalist who stumbles upon an unimaginable conspiracy--but will anyone believe him?" (From Amazon)

An all right suspense novel but I think I am done with this author.
Kevin
Jun 16, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it
This book was not quite as good as others written by this author, but I still enjoyed it. A newspaper reporter covers the scene of a car crash and discovers a conspiracy that will keep your heart racing.
Adrielle
Here I drifted away from my norm in reading this. The blurb looked promising so I thought I'd go for it. I wasn't disappointed but didn't find it as gripping and fast paced as the blurb promised. It all starts with a car crash. That's all I'll say.
Daniel
Jun 07, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
The main character was really manipulated to report the story. We are never really told who is doing the manipulating. I assumed it was the government or a government agency but the reader is never really told who are the bad guys.
Peg
Oct 28, 2008 Peg rated it liked it
Pay close attention - should be read in large blocks so you can catch all the intertwining bits and pieces. Same fellow who wrote Derailed, which was a creepy, twisty movie Jennifer Aniston was in a few years back.
Sim
May 24, 2016 Sim rated it liked it
Even though this book was made up of short chapters and I thought the plot was interesting I still found it hard to read. I don't exactly know why. Overall I enjoyed the way Siegel played with the whole "boy who cried wolf" idea and also enjoyed the unexpected turn it took.
Joni
Jun 28, 2008 Joni rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: suspense fans
Recommended to Joni by: The author was one I'd read & liked
Once again, I have picked up a "new" book and opened it with great anticipation, only to discover that I have read it before!!

And it was just as good the second time!!!
Lynn Kearney
Jan 03, 2012 Lynn Kearney rated it liked it
A good airplane read. Very compelling on the seduction of journalistic cheating and how difficult redemption may be.
Linda
Jul 15, 2015 Linda rated it did not like it
Not nearly as good as his other two books I've read (Derailed and Detour); while I was reading, I kept thinking to myself 'I'll keep reading, hopefully it will get better', but it didn't.
Karen
Aug 25, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, fiction, mystery
This went on just a little too long. After a while I didn't really care if the guy was crazy or if there was a conspiracy or what.
Henni
Apr 19, 2015 Henni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spaending, 2015
til tider rigtig spændende, men det endelige plot var for meget for mig, ærgerlig for det er en velskrevet bog og hovedpersonen Tom Valle gør et godt indtryk på trods at hans åbenlyse problemer.
David
Sep 22, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
historia atrapante, medio extensa y pesada. Pero interesante para pasar el rato. Lo lei en un viaje a cordoba en medio del campo
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Manonski
Manonski rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2012
Jack Droher
Jack Droher rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
  • La mémoire fantôme (Lucie Hennebelle, #2)
  • Inside Passage (Corey Logan Trilogy, #1)
  • And One More Thing Before You Go...
  • Perhaps I've Said Too Much (A Great Big Book of Messing with People)
  • Shepherds Abiding/Esther's Gift/Mitford Snowmen (The Mitford Years #8) (Mitford Christmas)
  • Careful What You Wish For (Bedeviled, #3)
  • C'est La Folie
  • Das andere Kind
  • Missing Child
  • Stranglehold
  • Mania
  • Liv og legeme
  • The Passenger
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)
  • Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far