Deceit

Deceit

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From the bestselling author of "Derailed" comes an explosive new thriller about a disgraced journalist who stumbles upon an unimaginable conspiracy--but will anyone believe him?
Published August 1st 2009 by Warner Books (first published 2006)

Brenda I.

Yo. Soy quien la está escribiendo.
Tom Valle.

Oh mi dios!
Es la primera ves que un libro de este tipo me hizo sentir profundamente triste. - ahora me recrimino el dejarlo en "pendiente" por un tiempo - Siegel es un bendito genio.

"Puedes guardar un secreto sólo por un tiempo, y luego ya no puedes"

Ese Tom de verdad que paso por un verdadero martirio.
Lo único que me consterna es ese final. ¡¿Qué demonios?!
Infiero en que termino de alguna manera.
Lo de Dennis me hizo llorar. ¿Enserio?
¿Qué maldito canal...more
David Diamantes
Deceit was a good, but not great story. Siegel has a gift for creating great characters with plenty of depth. His protagonist in this story, like the one in Derailed, is a likable, smart guy with a flaw that's his undoing. Siegel's dialog is excellent. Read it aloud and you'll find yourself performing... that's the sign of a good storyteller. Why only 3 stars? Deceit was a little weaker than Derailed. There were a couple of places where I had to suspend reality in order to make it work. Then the...more
Bill Lancaster
This fast-paced novel starts with an automobile accident that is not really an accident, but the scene of a murder, though this is not obvious at the time. It continues with the 100th birthday of Belinda Washington in a retirement home and a reporter's discovery of a current happy birthday card from a son who is considered long dead.

From there it quickly moves into a page-turner with a wild series of incidents, some believable, some not so. Such as dam failures, the disappearance of a town, men...more
Monique
Hmm..was this close to giving this book a four until the last twenty or so pages then the page turning action stopped, the plot was revealed and the rest of the book dragged for me..since I did enjoy most of it I finished but was disappointed with the reveal..Okay so to set the stage there is a disgraced reporter Tom Valle, a journalistic failure who was revealed to have fabricated at least fifty six stories..After being exposed, humiliated and fired he wallowed in his misfortune until he found...more
Bern
Deceit is a tough one to review because although I rather enjoyed Mr. Siegel's style and thought the book was very good overall, some aspects of it were confusing and the plot gets hazy by the book's end.

I think it was a stroke of genius how the author used Tom Valle's widely-heard-of discredit to make me wonder whether the whole thing was just another lie Tom was spinning for some deranged purpose his mind felt needed tending to. As thrillers go, Deceit had me at the figurative edge of my seat,...more
Daniel
The main character was really manipulated to report the story. We are never really told who is doing the manipulating. I assumed it was the government or a government agency but the reader is never really told who are the bad guys.
Victoria Moore
"Deceit" by James Siegel is a mystery fiction that's written in a non-fiction style. Although the protagonist, journalist Tom Valle isn't very likeable his proficiency as a journalist is undeniable. As the story unfolds it doesn't seem that all of the parts will come together but Siegel does a great job of wrapping everything up. Providing the tension between Valle's past in New York and his present in Littleton, California is a thrilling incident that reflects contemporary issues our society i...more
Kelly
I was eager to read this book after thoroughly enjoying "Derailed" by the same author.

Big mistake. I was completely and utterly disappointed in this book. The ending seemed entirely far-fetched and completely unrealistic. I realize it's fiction, but it was borderline ridiculous to me.

Also, had I not been a history teacher that used to teach the development of the nuclear bomb, its testing, etc, I may not have even understood the ending as clearly.
Coki
CD Listened to - great reader with journalistic craggy voice (also I'm pretty sure he's done some commercial voiceovers which really freaks me out.) But great mystery that leads too the past, Santa Monica dlist actors, veterans affairs and nuclear testing. Loved loved loved the flashbacks about the rise and fall of an untruthful journalist. Also love Novelist for allowing me to get the title of this book with just a few small details.
Kelly
I just finished this book, and I LOVED IT! I've read all 3 other books by this author and am a huge fan. I was a bit worried that this one would be mediocre, based on reader reviews, but it greatly surpassed my expectations. I found it to be fast-paced, suspenseful, and absorbing. On a side note, I always like it when an author weaves bits of historical truth into an otherwise fictional story, as Siegel did here.
Peg
Pay close attention - should be read in large blocks so you can catch all the intertwining bits and pieces. Same fellow who wrote Derailed, which was a creepy, twisty movie Jennifer Aniston was in a few years back.
Kevin
This book was not quite as good as others written by this author, but I still enjoyed it. A newspaper reporter covers the scene of a car crash and discovers a conspiracy that will keep your heart racing.
Joni
Aug 14, 2008 Joni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: suspense fans
Recommended to Joni by: The author was one I'd read & liked
Once again, I have picked up a "new" book and opened it with great anticipation, only to discover that I have read it before!!

And it was just as good the second time!!!
Karen
This went on just a little too long. After a while I didn't really care if the guy was crazy or if there was a conspiracy or what.
Cynthia Sinsap
Interesting spiral of lies and deceit and truth
David
historia atrapante, medio extensa y pesada. Pero interesante para pasar el rato. Lo lei en un viaje a cordoba en medio del campo
Lynn Kearney
A good airplane read. Very compelling on the seduction of journalistic cheating and how difficult redemption may be.
Karen
The premise of this book is really scary and I have to wonder how much of it could be true.
J
Liked it. A bit far fetched towards then end but a good read nonetheless.
Marca
Started out with promise then lapsed into loony tunes.
Mich
not bad.. not as good as detour or derailed
Doron Yam
Another thriller - nothing unique.
Serina
amazing read!
Robert
Raw and emotional.
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tere J
Tere J marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Missing Child
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Careful What You Wish For (Bedeviled, #3)
  • Accused (Scott Fenney #2)
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Trail Of Blood (Theresa MacLean #3)
  • The Client / The Street Lawyer
  • Mamma, pappa, barn (Hammarbyserien, #2)
  • Mrs Sinclair's Suitcase
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • Lullaby (87th Precinct #41)
  • The 7th Day
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens #2)
  • She's Never Coming Back