Start by marking “Edenville Owls (Paperback)” as Want to Read:
Edenville Owls (Paperback)

Edenville Owls (Paperback)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  60 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Robert B. Parker?s first novel for young readers

There is something evil in the air ; Bobby senses it. Who is that man he saw arguing with his pretty new English teacher? Bobby knows he should mind his own business, but times are confusing. World War II just ended, and the world is changing? Bobby?s world, especially. There?s Joanie, for on
Published May 1st 2008 by Puffin (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Edenville Owls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edenville Owls

Cornmaven
This I think is Parker's story about the 'birth' of his Spenser character, as well as the beginning of his love for and relationship with his wife, Joan.

This is his first YA novel, very good and he does a pretty good job, but I think The Boxer and The Spy is better. The setting of post-WWII and the narratives about what life was like for an 8th grader back then are perhaps a bit too distant for modern 8th graders. But the emerging feelings about girls and sex are spot on, and I think he's done a
Karen
I just finished Edenville Owls by Robert B. Parker. It is the prolific mystery writer's first book for teens. Taking place just after WWII and full of period detail, this book could be considered historical fiction. But wait, it's also about a basketball team hoping to win a big tournament, so it could be considered a sports read. But wait again, most of the plot centers on the mystery of the strange man threatening fourteen-year-old Bobby's teacher, so it could also be considered a mystery-susp ...more
Trevor
Jul 30, 2007 Trevor rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boys, grades 5-8
Shelves: teen-lit-read
The Edenville Owls are the guys who sit in the back row of Miss Delaney’s eighth grade class, making remarks about their pretty teacher and talking about how winning their next basketball game. It’s 1945 in small town Edenville, WWII has ended a couple months earlier, winter is on its way, and five friends are looking forward to a statewide basketball tournament. Aside from the stuff 14 year-old guys think about — sports, girls, school, etc. — something strange, new and scary has come about. One ...more
David Ward
Edenville Owls by Robert B. Parker (Philomel Books 2007) (Fiction - Young Readers Mystery): I love the author's Spenser novels, and I'm the father of three teenagers who all love to read. I knew that Parker had written a handful of mysteries targeted at younger readers, so I thought I'd read a few to see whether the books might appeal to my kids. This is the first one I tried; it was geared to the youngest teens. The hero is a fourteen year old who, with the help of his friends, solves a mystery ...more
Patti
Sep 12, 2010 Patti rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sports and mystery fans
This is a good coming-of-age book, where a 14-year-old boy, Bobby Murphy, becomes a young man. The Edenville Owls starts off as a sports story, with a group of five friends who play basketball--they form a team and begin playing against local teams and schools. They don't have a coach or a basketball program at their school, but manage to learn to play as a team and learn that being in shape and prepared is better than a coach and great uniforms. This book is also a mystery--why is their junior ...more
Brady Jacklin
This book is ok because it had sports but was hard to follow. It was all about a basketball team and them trying to figure out how to win while helping out their teacher. I had a hard time following because there would be pages there would be the main story and then for a couple of pages a whole different story. But it is super easy read and the main story was pretty interesting. So if you want a fast read, read this.
Vicky
I truly enjoyed this book. It was an easy read. I liked the characters! It had a great sports plot too. My only criticism was that the story only told about the boys and Joanie. What about their families? Yes, this took place in the '40's when teenagers had more freedom, but the kids never seem to have a curfew, dinnertime, etc. It almost seemed like they were "homeless" kids...........
Robert Bason
I like Robert B Parker books so much that it's hard to give this one only three stars. It is the only young adult book that I think Parker Road during his lifetime. SPOILER ALERT: this tells the story of how Spencer met Joan when they were still both children. That was sort of fun.
Donna Mcnab
This book was included in a bag of books dropped off by my sister. We exchange books constantly. It is Robert B. Parker's first book written for "young readers", which I certainly am not, but I am inclined to read everything in sight, so I did read it and enjoyed it. The principal character is a very likeable 14 year old who is part of a five member basketball team (the Edenville Owls), also an admirer of his teacher who is obviously in trouble, and then has a friend who happens to be a girl, wh ...more
Karen & Gerard
Edenville Owls by Robert B. Parker is his first book for teen readers about a kid who shows remarkable leadership, compassion, and courage. He leads his 8th grade basketball team to the state championship game without a coach and only five boys called the Edenville Owls. He figured out how to help his nice English teacher out of a really bad situation and enjoyed a friendship with Joanie, a girl who was his best friend.

This is a quick-read, a good story with a kid who faced the question of how m
Ms. Okes
Although Edenville Owls is written with an elementary vocabulary, it sneaks concepts in that are at least middle school level. On the surface, the plot may seem like a small basketball team's run for the state championship, but there is more.
The book takes place after WW2, but describes the mixed feelings many soldiers had when they came home. Robert B. Parker periodically uses short essays to describe the popular culture of the time, from sports to radio to movies. He shows readers subtle diffe
Joy
Now that I've finished the books in Parker's Spenser, Jesse Stone, and
Sunny Randall series, I'm reading anything else of his that I can find.
This was the first of his books for teen readers, written in 2007. It
was excellent!! There is a teen hero who observes his teacher being
abused, and a friend (girl) is being abused by her father. So Bobby
sets out to make things right. Reminds me of Spenser.
Some wisdom: "You keep your mouth shut, you almost never get into trouble." And: I seemed to have to do
Kelly
Bobby Murphy takes it upon himself to help save his teacher from an abusive relationship, while also leading his basketball team, the Edenville Owls, to the state tournament. Bobby is also learning to cope with new sexual desires he is having at the age of 14.

This sports mystery was a well written and easy to read. Although the talk related to hormones of boys at this age is probably not too far fetched, the blatant talk about sex will turn off many adult readers. Younger readers may enjoy and r
Steve
Robert Parker's first book for late juvie or teens. Has the classic Parker elements of a fast story, action, and a take-charge protagonist who works hard at doing what is right without overstepping a self-imposed boundary. In many ways, the protagonist makes you think of a young, developing Spenser character, one who is very independent and has a very strong sense of right and wrong.

The story is based in the late 1940's and provides a snapshot on what life was like at that time. It also touches
Jake
This book was very good. It intrigued me because it was about basketball. Once the book began it took a major twist. The main characters teacher was beaten by her boyfriend. The kids began to investigate why the teacher was bruised. One night the kids suck into the teachers house to spy on her and to learn why she is with this man. Once they saw the man beating her they told the man to never come back and if he did they would call the cops and have him arrested. Over all it was a very good book.
B
Excellent story about a 14 year old boy whose teacher has a mysterious and violent man in her life. With the help of his basketball team, the Owls, and the one girl he has always felt comfortable with, Bobby works through how to help this woman in late 1940's Massachusetts. Loved the relationship between Bobby and Joanie, how the basketball team succeeds against all odds, and of course how they all deal with a very confusing but very real problem.
Chi Dubinski
Set in post World War II Massachuetts. Teenaged Bobby sees his pretty young teacher having words with a man in a parking lot. When she comes to school with bruises, he recruits some of his friends to protect her. Bobby has also put together a basketball team, the Owls, but they don’t have a coach. They compete with local teams and dream of entering a tournament. Parker, well known for his “Spenser” series, offers up his first young adult novel.
Savannah
Parker writes the same way for kids as he does for adults, and it works well as the laconic communication style of young teen boys (instead of sounding as though he's directly writing movie scripts). As is usual for his work, despite the gritiness he affects, it's quite sentimental. It also, as is rather too typical in kids' books, features kids barging in and solving adults' problems despite lack of any understanding of what's going on.
Geni
"Nazi Youth? Not in my town." I read this book really quick. It was actually really fun reading. I really enjoy reading about teenagers right after WWII, when America is trying to portray a County of Pleasantville.
There was no big twist, or violence. Just clever detective work. For Robert B Parkers first attempt to write a teen novel, I think he did a great job. I am actually interested in reading one of his other novels now.

bookczuk
Robert B Parker writes for teens and takes his clear, straightforward style and his skill with dialog to a new generation. Does all that and still weaves a tale to keep us old farts, and old fans interested.

The story of the Edenville Owls is part come-from-behind small town spunk, part wrestling with moral dilemma decisions, part hero and part burgeoning love in a bygone era. Good stuff.
Jason
This is a young adult book. I have a 7 yr old, who is smart and kind of mature, but I don't think he is ready for this yet. It was a cute story, and I enjoyed reading it, but it deals with a few issues that I am not ready for my kid to get into just yet. However, It is a good book, well-developed, and realistic. I enjoyed it as an easy read, and it was kind of interesting too.
Rachel
I LOVED this book! This book takes place just after World War 2, and is from a fourteen year old boy's point of view. This book has a mystery and is a bit confusing at times because the author doesn't tell you what is happening or what the main character, Bobby,is thinking, but overall a great book, but i recommend it for a bit older kids or teens. READ THIS BOOK!
Jessica Lane
Absolute perfection. I got this as an arc when I worked for the paper. I love Parker, but I put off reading this one because I was afraid he'd not be able to pull off the young adult thing. I was very wrong. Should have known better. This is an excellent book. Read it in one sitting and felt like I'd had a satisfying mental meal. Beautiful.
OK Dad
Downloaded this onto my daughter's Nook Color reader since it is a YA novel by RBP.

Hard not to picture him and and his beloved wife Joan as the lead characters, and "Bobby's" solution to the problem at hand is very RBP.

Very enjoyable and it may be a good introduction to one of mine (and my mothers) fave detective writers.

Rose
An interesting story, but I could tell it was written by someone who normally writes for adults. There was very much a sense of hindsight to it that you don't usually find in YA (which tends to happen right now, on the ground). A nice, short novel if you normally read adult books, though, and come to it from that mindset.
Mei
A YA book by Robert B. Parker, what a surprise! It was so short I finished it before I even realised it. Fairly enjoyable and the characters (the kids, at any rate) were likeable. Sweet little vignette of childhood in a different age.
Andrea
I really enjoyed a different kind of book by my beloved author. This book geared towards young adults was great. I really liked how he mixed the basketball and team building into the story. I think it would be a great example of how some kids feel about teachers who talk real with them and helps them to bond.
Kathleen
This was okay, but in general, I'm unhappy with Parker's foray into YA lit, which in turn makes me sad! I love RBP--he's been my secret weekend reads since spring break, 1989--and I'd love to turn some younger readers onto Spenser. But so far, I've not found a YA read by him that would make them at all interested.
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Poodle Springs
  • The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1)
  • Rat Life
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • Dark Sons
  • Surf Mules
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
  • Eyes of the Emperor
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • New Found Land: Lewis and Clark's  Voyage of Discovery
  • Rucker Park Setup
  • Murdered, My Sweet
  • The Perfect Shot
  • Open Ice
  • Slot Machine (Elvin, #1)
  • Monkey Town: The Summer of the Scopes Trial
  • The Loud Silence of Francine Green
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Chance (Spenser, #23) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)