Start by marking “The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns” as Want to Read:
The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns

The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  2,970 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
THE KITE RUNNER

Over five years on the New York Times bestseller list, and published in 55 different languages.

Taking us from Afghanistan in the final days of the monarchy to the present, The Kite Runner is the unforgettable, beautifully told story of the friendship between two boys growing up in Kabul. Raised in the same household and sharing the same wet nurse, Amir and H
Numbered and Signed
Published 2008 by Bloomsbury

Marcy
May 05, 2008 Marcy rated it it was amazing
I loved both books with all my heart! Both reads are quite psychological from the point of view of several characters within each story.
Faeq
Nov 15, 2012 Faeq added it
The Kite Runner is about a powerful kinship between Amir and his friend Hassan in the once peaceful Afghanistan. Hassan is Amir’s father’s servant’s son. Whenever a bully came, Hassan stepped in and stopped it. One day a bully named Assef came and did something so bad to Hassan that he did not come out of his room for months. This caused his father to think there was something wrong with his Amir and his son’s relationship. Because of this, Hassan’s father and Hassan quit being Amir’s servants ...more
Joy
Feb 15, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing
A Thousand Splendid Suns was such an eye opener about women and how they are treated in Afghanistan. I would encourage all women to read this for a better understanding of women in other countries. So sad how a lie and war can change lives.
Kate
May 16, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
I had mixed feelings about The Kite Runner. It tells the story of two best friends, and the aftermath of a horrible incident with one. While the book is very well written and provides some insight into the history of Afghanistan, the main character inspires no sympathy, and is a very training reading. A Thousand Splendid Suns on the other hand is one of the best books I have read. It is about two women whose lives are forever binded when they are forced to marry a brutish man. From the beginning ...more
Karen
May 18, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
The Kite Runner's 384 pages turned quickly. It's a father-son story, as oppposed to A Thousand Splendid Suns' 384 pages which provide a voice of hope for the women of Afhganistan. Both of these protagonists suffer, suffer, suffer. A Thousand Splendid Suns provides a much darker tale.
Betty Strohecker
Continuing in the vein of The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns relays another of what must be many horrifying stories of the struggle to survive in Afghanistan after the monarchy. It tells in detail about the Soviet takeover and then that of the Taliban, as everyday people try to live in the violence and destruction that surround them. Amidst degradation and suffering, there is a triumph of the human spirit, as two women from different generations bond to support and care for each other. Un ...more
Namratha Shenoy
Mar 06, 2015 Namratha Shenoy rated it it was amazing
THE THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS! Best book ever read! :) The letter at end of the story will make one weep. "Fate"- It's a thing no one can change.Real love- It's a thing no one can take away from you.Life and fate cannot be changed. It's the way you see life to be changed. Once you realize this, all happiness and all your dreams will shower upon you vanishing the hardships. kudos to the author! Great book!
Elaine
Feb 13, 2009 Elaine added it
I read the hard-backed version I borrowed from the library. Though painful to absorb its stories of cruelty to ordinary people from oppressive regimes, I appreciated the personal story of guilt and the search for forgiveness. Also insightful, is the view of the Afghan immigrant in northern California.
Monika Rashid
Nov 13, 2012 Monika Rashid rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I actually started understanding and respecting my mother , or may be my grandmother more and more! I must say that the author could see through the heart of these women very honestly! His women are so real, the society is so very much true... A very much worth read.
Nihar
Jul 17, 2016 Nihar added it
ভাগয দেবী সহায়, নাহলে কোনদিন ইংলিশ নামক ভাষাটায় নুনযতম দকষতাটা হতো না হয়ত, আসলে আমি বলতে চাইছি আমি মুগধতা গরাস করেছে; এমন সাবলীল বই বাংলায় কি অনুবাদ করা হয়নি? নাকি আমি হাতে পাইনি? সে যাই হোক! সেসব যাই হোক! ...more
Helen
Jan 30, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
I read these books some time ago, around the time first published and loved them. I think I'd like to read A Thousand Setting Suns again. The lives of Muslim women are so compelling, so miserably different than American women that I find I want to know more.
Haider Ali
Feb 05, 2014 Haider Ali rated it it was amazing
Khaled such a beautiful description of Afg nd u can realise how tough country tht is specially for women. In splendid suns he narrates story of laliaa and maryam such a terrific style of writing
Cheryl
Dec 25, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I loved both these novels. Both books explore life in another country, culture and religion. They opened my eyes to life seen in different perspectives, and experiences. Great read and for both, I was hard pressed to put these down while reading them.
Rosina
Dec 06, 2016 Rosina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi hanno rapito il cuore
Nivi Selvaraj
Dec 30, 2016 Nivi Selvaraj rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking and emotional, narrative is splendid.
Mary Christy
Apr 30, 2015 Mary Christy rated it it was amazing
When I was in high school, I was required to read Kite Runner for an English class. I really enjoyed the book, and after sharing this with a past English teacher, she recommended that I read A Thousand Splendid Suns. She assured me that it was even better than Kite Runner - and she certainly wasn't lying! I thought this book was phenomenal, if horribly tragic. Though it wasn't entirely uplifting, this novel contained important lessons that I still carry with me today. The one that stuck out to m ...more
Narjis Muzaffar
Oct 21, 2015 Narjis Muzaffar rated it it was amazing
"the kite runner "is a masterpiece.. "painfully honest",merciless truth...!!!! Hosseini very skillfully depicts the love and respect Hassan hath for Amir... his unconditional feelings, his deep and eternal and never-ending warmth for Amir. How he unravels the aftermath of wars on lives... is epic...., this book not only provides the reader with an awsm storyline, rather, an account of what truly Afghanistan suffered too.. as Hosseini says"there are many children in Afghanistan, but a little chil ...more
Sunitha
May 09, 2008 Sunitha rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sunitha by: my brother
The Kite Runner:
Its one of the best books I have read. Not that I have read too many.Nevertheless, i would still like to share my opinion of the book. There are so many aspects that I really liked about this one. I am touched by Hassan's innocent, undoubting faith in his best friend Amir. 'A thousand times over for you'...is one of the most stirring lines of the book.

A thousand splendid suns:
I had a lot of expectations of this book and had waited quite a long time to get it. Khaled Husseini's w
Anna Martinez
Oct 17, 2008 Anna Martinez rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who want to better understand recent history in Afghanistan
I liked both books. Not only were they fascinating stories of people in Afghanistan, but they also gave me a better understanding of their recent history. I liked The Kite Runner because of the way it went back and forth from Afghanistan to the Bay Area. My favorite was A Thousand Splendid Suns. I marvel at the strength of the women who are oppressed by men in a culture that condones such behavior. Laila and Mariiam develop a strong friendship, and I like the fact that in the end. . well, maybe ...more
Nanci
Mar 27, 2015 Nanci rated it it was amazing
I love these books, not only because they are well written, but because they allow me to travel to a country that I might not otherwise see because of the unrest and savagery of war. I also love that the author doesn't try to shield us from the horrors that have plagued his country, but yet shows his intense love of his country.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is my favorite of the two because of the relationships of women that serve as a main theme, but both books fully deserve a five star rating.
Carli
Apr 18, 2008 Carli rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story that is a real eye-opener about how women are treated by extreme orthodox Islamists. Both books made me appreciate the freedoms we enjoy here in America and feel grateful for the life I live. Both books are very well written, but I feel more connected to A thousand Splendid Suns more than I did with Kite Runner because it is about women,love, and wife/husband relationships.
Both are amazing books!
alice
Jan 10, 2013 alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi ha turbato profondamente questo libro e faticherò a riprendere in mano un prodotto di questo scrittore.. so che è da struzzi e sostanzialmente da stronzi mettere la testa nella sabbia e fare finta che certe cose non esistano, ma ho pianto dalla terza pagina all'ultima e ogni volta che ci penso mi fa stare davvero male. Continuo a dirmi che io per loro non posso fare niente, ma non so se è vero.
Laurie
Feb 05, 2013 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Simply put a must to read. I found the Kite Runner a treasure in terms of the richness of the storyline. While there are many twists and turns of good and evil it is ultimately a triumphant tale. One Thousand Splendid Suns tells a story but the overtones are far more historical of the devastating politics of the Taliban rule and devastation. In no way did I ever feel elated as it depicts a grim reality. Still, a page turner to see the outcome of its central characters.
Melissa
Aug 18, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
So for some reason I couldn't find The Kite Runner by itself, but this review is on The Kite Runner only, as I've reviewed A Thousand Splendid Suns separately. Amazing book. Emotional and insightful. It's a history lesson wrapped up in an amazing novel. Shocking twist included. Highly recommend this one!
Swithin Fry
May 08, 2011 Swithin Fry rated it it was ok
Not reading Kite Runner...but Thousand Suns. Going OK - but the style is a bit plonkly, esp as my last book was Middlesex and I just couldn't put it down. I keep getting tempted to quit...I'm not one for keeping going with books if they don't grab me...but I persist - mainly as this comes highly recommended by my elder daughter, a great reader with whom I mostly share bookish opinions...
Diana Cardoza
Aug 04, 2013 Diana Cardoza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
a revelation, we live in such sheltered worlds that it is hard to imagine such brutality exist, very well written and this book manages to capture you, even after finishing this book it will remain on your mind for a very long time. Khaled Hosseini is a brilliant author and this book is a must read for all..
Joyce
May 17, 2008 Joyce rated it it was amazing
After enjoying the Kite Runner, I wanted to continue to explore the Afghanistan culture, this time through the eyes of women. The author Khaled Hosseini did not disappoint me! This is a rich, thought provoking story. I listened to both of these books on CD and I believe it was easier for me to keep all of the names straight! If you have not read these books, I would encourage you to make time!
Cindy
Jun 24, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Like Kiterunner, this book is sad, but so interesting. While reading, I found myself thinking of myself at the age the character was at different times in the book or myself at the different years mentioned in this book. I thought of all the choices I had as a woman in America that this girl did not have. It made me very grateful for the life and choices I've had.
Antonella
3 stelle per "Il cacciatore di aquiloni".

Primo romanzo di Hosseini. Carino, storia a
tratti commovente. Mi aspettavo qualcosa
di più, ma nel complesso è stata una
piacevole lettura. =)

4 stelle per "Mille splendidi soli".

Molto più bello questo secondo lavoro
dell'autore! Storia bellissima!!! Lo consiglio
molto di più del primo! Merita davvero.
DrNitin Vohra
Nov 25, 2016 DrNitin Vohra rated it it was amazing
Khaled Hosseini has that unique gift of putting a tear in your eyes & a smile on your lips at the same time.His narration tugs the strings of your heart when everything is calm. As an Indian I relate by his books to my childhood indicating the similarities in culture of the subcontinent. No wonder his books are prime collectibles for me. Love your world Khaled Hosseini & loved it's journey....
A Thousand Splendid Suns, dissertation. 1 3 Jun 07, 2014 12:41AM
  • The Kite Runner: A Portrait of the Marc Forster Film
  • All My Sins remembered
  • Persian Brides: A Novel
  • Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner (Bloom's Guides)
  • Io sono di legno
  • Bookclub in a Box Discusses Khaled Hosseini's Novel The Kite Runner
  • The Copper Beech / Evening Class
  • Enough To Make A Cat Laugh
  • The Labrador Pact
  • Se ti abbraccio non aver paura: Il viaggio di Franco e Andrea
  • The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1)
  • One Day on Mars
  • Something Like Love
  • Le prime luci del mattino
  • Un uso qualunque di te
  • To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee: Novel Guide
  • Junie B. Jones (Junie B. Jones, #1-3)
  • Before I Knew You
Hosseini was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1965. In 1970 Hosseini and his family moved to Iran where his father worked for the Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran. In 1973 Hosseini's family returned to Kabul, and Hosseini's youngest brother was born in July of that year.
In 1976, when Hosseini was 11 years old, Hosseini's father obtained a job in Paris, France, and moved the family there. They were u
More about Khaled Hosseini...