Start by marking “The Book of Jude” as Want to Read:
The Book of Jude

The Book of Jude

Published April 1st 2008 by Front Street, Incorporated (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Jude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Jude

Lisa
Apr 21, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
First, what I liked. It takes place in Czechoslovakia in the late 1980's. Cool. Surprise! It's about a mormon family by a writer with absolutley no ax to grind! I had no idea about that when I picked it up at the lib. That was also cool. The writing flowed. The characters worked. Okay, what I didn't like: Why the mental illness? It was like two different stories. I'm a mormon who got uprooted to Czechoslovakia for a year, I have to sneak around to practice my faith, there's all this political ...more
Melonie
Nov 30, 2010 Melonie rated it liked it
well-written, interesting look at a teenagers descent into bipolar disorder and her family's reaction. I would like to have seen more interaction with Jude's twin sister.
Christian McKay
May 14, 2008 Christian McKay rated it really liked it
This book caught me off guard. It began so casually, a toasty life in an intellectual Mormon household, I barely noticed the shadow of the impending tidal wave. To say anything more would spoil the story, so I'll focus on other things.

First, the author's language is effortless. She portrays complex ideas about psychology and history throughout Jude's journey, but I never found myself glazing over. Her descriptions were simple and vivid enough that dates and facts, normally lost on me, stayed put
Portia P.
Nov 17, 2013 Portia P. rated it it was ok
This book had me in fits trying to find its flow. I wanted to abandon it, but trudged through as bread crumbs of interesting tidbits kept falling through the yawning moments.

Finally, once the discovery of a diagnosis was revealed for main character/narrator Judith Grace Weelock, the jumbled beginning half of the book seemed to make more sense.

If in fact it was the author's intention to have the reader experience the turmoil of the 'stream of consciousness' loose narrative as Jude struggles with
Clay
May 07, 2008 Clay rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Betsy
Apr 08, 2008 Betsy rated it liked it
Jude (short for Judith) is 15 when her family moves from New York City to Prague for her mother's Fulbright. The move is more problematic for Jude than for her two sisters, and she begins to struggle with her mental health. She is diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, and learns about the problems she will face as she moves forward and heals. The ending is hopeful but fairly unresolved.

Heuston's writing is lovely, like her other novels. The characters are well-drawn, and the story pul
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, mormons
"Summary: In 1989, when fifteen-year-old Jude's mother wins a Fulbright fellowship to study art in Czechoslovakia, the family postpones a planned move to Utah to join her, but the political situation and the move itself are too much for Jude, who is overwhelmed by a previously undiagnosed psychological disorder."

This is the second of five books that I plan to read because of an article that appeared this fall in School Library Journal regarding depictions of Mormonism is young adult literature.
Ricki
Mar 01, 2009 Ricki rated it it was ok
Meaghan
May 22, 2012 Meaghan rated it liked it
I liked the first half of this book much better than the second half. In the first half, Jude seemed like a quite normal teenager, unhappy about having to move to another country, and the suffocating environment of Communist Czechoslovakia was vividly described. Then she just goes stark raving mad, and I'm like, what? The diagnosis given was borderline personality disorder, but it really didn't seem to fit. I think the author rushed it; it was like she didn't really care to describe Jude's ...more
Kim
Mar 03, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
I checked this book out of the library totally forgetting why I had it on my list. The Book of Jude is a fictional story of a young LDS teenager who struggles with a personality disorder. The writing was good and I think the book had potential, I just didn't think the story was developed enough for the complexity of the topic. However, since it is YA fiction, maybe a teenager reading this book would have a different perspective and wouldn't expect much more. I also thought the LDS aspects of the ...more
Donna
Dec 02, 2008 Donna rated it really liked it
This was a good book, written for young adults and perfect for book groups. It's by a Mormon author about a Mormon family who moves from New York City to Czechoslovakia in 1989 because the mother gets a Fulbright scholarship to study there. The story is mainly about the 15-year-old daughter, Jude, and her mental illness. I liked the way her issues coincide with the Berlin Wall coming down. Great historical fiction that gives a good window into that time period in that country.
Daria
Mar 27, 2009 Daria rated it it was ok
Rachel
Dec 22, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok
Elements just don't work together, setting, characters and religious elements don't fit together and in the end it just does not work
Nia Vestal
Aug 16, 2011 Nia Vestal rated it it was ok
Interesting plot but I felt Jude's character was weak and it was too much of a Girl Interrupted plot but with the Mormon religion
Devi Barcena
Apr 13, 2015 Devi Barcena rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I am usually a fan of books that dabble in psychology but not with this one. At the very end, I was left uncertain whether the book is about the character or about the setting.
Beth
Jun 25, 2008 Beth rated it it was ok
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
May 15, 2009
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2011
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2009
Valynne Maetani
Valynne Maetani rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2008
Kim Reid
Kim Reid rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2011
Beth Sahd
Beth Sahd rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Holly
Jun 27, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2010
Like a nightmare.
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2010
E
E rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2008
Lrashid
Lrashid rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2008
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2010
Katelynn
Katelynn rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2008
Kimberley Heuston was born in Provo, Utah and grew up in New York City. As a child, her family frequently visited St. Johnsbury, which became the setting for The Shakeress. She teaches school in Salt Lake City, Utah, where she lives with her four children.

Kimberley is also known as Kimberley Sorenson and Kimberley Burton Heuston.
More about Kimberley Heuston...