Start by marking “Fatal Revenant (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Revenant (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)

Fatal Revenant (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant #2)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  4,164 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
The instant New York Times bestseller, and the return of the Thomas Covenant series? ?a landmark fantasy saga.?(Entertainment Weekly)

In the most eagerly-awaited literary sequel in years, Linden Avery, who loved Thomas Covenant and watched him die at the end of Book Six, has returned to the Land in search of her kidnapped son, Jeremiah. As Fatal Revenant begins, Linden watc
Published August 5th 2008 by Ace (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Revenant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Revenant

Greg Hamerton
I loved the first Chronicles and applauded the second. The third Chronicles began in a cunning way, and I was eager to be swept away into the Land once again. But this book, Fatal Revenant, dragged at my heels.

It could be cut by 400 pages and still tell the same story, and the excessive use of anachronistic (damn, he's doing it to me too now, I mean to say old) and downright obscure adjectives highlight the problem: Donaldson insists on telling us exactly what every single thing means, and every
Nancy
From The Runes to Revenant, with nary a pause (much to be said for holding off on jumping into a series), so some momentum was maintained. That being said, however, this book started to annoy me.

The writing, no change there, and I could live with the repetition (just read faster), but some elements of the story and Linden herself were less than palatable. On the journey to Melenkurion, it seemed pretty obvious pretty early on that sometime was seriously amiss, and Linden seemed utterly unable t
Tim
Jun 25, 2009 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
I'll probably stick with it simply because I've gotten this far, but this series has now well and truly worn on me. It all seems to come down to a series of journeys, one after the other. They're always either heading somewhere or on their way back from somewhere else which causes about 70% of the book to be filler between significant events (5% of which is Donaldson abusing his pet-word, "lambent".). This is compounded by the fact that the entire book is told without exception from the viewpoin ...more
Michael
Nov 11, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Covenant series has always been my favorite epic fantasy series. Donaldson rewards the patient reader, and this volume is no exception to that. I had the opportunity to hear Donaldson discuss the series in person, and he noted that he'd envisioned the end of the final book - _The Last Dark_ - when he began to outline _The Wounded Land_, over 25 years ago. You have to admire that kind of foresight, if only because such foresight seems to be lacking in other series fiction.

Donaldson brings bac
Kevinalbee
VDonaldsons stories of the Land filled my teen years with great joy. Even in the wounded land when he caused me great pain. In his own words "the best way to hurt some one is to take away something they love and give it back broken."

The Runes of the earth and its sequal Fatal Revenant continue this saga. thomas Covanant is dead and the torch is passed to his companion of the second trilogy Linden Avery.

Frankly I was disappointed. I can hardly wait to see what happens but these are not Stephen Do
Matt Hart
It was Stephen R. that really kicked off my love of reading. I picked up the The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever at a low time in my life, and it helped me through it. The second Chronicles looked like the end, but I was happy when Donaldson added the third series.

The first book was okay, but this one...

It was such a struggle to read. Angst is key to the Covenant character, sure, but he eventually gets over it, and it doesn't rule the story.

In Revanent, I felt like I was transporte
Steve
“Be cautious of love. There is a glamour upon it which binds the heart to destruction.”

This is a warning given to Linden Avery, newly returned to The Land. Once known as The Chosen, Linden strives to save The Land from peril at the hands of Lord Foul. More importantly, she seeks to rescue her son from his clutches. FATAL REVENANT picks up at the precise moment where its predecessor, THE RUNES OF THE EARTH, left off.

Revelstone is under siege. Linden and her friends feel the weight of hopelessness
Elliott Bignell
Apr 10, 2015 Elliott Bignell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is shaping up into a worthy successor to the previous sets. Action-packed, exciting and at the same time weighty, it is serious fantasy at its best. I devoured the earlier series as a younger man and was tremendously excited to see a third series emerge. There is always the danger that an author will do a series ad nauseam and run out of creative ideas at the end, spoiling the memory, but Donaldson has spent a long time coming up with this and appears to have avoided the trap.

This mi
Michael
Apr 17, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was at work a couple of years ago when a country song came on the radio. The person I was working with looked at me and said, " I just don't believe the singer." That's how I feel about Stephen R. Donaldson's protagonist Linden Avery in the 2nd book in this series, "Fatal Revenant." Hamlet-ing her way through the next installment of the story, I just felt frustrated by her. Reading this book is like taking a long car ride with someone who just whines the whole trip about themselves. It's partl ...more
RED
Dec 07, 2010 RED rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Frickety-frackety-frunk!" spat Covenant.

"He's right, Mom," said Jeremiah.

"I don't understand," Linden whined.

Jeez.

That's only the first part of this book, but Part Two doesn't get much better. Oh, well. I'm into the third book of the series now, and I suppose I'll have to finish it out.

Let's do this.
Rob Hermanowski
May 13, 2013 Rob Hermanowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, audio-book
Re-read this (Book 2 of the Last Chronicles, Book 8 in the complete saga) in my grand re-read of the entire Thomas Covenenat series, culminating in Book 10 (being published this October)! This is the audio version by the always outstanding Scott Brick. Complex and intricate - I loved every minute of it!
Terence
Jun 05, 2008 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I've been pleasantly surprised by this third chronicle of the Land. It doesn't have the same impact at the original story about Covenant but Donaldson's a master story teller.

He also has a solid ear for names; rarely do they sound "off."
Tobin Elliott
As I said in my review of The Runes of the Earth, the first book in this Last Chronicles series could have been subtitled Arrogance. This second book in the series could be subtitled Apprehension because there's so much damn waffling. Linden wants to ask Covenant questions, hell she actually forms them in her mind, then asks something completely different. Why?

I will say Donaldson's plotting has become much better with age, however I am not enjoying the pages and pages, chapters and chapters of
Ellen
May 13, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I need fantasy, and the Thomas Covenant series really fits the bill. This book was weirder than any of the previous ones, but Donaldson has always written outside the box. I didn't find this one as satisfying as I have previous books in the series, but I am in it for the long hall -- ever since 1979 when I met Stephen R. Donaldson at a talk at SUNY Brockport in New York state. I told him I was having trouble with the first few chapters of the first book in the first chronicl ...more
Brad Wilcox
Apr 08, 2014 Brad Wilcox rated it it was ok
The disappointment I feel over The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant so far is like an innominate puissance that has left my love for Stephen R. Donaldson quite frangible. (If you have read the book, you’ll understand the obscure word choices.)

Like many others, I am a huge fan of the first two chronicles, but also, as for many others, the first two books of the last chronicles have been a chore to get through. I had hoped that Fatal Revenant would outshine Runes of the Earth, but that was not
Peter
Jan 22, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*****

The five star review is based on Donaldson's use if the lore he's created with the series to constantly up the gambit, increase the tension and bring old and newer powers to life with a pulse that had me spellbound from the first chapter.

Donaldson has reached into the depths of the universe he's created, and isn't afraid to pull in and mix ancient heroes with new twists on the inner workings of The Land. A lot of previously disparate fates are woven together to form a world that feels very
D-day
Jan 01, 2012 D-day rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to D-day by: 1
Fatal Revenant , the second book in the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is an improvement over the prior installment Runes of the Earth, although it takes a while to get going. It's not until Linden travels back to the time of Berek Halfhand that the story finally picks up steam. The major problem with the story is Linden herself. She is a good character but Donaldson has her perpetually in the dark about things. Linden goes somewhere, mysterious character tells Linden she doesn't understand ...more
Marie
Sep 14, 2011 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Well having read the previous 7 I had to read number 8 (1 to go) but I am afraid it is becoming a little bit of a duty rather than a pleasure. I think I read number one around 20 years ago so no surprise that my memory of the plot is lacking in details and a hell of a lot of characters have died since then.

This book was really slow to get going which is not agreeable when there are 500+ pages to trudge through. I have a fairly respectable vocabulary but I was irritated constantly by the number o
Neil Fein
Feb 13, 2010 Neil Fein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up where the cliffhanger ending of The Runes of the Earth left off, Thomas Covenant leads Linden Avery on a quest to use the power of the Blood of the Earth. Linden finds quickly that she doesn't trust her old friend as much as she should, and refuses to surrender the power of Covenant's white gold ring to the rightful wielder.

If this makes no sense, it means you're seven books behind the story. There's no sense in pretending, "What has gone before" prologues aside, that these books are
Lucinda
Apr 02, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You may wonder why i have chosen book 2 of 'The last chronicles' and not 'the chronicles' (that contain 3 books) as this is not the end of the saga but rather the introduction to the ending. This is a series that contains 9 books, 2 extra additional novels and also 5 'gap' novels that compliment this epic saga; so certainly a lot of written material! This work by Stephen Donaldson is the closest any author has come to the works of JRR Tolkien as it embodies all of his density and richness of cre ...more
Robin Gilbert
Where once the depth and richness imbued by his 'clever words' added mystery and excitement, now I read over them as if they're not there. I also prefer Thomas to Linden and find myself getting rather sick of her self-pitying whine. "Just get on with it, woman!" I hear myself thinking, usually when I'm skipping the latest short but random assortment of unpronounceable letters. (I've been putting together Seven Words of my own.)

I always feel the time travelling thread is a cop-out and dislike it
David
Jun 01, 2008 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Once you've invested the time and mindshare to read the first seven books of a series, you're obligated to read the eight, right? I probably should have given up after the first or second trilogy. This book (the eighth in the Thomas Covenant series, with a 20-plus-year gap between the second and third trilogies) was dark, dense, and difficult. The mood was a consistent downer - probably what Stephen Donaldson was trying for, but in an epic of this scope, you've gotta have some variety.

The most i
Sam C
Jan 24, 2008 Sam C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*wants to give it a 4 1/2 but can't*

Wow, once again I was blown away by Donaldson's incredible ability to tell a story, the depth of the character's he's created along with the Land's past is so detailed that it honeslty reminds me of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. The whole thing is just so developed and intensely intelligent that all of his books are addicting and extremely enjoyable.

My only problem with this book was that it's nearly 600 pages long and after all that, the main characters seems to on
Wendy
Aug 07, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not 100% sure what to say about this book. I felt obliged to read and finish it because it's book 8 out of 9 [Edit: I just realised it is 10! Oh no!] of a series that I loved when I was younger (although book 7 was disappointing), but damn it was longwinded and repetitive.

Nancy's review pretty much sums up how I felt about the length of the book and Linden's personality changes, and another reviewer mentioned that this shouldn't have been called a chronicles of Thomas Covenant, since he basi
John
Feb 11, 2011 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. I read the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant way back in what--1977? I fell in love with the depth and breadth of the storytelling. It was overflowing with rich language, interesting themes and conflicting characterizations. all woven together to wrap me in such a complex, full saga, that I couldn't get enough of it.

I also read the Second Chronicles. which game me (more or less) the same experience, and I remember enjoying it greatly.

Cut to the latest, the "Last" Chronicles of Thomas Cov
Ryan Barton
Stephen R. Donaldson is beginning to remind me of George Lucas. In this, the second installment of the third trilogy set in the Land by Donaldson, I wonder if he has not overstayed his welcome. The Runes of the Earth represented a slow, slow descent back into the Land, and while Revenant represents a bit of an uptick, I cannot help but feel that I am in for a "Yeah, been there done that..." moment in the final book of this latest Thomas Covenant trilogy. In point of fact, the last chapter of t ...more
Dale
Dec 10, 2007 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the twenty-ninth book I read on my commute, and after a nice break of four or five other books, a return to the fantasy genre.

As I alluded to in a previous review, Fatal Revenant is the second book in a tetralogy (one of several series that I am currently in the middle of, which is what happens when you read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy as it's being published) called the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. The original Chronicles of Thomas Covenant was a trilogy published in the late 70'
Mark Vandervinne
Mar 17, 2010 Mark Vandervinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donaldson and Covenant still continue to excite and entice. I do agree with others, there gets to be a little excess doubt and repetition, but the story remains strong, and Donaldson's vision of the world and its characters are engrossing. Linden Avery is center stage i the Last Chronicales, but Covenant does play a much larger role than in the first book of the Last Chronicles. Not as good as the first two trilogies, but for the lovers of the Land and Covenant, it's good to be back. Note: the o ...more
Mayur Wadhwani
Jun 08, 2014 Mayur Wadhwani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was way better than preceding one. Much more took place, along with an inclusion of a completely new race, the Insequent.
However many things did annoy me.
Why could linden not understand that something is wrong with Thomas when he came back?
But the revelation was better than I hoped.
And giants are back! We meet the skurj. Though many things are still unclear.
Best was the end, I immediately went on to read the next book with respite.
Good book.
Jeff
Jan 21, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have been a fan of the Thomas Covenant series for a couple of decades. This book focuses primarily on the inner struggles of Linden Avery as she journeys through the Land in search of a way to help her son Jeremiah. One of the neat things about this book is that Donaldson tends to use a lot of obscure words that you don't find in most fantasy literature. You will certainly have new tools in your verbal arsenal after reading it.

The book is incredibly introspective and almost feels like Dostoye
Madison Mega-Mara...: Fatal Revenant 1 3 Jan 21, 2012 02:54PM
  • The Atlas of the Land: A Complete Guide to the Strange and Magical Land of Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
  • Childe Morgan (The Childe Morgan #2)
  • Blood Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #2)
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • Jumper Cable (Xanth, #33)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • The Bastard King (Scepter of Mercy #1)
  • Shadowplay (Shadowmarch, #2)
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction, and mystery novelist; in the United Kingdom he is usually called "Stephen Donaldson" (without the "R"). He has also written non-fiction under the pen name Reed Stephens.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION:

Stephen R. Donaldson was born May 13, 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prostheti
More about Stephen R. Donaldson...

The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (4 books)
  • The Runes of the Earth (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)
  • Against All Things Ending (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)
  • The Last Dark (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #4 )

“When all hope was gone, they heeded the counsels of despair. Had they continued to strive, defying their doom, some unforseen wonder might have occurred. And if it did not, still their glory would have surpassed their failure.” 3 likes
“for all contempt turns upon the contemptuous, as it must.” 2 likes