Start by marking “Winter Trees” as Want to Read:
Winter Trees

Winter Trees

The poems in this collection were all written in the last nine months of Sylvia Plath's life, and form part of the group from which the 'Ariel' poems were chosen. Her radio play 'Three Women', also included here, was written slightly earlier, in the transitional period between 'The Colossus' and 'Ariel'.
Unknown Binding, 55 pages
Published 1975 by Not Avail (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Trees

Mariel
Jun 14, 2013 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the rabbit catcher
Recommended to Mariel by: Sean
And so I stand, a little sightless. So I walk
Away on wheels, instead of legs, they serve as well.
And learn to speak with fingers, not a tongue.
The body is resourceful.
The body of a starfish can grow back its arms
And newts are prodigal in legs. And may I be
As prodigal in what lacks me.

The second voice is beautiful, not hopeless....
The third voice is a wound. She leaves behind, the white skin after a bandage. Hospital beds, pats on back. Self administered and administration. Ministrations
Theresa
Oct 01, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Sylvia Plath's poems are so vivid, haunting, and absolutely gorgeous. *goosebumps*
Marily
J’ai mis plusieurs mois à lire La Traversée et Arbres d’hiver et ce n’est pas pour rien: Sylvia Plath a une plume qui fait mal et ses excellents poèmes sont souvent assez perturbants. Sa façon de mélanger des thèmes plus ou moins légers et des rimes faciles à des sujets sombres et lourds (la trahison, le suicide, le regret d’avoir des enfants, la médiocrité de dieu et de la vie, etc.) rend la lecture… douloureuse. Des mois à alterner entre « aouch » et « wow ».

Je n’ai pas particulièrement appré
Zee
Jul 16, 2010 Zee rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, booksread2010
This slim collection contains poems by the late Sylvia Plath which were written during the last nine months of her life. They are hailed to be the most revealing and enigmatic of her works which document the simultaneous mourning and celebration of the human condition.

It is hard to read a Plath poem without taking her life into consideration. While most poets write with pen and ink, you get a sense that Plath went one step further and wrote from the blood. Plath had a dark gift, a way of tapping
Kristin
Mar 21, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe that these poems were not included in the Ariel collection, rather printed here in Winter Trees, although they were written at the same time. Each time I read any of these poems I am reminded of moments as a lover, a mother, and a female friend that I have felt emotions that are not easily admitted to. Not easily admitted to, and often difficult to put words to. Sylvia Plath puts words to these, sometimes clearly, directly, and sometimes in a watery, roundabout way. Winter Trees is an ...more
Ellie Rose McKee
Apr 09, 2013 Ellie Rose McKee rated it it was amazing
Usually, when poetry is vague (intentionally or not) I find it difficult to enjoy let alone connect with and cherish. That wasn't the case here.
Here, in this book, I know that there are so many things going on underneath the surface of each word that I could never fully grasp, but my inability to grasp at such things hasn't taken away from my experience.
This poetry is beautifully written, because it's been deeply felt by its author and I think that's why I love it so much.
Anna
Dec 29, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
'Three Women', and 'Lesbos' are standouts - perspective, building of a character in such short spaces...'Mary's Song' is haunting.
Elke Sisco
Jan 10, 2016 Elke Sisco rated it really liked it
I don't understand half of her poems, and wonder how it is that I like her as a poet - and then I get to Three Women, and every single word is just perfect, and I GET IT.
Jessica Brake
Dec 31, 2016 Jessica Brake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection.

I really enjoyed this collection of poetry by Sylvia Plath. I have read most of her work, and it gets better and better each time I read a new collection of hers, though it usually has ones I've read before. There's really not much else I can say. If you're a fan of Sylvia's, then read this collection of her work. You'll be glad you did. Cheers, and Happy New Year.
Milja
Nov 21, 2016 Milja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Bought this bilingual edition from France for a souvenir to improve my French, to get both versions to read side by side. "I am vertical" is my all time favourite... Some of her poems are so heavy - I can feel the gravity of her eyelids.
Madelyn Paige
Dec 18, 2016 Madelyn Paige rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I'll be honest I couldn't completely comprehend what was going on a lot of the time but the last poem 'three women' really clicked with me.
Helen Lombard
Bon... Je n'aime pas la poésie. Souvent les poètes me font l'effet de péter loooooin au -dessus de leur c*l.
Si certains des poèmes de ce double recueil ont confirmé mon opinion (je pense à vous, pages avec 4 mots 1/2...), d'autres ont demandé deux lectures, histoire de vraiment les apprécier.
Une belle découverte, du coup.
Rachel Coleman
Jan 16, 2017 Rachel Coleman rated it did not like it
Safe to say I won't be trying Plath's poetry again.
Ilze
Feb 02, 2009 Ilze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's with a fair amount of shock that I discovered a poem or two in here that were not collected in The Collected Poems. When I did my thesis, the latter is all I based my work on, thinking it's a "collection" of all her work ... for starters, there's : Winter Trees

The wet dawn inks are doing their blue dissolve.
On their blotter of fog the trees
Seem a botanical drawing-
Memories growing, ring on ring,
A series of weddings.

Knowing neither abortions nor bitchery,
Truer than women,
They seed so effortl
Mandy
Feb 24, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
Winter Trees contains several of my favorite poems written by Sylvia Plath. I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about poetry, so her poems make me want to learn more about what she meant. Some of her words make me cringe, and others leave me in awe. She asks questions, she makes exclamations, she ends poems with a simple thought-provoking line. "Apprehensions" and "Mystic," two of my favorites, start the collection. I enjoyed the visual imagery of "Three Women: A Poem for Three Voices." The ...more
Charles
Jun 21, 2013 Charles rated it it was amazing
One word - lucid. If you are looking for an introductory book giving insight into the world of all-that-is-Plath, look no further.

I would go so far as to wager that this book equals the caliber of any progressional-poetic writer.

The pace is equal to that of stepping out of status quo reading, and into the abstract form of visionary linking of terminological essences.

This is equivalent in stature to any of the Harvard Classics.

Sylvia Plath was a true titan of the literary arts.
Daisy
Nov 24, 2016 Daisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quality Rating: Five Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Stars

Moan however much you like about Sylvia Plath and her dark and upsetting poetry, but this woman was a genius. Her writing is stunning and touches you in ways you can't predict. I have enjoyed other collections by her more, however 'Three Women' is absolutely amazing and the rest are still worth the read.
Raluca
Dec 05, 2015 Raluca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You smile.
No, it is not fatal."
-The Other

"And there is no end, no end of it.
I shall never grow old."
-Gigolo

"She'll cut her throat at ten if she's mad at two."
-Lesbos

to be beautiful and cold as snow
Everett Darling
Nov 10, 2010 Everett Darling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
On a big Plath kick. Not as awesome as Ariel, which is a perfect work in my opinion, though with gems here that could have easily been included in that collection. Many were included in the volume Plath intended to publish at the time of her death, for whatever reason Hughes had them removed.
Tessa in Mid-Michigan
Dec 04, 2014 Tessa in Mid-Michigan rated it did not like it
Shelves: awards-classics
Ick. Violent and disturbing, bitter words of women's angst, especially those who are fighting their own sexuality. She has talent, but unfortunately, it is turned to despair and paranoia and rejection.
Lorraine
Jan 16, 2012 Lorraine rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Winter Trees is the last collection of Sylvia Plath's poems before her death. Although she is not my favorite poet, Winter Trees is a must read for anyone who enjoys her poetry. My favorites: Brasilia & For a Fatherless Son.
Patricia Bergman
Jul 15, 2016 Patricia Bergman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult collection for me to review. I found many of her poems exceeding dark and somewhat esoteric. Others, I found to be brilliant. The poems, Three Women, are my favorites. I found myself reading them more than once. Those who enjoy poetry should read this book.
Olivier PROTARD
Mar 12, 2013 Olivier PROTARD is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just discovered Sylvia Plath in a review of two recent biographies published by The Economist. A powerful discovery. Excellent bilingual edition in the famous paperback «Poésie/Gallimard» series. ...more
Geeta Sharma
May 02, 2013 Geeta Sharma rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite
Sylvia Plath has a way of writing words that make you wish you had never read them but you keep reading them anyways because you know they speak the raw, honest, truth.
Eirin
May 24, 2011 Eirin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Read from cover to cover in an afternoon in a café. Because that seemed like the thing to do. And it was absolutely lovely.
Jilian
Nov 23, 2010 Jilian rated it it was amazing
This is a book of moving poetry, insight and breathtaking description. A must read for Sylvia Plath an poetry fans alike
Angela
Mar 07, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Sylvia Plath and this is one of my favorite collections of her poems. They ring true, if not dark, and twist words into tangible thought.
Gracie Bawden
May 10, 2012 Gracie Bawden rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspiring collections of poems I have ever read. Not flowery or pretty but real and big and shocking poems. All poetry should be like this.
Marian Weaver
Mar 25, 2013 Marian Weaver rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry

Plath's late poems, written close to her death. Included is her radio play, Three Women.

It's Plath. You either love her or you hate her. Personally, I love her.
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2015
  • 50 Poems
  • The Less Deceived
  • The Yellow Heart
  • My Noiseless Entourage
Sylvia Plath was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer.

Known primarily for her poetry, Plath also wrote a semi-autobiographical novel, The Bell Jar, under the pseudonym Victoria Lucas. The book's protagonist, Esther Greenwood, is a bright, ambitious student at Smith College who begins to experience a mental breakdown while interning for a fashion magazine in New York. The plot paralle
More about Sylvia Plath...

“I shall move north. I shall move into a long blackness.
I see myself as a shadow, neither man nor woman,
Neither woman, happy to be like a man, nor a man
Blunt and flat enough to feel no lack. I feel a lack.
I hold my fingers up, ten white pickets.
See, the darkness is leaking from the cracks.
I cannot contain it. I cannot contain my life.”
4 likes
“And so I stand, a little sightless. So I walk
Away on wheels, instead of legs, they serve as well.
And learn to speak with fingers, not a tongue.
The body is resourceful.”
2 likes