Start by marking “The Tooth of Time” as Want to Read:
The Tooth of Time

The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch #2)

Zigzagging the country in a mini-Winnie means endless adventure-and Maxie McNabb is always up for something new. So she and her dog, Stretch, head for the heat of New Mexico, where Maxie plans to learn how to weave. But everything changes for the sleepy town when a local woman attempts suicide. A casualty of her husband's mid-life crisis, she was replaced by a newer, sexie ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about The Tooth of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tooth of Time

Judy
Jan 02, 2010 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, in my defense I'm at the beach for the week and I think that you should read some pure fluffy books while sitting at the shore. My friend, Nelson, calls these books "black cover books" and I have to admit that much of the cover is either black or in dark tones. Also, I'm planning a trip out west this spring and this story takes place in Taos, which I'm planning to visit. Call it a peek into the future. That having been said, Sue Henry reminds me of the writing of Oklahoma City writer, Caro ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 03, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun easy book for Sue Henry lovers
Dyana
Aug 24, 2016 Dyana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have not totally warmed up to this series yet. Although I would classify this one as a cozy mystery, it seemed more of a travelogue of Taos, New Mexico and surrounding areas with a murder thrown in as an afterthought. If I had ever been to Taos, this might have been appealing; but for me, this made the book a slow read.

The book begins with 63 year-old Maxie McNabb and her cute little mini-dachshund, Stretch, fleeing Taos in her Winnebago RV, because she fears a killer is out to get her. She be
Nancy
Aug 30, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tooth of Time reads more like a travelogue of New Mexico than a murder mystery. I would say that you are about halfway into the book before the main mystery appears. There is a brief mention of a body in a yarn-dying vat prior to that, but it is quickly brushed over. It is not until the very end of the story, before you are told that the two murders that appear in the book are related.

Maxie McNabb and her dog Stretch are once again on the road traveling in their Minnie Winnie and exploring t
Becky
Nov 06, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An RV (recreational vehicle) adventure with just a bit of mystery and a new hobby/craft.

Mainly I borrowed this book for the mystery. Maxie & Stretch stumble into the middle of some weird stuff, while Maxie knows she should stay out of things, she gets involved anyway! A friend of a friend is in the hospital recuperating from a recent attempt at suicide. Maxie's friend is busy and asks her to take care of the new acquaintance, Shirley. Maxie finds out a few things, and realizes that Shirley
Kimberly
Jan 21, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my top 5 fav books. This is book 2. The whole series was great. There are 4 books in the series, and I wish Sue Henry (one of my fav authors) had kept the story going on into more books. This is a cozy with a bit of thrill. I loved that you have an older lady who lives in Alaska but takes her RV, along with her weinee dog Stretch into the lower 48 for travel and adventure. Along the way in each book she visits a different state, a different murder. Or rather murder seems to find her. She is a ...more
Ellen
Alaskan senior citizen Maxie McNabb, along with her weiner dog Stretch, have been traveling in the lower 48 states and the current journey takes them to Taos, New Mexico, in their mini Winnebago RV. While visiting the local yarn shop Maxie is mesmerized by the beautiful woven articles on display and soon she is knee deep in locally dyed yarns and her own small weaving loom. What should be a quiet, picturesque visit to a renowned American art colony quickly turns into a murder mystery for Maxie a ...more
Ellen

The Tooth of Time: A Maxine and Stretch Mystery (Maxie and Stretch Mystery)
Offered by Penguin Publishing
Price: $6.99

A fun duo but not enough mystery, June 9, 2013

This review is from: The Tooth of Time: A Maxine and Stretch Mystery (Maxie and Stretch Mystery) (Kindle Edition)
"The Tooth of Time"

Since I have 2 dachsdhunds myself I've enjoyed reading this series. Sorry to say that this book in that series did not hold my interest as the others did.

Maxie is a 60ish owner of Stretch, a lovable
Molly Franks
Aug 22, 2007 Molly Franks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read by Sue Henry. I loved it!

I usually skip over the narrative about the rolling hills and crap. But I found myself reading hers. She has a way with words!

This about Maxine and her little dog. She's a widow from Alaska. Maxine has her RV and she and her dog spend many months each year on the road just going to where she fancies. She also gets caught up in murder and solves the cases. Really cute and fun to read.

I just found that she has written a bunch of books and I ha
Pat
Jul 27, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read a simple mystery after Natchez Burning so I chose this one about a middle ages widow who travels the country in her Mini Winnie RV. She is now in NM which is near and dear to my heart since our eldest daughter and her family lived there for 10 years, and it was fun to revisit through fiction! The widow is drawn unknowingly into a mystery as she tries to help another woman in distress through her friendship with a weaver. Anyway, it was a perfect "read" after a a complex "read" that ...more
Scilla
Aug 24, 2009 Scilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This Sue Henry is not the Alaska novels I've read by her before. Maxie McNabb is twice widowed and traveling in her Winnebago. She has arrived in Taos, New Mexico and goes to a weaving shop. From there she meets a middle-aged woman and then gets involved in a murder; she meets an old friend; she is robbed; her dog gets kidnapped; etc. The writing seems a little stilted and the book has lots of description and is a little slow moving. I didn't think the characters were well-developed, other than ...more
Samantha Smith
Disappointing! First thing, Poor Stretch! Maxie shouldn't leave him alone in the car so much or in the RV so much. Once again Sue Henry has written a mystery full of loose ends and characters that do things only for the purpose of fooling the reader. There are things that don't make sense, plot twists that aren't ever explained, and weird foreshadowing that never goes anywhere. I enjoyed all the description of the Southwest, the book made me want to book a trip to the Southwest but it didn't mak ...more
Carole
May 30, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books-read
Maxie and Stretch are on the road again in the lower 48 states, the southwest to be specific. This time it started off with the murder of her best friend and continued on to Taos, New Mexico, and Colorado. In Taos, Maxie gets involved with a woman who claims she did not try to kill herself, but evidence seems to indicate she did. Later, she succeeds, or was she murdered? Because of her connection to the woman, Maxie is pulled into the mystery and almost gets killed herself. But as usual, Maxie d ...more
Kate
Aug 28, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Refuge, the third book, before this one and was a little dismayed at several similar plot elements, but the story was light and enjoyable and the travel descriptions interesting--which seem to be the main point of this series anyway. I'm beginning to wonder if she's sponsored by an RV trade association.
Holly Booms Walsh
A sort of a cozy mystery with a retired female protagonist who roams in her Winnebago and gets involvesd in solving local mysteries as she goes. This book is also thematic; the author makes sure to provide you with a lot of information about weaving, Taos, and Alaska. It does get very obvious when she does this. The character is likeable, and her little dachshund provides some comic relief. I don't think that the seris is particularly gripping, but it reminded me of my own mother-in-law.
Arlene
Sue Henry was a new author for me. I really enjoyed her Winnebago driving Maxie McNabb, the Alaskan who is driving around with her companion, Stretch, her little mini-dachshund, and stopping where she wants. This trip takes her to Taos where she is quickly immersed in a dangerous mystery that involves murder and weaving. Somehow the murderer thinks that a woman she briefly befriended has given her something.
I will have to find some more of this author.
Cindy
Apr 30, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is #2 out of a short series of 4. I enjoyed this one the most due to the Taos, New Mexico setting. I resonate to this series for many reasons--primarily since it is a "wish-fulfillment" experience for me. Maxie, the intrepid heroine, is roughly my age (60); she travels with a dog (ditto). But most of all, she gets around in a Winnebago. I love Maxie's down-to-earth personality and fearlessness. She is a good and loyal friend and has a good heart.
The series is a treasure!
Karen
Jan 23, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I liked the premise of an older, independent woman traveling around the country and solving crimes. I liked the descriptions of Taos. I didn't like all the foreshadowing, though. It's a murder mystery; I know there will be bad guys and bad stuff happening so don't need to be told ahead of time. I also was distracted by a couple plot points that didn't make sense.
Julie
While I adored the first book in this series, this installment was a serious letdown. Not only did I lose some of the love I had for the character of Maxie, I found the plot simplistic and ultimately silly. There were significant omissions in the "solution" and a number of unresolved points. I'm disappointed.
Lindig
Oct 06, 2010 Lindig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I believe I read the first one, too, but it was some while ago. What more appropriate book for me, a senior woman wandering around in an RV. My life is considerably more sedate then hers, but then again, I'm not the heroine of a murder mystery. And I don't have her knack for making friends. This one is set in Taos and environs, and I just spent the summer in Albuquerque, so I really enjoyed it.
Elaine
Jul 28, 2010 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Driving a mini winnebago across the country, Maxi McNabb and her dog, Stretch, end up in New Mexico where she wants to learn how to weave. The story takes place in Taos in a weaving shop I have been to visit several times. She finds herself helping a woman who attempts suicide and gets involved with the people of one of my favorite places in the USA.

Crystal Taylor
I love mysteries and this was a gold plated example of a cute mystery with great charters. I fell in love with Maxine and Stretch. I will add the rest of Ms. Henry's series in my "to read" shelf. :D
Grey853
Oct 05, 2010 Grey853 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
This has the interesting premise that senior Maxie is traveling around in her Winnebago with her dog Stretch. Unfortunately, the mystery part of the novel is a letdown. The characters aren't that well developed, either.
Joan Colby
The tone of the narrator of this mystery series, Maxie Mcnabb, is annoying with its conventional insertions of adjectives like "pleasant", "attractive", "comfortable" and much of the book reads like a travel brochure. Yet, Henry's plots are pretty well done and her culprits are a surprise.
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it really liked it
My first Sue Henry mystery == I loved it. Maxie is a not=young heroine who lives in Alaska, but travels around the country in her Winnebago. And of course, incidents occur wherever she goes! Great fun!!!!
Melva
Sep 26, 2008 Melva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the review says: She's the Winnebago-driving, pistol-packing sixty-something-year-old-and she's back, with her dog. I enjoyed the lite mystery, the explanation of weaving and view of the Southwest. She's an independent woman and I liked reading about her trials, triumphs and travels.
Anne
Nov 15, 2010 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Maxie and Stretch and this book has them in New mexico on a vacation. The title comes from a mountain in the area of Taos, NM. where they of course find themselves embrioled in another mystery. Enjoyable and easy read.
Sandy
Dec 12, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook: This was the second book of the series and I liked it a lot. It's similar to Sue Grafton, as it is easy listening and light. It's also enjoyable to hear about the places she visits. I look forward to the next in the series...
Debra
May 16, 2013 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, rv
Wonderful new series. Maxie McNapp is 63 and travels over the country in her Winnebago with her mini-dachshund, Stretch. In this story, they fall into the middle of a murder mystery in Taos, New Mexico.
Kristen
The perfect vacation read - my mom and I read it while spending a week in New Mexico - it's set in the Taos area. Lovable characters and not-too-suspenseful-yet-still-engaging mystery...like I said, perfect for vacation!
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)
  • Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
  • Theft on Thursday
  • Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • Apparition Alley (Kate Delafield, #6)
  • The Blue Corn Murders (Eugenia Potter, #5)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Spin a Wicked Web (Home Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • The Moche Warrior (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Quilt as Desired (Harriet Truman / Loose Threads Mystery #1)
  • Killer Market (Deborah Knott Mysteries #5)
  • Damn Straight
  • Wild Indigo (A Wild Mystery #1)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Maxie and Stretch (4 books)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • The Refuge (Maxie and Stretch, #3)
  •  The End of The Road (Maxie and Stretch, #4)

“Things happen and you change directions,” 0 likes