Start by marking “Doctor Faustus and Other Plays: Tamburlaine, Parts I and II; Doctor Faustus, A & B Texts; The Jew of Malta; Edward II (Oxford World's Classics)” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,116 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593), a man of extreme passions and a playwright of immense talent, is the most important of Shakespeare's contempories. This edition offers his five major plays, which show the radicalism and vitality of his writing in the few years before his violent death. Tamburlaine Part One and Part Two deal with the rise to world prominence of the great Sc ...more
Paperback, Oxford World's Classics, 544 pages
Published July 10th 2008 by Oxford University Press (first published 1589)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Faustus and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Faustus and Other Plays

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasArtemis Fowl by Eoin ColferWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeMacbeth by William Shakespeare
Best Antiheroes In Books
106th out of 364 books — 285 voters
Macbeth by William ShakespeareHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Tempest by William ShakespeareKing Lear by William ShakespeareMuch Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
Best Early Modern Plays
29th out of 45 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Zelda
Jun 25, 2015 Zelda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I only read Doctor Faustus, A Text.

Intriguing. But I had just finished Julius Caesar and my actual impression after reading this was, "Very nice. But, ain't no Shakespeare." And I'm only a recent inductee to the world of Shakespeare fandom . Still, "as good as Shakespeare" is a pretty high bar, so squeaking in just under it still finds you well-ranked on the list of the Western Canon. I'd like to give the other plays a go someday.
Jen
Sep 19, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-lit-books
I'm about to do this book for Eng lit and i have to say i'm definately looking forward to it. I really enjoyed this story and the moral dilemma it proposed. what i liked the best is that Faustus didn't get away with it and went to hell - there's too many happy endings these days.
Jesse
Jul 02, 2012 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a certain lauded Yale scholar named Harold Bloom who says that, "while Marlowe unfolded, Shakespeare developed." Bloom has a history of saying extremely dumb things masquerading as oracular prounouncements, such as "the world after 9-11 is more dangerous", and "Shakespeare's characters are more real than real people". There is no one who makes me more ashamed to appreciate great literature than Harold Bloom, and as is usual, he is completely wrong in the case of Marlowe; if you do not s ...more
Gina
Apr 27, 2011 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have given this 3 stars, mainly because of the Jew of Malta, which I enjoyed very much, it did worry me somewhat all the innuendo between the monks and the nuns, but I guess it shows that even the most chaste of people cannot ignore their animal instincts. From the other plays in this collection, I enjoyed Doctor Faustus and Edward II. I really did not have a clue what was going on in Tamberlaine (in either parts), but one thng I was left with was the unsettling feeling that being loyal was no ...more
Phillip
Jul 28, 2011 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Doctor Faustus is probably Marlowe's best known play, but I actually prefer Edward II. For me, Edward II is the masterful culmination of Marlowe's obsession with outsiders. Edward is presented as a weak king dominated by his male lovers, and unable to assert his authority against rebellious nobles. But in his very patheticness, Edward ultimately obtains an existential fulfillment. One important thing to note is that the plot and situation of Edward II are virtually identical to Shakespeare's Ric ...more
Alex
Jan 02, 2016 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nur Faustus, A-Text gelesen. War etwas enttäuscht über die einfache Moralität des Stücks - es fehlt ein persönlicher Konflikt und Zeitlosigkeit wie bei Goethe. Faustus nutzt seinen teuflischen Bund hauptsächlich für Budenzauber und fruchtlose Diskussionen über den Kosmos. Die kosmische Dimension mag zu Marlowes Lebzeiten wichtig gewesen sein, heute wirkt sie unbefriedigend.
John W.
Jan 24, 2015 John W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tamburlaine the Great, Part I and Part II. Read before an excellent performance at the Theatre for a new Audience. After the bloody history of Tamburlaine, you appreciate more and more Shakespeare and the variety of his characters and plots.
Michael Fishman
May 10, 2015 Michael Fishman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read it since college. But my oh my, the classic story of a man who sells his soul to the devil trying to find answers--but he learns the hard way that some stones are better left unturned.
Cynthia Garza
Apr 06, 2015 Cynthia Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while in graduate during a time that my ego as an acedemician ruled and drove me. This story should have been awake up call.
Cecilie
Jan 11, 2015 Cecilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
will re-read for exam, but will not really put this into the 2015 reading challenge - I don't wanna cheat ;)
Rachel Brand
Feb 12, 2011 Rachel Brand rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, plays, en2004, 2011, classics
Read "Doctor Faustus" for EN2004: Drama: Reading and Performance, 2011

"Doctor Faustus" was a quick and simple read, only around 40 pages long. So far I've only read the A-text so it shall be interesting to read the B-text and see how it differs. I found it quite amusing in places, although perhaps unintentionally? Faustus's end was tragic but inevitable, although I'm not sure whether it suggests that God wouldn't forgive him or if he was too heavily under Lucifer's power to ask for forgiveness?
Belf
Apr 12, 2015 Belf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Why this is Hell, nor am I out of it."

I always,feel like that in Ikea.
GONZA
Jun 13, 2014 GONZA rated it liked it
A little bit boring but ok, they are masterpieces....
Daisy Leather
Nov 03, 2014 Daisy Leather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, university
Just read Doctor Faustus in an hour. Fantastic, as good as I remember. Not tackled the text-b yet though, and I think our tutor wanted us to do that... we shall see.
Caitlin Yerly
Nov 08, 2015 Caitlin Yerly rated it it was amazing
I finally finished all the plays! These are my favorite plays I have ever read, for sure. I am writing my senior thesis on Doctor Faustus.
michelle
Mar 17, 2012 michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Gibson helped to make this so amazing. All I can say is get your friends together, play the parts and Dr. Faustus shall rise again!
David
Feb 08, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps more hilarious than anything Mr. Bill Shakespeare ever wrote. Kind of clumsy, but excellent for its time.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2007 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in the coulda-been Shakespeare
Shelves: college
Edward II was my favorite of the one's I've read, though obviously Doctor Faustus is a classic.
Lizzy
May 08, 2013 Lizzy rated it it was ok
Shelves: wem, classics, plays
I know it's a classic, but it's just not my thing. This is only for Dr Faustus.
Albie
Doctor Faustus and Other Plays (Oxford World's Classics) by Christopher Marlowe (1998)
Anne Binsfeld
Feb 10, 2012 Anne Binsfeld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Doctor Faustus, culturally interesting and very entertaining;)
Mike
Aug 24, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original Darth Vadar. What do you trade?
Bryn Hammond
Dec 08, 2012 Bryn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tie between Tamburlaine and The Jew of Malta.
Kris
Aug 27, 2014 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
Read a few selections from it for a class.
Cassie Tomchik
One of my favorite reads!
Lisa
Sep 05, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britain, c16th, play
Unforgettable.
Jill
Jul 21, 2010 Jill is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading "Doctor Faustus" for P&P Class & researching for teaching paper on same.
Michael Merriam
Michael Merriam marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Maddie Stevens
Maddie Stevens marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • The Alchemist and Other Plays
  • The Duchess of Malfi and Other Plays
  • John Donne - The Major Works: Including Songs and Sonnets and Sermons
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. B: The Sixteenth Century & The Early Seventeenth Century
  • The Spanish Tragedy
  • 'Tis Pity She's a Whore and Other Plays
  • The Trojan Women and Other Plays
  • The First Folio of Shakespeare, 1623
  • The Revenger's Tragedy
  • Soul of the Age: A Biography of the Mind of William Shakespeare
  • Shakespeare and Co.: Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Dekker, Ben Jonson, Thomas Middleton, John Fletcher and the Other Players in His Story
  • John Keats: The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters
  • The Complete English Poems (Herbert, George)
  • The Major Works: including Astrophil and Stella (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Three Early Modern Utopias: Thomas More, Utopia; Francis Bacon, New Atlantis; Henry Neville, The Isle of Pines
  • Confessions of an English Opium-Eater & Other Writings
  • Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)
  • The Rover and Other Plays: The Rover; The Feigned Courtesans; The Lucky Chance; The Emperor of the Moon
Christopher "Kit" Marlowe (baptised 26 February 1564) was an English dramatist, poet and translator of the Elizabethan era. The foremost Elizabethan tragedian next to William Shakespeare, he is known for his magnificent blank verse, his overreaching protagonists, and his own mysterious and untimely death.

The author's Wikipedia page.
More about Christopher Marlowe...

“Make me immortal with a kiss.” 1625 likes