Start by marking “Little Money Street: In Search of Gypsies and Their Music in the South of France” as Want to Read:

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  19 reviews
From the author of four novels comes this remarkable book, both impassioned and humorous, about the Gypsies of southwestern France—their habits, their haunts, and their haunting music.

In 1998, Fernanda Eberstadt, her husband, and their two small children moved from New York to an area outside Perpignan, a city set on a series of bluffs overlooking the river Tet, with one o...more
Published March 14th 2006 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Little Money Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Money Street

Eliane
This is not really a book about Gitan music but about the life and customs of the Gypsies settled in downtown Perpignan, as told by an American with a lifelong attraction to this culture. The style is vivid and the author has not fallen into the trap of romanticizing the miserable life led by most sedentary Gypsies trapped in their closed society.
But the book overall left me with an uneasy feeling. First there are some gross exaggerations about my country, France, verging on caricature, as when...more
Ann
To begin, a passage that embodies everything that attracted me to and eventually repelled me from Little Money Street:

“The few classical remnants that have been unearthed attest to the area’s Mediterranean spirit of metissage, or mixity: a deposit of lead votive prayers addressed to the local nymphs, the Niskae, were found by the thermal springs of Arles-sur-Tech (and lost, in 1901). These prayers were composed in a mixture of Celtic, street Latin, and Iberian (a non-Indo-European language which...more
Dvora
A friend of mine who lives near Perpignan and with whom I've spent day outings in Perpignan gave me this book without telling me whether or not she liked it. Even before starting to read, I was unimpressed with the jacket description that said this was "A portrait of the Gypsies of southwestern France" whereas it talks about the Gypsies of Perpignan which is in southeastern France, just a little north of where I live.

While reading the book I was alternatively interested and critical. It bothered...more
Alice
This book is a mess of a non-fiction, a wannabe novel that stood up and declared itself to be true, therefore it didn't have to make sense.

The narrative can't decide what it wants to be. It switches between several stories. The first is a somewhat interesting tale of a privileged white woman who thinks "Gypsies" are magic. She tracks down the object of her obsession, and finds it lacking.

Meanwhile, factoids about geography, local history, and "Gypsy" music are vomited out with no regard for narr...more
Rachel
I have been meaning to read this book for a long time so I am glad I finally got around to it. I have always been interested in gypsies and their culture and living in Spain I am around a lot of them. For that reason, I enjoyed the book, however I feel that the author didn't always stay true to her journalisitic integrity while describing certain aspcets of Mediterranean and gypsy life. For example, while describing the case of a woman known as Mere Noel (Mrs Santa Claus) who was arrested while...more
MJ
Feb 03, 2009 MJ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: france
I know the intention of this book was to be more a kitchen table rather than a scientific study of a neighborhood and culture, but the entirety of it frustrated me. The tedious minutia of family relations who was whose father was as annoying as the Gitan preference to maintain la loi gitane.

“Fifty years ago the explanation for Gypsy illiteracy was nomadism, how could you go to school when you never spent more than a month in the same town. Now that the government policies all over Europe have ma...more
J
This book is about the gypsy people living in Frace and their music. It was interesting enough; I've always been curious about gypsys.
But I felt the author showed a lack of respect for the people she used as her subject matter. It was also really annoying to read French passages in the book with no idea what they meant. These passages really should have been translated. It made the writing seem high-brow and detached from the real world. Let's face it not all of us are wealthy enough hop on ove...more
Jill
I went to Spain, got hassled by Gypsies demanding money at the bus station, and came back, intent to do some reading on the subject. This book was written by a woman researching Gypsy music, and was about the personal relationships she developed with a group that tends to be on the margins of society and closed to outsiders. Not the most academic handling, but a good read!
Susan
May 27, 2007 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in other cultures (contemporary)
I've long been intrigued by gypsies. This book gave me the beginnings of an understanding of contemporary Gypsy life, especially those in the south of France, and especially wrt family life. It also helped me to gain a better understanding of French culture, gypsy music, poverty, European attitudes, and education issues wrt the poor.
Amanda
I read this over winter break, the writing is so-so but the stories about roma families are very interesting. The descriptions of gipsy culture are detailed and succesful at portraying a group of people who are in a difficult transition from old to new. My favorite part is when they go to a cockfight.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
I could not get into this book at all. The author seemed to think that most of the readers of the book would have a good background in the history of gypsies, which I do not. I found myself very lost.
Kate
Jan 21, 2010 Kate marked it as i-give-up
Sorry, Fernanda. I don't want to ready your namsy pamsy "Look at me!" travelogue. I'd rather read the Twilight series. And that might be the most mean spirited thing I've ever written on this site.
Jeanne
Well I wanted to read this book because a blog said it was "sublime" or some such thing. Well it wasn't, but it was quite interesting about a culture I know nothing about.
Julia
Aug 13, 2007 Julia added it
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't renew it any more at the library, and it was hard to really get into it. although i definitely learned a little, and enjoyed what i did read.
Carrie
Aug 03, 2009 Carrie added it
Good reference on a hard-to-find topic; prefer more scholarly work, but I'm not complaining!
Jenny
Excellent and informative book about the Roma (Gypsies) and their music in Southwestern France.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Jan 28, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: a commenter on Ellen Kushner's blog
Maybe I'll read this sometime, but for now, it's just too depressing.
Cerrissa
things u never knew about gypsies
Peter
For those who are seriously interested.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Kathee
Kathee marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Velvetink
Velvetink marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Pam West
Pam West marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Marie Livingston
Marie Livingston marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rat The Furies When the Sons of Heaven Meet the Daughters of the Earth Isaac and His Devils Low Tide