Start by marking “New Monasticism: What It Has to Say to Today's Church” as Want to Read:
New Monasticism: What It Has to Say to Today's Church

New Monasticism: What It Has to Say to Today's Church

New Monasticism is a growing movement of committed Christians who are recovering the radical discipleship of monasticism and unearthing a fresh expression of Christianity in America. It's not centered in a traditional monastery--many New Monastics are married with children--but instead its members live radically, settling in abandoned sections of society, committing to com ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Brazos Press

To ask other readers questions about New Monasticism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Monasticism

Doug
Mar 09, 2010 Doug rated it really liked it
An important read. The new monasticism is a broad-based movement of evangelical Christians that seeks to take Jesus' teaching about community seriously and relocate with an outward focus, embrace abandoned communities, share resources and wealth, nurture a common life, be a prophetic witness, and serve one another.

The book is understated and doesn't make huge claims. The author understands trial and error and the messiness of real community. Its strength is gathering many aspects of this vision
Jason Pettus
Jul 03, 2008 Jason Pettus rated it liked it
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

It's no secret to CCLaP's regulars that I have recently started reading and reviewing more nonfiction here regarding religious topics; ironic, I know, given that I myself am an atheist and have no plans on changing my beliefs anytime soon*. It's a fact, though, that the subject deeply informs and infl
Amos Smith
Oct 14, 2015 Amos Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-books-other
This was a powerful book. I find Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove on target. He gives me hope for the future of the Church. I resonate with his kind of counter-culture tendencies. Wilson-Hartgrove is correct that that new monasticism is not about achieving some standard of personal piety. It is ultimately about transforming our relationships and community.

I love these words that Wilson-Hartgove quoted from Eberhard Arnold: "We do not need theories or idealistic goals or prophets or leaders. We need br
Missjgray
Dec 22, 2010 Missjgray rated it it was amazing
so far, I'm intrigued. More later, as I finish it.

-- Finished it --

This is an important book.

Wilson-Hartgrove left me wanting more. But in the good way. He set out to write an introduction to the idea and get the reader excited (or, at the very least, aware) of community movements.

I am now both aware and excited.

His comments about why the church is important were really interesting to me. Sometimes it would seem easier and faster so therefore better to just go do something all maverick-like.
Debbie
Jan 06, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It taught me more about being in community - with believers and with enemies.... to walk in the relational wholeness with those I feel camaraderie with and those I find ... hummm... repulsive and want to not associate with. I realized I can only learn to know who I am and who I am in Christ by following the great commission, Part 2. Love God and LOVE PEOPLE; and how to do that in the framework of the church while reaching out to the larger community.

Here's some quotes.

God ha
David
Jun 13, 2014 David rated it really liked it
My readings on small church dynamics now lead me into learnings from other forms of intimate fellowship, beginning with monasticism.

I'd been meaning to read this one for a while, but hadn't quite gotten around to it. It's readable, interesting, and gently spiritual--with a strong interweaving of concerns for community and for justice.

I honestly had thought it would speak more to the way in which the intentional life of the new monastic movement could help shape more traditional churches, but got
Trice
Jan 19, 2011 Trice rated it really liked it
1st read: Sept 27, 2012
Sean
May 27, 2011 Sean rated it liked it
Wilson-Hartgrove is telling us about a movement of new monasticism happening in America. He points out that this is not really 'new' because this type of living and doing has been happening here in the States for a while. It just hasn't been hitting the media radars so that is why it comes across as an underground movement.

This time though is a little bit different than the other monastic movements that have been happening. This time they are relocating to the edges of the Empire, sharing a com
Mauberley
Interesting enough - I was particularly struck by Wilson-Hartgrove's assertion that his commitment to neo-monasticism was undertaken for the sake of the Church. Not in any way to be confused with the 'Benedict Option'.
Anne
Feb 13, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
This book makes a convincing argument for how the qualities of monasticism are a much needed in today's Christian church. The author particularly emphasizes the need for community. This is a theology book at heart. I was hoping the author could make more practical connections to the lives of today's Christians.
Dean P.
Nov 29, 2009 Dean P. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Wilson-Hartgrove does a fantastic job laying out the commonalities of the new monastic "movement" in our current culture and the impact it has on today's church. He places the new monastic movement directly within the church as well, reflecting the value monasticism has had historically in the church and how traditional denominations and congregations can bless monastic communities.

Wilson-Hartgrove is a fresh voice and provides different perspectives than Shane Claiborne, who argues specifically
Jonathan
Jan 05, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all
I accidentally started reading "New Monasticism" because I confused it with another book. Greatest reading mistake ever. Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove is grappling with one of the most important questions I can imagine - how do we truly live the fullness of the life Jesus teaches and demonstrates for us in the gospels? How can the idealism of the Sermon on the Mount become real in a place like America? I often consider a good Christian book to be one that agrees with my own beliefs - a great book is ...more
Brent
Jan 20, 2010 Brent rated it really liked it
This book presents the movement known as new monasticism through stories, histories, anecdotes, biographies, and ideas. It presents New Monasticism as a movement that draws on ancient traditions and new contextualization to show both the churched and un-churched on the radical call that God has for his adopted family(Christians).

This book resonated with the concept of New Monasticism I previously had, and also added to it. It does not present its material in any ground-breaking fashion but I fou
Johnny
Apr 15, 2012 Johnny rated it liked it
An important book that introduces the New Monastic "movement," but nothing particularly new or moving to those familiar with any part of it. Wilson-Hartgrove's strongest points are in connecting this movement with the previous ones as his historical background is very informative, but the description of the current movement and what their communities actually do left me wanting more. An easy, quick read, but not compelling enough to warrant more than 3 stars for me. Maybe I just grabbed the wron ...more
Matthew Potter
Jan 03, 2015 Matthew Potter rated it really liked it
"It's hard to be a Christian in America," is the main premise of this book. After considering Wilson-Hartgrove's arguments I would agree with a slight addendum: "It's easy to say you're a Christian in America." This work makes a clear point that new monasticism is not a movement outside of the church, nor is it a form of 'extra credit Christianity.' I hope I will get the chance to take the Duke Divinity class on prison ministry!
Wes
Jul 14, 2012 Wes added it
Shelves: christian-living
Great book. It's been a while since I read it, but from what I recall there are two tasks this book accomplishes really well: 1) It shows the connection between monasticism throughout the history of the church and the new movement of the spirit which has been labeled "new monasticism." 2) It distills some the wisdom of the new monasticism and makes it accesible for those whom God has called to a different form of discipleship.
Brad Belschner
Jul 26, 2010 Brad Belschner rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-theology
This book wasn't what I expected. Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove is a relatively young man, apparently not much older than myself. His goal isn't to lecture on conclusions he has reached, only to set forth a few ideas that he and some friends are living by. Consequently, I found the book to be more inspirational than instructional. And I suppose that's exactly how the book was intended. And it succeeded: I'm inspired.
Anthony WagenerSmith
Good overview of the history of monasticism and how God's missional purpose has flowed through it.
The author speaks from personal experience leading a new monastic community in Durham, NC. One of the core ideas explored biblically and historically is about how God relocates and renews His people in abandoned places, both rural and urban.
Becky Rhoads
May 03, 2008 Becky Rhoads marked it as to-read
This book is written by a young man (I think he's only 27!) who lives in Rutba House in North Carolina. We met him in San Francisco a couple years ago and he is included in the people who have influenced us in the direction of intentional community. This is his newest book, and I want to read it - not sure when I'll get to it!
Nick
Sep 22, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it
I was not familiar with the Monastic movement, it's a completely different way of doing Christianity and one I am really excited about.
Any Christian who seriously wants to envision a new way of doing life, read this book.
Alex
Feb 09, 2010 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
This is a good book about Christians living with shared resources and shared lives in peaceful communities. It made me question a lot of my economic assumptions. The author is sharp and articulate and interacts with a good bit of Bible and Church history.
Bill
Oct 18, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
This is a good book to find out more about the new monasticism ideas. I would suggest reading something by Shane Claiborne instead. Those familiar with the Catholic Worker movement aren't going to find a tremendous amount of new ideas here.
Steve
Jan 27, 2010 Steve rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-2010
Interesting. The stress on community, the church, incarnational evangelism and rather thasn "doing ministries" to help people, smply being the people of God and the help, need-meeting etc being integral to what we are.
Crystal
Nov 05, 2010 Crystal marked it as to-read
I went to college with Jonathan--he married my roommate's best friend. He was always a brilliant but humble and kinda guy, and I'm interested to hear what he has to say.
Laura Rogers
Mar 25, 2010 Laura Rogers rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-stuff
Another contemplative read that will keep you up at night...
christi.
Jan 10, 2012 christi. rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read it again.
J.D. Adams
J.D. Adams marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Walter
Walter marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
  • School(s) for Conversion
  • Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals
  • The New Friars: The Emerging Movement Serving the World's Poor
  • Follow Me to Freedom: Leading and Following As an Ordinary Radical
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Simple Spirituality: Learning to See God in a Broken World
  • Friendship at the Margins: Discovering Mutuality in Service and Mission
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
  • Punk Monk: New Monasticism and the Ancient Art of Breathing
  • Anarchy and Christianity
  • Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition
  • Radical Hospitality: Benedict's Way of Love
  • The Celtic Way of Evangelism: How Christianity Can Reach the West...Again
  • Living Gently in a Violent World: The Prophetic Witness of Weakness
  • Theirs Is the Kingdom: Celebrating the Gospel in Urban America
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults

“you don’t have to live in community long to realize that lives which are blessed and instructive are still flawed. The grace of the gospel isn’t only that the Word was made flesh in Jesus, but also that the eternal Word is made present in weak and wonderful people.” 1 likes
“I feel that my own life is especially sealed with this great sign . . . because like Jonah himself I find myself traveling toward my destiny in the belly of a paradox.” 0 likes