Start by marking “Pagan's Vows (Pagan Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Pagan's Vows (Pagan Chronicles, #3)

Pagan's Vows (Pagan Chronicles #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"Jinks again displays an amazing knack for blending utterly convincing period detail, earthy wisecracking, and profound respect for courtly and spiritual ideals."âBULLETIN OF THE CENTER FOR CHILDREN'S BOOKS

Having renounced the sword, Pagan and Lord Roland arrive at the Abbey of St. Martin to devote their lives to God. But no sooner are they outfitted in their novices' habi
Published September 13th 2005 by Candlewick (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Pagan's Vows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pagan's Vows

Natalie
Definitely the best book of the Pagan series, this book is a sort of medieval crime thriller - told with the usual humour and warmth of all the Pagan books. There's so much in this short little book, from the introduction of multiple didtinct and wonderfully human characters to the intricate plot of monastery intrigue... I absolutely love it, and still re-read it from time to time, years after first coming across this series.
Barbara Ell
This is a story of a Knight of the Temple and his squire as they try to leave the horrors of their time in Jerusalem and follow God's path in a Benedictine monestary. Actually this is the squire's, Pagan's, tale.

They enter the monastary as novices and Pagan finds intrigue at every turn. I can really relate to Pagan, in his mind he talks back and insults those in charge, but verbally he says what he is supposed to say, most of the time.

When I was half-way through the book, I noticed on the cover
Lana Del Slay
While I'll freely admit that Pagan In Exile wasn't as glorious on this reread as I had wished, Pagan's Vows made up for that and more, partly because things that were set up in Book Two get paid off here, and partly because the characterization feels more like it did in Book One (which, remember, I have yet to review but have read repeatedly).

(view spoiler)
Lady Knight
While not as good as the previous installments, "Pagan's Vows" is still full of the wit, sarcasm and brilliance that made the series not only enjoyable, but memorable.

Pagan and Roland have entered a monastery in an attempt for Roland to do penance for his sins in killing many and loving a heretic (Pagan thinks Roland is the embodiment of holiness and has no need for repentance of anything) and for Pagan to find something even resembling a home. But life at the monastery is not all Pagan hoped i
Jamie
Youth fiction, but still a very interesting read. Nice character development, and a really cool time period to read about. This book diverts the characters from their previous developments, and was a little bit darker than the first two. However, she wrapped up the trilogy well.
Nathan
The series has become nondescript. The books run together: the action is the same, the characters are different but numbingly similar, even the dialogue is running out of originality (how many times will Pagan call someone a bog-brain before the end?) I didn't really follow the plot with much interest, because it's not terribly different from the others; I didn't really care what happened. If you're dying for more Pagan Kidrouk, go for it, but don't expect much innovation.
Melanie
Pagan and (no longer Lord) Roland find themselves joining a monastery in France. Roland is looking for redemption from having fallen in love with a heretic (Esclaramonde from Pagan in Exile). Roland seems truly dedicated to the life. Pagan however, is having a hard time. He always seems to be getting into trouble. But when he discovers that there may be corruption in the monastery and innocent people may be harmed, he stops at nothing to solve the mystery.
Shannon
Yes!! Back to the sarcastic, literally laugh-out-loud humor that was so vibrant in the first book of the series! This plot had a sinister twist in it, and I finished it in practically a day to figure out what would happen. Makes one wonder how the fourth book will go. Pagan seems to be all grown up now, and grown up is never any fun, is it?
Lisa Scott
Still love Pagan, still love Roland despite wanting to smack some sense into him on occasion. But OUCH, what these characters go through.. Although book two had more of a sense of hopelessness, this one was still much darker than book one. I'm a bit afraid to read book four because I suspect it's going to rip my heart out.
Jenny
Pagan and Lord Roland are tired of fighting, so they join a monastary to seek peace. Roland is willing to submit and obey, but Pagan continues to attract trouble. Someone is stealing alms, and Pagan is determined to figure out who. Is Pagan destined to kneel in prayer, or is there a different future for him?
Catherine
I've stopped reading this series because it was just too sad. Why didn't Roland believe Pagan when he told him what he'd discovered? I think I'll read the next one after some time, but I find it difficult to read books when absolutely everything goes wrong, time after time!
Lisa
This one is a mystery set in a medieval monastery. I liked it but felt that the author copped out by having all the big denouement happen while the narrator/main character was unconscious. It's a little too tidy, having him wake up and get told how everything turned out.
Terry
Apr 04, 2009 Terry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
A look at monastic culture through Pagan's often irreverent yet sincere perceptions. I am a bit skeptical about the target-age reader dcealing with the untranslated Latin but then I probably would have relished the challenge when I was that age.
Jenny
great characters; great window into medieval monastic life...great plot that is engaging, funny and poignant - sure to make history come alive for a young reader! loved it.
Tracy
I loved the ending, but some of the subject matter makes me uncomfortable. I want everything nice, not always that in a corrupt monastery.
Bronwen
I read the first four Pagan novels when I was younger and loved them, particularly the narrative style. I'd love to read them again some day.
Medievalwolf
I freaking love the Pagan series. I just need to read the last one.
Kr
written for younger readers, but quite engaging nonethless
Merima Smajic
Possibly my favourite book in this series.
Brandon Meikle
Good book. All about Pagan becoming a Monk
Allison
Meh. But I'm still going to read #4.
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Wesnetz
Wesnetz marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • The Paths of the Air (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #11)
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • The Dreamer Vol 1: The Consequence of Nathan Hale
  • Here's How I See It--Here's How It Is
  • Ruse: The Victorian Guide to Murder
  • The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1)
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Cassandra's Sister
  • Emma, Vol. 03
  • Entre ciel et terre (Vango, #1)
  • Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)
  • The Falconer's Knot: A Story of Friars, Flirtation and Foul Play
  • New Found Land: Lewis and Clark's  Voyage of Discovery
Catherine Jinks is the Australian author of more than thirty books for all ages. She has garnered many awards, including the Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Award(three times), the Victorian Premier’s Award, the Aurealis Award for Science Fiction, the Australian Ibby Award, and the Davitt Award for Crime Fiction. Her work has been published in Australia, New Zealand, Britain, ...more
More about Catherine Jinks...

Pagan Chronicles (4 books)
  • Pagan's Crusade (Pagan Chronicles, #1)
  • Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)
  • Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)
Evil Genius (Genius, #1) The Reformed Vampire Support Group Genius Squad (Genius, #2) The Genius Wars (Genius, #3) The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group