Start by marking “Beyond the Blue” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Blue

Beyond the Blue

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In a Scottish mill town purged of men by war, four unforgettable women navigate a treacherous time, guided only by the bonds of family and their bold dreams of escape.

In 1918, rainy Dundee is nearly emptied of men. The Great War has left the town’s women both newfound freedom and servitude. They toil in the deadly jute mills, taking in the children of perished family membe
Published February 12th 2008 by Vintage Canada (first published January 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Blue

Leya
I was wandering up and down the aisles at the library when this book caught my attention. Actually it was cover that caught my attention. It's such a beautiful cover, there's sadness in the girls eyes and I couldn't leave the library without the book.

And just like the cover, the book itself is beautiful and sad. But there was also hope. The women in the story were amazing. The mother, Morag is a very hard working woman who is ill, but doesn't want her girl to suspect how bad (health wise) she tr
Tabitha
This book explores a time wrought with pain and suffering: the characters go through the Spanish influenza, the Industrial Revolution, the World War, and the rise of the suffragettes. The hidden secrets of private lives unfold in the pages of Beyond the Blue, secrets not shared until too late, secrets that harm, and secrets that fester in fear. And yet, remarkably, there is love: love for sisters and cousins and mothers, love for those whose hands we hold in times of strife.
A.E. Croft
Beautiful prose and wonderful characters. I suddenly have the desire to visit Scotland and Ireland now, but I feel as though I've already lived there just from reading this book. Bitter sweet. It had me crying by the end. Definitely worth a reread.
Carla
I loved this book. The author had such a poetic style of writing. The imagery was so beautiful and heartwrenching and the story was written with an underlying of hope and possibilites. It was a great read.
Karin Millan
Set in Dundee Scotland back in 1911 this is why i liked it. Brought the old country and the way of living during the ist world war home to me.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Sheila
Sheila added it
Aug 11, 2014
Georgie Clayton
Georgie Clayton marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Porfirio Aburto
Porfirio Aburto marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Missy Spady
Missy Spady marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Kassandra Kinzel
Kassandra Kinzel marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Rosaria
Rosaria marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Lena
Lena added it
Oct 19, 2013
Lorne Hull
Lorne Hull marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Bindu Chembrakkalathil
Bindu Chembrakkalathil marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Edumke
Edumke added it
Apr 03, 2013
Vicki
Vicki added it
Mar 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrea MacPherson is a poet and novelist, and has written four books: two novels, When She Was Electric and Beyond the Blue and two poetry collections, Natural Disasters and Away. Her poetry has been anthologized in the UK publication, How the Light Gets In.

When She Was Electric was listed No. 6 on CBC Canada Reads: People’s Choice; Natural Disasters was longlisted for the 2008 ReLit Awards. Andre
More about Andrea MacPherson...
When She Was Electric: A Novel Natural Disasters: Poems Ellipses Away: Poems