Start by marking “Beyond the Blue” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Blue

Beyond the Blue

In a Scottish mill town purged of men by war, four unforgettable women navigate a treacherous time, guided only by the bonds of family and their bold dreams of escape.

In 1918, rainy Dundee is nearly emptied of men. The Great War has left the town’s women both newfound freedom and servitude. They toil in the deadly jute mills, taking in the children of perished family membe
Published February 12th 2008 by Vintage Canada (first published January 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Blue

Leya
Feb 11, 2013 Leya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I was wandering up and down the aisles at the library when this book caught my attention. Actually it was cover that caught my attention. It's such a beautiful cover, there's sadness in the girls eyes and I couldn't leave the library without the book.

And just like the cover, the book itself is beautiful and sad. But there was also hope. The women in the story were amazing. The mother, Morag is a very hard working woman who is ill, but doesn't want her girl to suspect how bad (health wise) she tr
Tabitha
Aug 12, 2014 Tabitha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explores a time wrought with pain and suffering: the characters go through the Spanish influenza, the Industrial Revolution, the World War, and the rise of the suffragettes. The hidden secrets of private lives unfold in the pages of Beyond the Blue, secrets not shared until too late, secrets that harm, and secrets that fester in fear. And yet, remarkably, there is love: love for sisters and cousins and mothers, love for those whose hands we hold in times of strife.
Carla
Jan 06, 2013 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The author had such a poetic style of writing. The imagery was so beautiful and heartwrenching and the story was written with an underlying of hope and possibilites. It was a great read.
A.E. Croft
Jan 28, 2013 A.E. Croft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful prose and wonderful characters. I suddenly have the desire to visit Scotland and Ireland now, but I feel as though I've already lived there just from reading this book. Bitter sweet. It had me crying by the end. Definitely worth a reread.
Karin Millan
Feb 15, 2012 Karin Millan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Dundee Scotland back in 1911 this is why i liked it. Brought the old country and the way of living during the ist world war home to me.
Jaime Ruck
Jaime Ruck rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Katie Stobbart
Katie Stobbart rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2010
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2008
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2007
Christine Robert
Christine Robert rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2017
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2010
Bev Haskins
Bev Haskins rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Tamara Lane
Tamara Lane rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2009
rachel
rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
prescribed
prescribed rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Cassandra  Clark
Cassandra Clark rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2016
Shirl
Shirl rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2016
Cristina
Cristina rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Bryan Candy
Bryan Candy rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Dessa
Dessa rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Andrea MacPherson, poet and novelist, is the author of six books: three novels, What We Once Believed, Beyond the Blue, and When She Was Electric, and three poetry collections, Ellipses, Away, and Natural Disasters. Her poetry has been anthologized in the UK publication, How the Light Gets In.

When She Was Electric was listed No. 6 on CBC Canada Reads: People’s Choice; Natural Disasters was longlis
More about Andrea MacPherson...