Start by marking “Wessex Tales” as Want to Read:
Wessex Tales

Thomas Hardy

Wessex Tales

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  772 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In this, his first collection of short stories, Hardy sought to record the legends, superstitions, local customs, and lore of a Wessex that was rapidly passing out of memory. But these tales also portray the social and economic stresses of 1880s Dorset, and reveal Hardy's growing scepticism about the possibility of achieving personal and sexual satisfaction in the modern w...more
Published April 24th 1986 by Macmillan London (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Wessex Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wessex Tales

Ali
By now I think I must have made it fairly obvious that I love Thomas Hardy, and so I was looking forward to my re-reading of this superb collection of Hardy shorter fiction for my on-going Hardy reading challenge.
Wessex Tales contains seven stories, the first two of them really very short – the others considerably longer. In this collection Hardy explored familiar themes of marriage and rural life that we see in his novels, but he also experiments rather in a supernatural tale, ‘The Withered Ar...more
Nancy
In the first place, I love Thomas Hardy so the fact I would like his Wessex Tales is a given.
Hardy also shows his versatility in depicting the lives of every day people, the poor and the rich, a supernatural tale, a story about smuggling and smugglers and a potential love affair gone awry.
Hardy was also recording legends and customs of his native Dorset.
For me, at least, it was just fun to "go home" and listen to the music of the language.
Jim
It took me a long time to read Hardy, I guess there is a fear of approaching a great novelist. These short stories are an ideal introduction, after reading these I was inspired to read "Tess of the D'Ubervilles" and I am currently reading "The Return of the Native". Hardy is like the rural equivalent of Dickens, exposing the inequalities of the Victorian Countryside just as Dickens was exposing the inequalities in Victorian London. Hardy's tales are set in Wessex which loosely corresponds with D...more
Everett Darling
Hardy's got a true talent for tragedy. The Melancholy Hussar, a doleful tale of ill–fated lovers, brought a tear to my cheek, while Fellow-Townsmen and The Withered Arm nearly did the same.

The stories are simply too short. Not that short-story writing isn't an art unto itself, where one could concede to a certain format. Only that Hardy's world seems to call for a lengthier story. I found myself drawn in, and before being completely in the throws, was pulled out again to speculate on lives I was...more
Nell  (andnellwrites)
This is a great introduction to those unfamiliar with Hardy's work. Easy to digest and never 'bogged down' with allusive or flowery language, this is Hardy stripped down. Each tale possesses its own element of scandal, with characters embroiled in extra-marital affairs of the heart, illegitimate children and jealousy. What's all the more tantalising is often Hardy refrains from being so explicit. Much is revealed through the gossipy aside from an otherwise irrelevant stock character, with the se...more
Elaine
Sometimes I tire of reading a short story anthology because you get into a story, and then it ends, and then you have to meet a new set of characters, etc. However, for anyone who reads a lot of Hardy, some of these stories were expanded to be included as scenes of some of his novels, and I thought it was fun to examine them under that light.
Elizabeth (Alaska)
Not all editions of Wessex Tales are created equal. It was first published in 1888 with 5 stories. A new edition was published in 1896, which included a new story "An Imaginative Woman." There was one more edition in 1912 which included the core five stories, but seemingly played musical chairs with others.

I have been reading Hardy on my Kindle (Complete Works of Thomas Hardy) which included the 1896 edition. I'm so glad for that, else I would have missed that added story, which was one of my f...more
Courtney

5) Fellow-Townsmen
6) Interlopers at the Knap
7) The Distracted Preacher
David
I first read Thomas Hardy in my very first course at ASU. It was Critical Reading and Writing About Literature and the professor was a very eccentric woman, Kathryn Harris. I hated that class, but I'm glad she introduced me to Thomas Hardy.
eden
Loved this. Each story is like a super-concentrated shot of bitterness and misery. Looking for all the depression a Hardy novel can muster but don't have the time for hundreds of pages? This is your book!
Lloyd
Some absolutely spanking Wessex vignettes are to be discovered in this selection. The journey to the house in 'The Three Strangers' is particularly memorable.
Gilly McGillicuddy
I loved these a lot. Yet more short stories to add to the list for this year. I never usually read short stories. Wth, 2008? Wth?
Kevin
A collection of short stories. Some of these were excellent, in particular, "The Withered Hand." Others were just OK.
Sarah Dorra
Thomas Hardy didn't become The Thomas hardy for nothing.
Anca
Aug 24, 2008 Anca rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bbe
Shelves: old-holidays
Cuprinsul cartii m-a descumpanit un pic pentru ca în carte sînt reunite Povestiri din Wessex care, din cîte stiam, sînt un volum separat, si Cîteva amintiri ale calatorilor din diligenta. Sa înteleg deci ca astea compun volumul Micile ironii ale vietii? Pentru ca pe Amazon volumul e structurat altfel. Oricum, sa purcedem:

În primul rînd, ma asteptam sa gasesc mai multa ironie în povestiri; nu ca n-ar fi fost, dar nu atît de evidenta si amara cum credeam ca e genul lui Hardy. Nu-i nimic; e de rema...more
Lee Anne
This collection of short stories and novellas starts out slow, with stories that typify my "Why I Don't Like Short Stories" problem (and why don't I like short stories? It's usually two reasons: The story fizzles out, with no real ending, and/or the ending is supposed to be a shocking twist that I can see coming well before it's intended.). But then "The Withered Arm" is a real corker; even though I figured it out beforehand, it still had a creepy sense of dread and escalating tension. "Fellow-T...more
Becky
This contains some of my favourite short stories by Hardy; 'The Melancholy Hussar of the German Legion' is probably one of the sweetest short stories I've read, and it was a desire to reread this one which prompted me to reread the whole book again today. Hardy manages to create such a sense of longing and loss in such a short space, this alone confirms him as one of the greats in my opinion. 'The Withered Arm' and 'The Distracted Preacher' are quite wonderful, while the rest of the stories are...more
Apr 29, 2014 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Wanda
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.
Kate Millin
I am reading this in an e-book complete works edition as part of an online Hardy reading group. We are reading the novels in the order in which they were published. I have enjoyed reading these short stories a lot. I liked the fact that Hardy included a range of styles of story including mysteries which you don't get in his full length novels. I also found it a quicker read - maybe because they were shorter.
Dark-Draco
A great little book with some worthwhile stories. My favourite was the one about the German soldier, even though it was very sad. Although I also liked the smuggling one a lot too. This was the sort of book that's great to dip in and out of, and I returned to it several times over a few weeks, reading a story and then returning it to my bookshelf until I felt like another!
Ria
Brilliant collection of tales, predominantly stories of local legends of smuggling, supernatural and thwarted love, its hard to categorise these into just one style of writin as every story is so vastly different, i have read his work before but these took on a whole different aspect of writing.
Well worth reading.
Russell George
Wonderful to read Hardy again, and also to be reminded how enjoyable he is. Real sense of place and time, but his characters usually act and react in ways familiar to any generation. Not sure whether I could embark on another of his novels, but as a short story writer he’s very easy to pick up again.
Laurie
A collection of stories wrote in the 1800's. They are a bit hard to understand at times because they are so old but you still get the meaning of the stories. It's hard to believe they were wrote so long ago but they go to show some things never change. The stories about the hangman are interesting.
Susan Jo Grassi
Thomas Hardy easily captures the raw feelings of the common man in situations that range from the bizarre to the depressing. These six short stories are no exception. Two of the six had relatively happy ending while the other four drained me with reality.
Antony Bennett
As always, Thomas Hardy's writing creates a vivid sense of place and of the people who live there. He creates a world which is often harsh, sometimes amusing, but always compelling, and the stories in this collection make fine companions to his longer works.
Angela Sellers
Thomas Hardy is probably my favorite author from this time period. He did such a good job at accurately portraying human nature, and his writing style is beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed reading these short stories, and I look forward to my next book from him.
Haythem Bastawy
Some of the tales are interesting with a tinge of the folkloric supernatural, in my opinion these are the good ones. My favourite one is the Whithered Arm. The majority however are more of the conventional Thomas Hardy type on love and marriage.
Craig
A series of short stories by Thomas Hardy dealing with the rural life of Wessex County, England during the first half of the 19th century. Very enjoyable, but for me they are not up to the caliber of his novels.
Kathy B
As a huge fan of Thomas Hardy, I was thrilled when this book was selected for our group. From gothic to social commentary to great ironic twists in the story outcomes, I found I was not disappointed.
Robert
What a strange book of short stories. Each has the classic Hardy ironic twist, but compacted into fifty pages, and without the long-winded descriptions of the countryside.
  • Scenes of Clerical Life
  • Roderick Hudson
  • El duelo
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • St. Mawr & The Man Who Died
  • In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga)
  • The Nether World
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • Mosses from an Old Manse
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his facination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates char...more
More about Thomas Hardy...
Tess of the d'Urbervilles Far from the Madding Crowd  Jude the Obscure The Mayor of Casterbridge The Return of the Native

“Is it necessary to add that the echoes of many characteristic tales, dating from that picturesque time, still linger about here, in more or less fragmentary form to be caught by the attentive ear? Some of them I have repeated; most of them I have forgotten; one I have never repeated, and assuredly can never forget.” 2 likes
“She always said that the one feature in his proposal which overcame her hesitation was the obvious purity and straightforwardness of his intentions. He showed himself to be so virtuous and kind: he treated her with a respect to which she had never before been accustomed; and she was braced to the obvious risks of the voyage by her confidence in him.” 2 likes