Start by marking “El Anatomista” as Want to Read:
El Anatomista

El Anatomista

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,302 ratings  ·  99 reviews
El héroe de esta novela es Mateo Colón, un anatomista del Renacimiento que al enamorarse de una prostituta veneciana, Mona Sofía, emprende la búsqueda de algún tipo de pócima que le permita conseguir su amor. El anatomista da comienzo así, nada más ni nada menos, a la ardua exploración de la misteriosa naturaleza de las mujeres. Es nuestro héroe un hombre avanzado a su tie ...more
Published March 28th 1997 by Planeta (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about El Anatomista, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Anatomista

Andrés Laverde Ortiz
Usando una expresión muy de mi círculo de amigos ¡este libro es una falta de respeto! Y no por malo, no juzguen mal, sino porque a veces resulta injusto que entre tanto libro malo solo unos pocos tengan la capacidad de escribir como lo hace este señor que debo decir, se me ha metido en el corazón como uno de mis escritores favoritos.

Como en Las Piadosas, El Anatomista (que fue antes) es una novela con descripciones fascinantes, usos del lenguaje muy originales, imágenes nuevas y personajes (¡qué
Rand
Aug 30, 2013 Rand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: clitoral realists
Recommended to Rand by: fate
A LESSON IN CLITERACY,

This novel explores the beginnings of Western medicine in acknowledging the existence of the only human organ devoted solely to pleasure. Of course, the full extent of the clit would not be mapped until much much later. But as far as historical-literary-medical-religious smut, this book is rather balanced. Tidy, even.

(view spoiler)
Teresa
Matteo Realdo Colombo viveu na época renascentista e foi professor de anatomia e cirurgião na Universidade de Pádua. É autor da obra De re anatomica, na qual descreve a circulação pulmonar e faz referencia ao Amor Veneris, Vel Dulcedo Appelletur.

Mateo Colombo, consumido por uma paixão não correspondida, parte à procura, tal como o seu homónimo, da sua "América"...
Na sua viagem, em busca da poção do amor, encontra, na pessoa de Inês de Torremolinos, a "Alma" das mulheres - "o instrumento capaz de
Asia
Sep 05, 2007 Asia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like the historical views of anatomy
This book was a small jewel of anatomical and historical reference. With intrigue and drama the author incases a brilliant treaty of 16th century philosophical/anatomical thought in a gripping love story. If you appreciate and are interested in the way anatomists thought during the 16th century then this is a book you will enjoy.
Daphne

description

If everyone of these images make you think of a vagina, then this book is for you.

What a sexy. Twisted. Perverted. Mostly historical accurate book. There were several scenes in this book that will offend, titillate, and make you either laugh or want to throw up. I laughed, but I'm not a generally morally upright type of person.

Here is a bonus picture of Jesus on the arse of a dog:
Kate
Eh, not a bad read. But my dedication failed before I reached the end. The trial dragged on too much, and the characters never really grab you. Also, Andahazi repeats himself too much and Andahazi repeats himself too much.
Mj
Something to ponder about for philosophers or theologians, however antiquated. Definitely not something modern day anatomists or doctors should emulate, believe nor regress into. It's quite sexist but the setting was centuries ago so that's a bit understandable.
Gives you a feeling of being a bit violated too since the protagonist is male. And it's interesting how prostitution is both a source of feminine power and shame at the same time.
Written well enough. I somehow just got lost in the philos
Karmen
The writing is luscious in its descriptiveness. The writer, from Argentina, seems to have the same fluidity as a number of other excellent writers from there.

The Anatomist, Mateo Colombo, in his research at celebrates Venetian institution "finds" the clitoris. His "research" is documented in his treatise "De re anatomica" delivers him in front of the Catholic Church for heresy.

A must read at times witty, tragic and absolutely humorous.
Anne
After reading some of the reviews, I say "don't shoot the messenger". The author has obviously, very much so, written the book to expose the sexist, complicit attitude of the church and society regarding women firstly, and their sexuality, secondly. A really good account of attitudes then and reasonably well written. The characters are only symbolic of those that existed at the time. A good attempt at fictionalising the attitudes of the Renaissance and prior. Put modern day sensibilities away wh ...more
Katsumi
This novel is nicely done--deserving of more credit than many reviewers here have given it. It is in part a love story, in part an exploration of sexual repression and religious intolerance of science, in part a comic look at how men have historically been mystified by the female body (and, for that matter, by women). The linkage of clitoral stimulation to witchcraft seemed plausible to me as a 16th century viewpoint, and in any event was quite funny. In addition I thought it was tastefully erot ...more
Tilly
After reading all the reviews here I was very excited to read this, but now I've finished I just feel...disappointed. Cheated.

I don't know if the problem comes from the translation or not but the writing style was unconventional, to say the least. It felt not like a novel but more like a text book or a scientific journal, with little characterisation and plenty of jargon, so that sometimes I had to re-read a passage two or three times just to get the gist. I had been hoping for a novel - for mor
Mika Auramo
Federico Andahazin aikoinaan kohua herättänyt teos kertoo italialaisesta anatomian opettajasta ja tutkijasta nimeltä Matteus Realdus Kolumbus, joka onnistuu bordellitutkimuksissaan löytämään klitoriksen nimeten sen Amor venerikseksi.

Eletään siis inkvisition kulta-aikaa, ja tutkijan vähintäänkin kyseenalaiset ja moraalittomat menetelmät johtavat tuomareiden eli inkvisiittorien eteen. Samalla kun Matteus kuin ihmeen kaupalla ja veijariromaanien tapaan onnistuu luovimaan odottavan roviotuomion varj
Luis Diego Camacho Mora
Siempre me ha encantado el "surrealismo" de Andahazi, pero este libro lo hace ver tan real y se incorpora en el pensamiento del siglo XVIII de una forma tan creíble que me rompió los esquemas que conocía del autor, en ese sentido... porque su enganche con temas sexuales y su locura para narrarlos es fascinante. Además para mí tiene el plus de los años que duré para conseguirlo.
Vit Babenco
When the postmodern author decides to have a literary outing into the history the result is usually not too complimentary for the historic science. But the book is usually a great fun to read. And so it is with The Anatomist - a tale of the grand anatomic discovery. Even Sigmund Freud may be jealous.
Gabyash
Excelente libro! Me llevo a la espera de un final y fue inesperado. Junto con una filosofía muy diferente de lo que pensamos y sabemos hoy en día.
Pero que sin duda alguna nos damos cuenta que la mujer antes y ahora siempre jugara un papel importante al hablarse de amor, sexo y pasión!
Ricardo
El primer libro de Andahazi que leí. Cuando Mateo Colón, anatomista, descubre el secreto femenino en ese pequeño universo que después se llamaría "clítoris", el autor te atrapa y evita a toda costa que abandones la lectura. Uno de mis autores favoritos.
Jeremy Hornik
It's been a few years since I read this, so my memory may be shaky. In the renaissance, a science dude discovers the clitoris. Women do not particularly benefit from the discovery. Some people are burned at the stake.
Mary Newcomb
Sly, witty and a bit dark are the first characteristics to list of this novel set during the Inquisition. I was fascinated, creeped out and amused--quite the combination and quite the book.
Petesake
A little known historical topic...the discovery of the clitoris! quite enjoyable. But at the ending, the author did a good job of depressing me.
David
El efímero arte de dar placer; disciplina que, como la de la conversación, no dejaba huella ni testimonio.
Omar Zambrano
De verdad que no esperaba un libro tan elegantemente escrito y de una historia tan vívida, coloquial y con tantos toques históricos. Ilustrado en las antiguas ciudades europeas, el autor construye una alegoría al cuerpo humano, en especial, el de la mujer. Se retrata de forma pausible como en los lejanos años de la inquisición cualquier descubrimiento era vetado por la iglesia y en peores ocasiones, atribuidos como herejes que se consumirian en hogueras.

La unión del placer, el cuerpo y la anato
Marcos Tavares
Estamos no século XVI em que a ciência em geral ainda tinha muitos mistérios a desvendar. Nesse período em que o renascentismo surgia no mundo, as mulheres em geral eram pouco valorizadas, não tendo voz nem vez. Há também uma forte influência da igreja por sobre os costumes sociais. Quase tudo era considerado diabólico e motivo para ser levado ao julgamento da Inquisição. Com medo de serem queimados em praça pública, muitos cientistas omitiram seus trabalhos que, muitas vezes, traziam grandes de ...more
Dannuel Saùl Delizo
Such a pontifical, wondrous, thought-provoking history! The question is whether the Amor Veneris, Mateo Colombo's "America", exists or not. Since his work was banned from exposing to the men of science and general public, the discovery still stands as an enigma for researchers, and pasquinade for the trivial many. Mateo also had the most tragic life I've ever witnessed by the power of the fine print. I also learned that people in the 16th century, or the century of women, were all too decrepit b ...more
Rachel
I originally picked up this book after getting on a Renaissance kick, plus I liked that it was part gender history/religion/sexuality. It was a very odd book. I definitely varied between thinking it was genius and total crap. Some things may be lost in translation, but it was frustrating how the author left so many loose ends.

The story is based off the real-life character of Mateo Realdo (Renaldo in the book) Colombo, who is apparently not related to the famous Columbus, but did discover his ow
Arya
"The book is more than a nod to Gabriel Garcia Marquez" ? This is definitely an over-rated statement. Anyway, the language of the text is sensuous and sexy, that is, just the first part.

Why i've given it three stars:

1. It gives you a glimpse of the 16th century.

2. If you are a feminist, you might want to go through it, because it gives you the real, deep-rooted patriarchy and mysogyny, and what alarms one is that these very seeds have not perished through the centuries but have survived, and hav
Vicky
Leí la versión original en español y lo encontré muy, muy bueno. Lo leí en menos de una semana, una vez lo empecé no pude dejarlo. El ritmo y la forma como se describen los personajes y la trama son muy frescos y originales a pesar de ser un libro escrito ya hace tiempo. Me gustó la forma como compara el descubrimiento de América con el descubrimiento del clítoris, como historias paralelas. Es una novela histórica bien diferente, para mi fue imposible no reír a carcajadas con varios de los pasaj ...more
Elizabeth Desole
It was quite repetitive for such a short book. The basic premise is the life of a fictional anatomist who "discovers" the clitoris. I was frustrated with the constant referring of the clitoris as "his America" (his name is Columbus). I know that it was supposed to be parodying society's (especially religions) discomfort with females and their genitalia, but I often felt it didn't succeed in the parody.
Jillian
I read a lot of bizarre books and am fascinated by medical discoveries and fallacies in the Renaissance, so the fact that I want to give this book only 2-3 stars is not a good sign. It's certainly daring and intriguing, but the sexuality and sexism (which, yes, largely come with the territory) become especially tiring when presented in a style that is sometimes repetitive and overblown. (A brief example: Andahazi ruins a perfectly poetic section about the rain by going on too long and ending wit ...more
Faedyl
Este libro es LO MAS.
Tiene dosis de intriga misterio y muy muy hilarante por momentos. Lo novedoso es el tema y la forma en que el autor nos lo presenta.
Este libro ganó el concurso de novela de Clarín pero se negaron a premiarlo porque lo consideraron obsceno. La obscenidad es la imposibilidad de hablar de todos los temas, cuando nos quieren cambiar la cabeza.
El final es espectacular :D
Ricardo
Basado en algunos hechos históricos, el autor crea esta novela alrededor del descubrimiento del clítoris por Mateo Colón. Este personaje exisitió y además de describir con mucho detalle el sistema circulatorio se atribuyó el crédito de "descubrir" el clítoris en la anatomía femenina. El autor traza un paralelo entre este Colón y su tocayo Cristóbal, quién "descubrió" América un siglo antes. Al intentar publicar su descubrimiento, Mateo se debe enfrentar a la santa inquisición. El autor hace buen ...more
A Million More Pages: The Anatomist: May 1 9 18 May 04, 2015 11:15PM
  • Dos mujeres en Praga
  • Amantes y enemigos: Cuentos de parejas
  • Operación Masacre
  • El penúltimo sueño
  • No me esperen en abril
  • Traveler of the Century
  • Santa Evita
  • Wij, twee jongens
Federico Andahazi is the son of Bela Andahazi, Hungarian poet and psychoanalyst, and Juana Merlín. During his adolescence, he began to read the classical Argentine and universal authors. He used to escape from school, that reflected the oppressive military dictatorship ruler, to meet with friends in bookstores and bars on Corrientes Avenue, emblematic place of Buenos Aires culture.

It was at this
More about Federico Andahazi...
The Merciful Women El conquistador El secreto de los flamencos La Ciudad de los Herejes Pecar como Dios manda: Historia sexual de los argentinos (Historia sexual de los argentinos, #1)

“¿Qué sucedería si las hijas de Eva descubrieran que llevan en el medio de las piernas las llaves del cielo y del infierno?” 6 likes