Start by marking “The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,555 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Lighthouses have guided sailors, adventurers, and dreamers throughout the world for centuries. And a very important lighthouse stands tucked beneath the great gray span of the George Washington Bridge on the Hudson River. This timeless and thoroughly charming story reveals how the proud little red lighthouse learned that even though it was very small, it was still mighty. ...more
Published September 24th 1942 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1942)

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

Brian James
'Once upon a time a little lighthouse was built on a sharp point of the shore by the Hudson River.

It was round and fat and red.

It was fat and red and jolly.

And it was VERY, VERY PROUD.'

This is the story of the last remaining lighthouse on Manhattan Island in New York City, a place once home to many such lighthouses. In the classic picture book tradition, this functional object is imbued with the friendly qualities equal to its usefulness. The reader cheers for the heroic lighthouse and fears for
Scott L.
This is an amazing book. I first heard it read on the "Captain Kangaroo" show in the mid 1960's - and loved it so much I asked my parents to buy it for me. They did, and now I have bought it for my daughter, my nephew and my niece. And the best part is that the Little Red Lighthouse is still there, on Manhattan under the "great gray bridge" - the George Washington Bridge. A wonderfully imaginative book that I would recommend to anyone who has children to read to.
I didn't know this little children's book gem existed until I read about it as the character Steve read it to his niece and nephew and another child in a women's fiction novel (Letting Go: The Maryland Shores). Apparently it has delighted readers since the 1940s and well, it's delighted me now. I purchased it because I like lighthouses and intend to give as a gift.

The endearing message is that this little red lighthouse stands on the banks of the Hudson River in New York City beneath the George
Eva Kelly
So OK. Here's another subject of books I love: things that are things but are like people in stories. Like Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel, and this one. It's about a little red lighthouse (cause that's the NAME! HA!) and the lighthouse keeps everyone safe, but one day they build a big bridge over him and he gets sad because he can't help people anymore. But just when he thinks he's ruined, guess what? They come and put his light on so he WORKS again! And they all live happily ever after!
I didn't read this until my husband introduced me to it as an adult (it was one of his childhood favorites). Now I can't look at the GW without thinking about the little red lighthouse below.
I totally did not tear up at the end of this book. >.>

I envision a lot of little nieces and nephews getting copies of this for birthdays/Christmas.
Particularly fun for children living in New York or new Jersey who regularly commute over the GW bridge.
J L's Bibliomania
We regularly drive over the George Washington Bridge, and my husband has told us the story and we've looked for the lighthouse, but I only sought out The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Editionat the prompting of 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. My kids are past the age where this would be a hit, but I wish I had taken the time to find it when they were aged 4-6 and obsessed with boats and transportation. If your child loves classics like Mike Mul ...more
Reminiscent of the books by Virginia Lee Burton, such as Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel and especially The Little House.

I picked this book because I have become a recent fan of artist Lynd Ward. This is nice book, about a very real little lighthouse in Manhattan's Washington Park, under the grand George Washington bridge. Happily, the lighthouse avoided demolition and still stands erect today, although sadly it is no longer lit.

My favorite picture is of..."A thick fog crept over the river an
The restored original watercolors printed on cream paper shine an even brighter light on this classic children's book. This is an example of the combination of imagination, craft, and care that fuel my passion for books. E-readers have a place, but this story would not look or feel quite as beautiful in an electronic form.
I was skeptical about this book at first because I teach 4 and 5 year olds and just wasn't sure. It seemed long at first glance. I was wrong. They absolutely adored it. They were so interested in the bridge (The George Washington Bridge) and lighthouse I had to look up youtube videos for them.
Amazing illustrations with so few colors-a lot of beautiful detail. And a great story about self-worth, no matter how small one is.
Earl Baugh
One of my most favorite children's books.
Esp. since it's based on actual buildings.
I love picture books based around physical landmarks that kids can see and relate to. It gives the world around us a little more 'life'.

The minimal colour illustrations are an indication of it's printing era (1942) and are warmly drawn. It does look and feel dated, but if read together I'm certain many children will still take to the story. In fact, I didn't find it a particularly 'girls' or 'boys' book, because although the setting of boats & bridges are more likely to appeal to boys, the
Everyone is a thread in a huge beautiful tapestry!
This is a book about a lighthouse. I cried about it.
Reminiscent of V L Burton's "The Little House"
One of my absolute favorites from childhood.
A wonderful story about believing in yourself and the uniqueness that is every individual. This was a favorite of mine growing up. For years my dad would taunt me that The Little Red Lighthouse didn't really exist—that it was just a myth—but I believed and defended it's existence even though it was years before I would see it for myself.

This book was also so beloved that when it became known the lighthouse was to be demolished, area children protested and saved the landmark. It still stands ben
The Library Lady
Any child who reads this will forever after (even when they are past 40!) be watching for the lighthouse as they drive near the George Washington Bridge in NYC.

In addition to being a wonderful story every child should experience, this book shows the power a story can have. Because of this book, the Little Red Lighthouse (official named the Jeffrey's Hook lighthouse) was restored and can be visited by children and their families. Go to for more information. And
Jonathan Watts
(Review is for a different edition)

This was one of my favorite books as a child. The message of the story is great, however the illustrations are what make this book stand out.

You are important! No matter how small or insignificant events or people make you feel, your size doesn't matter, you can make a difference and you are needed in your world!

This is a great book for kids of all ages, and I enjoy reading it to my children just as much as I once enjoyed having it read to me when I was their a
This was recommended to me by Dick "Your Voice Sounds Like Angels" VK. He stared at the lighthouse and bridge in this story for quite some time while his daughter was in the hospital for an extended stay. I feel that this book was probably awesome when it first came out in 1942 and as it is a Reading Rainbow book, I'm sure it remained awesome for quite some time. I can also see how Dick likes it, since he has an emotional tie. Me? I was bored silly.
This is an amazing read aloud for storytime. I found myself quite easily with the text to be animated. The watercolor illustrations are lovely and I understand why this is a vintage story brought back to life. Well worthy to be a classic with such beauty in color as we'll as in text. Also on top if that already merit it has a great meaning and moral message in the purpose of the new and old. Definitely a worthy purchase well made.
Very interesting book which makes non-fiction fun to read by personifying the lighthouse, bridge, boats and fog. The illustrations are nice and warm and the story is easy to read, without being elementary. I loved that the story of the lighthouse's restoration was on the back cover. The moral that even small people/jobs can still be very important and needed is sure to appeal to children.
Nov 27, 2007 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
i have the 1973 printed edition.

i was first given this book when i was a child. many, many, many years later i still have the book.

i still read it every once in a while. i would like to go to new york someday to see if the little red lighthouse and the great gray bridge are still standing side by side on the hudson river ... ... who knows - one day i just might.
I love the fact that this very old lighthouse still stands in the shadow of the great George Washington Bridge-a bridge whose lights I grew up seeing from my bedroom window without ever knowing the lighthouse hidden behind it. The pictures are well-done & it evokes a sense of somehow nostalgic pride in my "hometown" - New York City.
One of my favorite children's books of all time from when I was a kid. And did you know you can actually go see the Little Red Lighthouse, its located at the base of the eastern pier of the George Washington Bridge in New York City.

That and a Lighthouse with an inferiority complex, and a can't go wrong with that!
Sep 24, 2011 Allison rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers & Up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
This is a cute story first published in 1942 that brings lighthouse, boats and bridges to life as sentient beings. For children who already know and love Thomas the Tank Engine and/or Theodore Tugboat, this story will be a natural favorite for them. It's also a great story about being proud of what one does and doing it well.
A gorgeous old picture book in the same vein as Little Toot, with its anthropomorphised boats and structures and sound moral message: 'Each to his own place, little brother'. The illustrations are top-notch and exquisitely detailed. Next time I'm in NY, I'll have to look out for the little lighthouse. :)
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • The Church Mouse
  • Up in the Tree
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Lotta's Bike
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Night Of The Moonjellies