Start by marking “I'm Not Scared!. Jonathan Allen” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Scared!. Jonathan Allen

I'm Not Scared!. Jonathan Allen (I'm Not...)

Baby Owl is out for a moonlit stroll through the woods but each animal he bumps into tells him not to be scared! Can Baby Owl convince them that this is what owls are meant to do and more importantly, that he is not scared!
Board Book, 24 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Boxer Books (first published May 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Scared!. Jonathan Allen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Scared!. Jonathan Allen

karen
i don't think i really understand this book. it seems to be teaching children that people are going to be annoying throughout your life and there's really nothing you can do about it. which is an important one,as far as lessons go, but i think the author had a different goal; i just think it ended up being less effective than he thought it would be.

so there is this baby owl, and i'm pretty sure owls are nocturnal, and he's just strolling through the woods one night with his stuffed owl, minding
Jason Koivu
* * * Read to me by my niece Emma * * *

A little owl with his stuffed animal "Owly" go for a walk in the woods at night and well-meaning nocturnal folks like bats and badgers pop out from behind trees and whatnot, frightening the poop out of the poor little guy, to ask if he should be out at night. He's not scared, he reassures them, but they are scaring Owly! Cute stuff.

Emma plowed through I'm Not Scared! mostly with ease, hamming it up towards the end by reading in a sing-song voice. She didn'
Kathy
Sep 11, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the illustrations in this book. Sometimes that's all it takes for me to enjoy a picture book.
Marissa
The first time I saw this book I knew it would be a hit for my storytime program (I really enjoyed it, too!) It's definitely something that children can identify with and the somewhat predictable nature and rhythm to the story makes it perfect for them to chime in.

I read it twice for two different programs for children between 3 and 5. I began by asking them if they were ever scared, and just like the book, some of them said "noooooooo!" I printed out pictures from Google of the supporting char
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
A story about baby owl being alone after dark in the woods. But he is not scared.
Chelsea Kirkland
Cute ending
-theatrical reading
-Animals that are out at night
-Ms Tea's "crowd-pleasers"
Robyn
I'm not scared! Written by Jonathan Allen

What is the book about?
This book is very cute! The story revolves around Baby Owl. One night he decides to take his stuffed animal Owly out on a walk. He runs into a Bear, Badger, and Bat all of whom tell Baby Owl to not be afraid. Finally, Baby Owl runs into his Papa. Baby Owl tells his Papa that he is not afraid and Papa tells his son that they must have been told that to Owly not him. Papa sees that the sun is about to come up so he brings his son ba
Erin
“I’m not scared!” is about a baby owl who decides to take a quite nighttime stroll that ends up being a bit stressful as various nighttime creatures startle him along the way forcing him to proclaim with much irritation “I’m not scared!” Although Baby Owl states again and again that he is not scared, and that he is only doing what owls are supposed to do, it is obvious that he is indeed just a bit frightened of the dark, a relatable feeling for many young children. The story is cute and funny, a ...more
Rosita
This book about Baby Owl being brave walking in the woods. The badger popped up, but the Baby Owl is not scared, but the Baby Owl has courage to say that he is not scared. The Baby Owl repeated it to the bear and bat until Papa came to see Baby Owl for himself. Papa Owl read Baby Owl a story, tucked him into a warm bed. Papa remind him it's okay to be a little bit scared of the dark, but the Baby Owl blame his stuff owl that he was scared not Baby Owl.

Learning Expereince: The children can play h
Douglas Cootey
Apparently, Baby Owl is the star of its own series. This surprises me because I found Baby Owl to be an ornery li'l turd. Perhaps other books in the series are more charming? The text of the story is alright. A child is afraid of the dark, but blames its doll while adults try to comfort him. Every adult is kind, loving, and patient. Frankly, Baby Owl doesn't deserve them.

The illustration style was interesting. The bulk of the art is blurry in that computer painted way, but defining characterist
Sam Gallagher
Little Owl is out past his bedtime, but he's not scared! Being out at night is what owls do right? Luckily Papa Owl is there to offer a comforting hug and tell him that it's okay to be afraid of the dark, even if he is an owl. This book is illustrated in watercolor and has an endearing story. It is probably geared towards a younger group of kids, but the theme is something that young kids will understand, being afraid of the dark. I could see kids liking this book, but I wasn't very thrilled wit ...more
Sarah(All The Book Blog Names Are Taken)
Read this one with my little one, but not sure I dig the message - that it is okay to shout at people who are looking out for you. I mean, I don't think that is the message Eleanor got from it, and I don't want to be one of those parents who puts my interpretation onto my child, but it was just kind of silly and it is not one she has asked for again.
Erin
Baby Owl takes a walk with his stuffed Owly at night. Different animals cross his path and tell him not to be scared to which he replies, "I'm NOT scared!" When he gets home, he tells his dad all about it. Apparently, it was Owly who kept jumping and being afraid.

Cute for preschool or toddler storytime.
The Brothers
A cute story of a little owl who goes for a walk in the woods at night with Owly - his stuffed animal. He comes across a variety of animals who tell him not to be scared and he shouldn't be out in the dark. He insists with every one that he is NOT scared and being out at night is what owls DO.

Very cute, fluffy illustrations.
Felicity The Magnificent
In this book, Baby Owl went for a walk in the woods. He found Badger. Bear tripped on Baby Owl. Baby Owl found Bat. Baby Owl found his daddy. His daddy read him a night time story and tucked him in. I liked this book because Baby Owl went for a walk in the woods. -by Felicity
Vivian
Oct 12, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any of the Baby Owl books by Jonathan Allen work well in a story time setting. Why? Large format. Engaging story. Children relate to Baby Owl's situations. Spare text. Big and bold illustrations.
Jennybug
Another great thrift store find. I am so addicted to children books. This was a cute one. This will be a great read for little kids right before you put them to bed! It would be fun to read camping.
Marya
Feb 04, 2010 Marya rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My little one and I both love the dark, deep blue backgrounds (and the cute fuzzy owl!). It's perfect for getting into the mood for bedtime. My one complaint is that the book ends with pages changing to a bright white as Baby Owl prepares for his (daytime) bed.
Jackie
Baby Owl and Owly are out for a nighttime walk. Badger, bear, and bat think he is going to be scared. But, "I'm Not Scared!", he says...owly is scared...at least that is what he tells Papa.

Used for Dream Big:READ! Owls storytime: June, 2012.
Serena
I had to read this twice because every time they said Owly at the end I kept thinking about Baby Owl. Blame it on me multitasking. This wasn't my favorite story but the illustrations are cute and Baby Owl is adorable holding onto Owly. I think the author has an awesome author picture.
Tim Johnson
Dec 03, 2015 Tim Johnson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-time
Little owl is clearly an obstinate and headstrong child. I think it's probably time for some pow-pows and time alone in your tree and maybe next time you'll think about it before you raise your voice to the adults like that!
Kristen
I really like the illustrations in here--they're cute and fun. But this was another one that didn't really go over super well in my toddler story time. None of them really "got" it and there weren't the giggles that I was expecting.
Ricci
May 14, 2015 Ricci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Storytime 5-14-15; vivid art, repetition, and the cute Baby Owl holding Owly makes this a winner!
Brendan Howard
Not sure children will understand the transference with Owly.
Karen
Sep 20, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has great illustrations -- very adorable and expressive. This book, however, does not have an especially good story.
Michael
Jan 05, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great because the baby owl says it is the doll that is scared. I think children can relate to this, my 3 year old likes the idea.
Ross
Jun 29, 2012 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of this book. It's Ben that likes it.
Christine Gaskins
Jun 16, 2012 Christine Gaskins rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any parent
read to my three yo son. cute story
Huda
Feb 03, 2011 Huda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en-pic-books
Whoever meets him thinks that he's scared , but he's not!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Tuck Me In!