Start by marking “Getting It Done: How to Lead When You're Not in Charge” as Want to Read:
Getting It Done: How to Lead When You're Not in Charge

Getting It Done: How to Lead When You're Not in Charge

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Let's face it. In this chaotic world of teams, matrix management, and horizontal organizations, it's tougher than ever to get things done. How do you lead when you're not the one in charge? How can you be effective when joint action is needed? You need an edge in order to reach solutions and effectively work with others.
Published May 5th 1999 by HarperBusiness (first published June 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Getting It Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting It Done

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinSteve Jobs Bio by J.T. Owens
Leadership & Business Books
40th out of 160 books — 157 voters
Poor Charlie's Almanack by Charles T. MungerSeeking Wisdom by Peter BevelinGetting to Yes by Roger FisherThe Outsiders by William N. Thorndike Jr.The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
Books Recommended by Charlie Munger
40th out of 50 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Kent White
Aug 26, 2014 Kent White rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. It has some great advice. However, I kept wondering if this was an abridgement as I was listening to it since it was so disjointed, but no, it was not abridged. The ideas are fine, but forgettable. I read it because it is one of Charlie Munger's favorite books, but it reads a lot like Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. A thought here, a thought there, and no systematic approach to implementing it. You will find some good ideas, but this is one to speed-read.
Nicole Smith
Favorite quotes:

"It would be a lucky break for you if at least part of the problem were the result of your behavior. Then you could improve the situation by improving your contribution. . . . The more you contribute to a bad situation, the more power you have to change it." p16

". . . solutions are not the answer. The answer is a better process for finding solutions." p21

". . . unless what you do today is related to where you want to end up, you will never get there." p42

". . . the time we have i
Andy
Sep 08, 2012 Andy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this is a disappointing sequel to Getting to Yes. There is nothing new. The essence of the practical advice is to focus on your circle of influence and quit if you have a bad boss. Duh.
Beyond that, there is much silly advice about persuading your boss to be a better leader by trying to teach him/her what it says in every blessed management book in existence. Good bosses don't need this because they are already soliciting suggestions and trying to improve their leadership skills. Bad bos
Alexander
May 12, 2014 Alexander rated it it was ok
Shelves: marketing, business
Getting It Done is a good read for anyone new to business; just everything said in the book is good and helpful advice, but if you've already done your basic business reading, you won't find anything new here. Not bad, but not great.
Jamie
Jul 14, 2013 Jamie rated it did not like it
Why is it 2013 and I am being asked reading a book about leadership written in 1999? Many things about this particular course do not make sense, but here we are. I opened this book and did some glancing, but I would not say I read it. Out & out grad school rebellion. I can't wait to return this to the library.
Tisha
May 31, 2012 Tisha rated it it was ok
Mostly I was disappointed because I thought this book would tell me how to lead when I wasn't the one with authority. It was really a re-hash of a bunch of famous books without any of the charisma of any of them. I didn't need to hear anything about setting goals of different lengths, for example.
Mary C. Brown
May 17, 2009 Mary C. Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Truly a great book. In the back, instead of an index, it has an easy-to-use outline. When you want apply the principles from the book, this makes it simple to review them.
Kim Kanofsky
Aug 10, 2013 Kim Kanofsky rated it it was amazing
This was a great leadership book! I highly recommend the tips and tactics, especially the sine-wave chart and the circle chart. I use those all the time now.
Yudhit
Apr 30, 2013 Yudhit rated it it was ok
Recommended to Yudhit by: Susan Fickling
I finally finish it..... uh uh... as I said before,I am not very good in reading serious stuff like this one. Hopefully, some of it get into my head :P.
Kristina
Aug 06, 2008 Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
Lateral leadership techniques for to get things done when your not the one in charge. Have a purpose or mission know what direction you want to lead people
Kim
Nov 25, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok
Some good tips and advice but very very circular. It folded in and back on itself multiple times until it became a bit mind-numbing.
Katherine
Mar 19, 2013 Katherine rated it liked it
Good advice though I though it could have been distilled into a couple of worksheets or into a workbook format.
Tim
May 15, 2011 Tim rated it it was ok
Can't say I was very moved after reading this. Overall good tips, but nothing earth shattering.
Bart-Jan
May 17, 2012 Bart-Jan rated it liked it
From the authors of 'Getting to Yes' on negotiation. This book is nice, but not as good as GtY
Val
Sep 14, 2008 Val is currently reading it
Very enlightening if you work in groups of any size.
Eng.Khalid Ib
Oct 22, 2011 Eng.Khalid Ib marked it as to-read
انجاز العمل
Don Wallace
Don Wallace marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jeff Page
Jeff Page marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Gina Popovic
Gina Popovic rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Hamish
Hamish marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Latif
Latif marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Renee Kida
Renee Kida rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Nabil
Nabil marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Elise Hein
Elise Hein rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Rosario Flores
Rosario Flores marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kenny
Kenny marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • Master of the Game: Steve Ross and the Creation of Time Warner
  • No Two Alike: Human Nature and Human Individuality
  • Darwin's Blind Spot: The Role of Living Interactions in Evolution
  • Workarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands Iworkarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands in Your Way at Work N Your Way at Work
  • Ice Age (Penguin Press Science)
  • Judgment in Managerial Decision Making
  • Les Schwab Pride in Performance: Keep It Going
  • The Martians of Science: Five Physicists Who Changed the Twentieth Century
  • Three Scientists and Their Gods: Looking for Meaning in an Age of Information
  • A Matter of Degrees: What Temperature Reveals about the Past and Future of Our Species, Planet, and U niverse
  • Andrew Carnegie
  • Models of My Life
  • The Art of Product Management: Lessons from a Silicon Valley Innovator
  • The Product Manager's Desk Reference
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • The Apple Experience: Secrets to Building Insanely Great Customer Loyalty
  • The Warren Buffett Portfolio: Mastering the Power of the Focus Investment Strategy
Roger Fisher is the Samuel Williston Professor of Law Emeritus, Director of the Harvard Negotiation Project, and the founder of two consulting organizations devoted to strategic advice and negotiation training.