Start by marking “The School and Society/The Child and the Curriculum” as Want to Read:
The School and Society/The Child and the Curriculum

The School and Society/The Child and the Curriculum

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  337 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
These two short, influential books represent the earliest authoritative statement of Dewey's revolutionary emphasis on education as an experimental, child-centered process. He declares that we must make schools an embryonic community life and stresses the importance of the curriculum as a means of determining the environment of the child. 4 halftones and 4 charts.
Published July 18th 2001 by Dover Publications (first published February 1956)

Asmaa
الكتاب فيه أفكار جيدة جدا ولكن التقييم على الترجمة ، بشعة ّ!
Andie
Nov 11, 2013 Andie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant! a must-read for any teacher
Cassandra Carico
Oct 19, 2015 Cassandra Carico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. I strongly believe in Progressivism and believe that more hands on learning needs to be incorporated into the modern classroom. John Dewey's ideas are very sound and should be explored in depth once again.
Ilana Waters
May 10, 2012 Ilana Waters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although written at the turn of the century, there are a lot of great (and practical) ideas about education in here. Anticipate that some of it will be dated, but also that youll wonder why the insights here are not employed more often in modern teaching and administration. ...more
Kathrina
Who, since Dewey, has thought about the foundations of American schooling as deeply? What is the purpose of school? To learn how to pass a test, or to learn how to interact in a socially and culturally dynamic world? One hundred years old, and still relevant.
Robert
Jul 03, 2010 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, philosophy, mst
I read this, I believe, for my philosophy of education class during my first graduate program. Dewey is the kingpin of the education system.
Tysseer Harak
كتاب جيد وأفكار مستنيرة ومتميزة, وفي نفس الوقت ترجمة ضحلة وتنم عن جهل لغوي وفقر فكري للمترجم (ألأذي يفترض فيه التخصص)
الكاتب (جون ديوي) صاحب البصمة الواضحة في تطوير التعليم , يناقش فكرة مهمة جدا وهي أن التعلم لا يجب أبدا أن يكون شيء معزول ومنفصل عن الحياة, وأن من الأسباب الرئيسية لمشاكل المدرسة وعدم محبة الطلبة لها هو إحساسهم أنهم يلعبون دورا مرسوما وغير واقعي ومفروض عليهم قسرا دون أن يدركوا الفائدة منه لأنهم لا يطبقون ما يتعلمونه في حياتهم اليومية, فصحيح أن التعليم يهدف ل"بناء المستقبل" إلا أنه
Chris Nagel
Clearly not Dewey's most insightful book on education, but it served its purpose in my Philosophy and Education class. I gave my students the chapter from Logic of Inquiry that deals with the idea of inquiry itself, arising from necessity and doubt, in order to clarify the connections between doing, knowing, and learning. Dewey is always dissatisfying to me.
Nitecrawler Lopez
Really great book, if the pedagogy of this book is not being exercised then our school curriculum is unfecund. Which might explain why there are so many dropouts in today's school, but I won't blame the the teachers but the system that will not let them practice it.
Scott
Jan 30, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of only a handful of books I was forced to read in college that actually made sufficient impression on me such that I still remember it today. Truly a landmark in the library of literature examining the philosophical foundations of education in America. No, I'm not kidding!
Gloria
Aug 18, 2010 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book consisting of two lectures. The second is much shorter than the first.

Most interesting though was the introduction by Phillip Jackson, which raises the question why is the work of Dewey not used / employed (especially after the Laboratory School)?

Jules
Jul 13, 2008 Jules rated it it was amazing
Dewey's seminal work. He had it figured out a hundred years ago. Too bad progressive education as a cohesive movement got derailed post World War II. Time to go old-school.
Elaine
Oct 03, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
A MUST READ for any teacher and educational theorists. Dewey's theories permeate through every stage and subject in education, and for good reason.
Jeffrey Albrecht
Dewey's somewhat radical analysis of the role of schools in society and the experience of children entering the school system...
Janet
Dec 27, 2009 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to understand most of the time, but some progressive ideas in improving the school system.
Fenixbird SandS
Nov 26, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: history US education
Progressivism as an educational philosophy & founding of American school system.
Yousuf
Sep 10, 2008 Yousuf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogy
No teacher should go unexposed to the poetic insight of John Dewey!
Patrick\
Apr 19, 2008 Patrick\ rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Ditto to my other review of Dewey.
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
PalOma Moron
PalOma Moron marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Mior Amir
Mior Amir marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Mattia
Mattia marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Mira Safar
Mira Safar marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
JS
JS added it
Jun 16, 2016
Ivan Kavalerov
Ivan Kavalerov marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
  • The Process of Education
  • The Dialectic of Freedom (John Dewey Series) (John Dewey Lecture)
  • Education for Critical Consciousness (Impacts)
  • Thought and Language
  • The Paideia Proposal: An Educational Manifesto
  • A Place Called School
  • Basic Principles of Curriculum and Instruction
  • The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom
  • Horace's Compromise: The Dilemma of the American High School
  • The Reader, the Text, the Poem: The Transactional Theory of the Literary Work
  • Ideology and Curriculum
  • What Do I Do Monday?
  • We Make the Road by Walking: Conversations on Education and Social Change
  • Death at an Early Age
  • The Schools Our Children Deserve: Moving Beyond Traditional Classrooms and "Tougher Standards"
  • Schooling In Capitalist America: Educational Reform And The Contradictions Of Economic Life
  • The Montessori Method
  • To Teach: The Journey, in Comics
John Dewey was an American philosopher, psychologist and educational reformer whose ideas have been influential in education and social reform. Dewey, along with Charles Sanders Peirce and William James, is recognized as one of the founders of the philosophy of pragmatism and of functional psychology. He was a major representative of the progressive and progressive populist philosophies of schooli ...more
More about John Dewey...