Start by marking “Saint Morrissey” as Want to Read:
Saint Morrissey

Read Book* *Different edition

Saint Morrissey

There is no other contemporary artist who is so famously difficult, so apparently enigmatic, and so passionately, religiously loved by his fans as Morrissey.

However, as Mark Simpson argues in his wickedly funny and deeply sacrilegious portrait, Morrissey isn’t quite so enigmatic as he might at first appear. To understand this most private and sexually ambivalent of stars a
Paperback
Published January 2001

To ask other readers questions about Saint Morrissey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint Morrissey

Tosh
Dec 15, 2008 Tosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The amazing thing about Morrissey is not only that he's a pop star and a great songwriter - but also carries a tradition with him. When you listen or buy a Morrissey album or singe, you are also going into his world of aesthetics and a particular history of pop Gay culture. In a way it's almost like Morrissey has his own museum.

Mark Simpson pretty much captures and understands the nature of Morrissey's music and world. He understands the tradition that is behind this artist - and is aware of th
Mariel
Feb 03, 2011 Mariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Johnny Marr
Recommended to Mariel by: my brother
My brother described this Morrissey book to me as "It's all about how Morrissey was in love with Johnny Marr." No, it really isn't about that (for once). Morrissey wants to know why no one ever says that Johnny Marr is in love with him. I'll do it right now. Johnny Marr was in love with Morrissey. (Not even a little bit?)
l find those rehashes about Morrissey to be both annoying and hilarious (such as the infinite articles titled "Big mouth strikes again", and yes "This Charming Man", too). The p
Kirsten T
The most alarming thing about Mark Simpson was his casual use of racial slurs. That’s something I didn’t expect to see in a book lauding someone for being an outsider’s outsider. Of course the joke here is that as a white man Morrissey is actually an insider’s outsider, no matter how queer or iconoclastic or depressed or working class he is or isn’t. (And, need I add, the joke isn’t funny anymore. There are many such italicized lyrical asides in this book, to make sure you get it.) I both loved ...more
Lola Wallace
if you love the music of Steven Patrick Morrissey and enjoy the purple, too-clever-by-half prose of late-20th-century pop music criticism, you will probably get a kick out of this book. Mark Simpson, known for his analysis of the "metrosexual" trend, goes light on facts, heavy on feelings, which is how any Smiths fan would have it. Simpson peppers his occasionally insightful ramblings with quotations from classic Moz interviews and the works of Moz's idols, especially the play/film A Taste of Ho ...more
Arjun
Aug 18, 2010 Arjun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, you have to be a fan. Though the book is a good backgrounder on northern England in the 70s and 80s, English pop culture, and pop music, this is nothing more than a love letter to Morrissey. But a well-written, very analytic, and sharp love letter. Mark Simpson issues his mea culpa right at the start: he thinks Morrissey is the greatest English pop star ever. Once he says this, everything in the book is filtered through this simple truth. And then it really is quite a book about a very cha ...more
Andrew
May 20, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, biog-autobiog
In some ways if this book had been a straight forward biography it would have become superfluous due to not only the myriad of books already written about the Smiths and Morrissey but due to the man himself putting pen to paper with his own autobiography recently...however this book really is as much explaining a fans love of Morrissey as about the ma itself.
It is peppered with lyrical references throughout though not in an all knowing way..often the nod to the Canon of work is wry and amusing..
Nikita
Oct 31, 2014 Nikita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I would give 5 stars to Morrissey and his quotes. Too bad the book was written by someone else.
Vicki
Jan 09, 2008 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Morrissey. This book answered none of my questions, though.
Kiof
Oct 18, 2012 Kiof rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Centers around the fame of Morrissey and why the people who are obsessed become obsessed with him, the author being one of those super-fans. It is almost a perfect study of Morrissey the cultural figure. But the problem I had with the book is that Moz-maina, or whatever the hell you're gonna call it, is one of the least interesting aspects of the Smiths to me. Sure Mozza is an original voice, a figure who seems like he always should have existed before he ever did, but I don't find the intricaci ...more
Vivian
Mar 18, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the history of pop music and culture alone, this book is worth reading. The scathing wit and critical analysis of Morrissey in regards to his times and influences as seen in his lyrics is impressive. I still think this book reads more like a gender studies thesis than a fandom biography, but perhaps as one outside of the charged rhetoric I'm missing a point. Needless, Simpson's use of quotes from various media sources provides an intriguing glimpse into the enigma that is Morrissey.

Before t
Darin
Aug 03, 2011 Darin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's another book on Morrissey! YAY! This was a fine read. It was engaging and entertaining if not a bit too precious and pretentious. This isn't your standard chronological biography, it has those elements but it's much more like a psychoanalytic review of his work and life. Which is often fascinating but since it's all conjecture...Like Moz, the author likes his words and wit a bit too much at times and could've used some stronger editing. Still and all, this book is written for hardcore Moz f ...more
Al Young
Oct 06, 2013 Al Young rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I picked up my first book about the Mozzer in years. I picked up Mark Simpson's "St. Morrissey." I really don't need to buy anything on the Moz. There's not much about him I don't know, and with the internet, there's not much that isn't out there, as far as interviews or whatever.

"St. Morrissey" is a rather unnecessary, amateur psychologist's view of what make Moz tick. It's not that it isn't readable, it just leaves you wondering how this made it into print, when it probably just best belongs o
Mary Ann Starr
I Could Read This 1000 Times

And it feels new every time. The author's style is a bit difficult, with long long sentences, but still if you can stick with it, it's an excellent, excellent book.
Richard
It was an okay biography on Morrissey - the lead singer of The Smiths. The previous book that I read, " A Light That Never Goes Out " was much better written and a little more detailed and thorough than this book. Obviously, the book " A Light Never ... " was more about The Smiths, but gave very detailed information about the members, their music, friendship, etc. and how it all imploded within 5 years time.
Knut Sigurd
Oct 25, 2013 Knut Sigurd rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Mange festlege intervjusnuttar, men aller mest fjas. Eg har skrive litt meir om dette og Alle dage er som søndag - en dansk biografi om Morrissey på bloggen min: http://www.lettvinsynsing.com/2013/10...
Jaime Redford
Oct 04, 2015 Jaime Redford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was a simultaneously dreamy and dreary ambassador for me as I trudged into the muddiness of first year University. I have always been a Smiths fan but this book brought the anomaly of Moz to a new level. I absolutely loved being dragged into the often sadistic and contemptuous, yet somehow relatable depths of a pathological brooder's psyche. Amazing.
Alvin
Jul 09, 2007 Alvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank Zappa famously said that writing about music is like dancing about architecture. True enough, but Simpson avoids this problem by focusing on the social signifigance and biographical aspects of the Moz. Better yet, Simpson can turn a phrase like nobody's business. Yes, he's a great writer. He is also encouraged to call me for a date... anytime, Mark!
Peter
Aug 01, 2009 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good one liners from various interviews with the Moz-ster, and some good analysis from Simpson. I was fine with all the overstatement and light-on-context, as it wasn't claiming to be more than a "portrait" or "psychobio". Reminded me a bit of books about Bob Dylan where the author can barely resist constantly borrowing phrases from his subject.
Ashley
May 01, 2012 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Morrissey is great. His music is great. The way this book was written - not so great. I just wasn't a fan of his writing style and how it seemed as though he absolutely worshipped him in an 'unhealthy obsession' sort of way. The book was okay, it couldn't really be considered a biography because it was more like a really long essay.
Maria
Apr 06, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
really well written and interesting book.

only thing that bothered me was Simpson's "before everything was better and nowadays everything is worse/Morrissey is the best and everyone else is shite"-attitude. yeah, I get it, he's a fanboy, but I would have enjoyed the book more if he'd toned down the praise just a bit.
Nancy
I'm not a particular fan of Morrissey, but I've been curious about him as a cultural phenomenon. This was a book less about the artist himself than about the author being a fan of Morrissey. I just didn't share his enthusiasm enough to get very excited about it.
Roy Deseo
Jul 15, 2012 Roy Deseo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morrissey's life and works were greatly discussed on this book. Story behind every song, men and women who touched his life, point of views up to his persistent political standpoint were amongst the bold topic. Morrissey is more than his music!
eidelyn
Jun 26, 2007 eidelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the smiths fans, morrissey fans
Shelves: music, wordy
i like the way simpson's words flow, from matter-of-fact to pompous to tongue-in-cheek. the smiths/moz lyrical references are a bit over-done, and some of his conclusions seem far-fetched. still a quick read and interesting (but not new) insight.
Gabe
Apr 14, 2009 Gabe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty dense and can take a while to get through if you're like me and you try to process every word when you read.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I learned a lot and it was cool to get this guy's perspective on Moz.
Serena Corl
I purchased this book a few years ago and recently reread it. It's a good book if you're a huge Moz fan. It's a book about being obsessed with Morrissey for those who may be obsessed with Morrissey. Makes sense.
Mackenzie
This book was very interesting and I learned a lot about Morrissey. The authors writing could be confusing at times though and sometimes he would go on to long about things and I would get bored.
Julia
Jun 29, 2011 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is completely ridiculous hagiography (with bonus armchair psychoanalysis!) but if you're a serious Moz fan...you'll likely read it cover-to-cover too.
RandomAnthony
Read the first couple chapters last night...started skimming...nothing exciting...just a lot of platitudes about Morrissey. If it doesn't improve I'm giving up.
Matty
Jan 29, 2009 Matty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the life of Morrissey. No real key insights that weren't already known, but, nonetheless, a must-read for the Moz fan.
Liz Cannon
Aug 01, 2011 Liz Cannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to feel better about life and to remind myself that I am not alone in abject-Morrissey-appreciation-and-overanalysis.
  • Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • Kafka's House
  • The Glassblower's Daughter
  • Manchester, England
English author and journalist Mark Simpson is credited/blamed for ‘fathering’ the metrosexual in 1994, predicting with terrifying accuracy, that the future belonged to the male desire to be desired.

He is the author of several critically-acclaimed books.

“SIMPSON WRITES WITH ENOUGH PANACHE TO MAKE MOST OF HIS PEERS TOSS THEIR LAPTOPS INTO THE WASTE DISPOSAL AND WEEP”
– Independent on Sunday

“THE GAY
More about Mark Simpson...

“Tattoos, after all, are a passionate, usually doomed assertion of mastery of your own destiny, or at least a defiant embrace of one that you cannot control.” 8 likes
“The artistic disposition is little more than an extreme form of sulking.” 2 likes