Start by marking “Mill Girl: A Victorian Girl's Diary, 1842-1843” as Want to Read:
Mill Girl: A Victorian Girl's Diary, 1842-1843

Mill Girl: A Victorian Girl's Diary, 1842-1843 (My Story: Girls)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In spring 1842, Eliza is shocked when she is sent to work in the Manchester cotton mills - the noisy, suffocating mills. The work is backbreaking and dangerous - and when she sees her friends' lives wrecked by poverty, sickness and unrest, Eliza realizes she must fight to escape the fate of a mill girl.
Published May 5th 2008 by Scholastic (first published June 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mill Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mill Girl

Megan Chard
Mill Girl by Sue Reid is the diary of thirteen year old Eliza, from the My Story range for Key Stage Two. Eliza lives in Manchester during Victorian times. She enjoys school and is described by her teacher as the 'best scholar', giving Eliza the ambition to one day become a teacher. Eliza's father works in the Cotton Mill, something she hopes she will never have to do. When her parents can no longer afford the school tuition fee, she has to leave school and complete house hold chores instead. On ...more
Ruth
Nice to learn a little history of Manchester's cotton mills, even if it is through a fictional diary of a young girl. In fact, this is how I usually prefer to learn history. I'm more likely to remember it now that I can associate it with a short story in my head.
Fiah
I really enjoyed reading this and liked how Eliza's expressed and told her feelings and days were. My most favourite characters in this book are Eliza's family, Jack's family and Mrs Legg.

And I've found the relationship/friendships between Eliza and Jack, also, Jack and William were really cute. It is sad, though, that William wasn't there and Jack is too far away.
Rachel Brand
When I was 12, I adored books written in diary format and anything to do with history. Thus, "Mill Girl" was one of my favourite books and I reread it dozens of times. Strangely, I never read any of the other books in the "My Story" series but this book is in my Keepers box under my bed.
Simone Reddington
I thought this book was very well-written and thought-provoking as it really brings to life the suffering that many Victorian children endured in the mills during the Industrial Revolution. As well as being a useful learning tool for people like myself with a casual interest in history, the character of Eliza is well-developed and her relationships with family, friends and colleagues are relatable. A brilliant way to learn about the past, like all books in the My Story series.
Jacinta Crealy
Written for upper primary, possibly lower secondary. Read it in a day. Chose it because it spoke of life in England during the time of the Chartists and the industrial revolution riots, an experience that sent one of my ancestors on a ship to Australia to avoid possible arrest. I really liked this book, so accessible for a younger generation, told through the eyes of a 13-year-old girl. I loved the historical accuracy and fine detail of how people dealt with poverty, poor working conditions and ...more
Josie
Re-read in February 2012: I'm trying to work out why I didn't really like this story, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's a combination of things: Eliza is a bit bratty, there aren't enough little details to make the story come alive, and the happy ending feels unrealistic. Also, I wanted to find out how William died! I thought it might have been in an accident at the mill, but then surely Eliza would have had a stronger reason for hating the place? She never mentions it, anyway, ...more
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly added it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Beatrice Townsend-medlock
this story is really sad because its about a 10 yr old ogril who works in a mill and she has to work their all her life to eurn money for her family and also she gets really sick quickly because it is very dirty in the mill and even somtimes she can go to hosptal and that is why she is keeping a diary
Emmeline
I didn't mind this book. There were some bit when it would get really exciting and I couldn't stop reading it but some bits when I just thought it was quite boring and couldn't be bothered to read it anymore. That's why my rating's in the middle. I enjoyed it but in some places it could've been better :)
Charlotte
I thought that this book was ok but not the best. I found it quite boring at parts and think that it could have been better. I am not sure if I would read this book again or recommend it.
Joanne
A really easy read, looks into the history of Manchester in the 1840's. Very informative but there are parts that which aren't gone into enough like how did her brother die?
Sarah Louise Leach
I read this for research for a workshop I am doing on Victorian mill children. It is a fair stab at social history for older children and was useful in places.
Eleanor
This book was really sad but interesting because my own ancestors worked in the Manchester Cotton Mills.
Fiona
Mmm not bad and then I realised it was a children's book - read it in a day so it must have been good.
Sally
Terrifying to know that this was the reality for so many!
Niamh
It was an awesome book
Ariadne
I actually really liked it
skye
Very good book.
Kelli-ann
Kelli-ann marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Brittany Kleinschmidt
Brittany Kleinschmidt marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • The Crystal Palace: The Diary of Lily Hicks, London, 1850-1851
  • Sophie's Secret War: A Second World War Girl's Diary, 1939-1940
  • The Trenches: Billy Stevens, The Western Front, 1914-1918
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • Battle of Britain: Harry Woods, England, 1939-1941
  • D-Day: Lieutenant Andy Pope, Normandy, 1944
  • The Scribes from Alexandria (Roman Mysteries, #15)
  • A different sort of real : the diary of Charlotte McKenzie, Melbourne 1918-1919

My Story: Girls (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Princess of Egypt: An Egyptian Girl's Diary, 1490 BC
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • Highway Girl: An English Girl's Diary, 1670
  • The '45 Rising: The Diary of Euphemia Grant, Scotland, 1745-1746
  • No Way Back
Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78 War Nurse: The Diary of Kitty Langley, 1939-1940 The Fall of the Blade: A Girl's French Revolution Diary 1792-1794 Langdown Manor Lady Jane Grey