Start by marking “Shimmering Images: A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir” as Want to Read:
Shimmering Images: A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir

Shimmering Images: A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Rich, funny, and moving personal narratives depend on a few key moments in time to anchor the story and give it impact.Shimmering Imagesteaches theaspiring memoirist how to locate key memories using Lisa's technique for finding, linking, and fleshing outthose vibrantrecollections of important moments and situations.

Shimmering Images will address:
*the difference between mem
Published August 5th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Shimmering Images, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shimmering Images

Bonnie
Oct 27, 2009 Bonnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bonnie by: Elizabeth Lyon
I'd consider this slim volume a "must have" for anyone interested in writing Memoir -- it might be just the book to inspire you to begin writing.

It has been said that it is also a "must have" for anyone who treasures Annie Lamott's, Bird by Bird (as I do), or Natalie Goldberg's, Writing Down the Bones.
loafingcactus
VERY PRACTICAL. Through working on my book I had developed the skills she discusses in the book, but for someone just dreaming of starting a memoir this would be a great book to read to get step 1, 2, 3, etc. of how to make it really happen.

Chapter 12, structure, is perhaps the weakest in that she really only hands you one possible structure and doesn't give you any skills to develop organic structures for your book, on the other hand, having that one structure does not over-complicate things. I
Jessica
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

Shimmering Images: A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir is a short little book full of useful advice and instruction. A “shimmering image” is “a memory that rises in your consciousness like a photograph pulsing with meaning.” Norton defines these as the bedrock of memoir and endeavors to help you mine them from your life.

The book is divided into three parts: (I) The Ideas Behind the Process; (II) The Process;
Paige
May 04, 2013 Paige rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring writers
I came across Lisa Dale Norton's memoir handbook at my local library. For some time now, I've had a story within me that I want to release. Ny reading this book, I've been given a few steps I can choose to use and repeat to get my creative juices flowing. What Norton does is simply give you advice on how to organize your thoughts and stay inspired through your writing process.

Don't go into this thinking you will finish a memoir by the time you finish it. I read it, followed some of her steps (n
Dnicebear
Ms Norton helps me to find my freedoms in writing memoir and to practice allowing the heart of memories to shimmer better than movies. And why wouldn't everyone want to attempt this storytelling? "Stories order chaos and make sense of our lives. In the process, the story has a magical way of answering old questions and transforming random events into meaning you can carry into the future with grace." Note the word "little" in the title, and, feel the power of Ms Norton's focus. Oh for such a wis ...more
Diane
Currently reading and doing the exercises in this book. Interesting approach to writing. Will probably have to buy this book as I have twice renewed it and haven't gotten very far. Not setting aside the time needed to do each step. Good book though.

Renewed this so many times I took it back to the library. Never got around to doing the exercises. Still thinking I'll buy it. Nice slim workbook on writing vivid memoirs, which is one style I like. And I have a book to produce one day.
April
Lisa Norton begins the book by telling you that she isn't going to waste your time with examples of great memoir - she is simply going to give you practical steps that will bring those "shimmering images" right out of you and onto the page. And she does just that. This book is a quick read - only slightly above 100 pages - which is refreshing. You can get through it quickly and take away a number of tools that you can use over and over again. Highly recommended.
Tracy
Simply one of my favorite “how-to” books on writing because it is exactly what it says it is, a handy little guide. Addresses both the art and craft of writing. Compels the writer to want to tell truth, but compassionately. Her exploration of how to get to the essential heart of a story by building on powerful images applies to writing in every genre.
Angie
Lisa Dale Norton offers a method to anyone wanting to write a memoir. I found her method interesting and am applying it to my own memoir in progress. I think that any writer of fiction could read this short concise work to learn how to reach their muse and let the pieces of a long work lead the writer.

I found this book via a blogpost by literary agent Janet Reid. A great source and inspiration.
Lindsey Lang
i'd really give it a 4.5. it was a great start for me, i'd recommend it to anyone thinking of writing a memoir, especially if you don't have much more than a vague idea. (the reason i didn't give it the full 5 stars is that there were chapters that i had already figured out by the time i found the book) other than that it was a tremendous help to me!
Kristin
If you are thinking about writing a memoir but you are not sure what to do first, this book is a great starting point that is full of helpful brainstorming and writing activities that will help you to get organized. However, I did not find chapters 16-20 as useful as the first 15, and there is no chapter about the art of recreating dialogue.
Gay Ingram
Feb 18, 2011 Gay Ingram rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to write about their life but is hesitant on how to go about doing that
Lisa Morton presents an easy-to-do program to help the hesitant writer find the buried stories just waiting to be written. I did just a quick read-through but intend to use her method to dig out those 'shimmering images' that are begging to be written about.
Stacy
This is a little gem of a book. The author shows you some great tools to pick and write your best personal stories! 'Stories order the chaos of our lives.' ~ Lisa Dale Norton
Darce
This book lives up to its title. It really is a "handy little guide" and I think would be useful for inspiring all kinds of writing (not just memoir).
Dani
The book has some good chapter-by-chapter exercises and would be great for a beginning lifewriting group. A bit too structured for my taste though.
Bonita Rose
found this at my local library today. So far, I am loving it.. so much great info for anyone thinking of writing down their own life stories!
Simone
Very elegant little book on writing Memoirs. It's full of useful information packed into a small package.
Sue
It's a sweet little book with a few helpful tricks, but overall, I find it short on content.
Juanita
Great little book on how to write better memories. Read it twice now and it is still good.
Tinea
blahblahblah whatever. Gimmicky book about how to write overwrought prose.
Charise
Awesome guide to writing memoir. Great exercises.
Stephanie
A short helpful guide to memoir writing.
Rachael Kostelec
helpful, quick read
Cindie
Cindie marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hawk Flies Above: Journey to the Heart of the Sandhills How to Recognize a Good Man When You Meet Him