Evelyn Finds Herself

Evelyn Finds Herself

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Evelyn and Elizabeth are inseparable best friends, academic leaders of the school, and hoping for places at Cambridge. However, when Madeleine arrives, she comes between them in a way that permanently threatens their friendship.
Published November 30th 2006 by Girls Gone By Publishers (first published 1929)

Ruby Rose Scarlett
Spectacularly good. This is a very in-depth description of what happens when two girls grow up together and then grow into themselves. It's a brilliant school story with appropriate school drama and goings-on and the characterization is beautiful. A really outstanding novel, which I expected, but also a very important novel that's got a lot to say about becoming who you are. I was a little nervous when I found out this spanned 4 years but the continuity is perfect and the characters superbly fle...more
I tend to enjoy GGBP's "Fun in the Fourth" series, but I was amazed at how much I loved this book! Instead of the usual school story, where you follow a girl or two over a term or, at most, a year, this covers Evelyn's last four years at school and her struggle to find out who she is, what's important to her, and how to deal with it when her identity starts to diverge from that of her best friend. Brilliant book - best school story I've ever read, and I've read a lot of them!
CLM
Widely considered the best of Elder's books, this is a subtle story about schoolgirl friendship and individuality.
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
emlucie
emlucie marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Pick Wick
Pick Wick marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
LH Johnson
LH Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Astrid
Astrid marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Sumandeshpande
Sumandeshpande marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Elizabeth Lund
Elizabeth Lund marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2012
Bnabbt
Bnabbt added it
Jan 13, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2010
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2009
Lisa Vegan
Lisa Vegan marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2008
Josephine Elder was the penname of Olive Gwendoline Potter, a British children's author who is primarily known for her girls school stories. Of the ten novels she published in this genre, Evelyn Finds Herself (1929), is usually considered the strongest. Elder was also a prolific short story writer, and her pieces were often included in girls annuals.

Elder was educated at Croydon High School and l...more
More about Josephine Elder...
Exile for Annis (Farm School, #1) Cherry Tree Perch (Farm School, #2) Strangers at the Farm School (Farm School, #3) Sister Anne Resigns The Scholarship Girl at Cambridge (The Scholarship Girl, #3)