Stonedogs

Stonedogs

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Deutz Medal winner 2002.
375 pages
Published (first published October 1st 2012)

Siobhan
The promotional material for this book does a shitty job selling it. I understand why, it's meant to be marketed most likely to 20 something guys, but I think it's a mistake (even though they're probably the target audience).

If you are a non-Kiwi, the slang comes fast and heavy and Google and Urban Dictionary are definitely going to be your friends when you read this book, just in order to get some of the more arcane slang (there is a LOT of bizarre slang). Still, go ahead and google EVERYTHING...more
Karen
Sometimes you pick up a book, start reading, and instantly start wondering what on earth is going on. Yet for some reason, you cannot put the darn thing down. That's exactly what happened for me with STONEDOGS. Mind you, if I'd have read the blurb that states that Craig Marriner is New Zealand's answer to Irvine Welsh and Quentin Tarantino, I probably could have recognised a hint about what I was in for.

STONEDOGS isn't a recent book - it won the Montana New Zealand Book Award Deutz Medal in 2002...more
Camille
This is a historical review as I recently had the book returned from a long lost loan. I loved this book so much when I read it probably 10 years ago and can't quite work out how it hasn't been made into a film (it would be very Once Were Warriors but from a different perspective). It tells the tale of a brilliant young pakeha male growing up in Rotorua who falls in with a bad lot. It's gritty and grim but feels very realistic. A bit like the brilliant TV series of Oscar Knightly called Harry wh...more
Kate
Dark, violent and fast paced, unfortunately a reasonably accurate account of the under side of New Zealand. This is one of those books you can't put down it becomes imperative you discover the outcome. The content is not always pleasant but works in the whole scheme of things.

It was highly acclaimed when it was published and I can see why.
Simon Gianoutsos
A little bizarre at times, but a great read none-the-less that was hard to put down. A very dark novel about gangs and drug culture in New Zealand; a similar setting to Once Were Warriors. It contained a lot of colloquialisms and slang that I think a non New Zealander may struggle to follow.
Kathleen Dixon
I had erroneous expectations of this book, so when the first 3 pages totally didn't meet my expectations, and when I could tell that I wasn't going to like it at all, I gave up.

We can't all like the same things. End of story.
Pip
Visceral testosterone filled stuff. A gritty tale of gang and drug life in NZ. The narrator has a laconic quasi intellectual voice. A group of best mates get into way to much trouble when they take on a local gang.
Daniel Proctor
Started well but was ultimately an amatuerish attempt at writing a novel, a Kiwi boys own fantasy.
Tama Wise
Just wasn't in the right mood for this one. Next time Craig.
Sara
Just couldn't get into this. Another time perhaps.
Fangface666
Gritty, savage, page-turner.
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Addison
Addison marked it as to-read
Karey
Karey marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Jake Bathman
Jake Bathman is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Brodie
Brodie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Claire Smith
Claire Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Sorel
Sorel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Zohra Trinder
Zohra Trinder marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013