Start by marking “Stonedogs” as Want to Read:

Stonedogs

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Deutz Medal winner 2002.
375 pages
Published (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stonedogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stonedogs

Siobhan
May 09, 2014 Siobhan rated it really liked it
The promotional material for this book does a shitty job selling it. I understand why, it's meant to be marketed most likely to 20 something guys, but I think it's a mistake (even though they're probably the target audience).

If you are a non-Kiwi, the slang comes fast and heavy and Google and Urban Dictionary are definitely going to be your friends when you read this book, just in order to get some of the more arcane slang (there is a LOT of bizarre slang). Still, go ahead and google EVERYTHING
Karen
Nov 30, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Sometimes you pick up a book, start reading, and instantly start wondering what on earth is going on. Yet for some reason, you cannot put the darn thing down. That's exactly what happened for me with STONEDOGS. Mind you, if I'd have read the blurb that states that Craig Marriner is New Zealand's answer to Irvine Welsh and Quentin Tarantino, I probably could have recognised a hint about what I was in for.

STONEDOGS isn't a recent book - it won the Montana New Zealand Book Award Deutz Medal in 2002
Chris Pemberton
May 24, 2015 Chris Pemberton rated it it was amazing
for a 1st novel this is inspirational
Camille
Oct 17, 2013 Camille rated it it was amazing
This is a historical review as I recently had the book returned from a long lost loan. I loved this book so much when I read it probably 10 years ago and can't quite work out how it hasn't been made into a film (it would be very Once Were Warriors but from a different perspective). It tells the tale of a brilliant young pakeha male growing up in Rotorua who falls in with a bad lot. It's gritty and grim but feels very realistic. A bit like the brilliant TV series of Oscar Knightly called Harry wh ...more
Kate
Jan 12, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-library
Dark, violent and fast paced, unfortunately a reasonably accurate account of the under side of New Zealand. This is one of those books you can't put down it becomes imperative you discover the outcome. The content is not always pleasant but works in the whole scheme of things.

It was highly acclaimed when it was published and I can see why.
Simon Gianoutsos
Mar 01, 2011 Simon Gianoutsos rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A little bizarre at times, but a great read none-the-less that was hard to put down. A very dark novel about gangs and drug culture in New Zealand; a similar setting to Once Were Warriors. It contained a lot of colloquialisms and slang that I think a non New Zealander may struggle to follow.
Kathleen Dixon
Mar 20, 2010 Kathleen Dixon rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish, nz, novel
I had erroneous expectations of this book, so when the first 3 pages totally didn't meet my expectations, and when I could tell that I wasn't going to like it at all, I gave up.

We can't all like the same things. End of story.
Pip
Aug 09, 2013 Pip rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Visceral testosterone filled stuff. A gritty tale of gang and drug life in NZ. The narrator has a laconic quasi intellectual voice. A group of best mates get into way to much trouble when they take on a local gang.
Daniel Proctor
Started well but was ultimately an amatuerish attempt at writing a novel, a Kiwi boys own fantasy.
Tama Wise
Just wasn't in the right mood for this one. Next time Craig.
Sara
Apr 09, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Just couldn't get into this. Another time perhaps.
Fangface666
Oct 23, 2008 Fangface666 rated it really liked it
Gritty, savage, page-turner.
Selina Metternick-Jones
Selina Metternick-Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Carly
Carly rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Sarah Meys
Sarah Meys marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Maree Callaway
Maree Callaway rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Amanda Booth
Amanda Booth marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Nik Leigh
Nik Leigh rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Noel
Noel is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Marcus Simons
Marcus Simons rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015