Start by marking “Superman: Our Worlds at War Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Superman: Our Worlds at War Omnibus

Superman: Our Worlds at War Omnibus (Our Worlds at War #1-2)

As the ultimate destructive force heads directly toward Earth, humanity's greatest defender, Superman, stands prepared to prevent the total annihilation of the planet. Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and a host of other heroes from the DC Universe join the Man of Steel in this last desperate battle for survival. Will the heroes' combined might be enough to stop an evil ...more
Published June 10th 2006 by DC Comics (first published June 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Kathleen
Jan 20, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
I cannot be alone in reading Superman comics for the villains. It takes an act of incredible writing to make Superman himself remotely interesting--set him in the great depression, have him be raised by the government in secret, be Secret Identity--because too much power coupled with boyscout instincts just isn't a lot to work with. But a visit from Mr. Mxyzptlk is always funny, Brainiac can be interesting, and Lex is never anything less.

Lex Luthor is excellent in this story arc. The masterful
Tony Laplume
Jul 28, 2016 Tony Laplume rated it really liked it
The aftermath of the Our Worlds at War arc, from Adventures of Superman #596, became one of the most famous comic books of the modern era. That issue arrived in comic book stores on September 12, 2001, and featured Superman's bleak outlook on the devastation of those events. It was oddly perfect timing, since of course the day before was 9/11.

That issue is not in this collection, which is itself an oddly perfect story, the superhero equivalent to the traditional Hollywood disaster flick. This wa
Josh Lafollette
May 23, 2016 Josh Lafollette rated it really liked it
Do you ever watch a superhero movie where one hero singlehandedly saves the universe, and you wonder what all the other heroes were doing? Well, even though this is primarily a Superman story, it pretty much shows how every major DC character is involved in the fight. On one hand, this makes it a little convoluted at times, but on the other hand, it's one of the most expansive stories ever told in comics. Fair warning: if you go into this as a newcomer to comic books, you will be totally lost.

B
Bevans
Jan 27, 2012 Bevans rated it really liked it
It was a bit rough in parts, and the fact that the story was told over several concurrent comic series meant there was some jumping around in the timeline, but overall this is one of the most well-written of the huge, epic, major events.

This is pretty much every character in the DC world - both good and evil - teaming up to stop Imperiex, a cosmic force that's trying to destroy the entire universe. Superman and the Justice League have to work alongside some of their greatest foes - Lex Luthor, D
Alan
Aug 02, 2011 Alan rated it liked it
In continuing my read through Dc Comics' event series (re-read actually and there are at least two that I will be skipping) my complaint about this collection is that it is just too long (over 500 pages). The collection might have been better served just being the core title without many of the crossover titles. Just think how big a Crisis on Infinite Earths would be with all of its crossovers.

On the plus side much of what came out of this story had an effect on titles after the event's conclus
Victor Orozco
Dec 30, 2014 Victor Orozco rated it it was amazing
Awesome story. Reads like a collection of war films but all the same war. A little choppy at times but very good. Being a history buff I adored the references to great historical speeches of Lincoln, FDR, JFK and Douglas MacArthur.

I know that this was mostly a Superman story and allowed a multitude of great characters but I really wish this involved more of Batman. Still I loved how well this incorporated Wonder Woman.

There are some minor imperfections but as a whole I can't say how much I lov
Craig Williams
Apr 22, 2012 Craig Williams rated it it was ok
This volume is every bit as epic as one would imagine with a title like "Our Worlds at War", but perhaps a more fitting title would have been "Our Worlds at Bore". Yeah... that one was a bit of a stretch, but apt nevertheless. I've never been much of a Superman fan, but I do like Jeph Loeb and Ed Mcguinness enough that I figured I'd give this a shot. It was a little laborious to get through, and quite frankly, epic, Universe shattering events like this don't mean much when one knows that all of ...more
Bryson Kopf
An interesting crossover that tries, and somewhat succeeds, in altering the status quo not just for Supes, for the DCU as a whole. Like any crossover, this phonebook of a collection suffers from some incoherence from part to part (especially when shifting from the Superman titles, to the outside ones like Wonder Woman and Young Justice), and many of the big climax fights where poorly paced and vague. What is fun, is we get a big throwdown all of the best Superman heavies: Darkseid, Braniac, Luth ...more
Rahisha
Jul 05, 2014 Rahisha rated it liked it
Too many characters and incoherent storytelling. Too much is thrown at the reader without a proper explanation.which means that were left not knowing much about what's going on, or who the characters are or what their relationships are, which makes it hard to understand what's at stake, or care about the outcome.
Aditya Sanyal
Feb 25, 2015 Aditya Sanyal rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Lex is interesting in this, lots of manipulation on display. A few threads remain unanswered which I guess is left for another arc to pick up. I had some problems with continuity.

Overall, Ok, but nothing spectacular.
Mark
Jan 27, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really wanted to like this more. It starts off well enough with Superman discovering Pluto turned into War World, kicking off what could be a fun epic Superman story featuring a lot of classic characters, and swell action scenes where stuff blows up good, stuff blows up real good. But it turns into a typical crossover event that gets weighed down by too many characters, and incoherent storytelling. Like much of modern superhero comics, too much is thrown at the reader without a proper explana ...more
Brandt
Sep 11, 2015 Brandt rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-books
I liked this book better when it was called Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Matej
May 15, 2016 Matej rated it it was ok
Our Worlds at War Omnibus collects around 20 issues, mostly tie-ins, that are supposed to tell one big coherent story, unfortunately this is not the case here.
The plot is stretched out, all over the place and some parts are retold a few times while others are not even mentioned.
The art changes from issue to issue, but for the most part it looks good.
Overall, this feels like a huge event, but it should and could have been handled better.
Andrew Uys
Mar 02, 2013 Andrew Uys rated it liked it
At nearly 500 pages, this major (until the New 52 reboot happened) storyline weaves between all the Superman titles (and a few more), with the return on Imperiex & the destruction of the entire universe. With a massive supporting cast that features Wonder Woman, the JLA, Titans, Young Justice, Steel, and classic villains like Lex Luthor, Darkseid, & Brainiac, this Omnibus edition makes for a great entry in any Super-fan's library.
Nurul
Sep 01, 2012 Nurul rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
This was utterly horrendous. The fact that I do not like Superman probably affects my perception of it but I can't even bring myself to finish reading the issues with Batman or Robin (my two favourite DC superheroes) in them. Do not waste your time. Wikipedia and DC Wikia are your friends.
Walt Walkowski
Feb 10, 2012 Walt Walkowski rated it it was ok
Very confusing. Had no idea what was going on half the time, and the sentimentality was over the top. Thought the speeches included by American leaders during real times of war only confused the entire story line further...
Matthew Bartlett
Jul 28, 2012 Matthew Bartlett rated it it was ok
Seemed like a great idea, but looking back on it, I feel like they dropped the ball and wasted Superman. Why is it so hard to write a good Superman story? We haven't had one in such a long time!
Ryan Scicluna
Oct 07, 2012 Ryan Scicluna rated it liked it
Shelves: superman
Nice concept but a bit too long. I especially liked the Brainiac-13's plan, however it was a bit foreseen if one takes into consideration previous issues of Superman.
Frank Taranto
Nov 20, 2011 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, comics
Freat art and an interesting if sometimes confusing story. Suoerman acting like a man and not just a suprhero was well done.
John Yelverton
Apr 28, 2012 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
Were it not for the sheer scope of this book, it would have been painful to read with the sub-par artwork.
Peter
Nov 16, 2008 Peter rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one!
Pure crap. Confusing, terribly written, and incomplete - the plot does NOT wrap up at the end. Avoid.
Blake Petit
Mar 06, 2011 Blake Petit rated it it was amazing
I'd forgotten how good this storyline was...
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Scott Mills
Scott Mills rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Randy Skaggs
Randy Skaggs rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2016
Guibbs
Guibbs rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Reinier
Reinier rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Leonardo
Leonardo rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
  • Superman: Escape from Bizarro World
  • Superman/Doomsday: The Aftermath
  • Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Death and the Maidens
  • Superman & Batman: Generations 2, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds)
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 5: The Enemies Among Us
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 5: Between Dark and Dawn
  • JLA, Vol. 5: Justice for All
  • Superman: War of the Supermen
  • The Power of Shazam!
  • Superman: Infinite Crisis
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major
More about Jeph Loeb...

Our Worlds at War (3 books)
  • Superman: Our Worlds at War, Vol. 1