Start by marking “The Young Carthaginian: A Story of the Times of Hannibal” as Want to Read:
The Young Carthaginian: A Story of the Times of Hannibal
Preview

The Young Carthaginian: A Story of the Times of Hannibal

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Set in ancient times, during the Punic wars, this story follows the adventures of young Malchus, an officer in Hannibal's army. Henty describes the army's incredible journey through southern Europe and across the Alps in fascinating detail, providing both a lesson in ancient history and an absorbing story. The balance of power in Europe swayed between Rome and Carthage and ...more
Published February 15th 1999 by Preston-Speed Publications (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Carthaginian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Carthaginian

Féarghal Mac giobúin
I first read the Young Carthaginian as a child.

Back then the Romans were popularly seen as the good guys, the civilising force of order against the barbarian hordes. To read this through the eyes of a young Carthaginian officer, a cousin to the dreaded Hannibal was groundbreaking for me.

Malchus is a sympathetic protagonist and we follow him through campaigns in Spain, southern France, across the Alps and into Italy. Hannibal's greatest triumphs such as the River Trebia, Lake Trasimene and of cou
Tim
We borrowed this book (on CD) from some friends and listened to it in the van whilst traveling hither and yon. To my shame, it's the first Henty I've read. I have heard good things about Henty's work for a number of years, but this was my first experience.

I wish I could have given the book 3 1/2 stars, but I bumped it up to 4... I'm a nice guy.

It was a good story, packed with historical interests. The protagonist, Malchus, was quite lovable in a PG sort of way. He exemplifies many admirable cha
Vic Heaney
A good old-fashioned adventure story. It follows Malchus, a young noble of Carthaginia, as he accompanies Hannibal's army as it invades Italy. Malchus takes part in all the astonishing battle victories of Hannibal and has a few adventures of his own.

A good way of learning some history (although Hannibal is already a hero of mine) at the same time as having a good read.

Of course the adventures, especially the implausibly easy escapes, stretch many points. Henty will not object to me giving him o
Daniel
One of my favorite Henty books, I've always been fascinated by Hannibal's trek over the Alps and war on Rome.
dragonnesswarrior
Abigail Rasmussen
I read this book when I was 12 years old. Henty books are rather on the "boyish book" side but many girls I know (including myself) enjoy them as well.

You can find many G. A. Henty books on LibriVox: https://catalog.librivox.org/search.p...

A friend of ours, Jim Hodges, has recorded many G. A. Henty books and we own them all and my brothers have listened to everyone of them. http://jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/
Lynn
This book was intended for boys and a young adult book from the late 19th century. I read it because I love reading about Hannibal but it was far too old fashioned for me. I read classic books but this is more classic popular fiction of the time. I found the language too bombastic and overly dramatic. It was a good example of writing for the time but for me very boring! ...more
Rebecca
Feb 13, 2008 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: homeschoolers
This excellent read chronicles the adventures of a young carthagenian as he marches with Hannibal on the way to attack Rome during the second Punic war. The descriptions are rich in detail and lend a feeling of being on the battlefield. Henty always does a fine job of pulling the reader into the story.
Natasha
Full of adventures, battles, and honor, this book is about a brave and astute young noble in Hannibal's army. Having listened to 'The Great Courses' excellent lecture series about Rome last year, it was quite interesting to get the story of the 2nd Punic War from the Carthaginian perspective.
Dylan Martin
Henty obviously wants to root for the Carthaginians against the Romans because they lost, but he discovered that they were pretty horrible, so this book is more complex than most because the good vs. evil line was harder for him to draw than usual.
Michelle
So loooooong...but the boys and I both liked it. Accurate historical fiction, lots of great vocabulary, muted violence, even enjoyable for grown-ups. Excited to find this author and will definitely be reading more to the boys!
Alyssa
Of course, G. A. Henty delivers a great historical novel filled with characters of integrity, glorious battles and daring adventures. Only Henty can package history into such a fascinating tale.
Angelyn
I love all of Henty's books. They were written for teenage boys, but I like them as much as my son. He was a good historian so his books are fairly accurate. This is the story of Hannibal. Amazing.
John
I still remember this book reading it as a young boy. Henty brought out historical events through the eyes of young boys and made them come to life. About Hanibal and his fight with Rome.
Rkeddins
Not sure why, but this was mas least favorite Henty book. It could be my lack of interest in this particular piece of history, but that hasn't kept me from enjoying his other books.
I love G.A. Henty books. love he inputs what he thinks and what is considered facts. Historical Fiction
Tessa
Jun 08, 2009 Tessa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys
Recommended to Tessa by: Jameson
"...at least we should be free, and of all blessings none is to compare with that."
Jeb
this book is about hannibal.
Matt Jones
Learned about a great general
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
John
John added it
Apr 13, 2015
Deb Alexander
Deb Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • The Dark Lord's Demise (The Archives of Anthropos, #6)
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • The Coral Island
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy #3)
  • The Bandit of Ashley Downs: George Muller
  • The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...
The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce Beric the Briton For the Temple Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest

“What, did you think," she asked, laughing as he struggled up the bank, "that I, a Gaulish maiden, could not swim?"
"I did not think anything about it," Malchus said; "I saw you pushed in and followed without thinking at all."
Although they imperfectly understood each other's words the meaning was clear; the girl put her hand on his shoulder and looked frankly up in his face.
"I thank you," she said, "just the same as if you had saved my life. You meant to do so, and it was very good of you, a great chief of this army, to hazard your life for a Gaulish maiden. Clotilde will never forget.”
10 likes