Start by marking “Barnyard Dance” as Want to Read:
Barnyard Dance

Barnyard Dance

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  13,116 ratings  ·  308 reviews
Everybody sing along—because it's time to do-si-do in the barnyard with a high-spirited animal crew! From Boynton on Board, the bestselling series of board books, here is BARNYARD DANCE, with Sandra Boynton's twirling pigs, fiddle-playing cows, and other unforgettable animals. Extra-big, extra-fat, and extra-fun, BARNYARD DANCE features lively rhyming text and a die-cut co ...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published October 1st 1993 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Barnyard Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barnyard Dance

Jen
Having read this book again...I'm stunned again by its poignancy. The cows...why do they dance? It keeps me up at night--which is probably not the point of the book.

However, as in most books, I am faced with a glaring lack of citations. I have no way of knowing if there is actually a dance in the barnyard. The author uses NO footnotes, endnotes, or even a bibliography. Her "proof" is some crude drawings, that can not have been taken from life. We're supposed to just accept her assertions that th
Lstirl
STOMP YOUR FEET! CLAP YOUR HANDS! EVERYBODY READY FOR A BARNYARD DANCE! And dance is just what every parent and child will want to do after exploring this book.

This book is complete in its ability to delight both parents and adults. The fun, comical illustrations are brightly colored and easy to recognize and are simply delightful. The book's language is heavy with engaging rhythm and catchy rhyme. There is just enough text on each page to keep very young children from getting bored while still
Kim
If you are not reading this with a southern accent and a country western cadence, you need to hang up your kiddy lit! Great little book for kids - I had so much fun reading it to my kids when they were little. Heard someone on a plane recently reading it to her young son, and I wanted to grab it and give it the umph it deserves. But I resisted - all part of growing up I guess...
Megan
Anyone familiar with Boynton's books will recognize the animals here doing various dance steps. The great thing about Boynton's books are that the animals are easily recognizable from book to book for the kids, but she can make subtle changes in their expressions which make adults smile as well. (Check out the look on the sheep's face as he has to "twirl with the pig".) Once you are fairly familiar with this book (which won't take long because your little one will want to hear it over and over a ...more
June
Sep 16, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: caregivers of young children
Recommended to June by: Elissa & Polly
Looks like a lot of fun for a toddler story time. Wish I had seen this for my last Lap Time program. 9/25/12

Worked quite well at Lap Time. I used it again in Story Time- since I had a younger crowd and had the children\toddlers stand up and act it out, which was a grand success. 9/18/13

Used again for both Lap Time and Story Time and then played the song from the Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs CD.
Robert Beveridge
Sandra Boynton, Barnyard Dance! (Workman Publishing, 1993)

More fun, musically-inclined Boynton, though there's a piece or two of this where the rhythm is such that you might not get it on the first try unless you're familiar with the two-step—might want to give it a quick read-over yourself before launching into it with the kiddies. But like everything Boynton puts out, it's fun, engaging, stands up to repeated readings, and you'll enjoy it as much as the kids do. *** ½
Adrian
3/7/2011:
This book was your very first favorite book! Your dad and I decided that you probably liked it because of the rhythm and you could follow and bounce along to it. For several months, this was required daily reading.

As you got older, you started pointing at the animals.

By the time this one fell out of the daily required reading regimen, the top part of the cover was torn and folded. However, you'd be hardpressed to find a book that was better-loved for teething.
Bryce
Sandra Boynton is a master at getting people physically involved in reading her books. (Literally) - these are just great fun to act out as you read them to your kids. Laughter is pretty much guaranteed. I think this is the best of the Boynton books, and I have them all.
midnightfaerie
All my kids enjoyed this one, even though it was easy reading. The pictures and rhyming make this one fun to listen to as well as read. And all my children enjoyed making the animal sounds included in the rhymes. Overall a fun read.
Lisa Hartmann
Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boyton is so much fun! I love her books! This story is what is says barnyard animals dancing. The animals in this story are just having a great time dancing. The illustrations are so much fun and so silly! The colors are nice and the faces on the animals are priceless! I enjoy reading this to my three to five year old students. After reading the story we get up and read it again only this time we do what the animals are doing. The kids love to get up and dance with the a ...more
Kathryn
Fun! My little one seems to really enjoy this one and I like reading aloud in a bit of a sing-song way like I'm calling a barn dance ;-)
Jennifer Morgan
My children love this book. They get up and follow along with the dancing in the story. It is really wonderful.
Sheba
Mar 29, 2011 Sheba rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: indio
indio loves this book and can't get enough of emil's country singing. makes you want to get up and square dance!
Elizabeth Rose
This book would only be better if it was a barnyard dance with baby farm animals.
Polly
So much fun for storytimes with the under 3 crowd!
Zayna
Boynton's done it again with yet another adorable book! My 2 year-old niece absolutely loves this book (and has done so since she was one). Each time we read it, it elicits the same reaction from her--an immediate dance session that leaves her dizzy and delighted. While she still has no idea what a promenade is, she's certainly learned her animals and the different movements they make. Her favorite is twirling with the pigs, while mine is standing with a donkey. The artwork is also super cute! T ...more
Dolly
Nov 12, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
We have loved our songbooks by Sandra Boynton - both Philadelphia Chickens and Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs have gotten some serious bedtime play in our house and I can sing most of the songs by heart. So when I saw this board book, I knew what to expect, since the song is included on Rhinoceros Tap: 15 Seriously Silly Songs. It's a fun and colorful way to share this humorous song together, and introduce younger children to the wonders of Boynton's characters.
Kirsten Mellin
I specifically look for Boynton books in the library now. Her books are fun, creative, and very entertaining!

While reading this book I do more of a country folk music singing rather than reading. I even wished at one point I could play the violin like the cow with the awesome shades, so I could jam out while the girls dance around.

Thank you again Sandra Boynton for amazing short kids stories that my kids and I can enjoy!!!!
James
My son is really into barnyard animals, which worries me. However, I support him in his decisions and Barnyard Dance is something we can both embrace. This book is funny, man. And it's easy to start rapping, singing, shouting, and dancing when we read it. There's this awesome cow wearing sunglasses and playing a violin, too. It's a cool book.
Aj
This, along with "I Love You Through and Though" was the first book that was read to you regularly. This was one of the first books you acquired after you were born (though you already had an extensive library well before you got here). This, with it's corresponding bathtub-friendly counterpart, "Barnyard Bath," were regulars in the first year of your life.
Abbie
The book is easy to memorize and my 3 month old likes to look at the pictures and watch me turn the pages of the board book. The wording has a nice rhythm you can play around with and lots of opportunity for exaggerated movements to catch your little one's attention.
Emily Sandoval
I have read this book, if not a hundred times then at least several dozen, to my now 80-day-old son. It's hands-down our favorite read-aloud. Not so long he'll get bored, and with a great rhythm that's fun to read and really catches his attention.
Lauren
Oh my god, the last time I read this was in second or third grade. I remember very clearly because I used it during sessions some of us students had with the preschoolers, where we were supposed to serve as older buddies to the preschoolers. And I had my group of preschoolers dance along as the book told them to. By the end of the session, my group had grown from about 3 or 4 kids to almost the entire preschool class, everyone dancing along as I read the book (though I did have to teach them [wi ...more
Louise Lintvelt
This is a really cute book for the younger crowd. It is classic Boynton with great rhythm and meter. If your target reader is between the ages of 1 and 3, you can never ever go wrong with dancing barnyard animals!
Argott
Boynton is a brilliant, engaging, national-treasure-for-curmudgeonly-parents-like-me author.

Unfortunately, I took square dancing in college for a gym credit. I wish I hadn't been a teetotaler in college. I could have used a drink to steady my nerves before class. The indignity, the horror, all those beautiful young women trying to avoid eye contact with me lest I attempt to join their square. Quote from Partner: "How can you not know how to do-si-do yet?!? We've been here for 38 weeks you clumsy
Aprils
I love the swinging rhythm of the text. I like the fact that there is some advanced vocabulary in this book, like "promenade" and "skitter." This book is a lot of fun to read.
Jessica
Chloe and I really enjoyed this book mostly because of the rhyming. The only thing I didn't like was how small the illustrations are, especially when this book is for babies.
Joanna
Bought this for my baby cousin. He loves it and we'll read it to him ten times in a row... literally. We usually since it out as intended like a square dance.
Sarah Sammis
My children, especially my daughter, like Sandra Boynton's books. Our most recent addition is Barnyard Dance! which follows a group of animals as they square dance.

I like the book for its use of rhythm. The text is written as if it is a series of square dance calls. It brings back memories of a number of square dances I went to as a child (either through school or through my grandmother's volunteering).

Harriet likes the silly drawings of the various animals dancing. She likes to stop on each pag
Deb Zdenek
I love, love, love Sandra Boynton! Her silly rhymes & the cute illustrations make me happy. This book in particular is one of my favorites.
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • Pouch!
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Big Red Barn
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going-To-Bed Book But Not the Hippopotamus Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books) Pajama Time!