Start by marking “Lala's Story: A Memoir of the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Lala's Story: A Memoir of the Holocaust

Lala's Story: A Memoir of the Holocaust

Winner of 1998 Carl Sandburg Award

Born into a middle-class Jewish family in 1932, Lala Weintraub grew up in Lvov, Poland. When the Nazis came, Lala--who had blond hair and blue eyes--survived by convincing them she was a Christian. This book tells her remarkable story.

Fiercely determined and greatly aided by her Aryan looks, she managed to convince everyone-German soldie
Published January 14th 1998 by Northwestern University Press (first published January 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lala's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lala's Story

Audrey K.
Aug 10, 2012 Audrey K. rated it it was amazing
One of my relatives is relates by marriage to Lala, making it all the more engaging for me to read. After reading Lala's account of her survival during World War II in Europe, it made me so very thankful that I live in the U.S.A. I wanted to thank all of our service men and women for all they do to protect our freedoms. Lala's story is uplifting, inspiring, shocking, and riveting.
Jul 18, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Well written story of a woman who "hid in plain sight", disguised as a non-Jew during the Holocaust. I also was interested in the perspective from her husband & her story of the aftermath of the war
Aug 06, 2012 Laseghi2 rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenally touching read! The author is the grandmother of a former student so it have me a little extra interest in the story. Very sad yet well written!
Kelly rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Cindy rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2009
Sharon rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2012
Penny'S Page
Penny'S Page rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Pecora13 rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Debra Loveless
Debra Loveless rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Judy rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Jay rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Julie rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Meaghan rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2008
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2012