Start by marking “A Summer Spell (Magic Kitten, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Summer Spell (Magic Kitten, #1)

A Summer Spell (Magic Kitten #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Lisa isn’t excited to spend the summer in the country with her aunt, but just when she thought her summer was going to be lonely and boring, she finds a tiny orange kitten in her aunt’s barn. Suddenly her summer looks much brighter!
Published August 14th 2008 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Summer Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Summer Spell

Varjak Paw by S.F. SaidThe Case of Jack the Nipper by H.L.  StephensFire and Ice by Erin HunterThe Sun Trail by Erin HunterThe Case of the Wayward Fae ~ A Chronicle of Mister Marmee by H.L.  Stephens
Cat Fiction & Fantasy (And ONLY Cats)
85th out of 85 books — 19 voters
Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberRatha's Creature by Clare BellStarfire by Jennifer Lynn AlvarezJulie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead GeorgeThe Black Stallion by Walter Farley
Animal Book Series
147th out of 162 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

This review consists of two parts: 1. my review (Mom's), and 2. my daughter's review of this book.

DAUGHTER SAYS: Once upon a time there was a kitten..."meow"; except it wasn't really a kitten, it was a magic lion named Prince Flame. There was an evil lion named Ebony who was his uncle who wanted to kill him because he wanted to be the ruler of the kingdom. So, Flame goes into the human world to hide from his uncle and he meets a girl named Lisa. Lisa is spending the summer at her Aunt Rose's hou
My 5 year old daughter and me read this together and she so fell in love! This is her new favorite book and she can't wait to read the next one! It's magical, funny, and sincere all at the same time!
From an adult perspective, this book was terrible. It was painful getting through all 127 pages. Painful. About a magic kitten who befriends a girl. But nothing exciting happened and the magic part didn't really come into play. This series could be appealing to some kids, I guess. But I will definitely not be stocking my bookshelves with any more of these. So glad it's over.
Simply a cute read. I got this for my little daughter and ended up reading it myself as I'm particularly fond of cats and of course kittens. She loves it too. So I think any young reader who love cats, a bit of magic and some adventure would like this one as well.
This book is so great I read it over and over that's how good the book is I love the book magic kitten
Mar 22, 2013 Maya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children aged 9
I love animals so this was an amazing story!
Cassadra Fauble
Jan 05, 2014 Cassadra Fauble rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Abigail my best friend
Recommended to Cassadra by: Dakota
Such a cute story.
Mar 29, 2015 WonderWoman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like fantasy and kittens.
Recommended to WonderWoman by: My younger sister.
My sister (she is 7 but at the time was 6) read it and thought that it was the best thing in the world and my parents and I had been trying to get her to read for months. I thought, "If this made her want to read then I had better read it so be can get more books that she will read. For a while she only read fantasy because that was the only genre that she liked. Now she is reading non-fiction as well but only about kittens.
Obviously I was much, much younger when I read these books...

If you've got a younger brother or sister, or a child, I'd highly recommend these books for children up to about age 11. The storylines were imaginative and fun, while the words weren't too difficult to process. Kids with love the adventures of this little kitten (who's actually a lion prince hiding from his uncle).
This is the 1st book club book I am reading with my 7 year old. I wished there was more vocabulary words other than "poached", but at least there was 1. I really didn't want to read this book, but I couldn't say no to my child when she picked it out. I'm glad she did. I look forward to talking about it with her.
Joanne Palin
I think my students will devour this series, but I was not a fan. I liked the storyline of the lion prince escaping evil forces, but when he started using the magic to wash dishes and turn Lisa into a cat, the author lost my interest.
A really popular kids series, especially with those little girls who love cats. It wasn't quite as bad as I imagined, but not that great either. I don't quite see the "magic" of the series.
Nov 17, 2015 Kay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Another one of my niece's books that she wanted to share with me. Good book. Like the magic and touch of mystery in the book. Know I will read more as my niece has more on this series.
Grades 2-4. I definitely liked this better than the first Magic Puppy book. I didn't understand why Sue Bentley didn't explain better where things were happening until I read the author bio at the end and discovered she lives in England. Penguin Group could help their young readers out by adding that in to the story when it says things like "Long Brackby may not compare to America." Overall it was a pretty cute story, and I'm sure young girls will want to continue to follow the story of this mag ...more
Kristine Pratt
Cute and full of adventure, this story is perfect (purrfect?) for the cat lover who is just graduating over to chapter books. Nothing is too complicated to read, and there's just enough action to keep the pages turning and interest high. I loved the kitten Flame, and the change in Lisa as she learns about life in the country. My only disappointment is that the kitten moves on to someone else. John and the gypsies make for interesting side characters that I wish I could see more of. Overall this ...more
The bit about how Flame can be a lion like cat one minute and then a kitten the next is a bit odd, but Natalie enjoyed the relationship between Flame and the girl. She cried at the end when he left!
5 cute stars

I loved the book when I was a kid
This is a very sweet story. Cute short read.
It was a really good book, but has a sad ending.
D.M. Dutcher
Lisa is a young girl who has to stay with a relative when her parents go overseas. At the same time Flame is a magical white lion who must flee his home and hide in the real world as a small orange kitten. The two meet, and become friends.

It's written well for the age group, and come on, it stars a magic kitten. It's more about Lisa finding friends and enjoying her life with her artistic aunt though, as Flame is there to be fuzzy and solve problems with his magic. But this will be catnip for a p
Yesenia Lopez
i like it
Cate Brooks
If there was ever a book you could tell everything by its cover, it's Magic Kitten. What a funny little book. I actually really enjoyed the sparkly, over-the-top cheesiness of it. It's such an easy sell for 2nd grade girls and it is nice to have a solid go-to for the reader who is past Rainbow Magic Fairies (which I still can't bring myself to reading) but not ready for longer fantasy books.
Selina Valentine
like the story and i love kittens makes me wish i had a magic kitten
and i also like the author
It is a cute start to a series. My six-year-old really enjoys it. The writing is simple, easy to understand and keeps a good pace for young kids. We read through the book pretty quickly because my daughter wanted me to keep reading. It's a pretty good read for younger kids with age appropriate content (thank you!).
I liked this book. It was a quick read for me, but for a younger reader...
The story was cute. I didn't realize it was the first in a series - I'll have to look for the others to find out what happens to the prince and what lessons his protectors learn while he is with them.
I actually read it a long time ago but i only recently got on goodreads but i think it was a pretty good book but thinking about it again they could have had a better ending
  • Cosmo and the Magic Sneeze
  • Penny The Pony Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Pet Keeper Fairies, #7)
  • The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn, #1)
  • Voyage of the Jaffa Wind (The Secrets of Droon, #14)
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)

Magic Kitten (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Classroom Chaos (Magic Kitten, #2)
  • Star Dreams (Magic Kitten, #3)
  • Double Trouble (Magic Kitten, #4)
  • Moonlight Mischief (Magic Kitten, #5)
  • A Circus Wish (Magic Kitten, #6)
  • Sparkling Steps (Magic Kitten, #7)
  • A Glittering Gallop (Magic Kitten, #8)
  • Seaside Mystery (Magic Kitten, #9)
  • Firelight Friends (Magic Kitten, #10)
  • A Shimmering Splash (Magic Kitten, #11)