A Summer Spell (Magic Kitten, #1)

A Summer Spell (Magic Kitten #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Lisa isn’t excited to spend the summer in the country with her aunt, but just when she thought her summer was going to be lonely and boring, she finds a tiny orange kitten in her aunt’s barn. Suddenly her summer looks much brighter!
Published August 14th 2008 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 2008)

Renee
This review consists of two parts: 1. my review (Mom's), and 2. my daughter's review of this book.

DAUGHTER SAYS: Once upon a time there was a kitten..."meow"; except it wasn't really a kitten, it was a magic lion named Prince Flame. There was an evil lion named Ebony who was his uncle who wanted to kill him because he wanted to be the ruler of the kingdom. So, Flame goes into the human world to hide from his uncle and he meets a girl named Lisa. Lisa is spending the summer at her Aunt Rose's hou...more
Jaime
My 5 year old daughter and me read this together and she so fell in love! This is her new favorite book and she can't wait to read the next one! It's magical, funny, and sincere all at the same time!
Sita
Simply a cute read. I got this for my little daughter and ended up reading it myself as I'm particularly fond of cats and of course kittens. She loves it too. So I think any young reader who love cats, a bit of magic and some adventure would like this one as well.
Katie
This book is so great I read it over and over that's how good the book is I love the book magic kitten
Maya
Mar 22, 2013 Maya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children aged 9
I love animals so this was an amazing story!
Cassadra Fauble
Jan 05, 2014 Cassadra Fauble rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Abigail my best friend
Recommended to Cassadra by: Dakota
Meredith
Such a cute story.
Liz
From an adult perspective, this book was terrible. It was painful getting through all 127 pages. Painful. About a magic kitten who befriends a girl. But nothing exciting happened and the magic part didn't really come into play. This series could be appealing to some kids, I guess. But I will definitely not be stocking my bookshelves with any more of these. So glad it's over.
Mary
Grades 2-4. I definitely liked this better than the first Magic Puppy book. I didn't understand why Sue Bentley didn't explain better where things were happening until I read the author bio at the end and discovered she lives in England. Penguin Group could help their young readers out by adding that in to the story when it says things like "Long Brackby may not compare to America." Overall it was a pretty cute story, and I'm sure young girls will want to continue to follow the story of this mag...more
jacky
The bit about how Flame can be a lion like cat one minute and then a kitten the next is a bit odd, but Natalie enjoyed the relationship between Flame and the girl. She cried at the end when he left!
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
Lisa is a young girl who has to stay with a relative when her parents go overseas. At the same time Flame is a magical white lion who must flee his home and hide in the real world as a small orange kitten. The two meet, and become friends.

It's written well for the age group, and come on, it stars a magic kitten. It's more about Lisa finding friends and enjoying her life with her artistic aunt though, as Flame is there to be fuzzy and solve problems with his magic. But this will be catnip for a p...more
Cate Brooks
If there was ever a book you could tell everything by its cover, it's Magic Kitten. What a funny little book. I actually really enjoyed the sparkly, over-the-top cheesiness of it. It's such an easy sell for 2nd grade girls and it is nice to have a solid go-to for the reader who is past Rainbow Magic Fairies (which I still can't bring myself to reading) but not ready for longer fantasy books.
Selina Valentine
like the story and i love kittens makes me wish i had a magic kitten
and i also like the author
Angela
It is a cute start to a series. My six-year-old really enjoys it. The writing is simple, easy to understand and keeps a good pace for young kids. We read through the book pretty quickly because my daughter wanted me to keep reading. It's a pretty good read for younger kids with age appropriate content (thank you!).
Xyra
I liked this book. It was a quick read for me, but for a younger reader...
The story was cute. I didn't realize it was the first in a series - I'll have to look for the others to find out what happens to the prince and what lessons his protectors learn while he is with them.
#1honfan
I actually read it a long time ago but i only recently got on goodreads but i think it was a pretty good book but thinking about it again they could have had a better ending
Tamara
If I were still 8 years old, I would have devoured this whole series. (I blame this obsession on my parents being allergic to cats. I would have pet the cover and everything.)
Jane
Jan 17, 2013 Jane added it
I remember I read it last time then now I found that I still own it! A good book for children; especially the ones who loves Kitten!
Bridget
I loved it because it really hooked me into reading it and I can't believe how fast i'm reading them all
Maya
C'était une belle histoire sur un chaton et une fille, comme dans tous les livres de cette série.
Danielle
Sep 18, 2011 Danielle marked it as to-read
OMG! This kitten is way too cute! And it's Magic!!!!
Alsie
I loved these book when I was in Yr 3 to Yr 5.
Ryan
Nov 15, 2012 Ryan added it
i want to read the book so much.
Angela Barakat
I read this with my daughter.
  • Penny The Pony Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Pet Keeper Fairies, #7)
  • The Moon Scroll (The Secrets Of Droon, #15)
  • The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn, #1)
Classroom Chaos Star Dreams (Magic Kitten, 3) A New Beginning (Magic Puppy, 1) Muddy Paws (Magic Puppy, 2) Double Trouble