Start by marking “Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories

Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Death at the Excelsior and Others is a posthumously published compilation of short stories by Wodehouse, including:

- Death at the Excelsior
- Misunderstood
- The Best Sauce
- Jeeves and the Chump Cyril
- Jeeves in the Springtime
- Concealed Art
- The Test Case
Published March 1st 2004 by Wildside Press (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories

Hunter Murphy
4 to 4-1/2 on this one. Two stories with Jeeves, brilliant stories, and then Wodehouse introduces a character I've never read named Reggie Pepper, who's as bone-headed and hilarious as any Wodehouse created.

I read this as part of a brilliant Goodreads group called "Reading Wodehouse" for the January 2015 read. I was drawn to the collection because of the title story, which was one of Wodehouse's only murder mystery stories. It was good; it didn't have the characteristic antics and quips, but it
Megan
Project Gutenberg curated this solid collection of early Wodehouse stories. I'd read the two Jeeves and Wooster stories before, but the others were new to me, and I found them consistently bright and enjoyable, if not very meaty. But who reads Wodehouse for something to chew on? And I think I've gained an appreciation for Reggie Pepper now instead of spending the length of his stories wishing he were Bertie instead.
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Wodehouse always nice, even in minor stories.
Judy
Since I love P.G. Wodehouse and I love the short story genre, this book was a natural. In this collection of short stories there are two Reggie Pepper stories--and I have to admit that I have never read a Reggie Pepper story before and I quite enjoyed him, and two Bertie Wooster and Jeeves stories. I admit that I love Wooster and Jeeves, primarily, no doubt, because I desperately need a Jeeves in my life. The other stories were also enjoyed with that P.G. Wodehouse flair for language and for hum ...more
Austensibly
More PJ. Python fans will find their roots in Wodehouse, no question about it. This is a small collection of short stories. I brazenly give five stars to pretty much anything I have read by Wodehouse -- except for his cricket stories. I will never quite understand them, because the game is utterly lost on me.
Richard
My first Wodehouse and I loved it. I was in the mood for something less weighty than Lord Jim one humid, exhausting night in the middle of the July 2013 English heatwave, I alighted on Wodehouse's complete works as my next iBooks buy (for a ridiculously low price), having seen and enjoyed Jeeves and Wooster on TV and occasionally heard Stephen Fry trumpeting Wodehouse's writing in the media. A glance at my recent purchase Who Else Writes Like? showed that he and Fry share similar styles and that ...more
John
Early Wodehouse including a stab at a Conan Doyle (not a success) and stories involving a Bertie Wooster prototype called Reggie Pepper - interesting but limited by having no Jeeves equivalent. Later recycling is evident
Elizabeth
This was just the ticket for me to listen to as I took down the Christmas decorations this morning :-)
Jeff Short
A collection of short stories, including a couple of Jeeves stories and a couple of Reggie Pepper stories. Jeeves and Wooster always entertain. I have never warmed to Reggie. He's probably my least favorite recurring character. As always, it's a fun read.
Phillip
A great collection of early Wodehouse short stories. All of them are satisfying. Includes a murder, a misunderstanding, two courtships (one successful and one not), and three Jeeves and Wooster stories in gestation. I recommend it.
J. Boo
First story in this collection is an acceptable, but not exceptional, short mystery -- worth mentioning since this isn't a genre in which Wodehouse did much work. The rest are short stories in a familiar Wodehousian vein (best of which are "The Best Sauce", a pleasant light romance, and "Jeeves in the Springtime"). Perhaps not his best work, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Rauf
One of the better collection from PGW...This one got 2 Wooster & Jeeves tales and 2 of Reggie Pepper's. I'm beginning to like Reggie. He's like an Edwardian Larry David, never stops turning a trifling matter into an imbroglio mostly due to his own lack of 'elegance'.

'Death at the Excelsior' story may not be a great murder mystery but it still has a nice twist in the end.
Ailish
This is a collection of Wodehouse's short stories put together by Project Gutenburg. Some of them, including two about Bertie Wooster and Jeeves, have been published in other collections, however Death at the Excelsior was the first Wodehouse story in the 'detective' genre that I have read. It was interesting to see him trying his hand at something else.
Nick
This collection is a real oddity in the Wodehousean universe. It's a collection of dark tales -- actual murder and mayhem -- from the pen of Our Comic Genius. It's the same expert writing, but curiously gentle: the form of the macabre without really getting nasty. Evil lite, but interesting because it is the work of a comic genius.
Jeronimo
Without loosing his humourus style, Woodehouse brings us a mystery tale. Indeed a surprise, and ingeniously cheerful story, much more if we compare it to some other so-called mystery authors.
As for the rest of the stories, I enjoyed most those of Jeeves and Bertie Wooster.
Dinesh Jayaraman
Hadn't read Wodehouse since I was a child. Enjoyed it much more this time than the last. Great characters in Jeeves, Wooster and Peppers. And Wodehouse's British sense of wit and humour shining through in all the stories.
Lorraine
This book is completely uneven. The title novella is terrible (it appears Wodehouse could not write mysteries), but there are a couple of good Jeeves stories in it. Still, skip it and read thou Jeeves elsewhere.
Urmilesh dixit
A short and sweet collection of equally sweet and short stories. It was the first time I came across the character Reggie Pepper, and he was fun.

Nice and breezy read.
Jeff Crosby
Interesting smallish cross sample of Wodehouse, including two Jeeves stories. The title story is clever and amusing. I particularly liked the Reggie Pepper stories.
John
Wodehouse stories are all fun easy reads. The Jeeves stories in here are excellent. Some of the others aren't too enjoyable. But any Wodehouse is worth a read.
Marts  (Thinker)
A rather short read, yet an interesting and enjoyable classic murder mystery by Wodehouse, where a rather unlikely character solves the case.....
Rachel
Quick novella that I snagged through The Classic Tales podcast. Definitely outside the realm of the Jeeves stuff, but fun nonetheless.
Lynda
Great characters in these short stories.
Steven
This was just sort of okay. I felt it was a little ho-hum.
Tasha
Not a terribly mysterious mystery, but enjoyable.
Jess
Fun, funny, quick, British.
RMK
RMK added it
May 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Secret of the Night
  • Second Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow
  • Nonsense Novels
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • Poems: Three Series, Complete
  • The Bat
  • The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems [Illustrated]
  • Goblin Tales
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • Itaca per sempre
  • Telzey Amberdon
  • A Poet to His Beloved: The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • The Sacred Stone (The Medieval Murderers, #6)
  • High-Status Characters: How The Upright Citizens Brigade Stormed A City, Started A Scene, And Changed Comedy Forever
  • L'uomo medievale
  • The Complete Works of Charles Dickens (with commentary, plot summaries, and biography on Dickens)
  • The Oakdale Affair (Mucker, #3)
  • Problems of Knowledge and Freedom: The Russell Lectures
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)