Start by marking “¿Mamá?: (Spanish language edition of Mommy?)” as Want to Read:
¿Mamá?: (Spanish language edition of Mommy?)

¿Mamá?: (Spanish language edition of Mommy?)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  633 ratings  ·  55 reviews

¡Todos están aquí! Los monstruos más famosos del mundo descubren que un chico muy atrevido se ha colado en su casa. En las páginas más divertidas y espectaculares jamás creadas, este chiquillo les demuestra a los monstruos quién es quién.
Novelty Book, 12 pages
Published September 1st 2006 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about ¿Mamá?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ¿Mamá?

Kelsey Hoban
Mommy? is a wonderful picture book that has many different and unique elements to it that make it valuable and good for young children. This book is a pop up book with great illustration and repeats one word several times throughout it. This book is about a toddler who wanders through a haunted house but instead of being scared, he plays tricks on the monsters. And in the end he finds out that he is Frankenstein’s bride’s child! This book would be good for the Halloween season in a classroom, he ...more
Madison Godfrey
This book is a pop up book with great illustration and repeats one word several times throughout it. This book is about a toddler who wanders through a haunted house but instead of being scared, he plays tricks on the monsters. And in the end he finds out that he is Frankenstein’s bride’s child! This book would be good for the Halloween season in a classroom, he isn’t scared of the monsters and they are not mean to him so it would be appropriate. It is a great example of another style of a pictu ...more
Monster
A fantastic pop-up book, Mommy? shows a little boy in pajamas crawling through a haunted mansion, running into classic monsters including Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman, and the Mummy while searching for his mother. Each monster tries to look ferocious to the little boy as the child makes the single worded inquiry "Mommy?", only to have the boy move on completely fearlessly, leaving the monster baffled. The art is absolutely fantastic and the pop-ups are fun and innovative. It is ...more
Catherine
Cassie
When Maurice Sendak, Arthur Yorinks, and Matthew Reinhart collaborate, what do you get?! One of the most uniquely humorous and slightly off picture books you may ever find. In this macabre rendition of “Are you my mommy?”, a young boy, reminiscent of Sendak’s boy in “Where the Wild Things Are”, searches room after room desperately calling out “Mommy”, only to be greeted by various monsters and ghouls. The illustrations are distinctively Sendak’s while the paper engineering can be non- other than ...more
Samantha
Although this busy pop-up picturebook only contains two words throughout, the art and movement of the pictures paint a funny and original story. The human baby protagonist encounters every monster of a child's imagination, from Frankenstein to mummies and vampires, as he searches for his mother; however Sendak has transformed these monsters into funny, sweet characters through their tender motherly interactions with the child. Having also recently read his most well-know work, "Where the Wild Th ...more
Kaethe
brilliant engineering, fun monsters

***

10 30 2006

Makes a great Halloween gift.

***

11/02/2006

Beloved by fierce five and six-year-olds
Lindsay Rogers
The only words in this book are "Mommy?" and at the very end "Baby!" But despite the lack of text this book tells a fun story of a young monster baby who goes around a would-be scary castle looking for his mommy and causing trouble for all of the monsters he encounters (Frankenstein, Dracula, mummies, etc...) It appears as those the child is the scariest monster, something that is sure to tickle children who read it. The engineering of the book is incredible - I am amazed. Even the eyes of a mum ...more
Stephanie
Pop-up books, especially elaborate ones such as this, are hard to keep in libraries. The paper artistry is amazing (the genre keeps growing; it reminded me of Tomie da Paola's recent Strega Nona pop-up) but the hide-and-go-seek storyline didn't do much for me. I'm not sure of the intended audience because the pictures might be scary for tots, but the two-word text and the young pajama-clad protagonist suggests it's geared to preschoolers. I wouldn't personally use this in a storytime; it seems m ...more
Jon
This is an awesome pop-up book. The craftsmanship that goes into a pop-up book just blows my mind. Maurice Sendak is just a cool guy and gives us a cool little story almost exclusively through visuals. There are only two words in the whole thing. It's playing off the story Are You My Mother?, taking that idea and getting playful with popular horror icons. It's funny and says something about how to approach things we may find scary. Oh, and no, I don't speak Spanish, but as I said, there are on ...more
Zatika
5-star for the brilliant paper engineering!
Chelsea Brunski
This is a pop-up book where a little boy is looking for his mommy. He encounters all these monsters, but they are no match for this little boy. I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations for this book are amazing. This wouldn't be a book I would choose for children that are wanting a book to read. It only has the word mommy on every page. I also wouldn't recommend this book for younger children because the pictures come so far off the page. I think little children would want to pull on them.
I think this nearly-wordless pop-up book is very well-constructed (but so, so fragile!) and pretty cute. The baby in the story is not afraid crawling around among monsters and mummies, and in the end, we see why. I could see children spending a long time investigating the busy scenery that surrounds each monster, and of course they will love the interactive experience of the construction. A great book for Halloween or for children who like to make up their own stories.
Maurice Sendak really knows how to capture the imagination in
among young and old readers, alike. I liked that this was a pop-up book even though that does make it very fragile. This is probably the sort of book to keep on the high shelf and bring down to read. I loved the detail, especially in the expressions of the baby. He appears totally unfazed and amused by the scary monsters around him. In fact he has quite a mischievous streak!
Ian Overway
Author Study Title 1)
This children's pop up book is about a baby who is searching for his mother in a most unusual place; a haunted house? Each page the the baby crawls into a different room to find a different monster; Frankenstein, Werewolf, Count Dracula and more. The boy crawls until he finds his Mommy at the end.
The pop up are wildly detailed! I noticed new details each time I read it.
Mary
This book would be better for upper elementary grades. This story is about a boy who is looking for his "Mommy" in a haunted house. He ends up coming upon a mummy. This is a great pop-up book and it offers a basis for a good lesson on homophones. The students could then list as many homophones that they can think of and explain their lists to the class. Themes in this book are persistence and family.
Anne-Marie
OK, this is kind of a kid's book, but my little sister had it on her shelf and it was hilarious! The only word in the book is "mommy." This little boy is searching at a monster party for his mother, and on each page, he finds another gross monster (surprisingly, he's not scared). Finally, he finds his mommy :) (a creepy witch). This book was cool because it had a lot of complicated pop-ups.
Heather
Sendak is one of those authors whom you expect certain things from. While this book is no exception, I found it to not be what I imagined. A beautiful pop-up book that is very intricate ... I recommend caution when opening and closing each page. Overall, it is a nice addition to a children's library; however, it does not hold my kid's interest for long. Mainly because they can't touch it.
Rundle Family
Maddie: I like it so much. I get really scared of Dracula! I like when you open the other page and he's like ahhhhh-geez, I have to go to bed now! I like when he pulls him, the guy and makes him twist around and around and around. I like this: when he pulled down his undies! And I like when he said Mommy? And she said, "B-b-b-b-baby!"

Sonia: I get really scared of Dracula!
Amy Carr
One of my all time favorite Halloween books. This is an exquisite "pop-up" book that is breathtaking every time we look at it. Itis a standard part of our Halloween decorations...it sits on a high shelf and is a "read with a grown up" book...although it gets lots and lots of readings and love! So much fun!
Michael
The storyline and words are incredibly simple, which probably makes the target age for this book very, very young. The pop-up art and illustrations are highly impressive. The short length is very deceptive because there is an awful lot to look at on each page. It's just a lot of fun.
Vivian
Since there was a copy of this ingenious pop-up book on hand, I featured it in our "Monster-riffic" story time.

There's just one word of text per page: "Mommy?"

I ask the crowd, "is she behind the wall?" "door", etc, depending on the page.

Creepy fun a'la'pop-up!
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: NA

NOT AVAILABLE

This book only contains two different words- but the pop-up magic with Maurice Sendak's illustrations is unbelievable! Will the baby find his mommy as he traipses throughout the haunted house or will the monsters scare him off first?
Emmy
Mommy? is an intricate, fun pop-up book. It is so fun to read with a well-fed and rested kid because the paper pop-ups generate deep interest and fun conversation. On the other hand, a tired, hungry child might rip and poke the whole, beautiful thing apart.
Charlene McCormack
The paper engineering in this book is amazing. I read it on the bus and people were asking me questions about it and where they could get copies. I imagine children ripping it to little shreds but it was cool and a fun engaging story without many words.
Erica
Jen
If you like Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are" or Matthew Reinhart's amazing paper engineering, you'll enjoy this combined effort. It's magic for adults and children! You'll love the mummy and the sweet ending.
August
This is a really cool and intricate popup book. The Frankenstein page is especially cool. As with all popups, babies will be fascinated and the book will be destroyed in minutes unless they can be restrained...
Miriam
This book only uses two words, but it's a great read. My favorite pop-up in it is a mummy that gets unravelled. All of the pop-ups in this book are superb and durable and they fold well when the pages turn.
Dolly
Jul 12, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with kids
Shelves: childrens, 2008, monsters
Odd and a little creepy, but that's Maurice Sendak stories for you.

This book is not designed for little kids - it's an architectural masterpiece for a pop-up book, but easily destroyed!
  • The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration