Start by marking “Les Morts de la Saint-Jean (Wallander #7)” as Want to Read:
Les Morts de la Saint-Jean (Wallander #7)

Les Morts de la Saint-Jean (Kurt Wallander #7)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  10,307 ratings  ·  496 reviews
22juin1996, nuit de la Saint-Jean. Trois étudiants se sont donné rendez-vous avec perruques et habits d'époque pour un pique-nique champêtre d'un autre siècle. Mais la fête tourne court. Un tueur abat les trois convives. Quelques semaines plus tard, persuadés que leurs rejetons font le tour d'Europe, les parents ne s'inquiètent pas de leur absence. En recevant une carte de ...more
Published April 19th 2001 by Seuil (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Les Morts de la Saint-Jean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Morts de la Saint-Jean

Brad
There's something to be said for knowing the answer to a mystery while you're reading a mystery. I watched the first season of Wallander, of which One Step Behind was the last episode, before ever cracking a Wallander book, yet it didn't hurt my experience reading the book. Henning Mankell did that quite well on his own (but more on that later).

When the book opened, and Wallander's colleague, Svedberg, was found murdered in his flat, I was thrilled with knowing who the killer was and how the kil
Lars Guthrie
When I read the works of one author, and more emphatically when I read a series by one author, I feel that I almost go further than just the reciprocal relationship between text and reader outlined by Louise Rosenblatt in her transactional theory of literature. With Mankell (and also recently with the twelve volume 'Dance to the Music of Time' by Anthony Powell), it's as if I am in a dialogue with the author. I know that's impossible; the books have already been written. But my reaction to the f ...more
Writerlibrarian
The tension and the depth of the plot from each book become more and more interesting. In this we find Wallander looking for the killer of a fellow detective who was looking for three missing students. Simple yet terribly complicated and dark. Wallander's private life is the back bones of the series. We see him struggling with health problems, his emotional ups and downs. The plot keeps you reading but Wallander's personal turmoils makes you turn the pages faster.
Bibliophile
One Step Behind was my second Henning Mankell novel about Swedish policeman Kurt Wallander, and like Sidetracked, the first Wallander novel I read, I wanted to like it more than I did. One Step Behind concerns the investigation into the murder of a policeman, one of Wallander’s colleagues, who was himself involved in a secret investigation of a crime that no one else believed had been committed. How Wallander manages to catch the criminal despite constantly being “one step behind” forms the myst ...more
Donald Gallinger
Henning Mankel has proved himself to be a wonderful crime novelist. His books create a wonderful sense of atmosphere along with razor sharp plotting. The great pleasure in reading Mankell is the social commentary on Sweden's changing society. His fiction is at least as much about evolving mores in Swedish culture as it is about the classic "who done its."
Bill Krieger
Wow. This is a must read for all Wallander-philes. The plot is very good. Even better though, Wallander is a mess. He has health problems, his father died in the last book, he doesn't have a girlfriend, his ex-wife is getting remarried, and his confidence is completely shot. It's classic, wonderful Wallander. Ups and downs and dog tired through a difficult case, it's just a lot of fun to follow along.

One of my favorite scenes is when Wallander learns that one of his coworkers considers Wallander
A movie was made based on this book.

From IMDb:
Shortly after police discovers the murder of three friends, police inspector Wallander finds his friend and colleague Svedberg dead. At first believing that Svedberg killed himself, Wallander soon discovers links between Svedberg, the three friends and a fourth person, a young woman at a mental institution.
Shannon
In this edition, Wallander is ill but can't/won't stop to take care of himself. This installment brings out some secrets about one of Wallander's co-workers and a serial killer with little to no reason for his actions is caught...eventually. The recurring thought that I had while reading this was that, while this was written in the 90s, the social issues reflected in Sweden then seem to be coming to pass here in the States. A man killing serially for no other reason than he didn't want to see 'h ...more
Reinhold
Außergewöhnlich

Mankell ist mit diesem Buch ein ganz großer Wurf gelungen. Einerseits steht Kurt Wallander, der irgendwie liebenswerte und gleichzeitig unerträgliche aber immer 100% einsatzbereite Polizist. Fast ist man versucht zu sagen, wie üblich steckt Wallander in seiner Midlife Crisis. Und wie üblich steht er einem Verbrechen gegenüber, das eigentlich über Wallanders Grenzen hinausgeht.

Wer Mankells Wallanderreihe kennt, weiß dass dieses Strickmuster zwar immer wiederkehrt, dass die Bücher d
Bob
Kurt Wallander - He works tirelessly, eats badly and drinks the nights away in a lonely, neglected flat. Still, he tackles some pretty incredible cases --

Here are the titles in the series (with a few extras) -

Faceless Killers
Dogs Of Riga
White Lioness
The Man Who Smiled
Sidetracked
The Fifth Woman
One Step Behind
Firewall
Return Of The Dancing Master (a Stefan Lindman mystery)
Before The Frost (actually a “Linda Wallander” mystery)

An old man has been tortured and beaten to death, his wife lies barely
Susan
A couple of years have passed since the events in Book #6, which means it's time for another heinous crime in Ystad and for Wallander to once again bemoan the horrific state of Sweden. It's a good mystery, with all kinds of twists ands turns (although I, and probably most mystery readers, figured out quickly what was up with the picture of Louise way before Kurt did). The darkness of the murders this time contrasted sharply with the beautiful summer weather--a theme that echoes throughout the bo ...more
Quang Khuê
Cảnh sát trưởng hay rên rỉ về cuộc đời và sự nghiệp. :D
Deborah Moulton
Kurt Wallender finally turns a corner in this book. It feels like he has worked through the anger and bewilderment of the societal changes in Sweden and come out on the other side: more accepting of the changes and turning his attention to the more practical aspects of tackling what is before him now. He looks at some changes, notably women integrating into the police force in detective and managing roles, and sees all that has been gained, not what has been lost.

It is a better time in his life
Marsha
This turned out to be one of my favorite Kurt Wallander books. It had an intricate plot, lots of murder, lots of talk of how violent Sweden is becoming(compared to the US, it's laughable), angst on the part of Wallander and murder - oh, did I mention that?
I like it when Wallander travels all over Sweden to look for clues. Trouble usually follows him, like when he went to the island to find a witness and she got murdered while he was upstairs asleep. Poor Wallander, he just couldn't seem to catch
Carol
An excellent Kurt Wallander mystery with deep underlying themes questioning the fall of democracy in Sweden due in part to the brutal and senseless crimes. The Ystad police force seems unable to cope with the growing crime rate nor do they have the staff or advance technology to quickly track down the killers. Swedish society is changing but not in a good way. Wallander once again doggedly pursues a killer who carefully selects victims. But how does he pick his victims and what are their connect ...more
Mj
Henning Mankell is a excellent writer so much so that this is the seventh book in the Kurt Wallander series that I’ve read. His series are a wonderful blend of plot and character. The detective Kurt Wallander is a character who I’ve really come to know and look forward reading about in every new book - to find out how he is doing and what current case he is working on.

Wallander is an altruistic and flawed character – a detective committed to his work, considered by his peers to be the best of t
Marieke
I was thinking about this book last night for some reason -- it's been a little while since I finished it. It struck me that the plot relies on a lot of strange details. I don't read a lot of murder mysteries, so maybe this is common.

Of all the characters, Inspector Kurt Wallander is perhaps the most 'normal'. He's overweight, lonely, and intelligent but sometimes unable to connect with others. All the other characters have sordid secrets. The murdered policeman, the circle of unusual teenagers
Marissa Morrison
Of course the reader knew what was odd about the picture the moment that detail popped up, but otherwise this has a tricky plot. The usual suspense is increased by Wallander's new health problems. There are several exciting scenes in which danger is very close. The reader wonders whether Wallander will collapse while chasing down the bad guy.

Why does Wallander never think that a bad guy will want to _________________________? Why doesn't he get himself a ______________________?
Lori
April's book club selection.

While I thought the plot was fairly interesting, I had a difficult time liking Wallander, the protagonist. I realize that he was in the midst of a huge murder investigation, but I found myself wanting him to take better care of himself, ask better questions, take fewer unnecessary risks, etc. I know he's supposed to be flawed, but I wanted him to be flawed and likeable, not flawed and irritating. Perhaps if I had read previous books in the series and not jumped in at
Susan
Swedish detective Kurt Wallander has developed diabetes as he pursues a long, complex case. Six weeks after three college students are shot during a Midsummer's Eve party, Wallander's colleague Svedberg is also found murdered. As more killings follow, with the exhausted, understaffed detectives too late each time to prevent the next crime, Wallender cannot take the time to do anything about his deteriorating health. The tone of the book is dark and reflects a crumbling Swedish society and widesp ...more
Christophe
Deuxième contact avec le polar suédois pour moi, après avoir été très déçu par la série Millenium (beaucoup de mal à finir le deuxième, le troisième m'est tombé des mains) je me suis risqué de nouveau après avoir découvert les islandais (Arnaldur Indridason).
J'avoue aimer de plus en plus les écrivains nordiques. Il y a chez eux de véritables pépites. Contrairement à la production américaine, (et si on excepte Larson) on ne sent pas le besoin de tirer à la ligne pour faire du volume, mais plutôt
Diane
It's such a treat to read a new (to me) book by an author I like and have it live up to my anticipation of it. Mankell's One Step Behind was a perfect nighttime read over the course of the week. Three role-playing young people shot on Midsummer's Eve as they picnicked in a nature preserve, but not found for a month - bodies carefully wrapped and hidden, then carefully arranged in their death poses.

Inspector Kurt Wallander is at his dogged best, worrying the leads and his intuition, side-steppin
Huy
chậm rãi, tỉ mỉ và rất thật.
Pranjal Sahu
Finally One Step Ahead....

Bought this books from Pragati Maidan, New Delhi Book Fair. Didn't have much expectations from it but I must say my first attempt at reading a crime novel didn't disappoint me.

Very short sentences. I felt the characters are not very well described, which is probably because I started with the 7th novel of the series. Very well structured. Every chapter ends with a question mark and keeps reader wanting for more. There are certain portions of novel where you can actuall
Czarny Pies
Jun 18, 2015 Czarny Pies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Czarny by: I like to read books set in countries with large moose populations.
Shelves: scandinavian-lit
If you like crime novels add two stars to my rating. Because crime novels are by definition works of formula writing, the highest rating that I will give to to one is three stars.

This book shows Henning Mankell at is best. Mankell is a master of describing the struggles of every day life for middle class individuals living in social democracies. He describes the relations of his hero Kurt Wallander with his family and co-workers with great skill.

The problem for some readers will be that in givi
CëRïSë
Feb 10, 2014 CëRïSë rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CëRïSë by: Rachel
I don't always read murder mysteries, but when I do, they're... Swedish?

I recently discovered this book on my bookshelves, and even though I was uncertain of its provenance, it was, unlike its waiting neighbors, fiction, so it won. I had an inkling that Ellen had sent it to me, a hypothesis she confirmed, adding the additional information that she had received it from Leah, who she thought had received it from Rachel. (Now I have to find someone to pass it along to so the chain remains unbroken!
Lobstergirl
Apr 06, 2011 Lobstergirl rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Max Baucus
I continue to be impressed with Wallander's work ethic. The man is a machine, even in his overweight, diabetic, exhausted, sleep-deprived state. Baiba Leipa is over; she won't move to Ystad. (Can you blame her? Why would she give up that good university job? What is she going to do in Sweden, be a florist?) As is typical with Mankell, the killer's motives make little sense (to the reader). Homosexuality, cross-dressing, and Wallander's colleague Svedberg figure.
bookczuk
Henning Mankell has created a fascinating character in a really compelling series. This particular book filled in a number of blanks in the Wallander legacy. Mankell, in an interview I heard recently, said that when he writes, it's with the knowledge there is extreme violence in this world. Humanity, too, but violence takes the upper hand these days. It may be true, though I hope humanity wins out. Either way, Mankell brings both to his novels, including this one.
Zdeněk Svoboda
Další skvělá. Po Bílé lvici (zatím) nejlepší ze série.
Jack Tilghman
I really enjoy Mankell's Wallander series, and I will probably pick up the eighth book before too long, but I must admit this was my least favorite up til now. Although I still enjoyed it and it was entertaining, everything felt a bit repetitive, as it reminded me a bit too much of the last two works, The Fifth Woman and One Step Behind. Wallander was is still an interesting character who struggles with real problems emotionally and in this book particularly, his health.

One problem I have with
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 4 147 Jul 11, 2012 06:14AM
  • The Man Who Went Up in Smoke (Martin Beck #2)
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • Voices (Inspector Erlendur #5)
  • Sun and Shadow (Inspector Winter, #3)
  • The Black Path (Rebecka Martinsson, #3)
  • The Indian Bride (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #5)
Henning Mankell is an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He is best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell splits his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He is married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.
More about Henning Mankell...

Kurt Wallander (10 books)
  • Faceless Killers (Wallander #1)
  • The Dogs of Riga (Wallander #2)
  • The White Lioness (Wallander, #3)
  • The Man Who Smiled (Wallander #4)
  • Sidetracked (Wallander #5)
  • The Fifth Woman (Wallander, #6)
  • Firewall (Wallander, #8)
  • The Pyramid: And Four Other Kurt Wallander Mysteries (Wallander, #9)
  • The Troubled Man (Wallander #10)
Faceless Killers (Wallander #1) The Fifth Woman (Wallander, #6) Sidetracked (Wallander #5) The Dogs of Riga (Wallander #2) The Man Who Smiled (Wallander #4)

“Police work wouldn't be possible without coffee," Wallander said.
"No work would be possible without coffee."
They pondered the importance of coffee in silence.”
152 likes
“Yo creo que más bien los atrae el saberse en las cercanías de la crueldad , con la tranquilidad de que no es uno el mismo afectado” 1 likes