Start by marking “Run Man Run” as Want to Read:
Run Man Run

Chester Himes

Run Man Run

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A white undercover cop vents his rage and starts a cycle of violence from which there is no escape. Walker, one of New York's embittered policemen, is vicious when drunk. Staggering into a restaurant on a freezing day, he kills two black workers "because they were there," and pursues a third who witnessed the murders in one of the most suspenseful chases ever put on paper.
Published June 28th 1975 by Chatham Bookseller (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Run Man Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Man Run

The Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerFarewell, My Lovely by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettTarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice BurroughsThe Best of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft
Best of the Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature
266th out of 313 books — 136 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayThe Stranger by Albert CamusThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Great Short Short Books
194th out of 378 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
I went on a quest for some Chester Himes not to long ago, hearing that he was an influence on Joe Lansdale. This was the first of his books I stumbled upon. The blurb on the cover says "Lush sex and stark violence, colored Black and served up raw by a great Negro writer." How could I not buy it?

A drunken cop, Matt Walker, is stumbling around Harlem and can't find his car. He wanders into an automat where three black men are working as porters. He immediately accuses them of stealing his car. Whi
Harold
I need one of these from time to time. Just a quick shot of fiction that reads like a good action movie. Good professional writing, in this case from Chester Himes. Well drawn characters in the New York City of the 1960s. Himes knows the geography, sociology and the pshycology and, as it turns out, this book is still relevant to todays world. I wish I could find the cover of the edition I read this from: a 1969 Dell paperback.
Terence
Jul 17, 2010 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Himes fans, noir fans
Recommended to Terence by: Dan Schwent
Shelves: mysteries
I don't have much to say about Run, Man, Run. It's quality Himes. The most fascinating part of the novel is Himes' chilling depiction of the sociopathic detective Matt Walker, whose drunken rage and murders of two black men drive the story. Whether he's seducing and abusing women, murdering witnesses, or justifying himself, Walker is eerily compelling - Himes nails the sociopath's charisma and personality.
Tarene Fung
Upon being assigned this book for my Texts & Contexts class, I was really hesitant about how I would receive it judging on the previous books we were obligated to read. However, I was surprised that I actually thoroughly enjoyed the dark, haunting, and invigoratingly sensual suspense that Chester Himes entwines into each sentence on every page. I've never been one to go for a "thriller" novel ( I've been so brainwashed to think that only movies can achieve that feeling), but this book was re ...more
Andy
Chris Rock once remarked that if there was anything scarier than terrorists it was crazy white guys, but he could have been referring to the crazy white cop in this book.

“Run Man Run” is a brilliant noir novel about a Christmastime drunken white cop who goes berserk in a night owl luncheonette killing two out of three black porters and relentlessly stalking the third porter through the streets of Harlem and Manhattan. Himes makes the streets of New York read like an insane carnival of light and
Ffiamma
un doppio omicidio brutale e insensato, un testimone inconsapevole, un poliziotto folle e razzista e una caccia all'uomo a harlem ma non solo. tra locali equivoci, botteghe di barbieri, bar e case- un altro piccolo affresco di new york. e stavolta, a differenza di "cieco con la pistola" c'è una storia serrata e costruita benissimo. ottimo libro di genere.
Curt Lorde
A tale that is so scary real- those oops shootings of Amadou Diallo and the guy in Oakland by a BART gunslinger come to mind. You'll wonder 'How many so-called justifiable homicides were straight out murders?' Power, racism, fear blend into this story that unfortunately has too much basis in fact.
Hugo
Muy buena historia, un policía blanco borracho que encuentra algo con que divertirse, unos hombres negros que van a entrar a trabajar. Los encañona y los amenaza, y debido a la situación y su borrachera se le dispara el arma. El dibujo es bueno a secas, es en blanco y negro.
Leeann
This was my introduction to Chester Himes in 1997 thanks to a contemporary lit class. Run Man Run is what so many other books of the genre wish they could be.
Allison Hobbs
Just discovering this African Ameican writer born in 1909 and I love his style
Logan Miller
I'm not entirely certain a better crime novel exists.
Hadley
Hadley marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Edgar
Edgar marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Justin Wilson
Justin Wilson marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Sonja Warren
Sonja Warren marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jessica Davis
Jessica Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Michael Burns
Michael Burns marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Luca
Luca added it
Aug 24, 2014
Starlon
Starlon marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Lance Polin
Lance Polin marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jamaal
Jamaal marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
4392029
Chester Bomar Himes began writing in the early 1930s while serving a prison sentence for armed robbery. From there, he produced short stories for periodicals such as Esquire and Abbott's Monthly. When released, he focussed on semi-autobiographical protest novels.

In 1953, Himes emigrated to France, where he was approached by Marcel Duhamel of Gallimard to write a detective series for Série Noire,
More about Chester Himes...
A Rage in Harlem If He Hollers Let Him Go Cotton Comes to Harlem (Harlem Cycle, #7) The Real Cool Killers (Harlem Cycle, #2) Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)