Start by marking “The MacGregors: Alan & Grant (MacGregors #6 & 7)” as Want to Read:
The MacGregors: Alan & Grant (MacGregors #6 & 7)

The MacGregors: Alan & Grant (The MacGregors #3, 4)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  9,016 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
The MacGregors: WITH All the Possibilities AND One Man's Art Contains "All the Possibilities" and "One Man's Art"; two stories by Nora Roberts Full description
Published 2008 by Harlequin Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The MacGregors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The MacGregors

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The MacGregors, Alan~Grant by Nora Roberts is made up of two separate stories, All The Possibilities and One Man’s Art, both originally published in 1985. In both stories, we have the Campbell siblings, Shelby and Grant. They are the children of the late Senator Robert Campbell who was assassinated fifteen years prior, right in front of his children. Both children have lasting scars from witnessing such a horrible loss and deal with it in different ways. Also, both children have grown up to be a ...more
Caro
Apr 04, 2011 Caro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roberts-nora, own
Super read! I loved the characters. This has great personalities, emotions, humor, family, swells and calm seas, and great HEAs. I loved both stories in this book and am looking forward to reading more in this series (some again)! Well written, descriptive, creative and pulls you in just to see what happens next. Totally Enjoy!
Kathy Davie
Jun 12, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Third and fourth in the MacGregor romance series revolving around the MacGregor family and their friends. These two stories are contemporary and revolve around art.

This series is a mess chronologically and has a number of stories combined into single books, so you may want to explore my list of the MacGregor family saga.

Series (chronologically):
All the Possibilities, 5
One Man's Art, 6

Amy  M. Brobst
May 29, 2008 Amy M. Brobst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Nora Roberts and romances
Recommended to Amy by: Liz, my sister
Carolyn Eaton
Oct 31, 2012 Carolyn Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan and Shelby are my most favorite MacGregor characters. Shelby's free spirit and Alan's Senatorial demeanor draw you in with their "opposites attract". Her resistance, his persistance and the push-pull of their fight against love at first sight...yum.
Heather
Jun 08, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
shelby&alan(1st story)-i read another book in this series, and decided id continue on with this one.i just hate how the guys careers r so boring.a lot of authors write about lawyers or something like that and it just doesnt interest me at all.
however,im just glad i can halfway get into this after having to have slam nora's "treasures" book.
-"shelby decided not2 mention that the personable young man had had 6 pairs of hands-all very active." what?!
her descriptions of ppl just confuses me sum
Christa绮思
Dec 17, 2013 Christa绮思 rated it it was ok
Christi Snow
Feb 07, 2012 Christi Snow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the Possibilities:
Story Overview:
Creative, compelling, unconventional—Shelby Campbell was unlike any woman Senator Alan MacGregor had ever known. The cynical politician found himself falling in love with the spirited beauty, though she kept him at arm's length. But Alan was determined and nothing was going to keep him from getting what he wanted—not even the centuries-old feud between the MacGregors and Campbells….

My Rating: B+

My Review:
I really enjoyed the story of this MacGregor book. Thi
Edan Marie Esquibel
I am really unhappy that I wasn't able to finish this book sooner than later because reality hated me so much it punched me with reality-related things to do.
[image error]

For one well, for people like me who are hopeless romantic and such.. i guess you can relate, I mean, you're reading this review and all, it's a good read with a nice story line 2 story lines, actually .

Well, okay, I must admit it adheres much to the traditional structure of love stories but then again, who am I to compl
Pooja
yep....gonna love it....
Anne Holly
Aug 31, 2014 Anne Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
It took me a long time to read this, because I just wasn't into the first story and kept wandering away. Overall, it was "ok," but, like most of the old NR re-packaged for fresh marketing, they were dated, facile, and not all that interesting.

The first story, All the Possibilities (1985), was marred by a serious issue of bulldozing and consent. While the "hero," Alan, was toted as a liberal, modern man, he sure strong armed his way through this book, with gem dialogue like this:

Shelby: "There's
Maria
All the Possibilities: Alan, the oldest of the MacGregor children, is the serious one. He is a US Senator in his mid-thirties and his hoping to run for President eventually. However, he has yet to meet anyone he wants to make his wife. Shelby is a potter, who owns a small store in Georgetown. More importantly she is the daughter of Senator Robert Campbell and grew up in the Washington political scene, so she knows all the political ropes. She couldn't be more perfect for a Senator's wife. Alan f ...more
Stacy
Dec 04, 2009 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In All the Possibilities, Washington, D.C., socialite Shelby Campbell meets Senator Alan MacGregor and the attraction is immediate and powerful. Unfortunately, Shelby is determined to avoid romantic involvement with any public figure, a resolve that stems from her witnessing her politician father's assassination. A man in the spotlight, especially a man in politics, is too vulnerable, and she can't risk losing someone she loves again. Her determination is no match for Alan's, though, as the han ...more
Brenda Margriet
Read these previously. Still enjoyed them, but obviously older style books.

In Alan's book, the oldest son of Daniel falls in love with the daughter of an assassinated presidential hopeful (he died years before). He has to break down her resistance to his being a politician (who ends up President 'off the page' later on). Shelby is a pottery artist in her own right, and a fun character. Liked Alan's patient persistence, although he does come across as a bit a boneheaded. There is one scene in par
Elizabeth
Again, I loved the stories, however the redundancy is getting to be a little much.

Overall, here it is in all the stories, one of the people that Daniel has tried to match make meets their potential mate. They both are strong willed and do not want love, and will not bend. They both have to have each other because it's like the world stops when they touch one another.........mind blowing sex, and then one of them decides they do not want to be tied down, but the other is head over heels in love,
Kai
Jun 16, 2013 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book in the series.

All the Possibilities

I enjoyed this book and loved Shelby and Alan. Shelby is an eccentric artist who watched her father get assassinated on the campaign trail, and vowed that she wouldn't become involved with politicians, but Alan MacGregor has other plans. They fall in love quickly but Shelby struggles with Alan's profession.

I enjoyed this story and found myself laughing out loud when Daniel and Shelby met. Cannot wait to continue in the series.

One Man's Art

Th
Bridget
I am not going to review every Nora Roberts book that I have read in the past because she is quite prolific and it would get redundant and I honestly cannot remember all the plots. I think someone finds someone else attractive but at least one cannot admit it so there is sexual tension, then lots of sex, and then they live happily ever after? Sometimes there is some magic , a family legacy, or a mystery. Certainly not great works of literature (however still 100% better than “the grapes of wrath ...more
Mailis Viiand
Apr 12, 2010 Mailis Viiand rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
All the Possibilities:
The words are right pretty enough and the romantic idea for it all also good, but it didn't reach me in any level at all, maybe im more used to something real and not at this level of sappiness...the gentle waves crashing to sandy beach used as analog for lovemaking does not tingle my toes... i have no doubt that Roberts has a good dictionary to accompany her through writing these books...and the flow of words seems to come through some sort of fanciful dreams of perfect lo
Donna
Dec 26, 2008 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another Nora Roberts book - I couldn't help myself. You know Nora Roberts definitely has a pattern. She portrays strong female characters not really looking for love and when they find it there is a struggle. The loves have some sort of conflicts that they have to work out and then they do and are into each others arms. I'll have to commend her on her description of the foreplay. It's apparent that kissing is very important to her. Her books go into great detail on the foreplay, which is probabl ...more
Shannon C.
Jun 12, 2010 Shannon C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
3.5 stars: Great summer reading

I really like this light hearted, laugh out loud series. Great characters. Endearing and hard to put down. I've read most of the books in this series and enjoyed them all. Not realizing it was part of a series, I started with MagGregor Brides (the one with the MacGregor acting as matchmaker for his grandaughters). It was hiliarous. I was hooked.

My favs in the series are the later books with three generations of MacGregors and the matchmaking, meddlesome grandfathe
Ruth
Jun 12, 2014 Ruth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me state first & foremost I AM a Nora Roberts fan; I am a MacGregors Fan...so this book was a 2 in 1 book where previously the books :All The Possiblities & One Mans Art were combined into the title above....You will won't to SKIP THIS BOOK because of the second story which I found Unreadable; unenjoyable whatsoever & quite disappointed for a NR read....I do NOT recommend One Man's Art as worthwhile....

However, ALL THE POSSIBLITIES is a wonderful contemporary romance following al
Antof9
Of course, it was basic Nora Roberts, and a continuation of the MacGregor family saga where the patriarch, Daniel, is the ultimate matchmaker, blaming everything on his long-suffering wife, Anna (she misses her grandchildren, she wants more grandchildren, etc., and I love that she's actually a brilliant surgeon!), and matching everyone he can, even people outside his immediate family circle.

This one matches Alan (the oldest son? I can't remember anymore!) with Shelby Campbell. And then also find
Jess
Real talk: All the Possibilities is BY FAR my favorite of the entire series and there isn't a single entry in it that I don't like. But something about a woman scarred by political assassination and a man who can't help but seek the presidency, just hits all of my buttons. And One Man's Art is a great companion to it. The whole thing is just so great.

(One quick note: like I said in the review of Serena~Caine, these books are clearly of the 1980s. That includes in some instances the language used
Victoria
Jul 27, 2011 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series that I've read. I thought the meetings of Serena and Caine with their significant others was much more appealing to read than Alan and Grant. I did enjoy the humor and the banter between Alan and Shelby and especially Grant and Gennie.

I have to say though, my favorite parts of this book was when the entire MacGregor clan congregates at the patrons castle. I love the interaction between the siblings and their loved ones especially when they are thrown at the
Joan
Feb 01, 2011 Joan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So there were two Jeapordy questionw and the answers were Nora Roberts and Mary Higgins Clark and I had not read either one. So I picked up The McGregors = Alan Grant. The cover looked interesting - scottish family, political/artsy two different worlds. It has the potential to be a great plot. I wasn't far into it before I realized it was a Romance Novel, under the Silouette brand. Easy to skip the yuch scenes - the rest was predictible and not terribly well written, but I hung in throughout Ala ...more
Wynn
Feb 13, 2013 Wynn rated it liked it
Holly Boyd
going back through all the nora roberts books I haven't read. I tried to start at the beginning since they are publishing some of her 1st books again in 2 book sets. I've enjoyed them but you can see her development as a writer and it may be the change from originally doing silhouette romance novels then moving on to a different publishers. The character development improves and the dialogue between characters gets better. It has been a fun summer reading project. It may take me until Christmas ...more
Courtney
Oct 02, 2008 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a happy ending
Shelves: my-favorites
I think I own *almost* every Nora Roberts book ever written, and many other romance novels as well, but the story of Alan MacGregor and Shelby Campbell is my favorite. It makes me laugh and sometimes when I need it, it makes me cry. It makes me hope. I wouldn't say there is anything special about it but I love Shelby and her free attitude. I also really enjoy how love with Alan (the very serious type) comes out of no-where but they work so well together. This is the book I turn to when I am stre ...more
Doreen
May 04, 2011 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is early Nora Roberts - and while there is defintely a pattern to her books - strong female characters - it is interesting to read how she has evolved throughout the years. Her research is always clear - meaning she does a great job at explaining whatever career/hobby the heroine has.

This particular series is a light hearted, easy read - these are great as an "in between" to the denser novels.
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • After the Kiss (Captive Hearts,#2)
  • Nora Roberts
  • Night Moves : Dream Man/After the Night
  • Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovan, #4)
  • The Manning Sisters (Manning Sisters, #1-2)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

The MacGregors (9 books)
  • Playing The Odds (The MacGregors, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)
  • All The Possibilities (The MacGregors, #3)
  • One Man's Art (The MacGregors, #4)
  • For Now, Forever (The MacGregors, #5)
  • The MacGregor Brides (MacGregors, #6)
  • The Winning Hand (The MacGregors, #7)
  • The MacGregor Grooms (MacGregors, #8)
  • The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #9)

“I'm not in love with someone!" he shouted at her, infuriated because she was right and he couldn't do a thing about it. "I'm in love with you, and damn it,I don't like it."
"You've made that abundantly clear." She straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin.
"Don't pull that regal routine on me," Grant began. Her eyes sharpened to dagger points. Her skin flushed majestically. Abruptly he began to laugh.When she tossed her head back in fury,he simply collapsed against her. "Oh,God,Gennie,I can't take it when you look at me as though you were about to have me tossed in the dungeon."
"Get off me,you ass!" Incensed, insulted, she shoved against him, but he only held her tighter. Only quick reflexes saved him from a well-aimed knee at a strategic point.”
9 likes
“It's part of us," she said jerkily. "How could I not want part of us? It's your baby.I'm carrying your baby and I love it so much already it terrifies me."
"Oh,Diana." He touched her then, gently, his hands on her face. "You've let two weeks go by when we could have been terrified together.”
7 likes