Start by marking “The Pig and I” as Want to Read:
The Pig and I

The Pig and I

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For every woman who's ever come home after a disastrous date or day at the office to the unconditional love and comfort of a pet, this funny, irreverent memoir poses (and answers) the eternal question: Why is it so easy to love an animal and so hard to live with a man?

The Pig and I follows the hilly course of Yale-educated single girl Rachel Toor's love affairs with a ser
Published January 27th 2005 by Hudson Street Press

To ask other readers questions about The Pig and I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pig and I

Lis
#1: It was refreshing how honest the writer was about how difficult, selfish, and unpleasant she frequently is, because otherwise I'd be writing this review about how much I disliked her. As it was, I did root for a couple of the really wonderful men to dump her, but by the end of the book she'd grown on me enough that I wished her well.

#2: The book is well-written, funny, infuriating (she's not half so brilliant with animals as she thinks she is) and thoroughly worth reading if you're an animal
Jody
The Pig and I is a funny, fabulous, and at turns heartwarming and heartbreaking story of one woman's relationships with men and animals. Every woman who has negotiatied the dating world will be able to relate to Rachel Toor's ups and downs with the men in her life, as well as the oftentimes hilarious coincidences of pets she owns when dating each man (ie: she learns to love Hester the rat while she's dating -- and then dumps -- a rat of a man).

I truly did both laugh and cry while reading this i
Maryanne
The Pig and I 05142008 Why It's So Easy to Love an Animal and So Hard to Live with a Man by Rachel Toor
Marylynn
Oct 23, 2007 Marylynn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers
This book was witty & entertaining. I got a little annoyed with the author & how impressed she seemed to be with herself, but as the story progresses she matures. Her understanding of people and the person she is becomes more and more clear through her relationships with people and almost more importantly, the animals in her life. I liked the author's writing for the laughs she produced in me, and would generally recommend this book - especially to my animal-loving girlfriends who can re ...more
Marilyn
Rather slow in the middle of the story but overall well worth it. I am actually curious about what happened to Rachel after she went to Montana. This is the story of the animals in Rachel's life and the men she loves along the way. I liked the descriptions of the different animals and their personalities and I was definitely ready to help her dump any of the guys who didn't appreciate her 4 legged friends. A quick, fun, enjoyable read.
tbears
Enjoyable but definitely not as good and heartwarming as "The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood" by Sy Montgomery. I'm not even sure if I would like Emma, the self-centered pig! I thought the ending was disjointed.
Lisa Cole
The writer seems like a very difficult person to live with-- she admits to being difficult-- so I found that part of the text hard to get through. But she is a succinct, observant, engaging, and often funny writer, and I found her relationships with her pets heartwarming.
Elisa
funny humor, interesting personality critiques, but a LOT of boyfriends and pets to go with them....it's different, quirky, easy read...

If you've ever loved a pet, you'll connect with the author and possibly even a tear or two at the end.
Coen Vazquez
One of those perspective altering books. Definitely in my top 5 list of books. This one really got through to me. I actually learned something new that I will incorporate into my life and into my being.
Angela
This is a wonderful book about a woman who compares her boyfriends to her various pets in life. Hysterical. Kind of makes me want to just get a bunch of pets and become the crazy pet lady!
Catt

i related a little ~too~ well to this author. *lol*

i wasn't able to finish the book out of time constraints & i do hope to return someday to see it to the end!
Cinda Rowe
I liked this book. If you have pets this is an interesting turn on they're traits teaching us something about our human quirks.
Karen
I thought this book was really cute and funny. I could definitely relate to it. (uh oh)
Harvee
Feb 12, 2010 Harvee marked it as to-read
This book looks too entertaining not to read!
Bonnie Campbell
I love Rachel Toor. I love her pig.
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Dayna Mongelli
Dayna Mongelli marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Clelia
Clelia added it
Sep 14, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Izuminka
Izuminka marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Tynan
Tynan marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Another novel called THE PIG AND I 1 1 Jan 26, 2013 03:00PM
Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running On the Road to Find Out Admissions Confidential: An Insider's Account of the Elite College Selection Process Eleanor Roosevelt The Polish Americans