Start by marking “The Pig and I” as Want to Read:
The Pig and I

The Pig and I

For every woman who's ever come home after a disastrous date or day at the office to the unconditional love and comfort of a pet, this funny, irreverent memoir poses (and answers) the eternal question: Why is it so easy to love an animal and so hard to live with a man?

The Pig and I follows the hilly course of Yale-educated single girl Rachel Toor's love affairs with a ser
Published January 27th 2005 by Hudson Street Press

To ask other readers questions about The Pig and I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pig and I

Alisa Kester
#1: It was refreshing how honest the writer was about how difficult, selfish, and unpleasant she frequently is, because otherwise I'd be writing this review about how much I disliked her. As it was, I did root for a couple of the really wonderful men to dump her, but by the end of the book she'd grown on me enough that I wished her well.

#2: The book is well-written, funny, infuriating (she's not half so brilliant with animals as she thinks she is) and thoroughly worth reading if you're an animal
Jody
Aug 15, 2007 Jody rated it really liked it
The Pig and I is a funny, fabulous, and at turns heartwarming and heartbreaking story of one woman's relationships with men and animals. Every woman who has negotiatied the dating world will be able to relate to Rachel Toor's ups and downs with the men in her life, as well as the oftentimes hilarious coincidences of pets she owns when dating each man (ie: she learns to love Hester the rat while she's dating -- and then dumps -- a rat of a man).

I truly did both laugh and cry while reading this i
Marylynn
Oct 23, 2007 Marylynn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers
This book was witty & entertaining. I got a little annoyed with the author & how impressed she seemed to be with herself, but as the story progresses she matures. Her understanding of people and the person she is becomes more and more clear through her relationships with people and almost more importantly, the animals in her life. I liked the author's writing for the laughs she produced in me, and would generally recommend this book - especially to my animal-loving girlfriends who can re ...more
Marilyn
Dec 03, 2010 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Rather slow in the middle of the story but overall well worth it. I am actually curious about what happened to Rachel after she went to Montana. This is the story of the animals in Rachel's life and the men she loves along the way. I liked the descriptions of the different animals and their personalities and I was definitely ready to help her dump any of the guys who didn't appreciate her 4 legged friends. A quick, fun, enjoyable read.
tbears
Feb 22, 2009 tbears rated it liked it
Enjoyable but definitely not as good and heartwarming as "The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood" by Sy Montgomery. I'm not even sure if I would like Emma, the self-centered pig! I thought the ending was disjointed.
Lisa Cole
Dec 17, 2013 Lisa Cole rated it really liked it
The writer seems like a very difficult person to live with-- she admits to being difficult-- so I found that part of the text hard to get through. But she is a succinct, observant, engaging, and often funny writer, and I found her relationships with her pets heartwarming.
Elisa
Aug 06, 2008 Elisa rated it liked it
funny humor, interesting personality critiques, but a LOT of boyfriends and pets to go with them....it's different, quirky, easy read...

If you've ever loved a pet, you'll connect with the author and possibly even a tear or two at the end.
Coen
Sep 17, 2008 Coen rated it it was amazing
One of those perspective altering books. Definitely in my top 5 list of books. This one really got through to me. I actually learned something new that I will incorporate into my life and into my being.
Angela
Dec 17, 2007 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2007
This is a wonderful book about a woman who compares her boyfriends to her various pets in life. Hysterical. Kind of makes me want to just get a bunch of pets and become the crazy pet lady!
Maryanne
The Pig and I 05142008 Why It's So Easy to Love an Animal and So Hard to Live with a Man by Rachel Toor
Cinda Rowe
Mar 19, 2012 Cinda Rowe rated it really liked it
I liked this book. If you have pets this is an interesting turn on they're traits teaching us something about our human quirks.
Catt
May 30, 2008 Catt rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish

i related a little ~too~ well to this author. *lol*

i wasn't able to finish the book out of time constraints & i do hope to return someday to see it to the end!
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Karen
Dec 13, 2007 Karen rated it liked it
I thought this book was really cute and funny. I could definitely relate to it. (uh oh)
Drew
Drew rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2009
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2009
Eliza A.
Eliza A. rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Angel
Angel rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2010
Elizabeth Deasy
Elizabeth Deasy rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2011
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2008
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2009
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2016
rkravasio
rkravasio rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
  • The Next Scott Nadelson: A Life in Progress
  • Jungle Jack: My Wild Life
  • HERE.
  • Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness
  • Dogs and the Women Who Love Them: Extraordinary True Stories of Loyalty, Healing, and Inspiration
  • Bark If You Love Me (Harvest Book)
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
  • The Hidden Life of Deer: Lessons from the Natural World
  • Live What You Love: Notes from an Unusual Life
  • Lucky For Me
  • This Side of Married
  • The Whole Hog: Exploring the Extraordinary Potential of Pigs
  • Love Is Not Constantly Wondering If You Are Making the Biggest Mistake of Your Life