Start by marking “Why the Dalai Lama Matters: His Act of Truth as the Solution for China, Tibet, and the World” as Want to Read:

he suppression of Tibet’s cultural heritage has the potential to set a precedent for all oppressed peoples of the world. Perched on the top of the world. changes in Tibet’s ecosystem affect the entire global climate. And, most importantly, Tibet is the spiritual and physical home of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, to which he can never return.

But why does Tibet matter to you?
Published June 3rd 2008 by Atria Books/Beyond Words (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Why the Dalai Lama Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why the Dalai Lama Matters

The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonEmpire of the Sun by J.G. BallardAmerica (The Book) by Jon StewartLes Misérables by Victor Hugo
Flags
64th out of 99 books — 22 voters
Yoga and Vipassana by Amit RayZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiThe Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation by Chögyam TrungpaInstruction Manual for the 21st Century Samurai by Alexei Maxim RussellNothing Special by Charlotte Joko Beck
Eastern Mindfulness comes West
103rd out of 105 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Karla
An informative book why the Dalai Lama (the 14th and the position in general) is important: he is a scientist, a political leader, a role model, a Buddhist monk and teacher, a philosopher, a leader, and more. Also about Chinese/Tibetan relations and suggestions for how the two nations can go forward together in harmony.

"Dr. Paul Ekman, the world authority on emotion revealed in facial expression, was unable to find the slightest trace of artificiality in the Dalai Lama's smile." Page F in pictur
Lois
Oct 11, 2015 Lois rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
I have learned a lot by reading this book. A small step to enlightenment.

Its just sad that China did not take the opportunity they had during the 2008 olympics, they did not do the steps, the author had written in the book. If China had taken those steps, it would had been wonderful for the Tibetans and other Asians.

Instead, it seems the Chinese government is intent on being an agressive super power, because as of now, China is claiming that they own an island that is under the Philippines. Not
John
Oct 08, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tibet
An overly sentimental piece that's already dated with constant references to President Hu Jintao. I recommend it for people who are already deep into the Tibet debate, but not for those new on the scene (it'll probably cement an overly idealistic image). While Thurman does openly call himself idealistic, he at least tries to broaden our minds into the possibilities and his approach to the issue is way more balanced than the Tibet as Independent State vs. Tibet is Chinese debate that it is usuall ...more
Lyn Farrell
Apr 16, 2016 Lyn Farrell rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read by a respected scholar. Offers a unique insight into Tibet-China relations and into the work of the Dalai Lama to ensure his people are not forgotten - a feat barely short of miraculous when you think of how unknown he and Tibet were when he started the quest). The solution to the problems of allowing Tibet to flourish independently but not outside of China are the product of deep thinking about how to move forward in a way that stops the current attempted erosion of Tibetan c ...more
Ellen
Feb 20, 2013 Ellen rated it liked it
A bit disappointing,I wouldn't really recommend it. Although I did pick up some additional information about the Tibetan situation, I was familiar with much of it from my time in Dharamsala India in the Tibetan refugee community and from reading the Dalai Lama's two autobiographies.

However it could be useful to some people. The explanation of Tibetan Buddhism's roots is informative, if a bit complex.

I reacted to a couple of aspects of the book: firstly that a Westerner, although educated in Asi
Mckinley
May 31, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, buddhism, gov
While it starts with H.H. Dalai Lama; it quickly moves into a discussion of China-Tibet relations and why the chinese should give up it's occupation.
Carol
Nov 11, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This is a critical book to read even if one is not Buddhist. China will play an important role in the 21st century whether we like it or not. How it has dealt, and could deal, with cultural diversity at its doorstep has profound implications for our global future. The Dalai Lama is for the world what Martin Luther King Jr. was for the U.S. We would do well to become educated about the issue of Tibet, to become better advocates abroad for the human rights that we hold so dear here.
Elaine
Dec 30, 2008 Elaine rated it liked it
I have tickets to see Robert Thurman in February so I wanted to read his book before then. I was amazed to find myself starting to believe that is is possible that China could come to see the advantage of an independent Tibet. Per Thurman, think of the end of apartheid in South Africa and of the dissolution of the former Soviet Union.
Peter
Dec 30, 2008 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism, religion
As we enter the 50th anniversary of the complete takeover of Tibet by China and the beginning of the Dalia Lama's exile from his home land, one of America's great Buddhist Scholars Robert Thurman explains why the cause of Tibet deserves more than mere lip service and what the Dalai Lama offers to the world.
Indigo Editing/Ink-Filled Page
Jul 29, 2008 Indigo Editing/Ink-Filled Page rated it really liked it
Shelves: edited
I edited this book for Beyond Words/Atria books. I found it extremely informative about the situation in Tibet and the Dalai Lama's activism not only for Tibet's freedom but also for advancements in humankind.

I recommend this for people who are passionate about making the world a better place.
Danielle Strickman
Jun 26, 2008 Danielle Strickman marked it as to-read
Heard Robert Thurman speak at the University of Miami. He is quite extraordinary. He is a professor at Columbia University and co-founded Tibet House with Richard Gere. His plan for the future of Tibet is reasonable and inspiring. A must read along with, apparently, many of his other books.
Karen
Sep 21, 2009 Karen rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
I was really looking forward to this book. But what I got was a very complicated discussion of Buddhism rather than a primer on the Dalai Lama himself. After floudering for a few days I gave up. If you want to read the book yourself, I have a copy that I'd love to give to you.
Suzanna
Nov 25, 2008 Suzanna rated it liked it
Thurman is an apologist for the Tibetan independence cause, in addition to being a scholar of Tibetan Buddhism. What I gained from this book was a better idea of Tibetan history in relation to the Dalai Lama, and the way Tibet is physically separate from China.
Rachel Swords
Jul 30, 2011 Rachel Swords rated it liked it
I wasn't able to finish this book before it had to go back to the library. I was interested with the contents of the chapters I did get to read....China needs to listen to the Dalai Lama!
Fiona715
Feb 05, 2009 Fiona715 rated it really liked it
An excellent explanation of the Dalai Lama's position on Chinese/Tibetan relationships and an explanation of how the differences could be worked out.
Angie
Jul 16, 2009 Angie rated it did not like it
Shelves: buddhism, tibet, 2009
Horribly written and edited, not really worth you time. If you really want to know why HHDL matters, read one of his own books.
Mary Louise
Jul 08, 2010 Mary Louise is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I think, given his lectures, he's got me convinced. We'll see... :-)
Jenn
Jan 28, 2009 Jenn rated it it was ok
reading for a book group - not overly impressed
Nicole Bouroncle
Nicole Bouroncle marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Jessica Healy
Jessica Healy is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Jesse Budel
Jesse Budel marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Dixbee
Dixbee marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Ann-sophie Berumen
Ann-sophie Berumen is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2016
Christine Racine
Christine Racine marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Halogen
Halogen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Sukrit Mishra
Sukrit Mishra rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • In Exile from the Land of Snows: The Definitive Account of the Dalai Lama and Tibet Since the Chinese Conquest
  • The Dragon in the Land of Snows: A History of Modern Tibet Since 1947
  • The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice
  • Glimpse After Glimpse: Daily Reflections on Living and Dying
  • The Autobiography of a Tibetan Monk
  • The Story of Tibet: Conversations with the Dalai Lama
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Genuine Happiness: Meditation as the Path to Fulfillment
  • Meltdown in Tibet: China's Reckless Destruction of Ecosystems from the Highlands of Tibet to the Deltas of Asia
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • Prisoners of Shangri-La: Tibetan Buddhism and the West
  • Shoes Outside the Door: Desire, Devotion, and Excess at San Francisco Zen Center
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
  • Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines: Or Seven Books of Wisdom of the Great Path, According to the Late Lama Kazi Dawa-Samdup's English Rendering
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • The White Lama - Book 1: Reincarnation
  • Blue Jean Buddha: Voices of Young Buddhists
206914
Tenzin Robert Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies at Columbia University, holding the first endowed chair of Buddhist Studies in the United States. He is the author of the bestseller Inner Revolution, as well as Anger, Infinite Life, and other popular books. He is also a translator of Tibetan texts. He serves as co-founder and president of Tibet House US, a no ...more
More about Robert A.F. Thurman...

“Buddhism is all about science. If science is the systematic pursuit of the accurate knowledge of reality, then science is Buddhism, Buddhism is science.” 10 likes