Start by marking “Why the Dalai Lama Matters: His Act of Truth as the Solution for China, Tibet, and the World” as Want to Read:

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  16 reviews
he suppression of Tibet’s cultural heritage has the potential to set a precedent for all oppressed peoples of the world. Perched on the top of the world. changes in Tibet’s ecosystem affect the entire global climate. And, most importantly, Tibet is the spiritual and physical home of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, to which he can never return.

But why does
Published June 3rd 2008 by Atria Books/Beyond Words (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Why the Dalai Lama Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why the Dalai Lama Matters

Royal Decree by Mark A. CooperBy Royal Command by Charlie HigsonThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickCaptives by Linda ColleyTreasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Flags
53rd out of 102 books — 41 voters
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiYoga and Vipassana by Amit RayThe Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation by Chögyam TrungpaInstruction Manual for the 21st Century Samurai by Alexei Maxim RussellNothing Special by Charlotte Joko Beck
Eastern Mindfulness comes West
91st out of 93 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Karla
An informative book why the Dalai Lama (the 14th and the position in general) is important: he is a scientist, a political leader, a role model, a Buddhist monk and teacher, a philosopher, a leader, and more. Also about Chinese/Tibetan relations and suggestions for how the two nations can go forward together in harmony.

"Dr. Paul Ekman, the world authority on emotion revealed in facial expression, was unable to find the slightest trace of artificiality in the Dalai Lama's smile." Page F in pictur
John
An overly sentimental piece that's already dated with constant references to President Hu Jintao. I recommend it for people who are already deep into the Tibet debate, but not for those new on the scene (it'll probably cement an overly idealistic image). While Thurman does openly call himself idealistic, he at least tries to broaden our minds into the possibilities and his approach to the issue is way more balanced than the Tibet as Independent State vs. Tibet is Chinese debate that it is usuall ...more
Ellen
A bit disappointing,I wouldn't really recommend it. Although I did pick up some additional information about the Tibetan situation, I was familiar with much of it from my time in Dharamsala India in the Tibetan refugee community and from reading the Dalai Lama's two autobiographies.

However it could be useful to some people. The explanation of Tibetan Buddhism's roots is informative, if a bit complex.

I reacted to a couple of aspects of the book: firstly that a Westerner, although educated in Asi
Mckinley
While it starts with H.H. Dalai Lama; it quickly moves into a discussion of China-Tibet relations and why the chinese should give up it's occupation.
Carol
This is a critical book to read even if one is not Buddhist. China will play an important role in the 21st century whether we like it or not. How it has dealt, and could deal, with cultural diversity at its doorstep has profound implications for our global future. The Dalai Lama is for the world what Martin Luther King Jr. was for the U.S. We would do well to become educated about the issue of Tibet, to become better advocates abroad for the human rights that we hold so dear here.
Elaine
I have tickets to see Robert Thurman in February so I wanted to read his book before then. I was amazed to find myself starting to believe that is is possible that China could come to see the advantage of an independent Tibet. Per Thurman, think of the end of apartheid in South Africa and of the dissolution of the former Soviet Union.
Peter
As we enter the 50th anniversary of the complete takeover of Tibet by China and the beginning of the Dalia Lama's exile from his home land, one of America's great Buddhist Scholars Robert Thurman explains why the cause of Tibet deserves more than mere lip service and what the Dalai Lama offers to the world.
Indigo Editing/Ink-Filled Page
I edited this book for Beyond Words/Atria books. I found it extremely informative about the situation in Tibet and the Dalai Lama's activism not only for Tibet's freedom but also for advancements in humankind.

I recommend this for people who are passionate about making the world a better place.
Danielle Strickman
Jun 26, 2008 Danielle Strickman marked it as to-read
Heard Robert Thurman speak at the University of Miami. He is quite extraordinary. He is a professor at Columbia University and co-founded Tibet House with Richard Gere. His plan for the future of Tibet is reasonable and inspiring. A must read along with, apparently, many of his other books.
Karen
I was really looking forward to this book. But what I got was a very complicated discussion of Buddhism rather than a primer on the Dalai Lama himself. After floudering for a few days I gave up. If you want to read the book yourself, I have a copy that I'd love to give to you.
Suzanna
Thurman is an apologist for the Tibetan independence cause, in addition to being a scholar of Tibetan Buddhism. What I gained from this book was a better idea of Tibetan history in relation to the Dalai Lama, and the way Tibet is physically separate from China.
Rachel Swords
I wasn't able to finish this book before it had to go back to the library. I was interested with the contents of the chapters I did get to read....China needs to listen to the Dalai Lama!
Fiona715
An excellent explanation of the Dalai Lama's position on Chinese/Tibetan relationships and an explanation of how the differences could be worked out.
Angie
Horribly written and edited, not really worth you time. If you really want to know why HHDL matters, read one of his own books.
Mary Louise
Jul 08, 2010 Mary Louise is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I think, given his lectures, he's got me convinced. We'll see... :-)
Jenn
reading for a book group - not overly impressed
Yvette Pfalzgraf
Yvette Pfalzgraf marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Cadie Rose
Cadie Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Ido
Ido added it
Jun 03, 2015
Samdup Gyal
Samdup Gyal marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Kelsea
Kelsea marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Cindy Jewell
Cindy Jewell marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
M.I.A. Not-I
M.I.A. Not-I marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Mariam Lobzhanidze
Mariam Lobzhanidze marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Lady Goshawke
Lady Goshawke is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Sonamdhargyal
Sonamdhargyal marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
206914
Tenzin Robert Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies at Columbia University, holding the first endowed chair of Buddhist Studies in the United States. He is the author of the bestseller Inner Revolution, as well as Anger, Infinite Life, and other popular books. He is also a translator of Tibetan texts. He serves as co-founder and president of Tibet House US, a no ...more
More about Robert A.F. Thurman...
Essential Tibetan Buddhism Inner Revolution The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism Infinite Life Circling the Sacred Mountain: A Spiritual Adventure Through the Himalayas

“Buddhism is all about science. If science is the systematic pursuit of the accurate knowledge of reality, then science is Buddhism, Buddhism is science.” 9 likes