Start by marking “And I Was There: Pearl Harbor and Midway--Breaking the Secrets” as Want to Read:
And I Was There: Pearl Harbor and Midway--Breaking the Secrets

And I Was There: Pearl Harbor and Midway--Breaking the Secrets

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The first book by a top-ranking American navy officer to answer these questions: : Why did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor? How did they inflict so much damage? What went wrong in our system?
Published January 1st 1985 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about And I Was There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And I Was There

With the Old Breed by Eugene B. SledgeEscape From Davao by John D. LukacsThe Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. HornfischerNeptune's Inferno by James D. HornfischerGhost Soldiers by Hampton Sides
Best Books on the Pacific War
44th out of 135 books — 170 voters
Joe Rochefort's War by Elliot CarlsonThe Story of Magic by Frank B. RowlettCombined Fleet Decoded by John PradosDouble-Edged Secrets by W. J. HolmesConflict of Duty by Jeffery M. Dorwart
Intelligence in the Pacific War
6th out of 25 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Larry Loftis
Dec 03, 2015 Larry Loftis rated it it was amazing
An absolute must-read for anyone researching Pearl Harbor. Adm. Layton was Adm. Kimmel's intelligence officer and both were unfairly blamed for the disaster. This book and Kimmel's should be read together. The bottom line is that they did not get the intelligence coming out of Washington. In particular, and what I point out in my book (Into the Lion's Mouth), is that neither Kimmel nor Layton received a word of the warning that British double agent Dusko Popov gave to the FBI in August 1941 (not ...more
George
Nov 17, 2012 George rated it really liked it
An important source of information about communications intelligence in the Pacific Ocean war zone during World War II.

"...a secret wartime navy department assessment concluded: 'It takes nothing from the achievements of the fleets of the U.S. Navy at Coral Sea to say that they had been brought to the right spot at exactly the right time by the work of radio (communications) intelligence.' " (page 404)

27 November 1941 "I learned that a top-secret and urgent dispatch had just come in. I went at o
David
Feb 13, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Read this in conjunction with "Joe Rochefort's War" and biographies of Nimitz, Spruance and King. Now know more about the politics of code breaking than I ever expected to.
Dr. Richard
Oct 07, 2015 Dr. Richard rated it it was amazing
I read this excellent book when it was first published and loaned to a WWII vet who moved, taking the book with him. Recently, I bought a used copy and enjoyed reading it again. The movie Tora, Tora, Tora, highlights many of the issues cited in this book.
John
Nov 05, 2015 John rated it really liked it
If you have an interest in WWII and specifically the battles of the Pacific this a good but lengthy read.
Ken Megale
Such poignant sadness and teutonic personality clashes...alas.
Paul
Feb 28, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. It is a tale of courage and war, yes, but more importantly a story of the infighting that goes on in human organizations. The attitudes of the Redman brothers in trying to control the glory of intelligence show hom lust for power can subvert real power.
Peter
Jan 05, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've ever had the pleasure to read, and an absolute must read for any Naval Intelligence professional. I just cannot say enough about this book. It's well worth the read.
Scott
Jul 17, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy the history of WWII, especially naval history, as I do, your library is incomplete without this book.
Craig
Feb 01, 2010 Craig rated it really liked it
Essential reading for anyone interested in the history of the war in the Pacific.
Jaime A.  Zobel de Ayala
Jaime A. Zobel de Ayala marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Steve Flinner
Steve Flinner marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
John Mcgarvey
John Mcgarvey rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Anton Fourie
Anton Fourie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Ty Beard
Ty Beard rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
John Mcginley
John Mcginley marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Tom Batalias
Tom Batalias marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Reterre
Reterre marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Roger Thomas
Roger Thomas rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015