Start by marking “Jamilti and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Jamilti and Other Stories

Jamilti and Other Stories

Published by Drawn & Quarterly in 2007, Exit Wounds—a tale at once mystery and romance—introduced North American readers to the colorful and tightly woven narrative by Rutu Modan and was included in Time and Entertainment Weekly’s “best of” lists. Jamilti and Other Stories collects the cartoonist’s short works, which lead the reader through unexpected turns of plot an
Published September 30th 2008 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Jamilti and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jamilti and Other Stories

Elevate Difference
Feb 16, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it really liked it
I will confess, I am a former comic geek (geekette?) to a degree. I once blew off writing a paper on King Lear to read Swamp Thing all night, interspersing plucking psychedelic yams with plucking out eyes. I owned a full run of Sandman that was destroyed in a basement flood (albeit it a well-timed one: we really needed the insurance money). A pal once spotted me reading a graphic novel in public and declared, “We’re such geeks that even the women are geeks!”

Granted, I was always more artsy than
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
This new volume of short pieces from Rutu Modan is an interesting counterpart to Exit Wounds, her full-length English-language debut. These shorter stories are charming, surreal, and sometimes a bit grotesque. By-and-large, they are not as fully immersed in the Israeli experience as the more focused Exit Wounds, which brings Modan's work into a space that most English readers have not experienced before. But there's a lot to enjoy in Jamilti, and it's fascinating to see Modan exercise her talent ...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Sep 20, 2014 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it
AN excellent collection of short stories in a variety of art styles, all imaginative and poignant. A wonderful range of narrative tones too, this book really showcases Modan's versatility.
Lateef Amodu
I found the stories in the book to be very intriguing and quite unique. The assortment of stories contains themes of family, relationships, politics and love, which are set within an Israeli landscape. Some of the illustrations are awkwardly drawn to the point where it looks amateurish (see “Bygone”), while others are refined (see “The King of the Lillies”). So, the artwork for the stories ranges with quality.
Agnieszka Czoska
Oct 16, 2016 Agnieszka Czoska rated it it was amazing
Quite eerie stories about expectations, family, esthetics, memory... I would say, that their leitmotif for me is how what one wants to believe shapes their actions, no matter others' views, not to speak of "facts". It's a great set of metaphors ready to use in life. It was also interesting to see how Modan's drawing style was changing.
The_Mad_Swede
Jan 06, 2017 The_Mad_Swede rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2016
In September last year, I read Israeli cartoonist Rutu Modan's warmly recommended Exit Wounds and it left me interested in reading more of her ouevre, so when I stumbled across this volume of seven collected short comics pieces, I immediately picked it up. However, I did find it a mixed bag.

The collection opens with "Jamilti", which while thematically quite interesting did not appeal to me at all, as I found the art jarring. Having highly appreciated the almost Hergé-like qualities in Exit Wou
John Burt
Sep 02, 2015 John Burt rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
[Note: Contains spoilers, and possibly triggers.]
Rutu Modan writes about life in Israel from an Israeli perspective. That is, not a Zionist perspective, or an anti-Zionist perspective, and above all not from an American or European perspective, but from the viewpoint of a person living in Israel not as a statement or an challenge but simply because Israel is where he lives. Imagine that.
No, seriously, imagine it. Think about how Israel is treated as a symbol by most of the world -- a symbol of h
Miguel Jiménez
Un cómic que tiene historias muy buenas, me atrevo a decir que algunas de ellas las mejores que he leído en este medio(el cómic). Las que se me hicieron increíbles —de 5 estrellas— fueron: "El rey de las rosas", el solo hecho de ver la imagen de todas las pacientes mujeres cada una de ellas con un rasgo de la enamorada del doctor, Rosa, se me hizo fantástico. Y "Bragas" también la considero de lo mejor, cómo la mujer asesinaba a sus víctimas porque se molestaba que se rieran de la imagen de su m ...more
Sam Quixote
Sep 20, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
"Jamilti and Other Stories" is a collection of Rutu Modan's stories from her early career up until the publication of "Exit Wounds". The stories range from whimsy (King of the Lillies, about a plastic surgeon who falls for a beautiful girl who disappears and the surgeon spends his days making every woman he works on to look like the girl who disappeared) to the strange (a story about a serial killer who puts underpants on the heads of all the victims) to the contemporary (Jamilti is about a bomb ...more
Fredrik Strömberg
This is a great collection of early stories by Rutu Modan. I read most of them in the anthologies that her collective Actus Tragicus put out in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but rereading them in one go puts them all together and shows the development of a great comics artists, on her way to creating the intriguing graphic novel Exit Wounds.

The stories are all memorable, and I realised when reading this book that they all had stuck with me from the time of the anthologies. Some are more grote
Soobie's heartbroken
Paragonato alle altre opere di Rutu Modan che ho letto, Unknown/sconosciuto e La proprietà, questo mi sembra un po' debuluccio.

Lo stile dell'autrice non mi piace particolarmente, quindi era la storia che risvegliava il mio interesse. In questo caso, una collezione di storie brevi, l'autrice non riesce a consegnare il suo messaggio. Insomma, non è scontato che un autore riesca ad essere al top sia quando disegna storie lunghe, sia quando si diletta con storie brevi. Le storie sono appena accennat
Jenny
Apr 14, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
Peter Panic
Oct 28, 2008 Peter Panic rated it liked it
First off, let me say that I loved Exit Wounds. The love scene in it was the most awkward and believable scene ever depicted in comics (outside of Crumb's raunchy take on sex). So, I clearly had high expectations for this collection of short stories. After reading her previous book, I thought she would produce more serious 'slice of life' stories about war torn Israel or perhaps the Lebanon war.
While some of that was interspersed, there was more creative stories which I found the fantastical st
curleduptoes
Feb 06, 2017 curleduptoes rated it really liked it
Actually 4.5 stars.

So its not just another comic book. Its a very interesting book, with the author restyling how graphic novels usually are. A pleasant blend of short stories that are witty, real and fun to pore over.

I am not really a fan of short stories but when it comes to reads like this, its difficult to resist. Completely effortless writing. Who would have drawn Israel in a better way?

Jamilti, is such a beautiful word, one that I would always have in my mind and wont hesitate to lay out
Javier Jiménez
Esta obra está compuesta por un conjunto de breves historias con diversos temas. La mayoría de estas están ambientadas en Israel y de cierta forma refleja un poco la ideología y modo de vida de los israelís. El dibujo en esta historia es interesante, ya que cada historia tiene un estilo diferente, pareciera como si hubiera sido dibujada por distintos artistas.

En cuanto a la trama de las historias, ninguna me terminó por llamar totalmente la atención o a dejarme una sensación memorable, a excepc
Mahinn
May 29, 2016 Mahinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I keep saying: I'm not a fan of short stories, even in the graphic novel format but it's difficult to resist Rutu Modan once you've begun.

This was my first tryst with the author and it's like a summer affair you can't enough of or can bear to think of ending. It's shocking in its "realness" and yet serves up a side of chilling and hysterical instances of life. Some stories are incredible and because of that, are significantly stunning. They're just situations that are entirely possible but..
Shannon
Aug 03, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
This collection of short graphic stories showcases Rutu Modan's talent as a storyteller, artist, and cultural historian. Where other collections of early works from other graphic novelists tend to disappoint, Jamilti delivers a forceful punch of skilled artistry. A raw glimpse into daily life in Israel, where suicide bombings are commonplace and barely newsworthy. She explores relationships and the quirks of human nature. Several different graphic techniques are used, and dialogue is used sparin ...more
Jason Bootle
May 21, 2013 Jason Bootle rated it really liked it
Having read this collection of short stories by Rutu I am now a bona fide fan.

Her simple but so so expressive drawing style I love, especially when displayed as full page panels in the story Homecoming. In Exit Wounds, I enjoyed the humour and her very human and likeable characters whose emotions were palpable and very believable. The same expressiveness is seen in this collection of stories and again we get an insight into what living in the terrorist landscape of Israel must feel like.

The stor
Bruno Garcia
Mar 07, 2014 Bruno Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Anteriormente ya había leído algo de Rutu Modan. En Metralla la autora israelí nos habla de cómo es el día a día en Tel Aviv. Con sus terroristas suicidas y sus bares de moda.

Jamilti y otras historias de Israel es un poco más de lo mismo - cosa que no está mal, si te interesa conocer la vida en un país rodeado de enemigos y odiado por la totalidad de la comunidad árabe. Esta vez no es una novela, si no un compendio de cuentos cortos, algunos más acertados que otros, pero con un nivel medio basta
sweet pea
May 04, 2009 sweet pea rated it really liked it
although i thought the much-lauded Exit Wounds was interesting, it didn't excite me. Jamilti, however, i loved. perhaps it's because the stories are quirky. "The Panty Killer" is wonderfully bizarre, especially after the monochrome of "Bygone". my favorite is "The King of the Lillies". it's delicious and nostalgic, even as it doesn't take place in Modan's Israel. her unique illustrations often manage to be both simple and complex. i'll be quite interested to see her future work.
Sasha Boersma
Mar 27, 2013 Sasha Boersma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fun! I hadn't read Exit Wounds, but now I feel I should. This book I found through my public library when I was browsing their collection online, and had zero expectations for it. Turns out, very quirky and fun that carries on through each of the short stories in this collection - I wanted to keep reading and was disappointed when the final story ended. Interesting illustration style.

One of the stories starts: "It was the eight body to be found with its underpants over its head since the beginni
Joy
Nov 27, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
The selections in this book are like graphic short stories -- each one thoughtful, quirky, and self-contained. Set in Isreal, the vignettes capture a whimsical, absurd poignancy with stories of revenge, murder, and mistaken identities, but also of love, longing, and moments of grace. There's the woman who heals people through electric touch, the hotelier who dresses as Snow White, and the nun who serves as a nurse for a plastic surgeon. Each story surprises with the twists and turns of its own i ...more
V.
Mar 21, 2014 V. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2014, asia
Historias curtas que traen os aromas e os ruídos dunha Israel diversa, onde se mestura o amor, a familia, o misterio e a crítica social. É diferente, non só na calidade dos debuxos, nin na orixinalidade das historias; é diferente en tanto en canto logra esa difícil conexión coa lectora, volvéndoa nunha personaxe máis e non nunha simple espectadora. E o resquicio que deixa ao final da derradeira páxina.
Jess
Sep 08, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This will only be relevant to anyone from Sheffield but 99% of this graphic novel is set in Israel apart from one scene set outside Endcliffe Park Cafe!
I found this exciting for Sheffield-nostalgia reasons.

Aside from that, I enjoyed Jamilti but found that some of the short comics it's made up of were much better than others. It was interesting to read Rutu Modan's earlier work work having already read Exit Wounds.
Jul 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love Modan's art so everything she does is very compelling to me. The warm colors she uses are all yellowed a bit to give an aged, Henry-Darger-esque quality that is creepy and intriguing. This is a book of short stories that touch on a disaffection in modern life. Mostly set in modern day Israel, the stories translate tension in an environment that is always at war, but the stories are all quirkly, funny, and complicated. I'm a fan.
David Schaafsma
This is a collection of work that precedes Exit Wounds, which is obviously a longer, more developed and more sophisticated story, but I liked a lot of the stories, nevertheless. Israeli artist, got international fame from Exit Wounds, which I liked, a richer story. These I guess provide some background to the later work, for her as artist and storyteller, but some stories are pretty sketchy, too...
Przemek Skoczyński
Jan 20, 2017 Przemek Skoczyński rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Wystarczające dziwne, by cię zaintrygować, a zarazem wystarczająco zwyczajnie opowiedziane, by zakwalifikować do kategorii "obyczajówka". Takie zbiory krótkich historii, powstających na przestrzeni lat, mają prawo być nierówne, ale w tym przypadku wszystkie trzymają bardzo wysoki poziom. Można za to fajnie prześledzić (nie takie znowu wielkie) zmiany wynikające z ciągłego doskonalenia warsztatu autorki. Kolejna kapitalna pozycja w katalogu tej pani.
Sara
Mar 31, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
One of the best short-story collection graphic novel books I've read. Rutu Modan reminds me of a more sympathetic Adrian Tomine in the way she tells her stories, and her art is both simple and textured in really nice ways. I'm surprised Modan isn't more acclaimed. Rutu Modan should be getting the attention from the This American Life crowd that more gimmicky artists like Chris Ware are.
Lillian
Modan is a fine illustrator and these stories are as engrossing as her full length novels. Although I generally prefer black and white drawings her black and white illustrations lack vitality. She excels at full color illustrations.
If you are a fan of graphic novels that are sociopolitical in a historical context you would enjoy Modan's work.
Spike Gomes
Oct 14, 2013 Spike Gomes rated it liked it
The stories contained in this book were moving for the most part, but were of an artist finding her own voice and style. Some were a bit trite, others a bit crude in graphical execution, but for the most part, it was more interesting to read in light of her greater work "Exit Wounds". To read them alone would be a matter of hit and miss. In short, read "Exit Wounds" first then read this.
  • Lucky
  • Unlovable
  • 32 Stories: The Complete Optic Nerve Mini-Comics
  • Everything We Miss
  • Sublife #1
Rutu Modan was born in Tel-Aviv in 1966. In 1992 she graduated cum laude from the illustration program at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design in Jerusalem. Shortly after graduating, she began regularly writing and illustrating comic strips and stories for Israel's leading daily newspapers, as well as editing the Israeli edition of MAD magazine with Yirmi Pinkus. Together, they founded Actus Trag ...more
More about Rutu Modan...