Start by marking “The Rose and the Ring” as Want to Read:
The Rose and the Ring

The Rose and the Ring

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  494 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This clear print title is set in Tiresias 13pt font for easy reading
Published September 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1855)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose and the Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose and the Ring

Althea Ann
According to the author's introduction, this was intended to be put on as a dramatic presentation, or pantomime, at Christmastime, for children.

It was indeed published at Christmas (1854), but I'm not at all convinced that the main intended audience was children. This is, technically, a fairy tale, but it's mainly a political and social satire, caricaturing the events and personalities of the day. I'm quite certain that quite a lot of the humor flew past me, but it seems that it was quite timely
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Unable to find any Christmas entertainment, Thackeray invents his own fireside pantomime - a story of kings, princesses, lions and battles. Stars Prunella Scales and Maureen Lipman.
Perry Whitford
Written initially by Thackeray as a 'fireside pantomime' in order to entertain some children while he was holidaying in Rome during the Christmas of 1854, 'The Rose and the Ring' is a mock fairy tale of misplaced heirs, malignant tyrants and magical amulets - an affable ancestor to the likes of The Princess Bride and Stardust. if you will.

The fictional and very ancient (the story is set 'ten or twenty thousand years ago'!) kingdoms of Paflagonia and Crim Tartary, always at war, have both been us
Grace
Hilarious biting satire about monarchies, heroes, heroines and Victorian mores, all in a faux-fairytale wrapper with illustrations and footnotes on each page, that when read in succession, make a poem describing the story's events.
I LOVE my 1934 Macmillan & Co edition with its red hardback cover embossed with Mr Gruffanuff as a doorknocker.
Stella
loved it...still do! :)
Lobo
A Rózsa és a gyűrűben az a zseniális, hogy amikor kislányként olvastam, maga a történet nyűgözött le, felnőttként pedig a könnyedén adagolt irónia. Tündérmese-regény, kicsit másképp, mint megszoktuk, ugyanakkor megvan benne a délceg királyfi és a neki rendelt hányattatott sorsú királylány, de az egész teljesen felrázva és megkeverve. Mert főhőseink keresztanyja egy renegát tündér, aki ahelyett, hogy valami olyan tulajdonsággal ruházná fel őket, amellyel lazán végiglavíroznák az életüket, csupán ...more
K.
It would have been fun to be a child who got to listen to Thackeray's fireside tales! I've been wanting to get my hands on this book for years, thank you paperbackswap!! Delightful little satirical "fairy tale" that I think I'll be reading to my children sometime in the near future. This copy (perhaps all of them?) has illustrations by Thackeray himself, which I find so fun--especially when he says things like "...and it looked just like this..." above one of his drawings. I just think that adds ...more
Lora
I couldn't finish Vanity Fair and I couldn't finish this. The satire was too carefully spelled out, the fairy tale aspects just reminded me of how many fairy tales I've read, and the characters couldn't keep my attention. I'm glad he's out there for other people, but dang. I give up on Thackeray.
Lynne
This is a novelette and it's very funny. I read it when in 8th grade first, then later as an adult. Thackeray at his most playful. Tons of fun.
Lynne
Favourite childhood read, and thanks to a Radio 4 Extra broadcast, a delightful rediscovery. Absolutely barmy, cod Italianate name, silly magic and memories of Kenneth Williams reading this in his glorious camp nasal pomp have made this a very happy experience all over again. It's just a shame that the Amazon edition that arrived appeared to be little more than a computer print out cobbled together with a pre-Raph postcard. What it lacked in appearance, was, thankfully more than made up for by t ...more
Mary
A quaint little fairy tale, there aren't many surprises here if you have read many fairy tales before. Then again, the author rather expects that. This story follows Betsinda, Giglio, Angelica and Bulbo as they grow from children into adults, have adventures, and (for 2 of them) take control of the kingdoms. It pokes fun at traditional fairy tales while at the same time delivering several serious messages about education, kindness, and honor.
This book is much more enjoyable when it is understo
Wreade1872
A delightful fairytale parody. You have the usual suspects, fairy-godmothers, princes and princesses, magic etc. But it doesn't take itself seriously and even critiques the fairytale tropes a bit.
Not much else to say other than it ended on a particularly high note which was great as so many things i read tend to fall down a bit during the finale.
Nấm Hương
Ngày xửa, ngày xưa, ở một vương quốc xa xôi xí quách, có nàng công chúa xinh đẹp tuyệt trần và tài giỏi vô song.
Tất cả những người xung quanh đều yêu quý, ngưỡng mộ và luôn luôn ca ngợi nàng.
Cho đến một lúc nọ, nàng bắt đầu tin rằng mình quả là xinh đẹp tiệc trần và tài zỏi zô song...
Dù thật ra nàng vừa không đẹp, lại cũng chẳng tài ba con heo gì...

-.-

Vừa đọc vừa giật mình thon thót! o.o
Dù không có cái nhẫn hay bông hồng nào, từ nay cũng không thể nghe theo dư luận...
Chỉ có thể tự khen mình giỏi
Hannah
Thackeray at his best. Funny, cute, and not too long, with some good insights into character now and then, and fancy illustrations from the author himself.
Sani
amazing satire... amazing book, it's been along time since I read such thing though it was intended for my kids buy I enjoyed more and more
Alyssa Lane
It's pretty cute, and I'm sure I would have loved it as a kid, especially if someone was reading it to me in a bunch of voices. The crazy names are the best part and often clever.
Constance Boniful
Hilarious, light, funnhy, cunning... I felt as though i was reading Diderot.. I loved every second of it !
Tyler
This book is a Renaissance fairy tale written by an author who lived in the Victorian era. I would place this story up with Peter Pan and The Wizard of Oz. It is well-written, completely clean, and suitable for all who can read. The plot consists of a prince who has lost his kingdom to his uncle, a maid taken into the castle, a spoiled princess, a well-meaning fairy, an ugly prince, a horrid old hag, and a rose and a ring, both of which are enchanted to make the owners of them extraordinarily b ...more
Jeffrey
Thackeray's charming fairy tale is a delight!
Valentina
Great parody of a fairy tale.
Krisette Spangler
I absolutely loved this darling fairy tale. It was hard to believe the author of Vanity Fair was able to write a story like this. If you like James Thurber's children's tales, I think you'll really enjoy this.

It's difficult to find a copy of this story anymore. You can read it online at the Gutenberg project, or you can download it for free on your kindle or pc at Amazon.
Mara
Normally, I don't use words like "charming" and "amusing," but in this case, those are entirely appropriate. I enjoyed this lighthearted fairy tale. I was wondering whether is was really worth my time, but once the magic fairy ring starts getting passed around, the story becomes quite entertaining. It was originally written for children, and I can see older children still enjoying it.
Helen Farrell
Hilarious. I loved this as a child - something that pleased my mother greatly, as she was able to say, when I was ten years old, that I was reading Thackeray. She never let on about the title.

The characters are outrageous stereotypes of the worst in human nature - calling to mind the more thoughtful depictions of the same people in Vanity Fair.
Rosita
I read this back to back with The Book of Snobs and what a big difference it was! The Rose and the Ring was concise and absolutely fun to read! Unfortunately the copy I have is missing the illustrations (I only realized what I missed from the other reviews) =(
Cara Amor
Loved it as a kid when I found this little red tome on a forgotten bookshelf (as if by magic!)... Love it as an adult as it speaks eloquently to our 'looks-obsessed' culture.... It remains magical!
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
I like it very much. It reminds me of good and old days Japanese animations. They were very comical. So be the same. I think Japanese Animation is influenced by this piece. I enjoyed it.
Melanie
This was a fun and charming book. It reminded me both of Midsummer Night's Dream and, oddly, The Marriage of Figaro. Silly and fun. And who knew that Thackeray could be concise!
Doug
One of his Christmas books written under the pseudonym Titmarsh. A somewhat engaging children's book on the benefits of overcoming adversity in the formation of character.
Amy
A ridiculous, enchanting parody of a fairy tale that I really quite enjoyed. It was silly but charming and overall a good, humerous read for the fairy-tale lover.
  • Karolcia
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
  • Akademia Pana Kleksa (Pan Kleks #1)
  • Puc, Bursztyn i goście
  • Śluby panieńskie
  • Once on a Time
  • Histoires inédites du Petit Nicolas (Histoires inédites Du Petit Nicolas, #2)
  • The Otterbury Incident
  • Hide and Seek
  • With Clive in India
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • Wakacje z duchami
  • Nobody's Family Is Going to Change
  • Szatan z siódmej klasy
  • The Prime Minister
  • The Brothers Grimm Volume 2: 110 Grimmer Fairy Tales
  • Dziewczyna i chłopak czyli heca na 14 fajerek
Thackeray, an only child, was born in Calcutta, India, where his father, Richmond Thackeray (1 September 1781 – 13 September 1815), held the high rank of secretary to the board of revenue in the British East India Company. His mother, Anne Becher (1792–1864) was the second daughter of Harriet and John Harman Becher and was also a secretary (writer) for the East India Company.

William had been sent
More about William Makepeace Thackeray...
Vanity Fair Barry Lyndon The History of Henry Esmond, Esq. The Book of Snobs The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes & Misfortunes, His Friends & His Greatest Enemy