Start by marking “The Rose and the Ring” as Want to Read:
The Rose and the Ring

The Rose and the Ring

This clear print title is set in Tiresias 13pt font for easy reading
Published September 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1855)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose and the Ring, please sign up.

Cheryl Sure, at gutenberg.org. Goodreads is a cataloguing and social site, not a vendor or publisher.

Althea Ann
According to the author's introduction, this was intended to be put on as a dramatic presentation, or pantomime, at Christmastime, for children.

It was indeed published at Christmas (1854), but I'm not at all convinced that the main intended audience was children. This is, technically, a fairy tale, but it's mainly a political and social satire, caricaturing the events and personalities of the day. I'm quite certain that quite a lot of the humor flew past me, but it seems that it was quite timely
Grace
Apr 23, 2010 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious biting satire about monarchies, heroes, heroines and Victorian mores, all in a faux-fairytale wrapper with illustrations and footnotes on each page, that when read in succession, make a poem describing the story's events.
I LOVE my 1934 Macmillan & Co edition with its red hardback cover embossed with Mr Gruffanuff as a doorknocker.
Dec 21, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Unable to find any Christmas entertainment, Thackeray invents his own fireside pantomime - a story of kings, princesses, lions and battles. Stars Prunella Scales and Maureen Lipman.
Perry Whitford
Written initially by Thackeray as a 'fireside pantomime' in order to entertain some children while he was holidaying in Rome during the Christmas of 1854, 'The Rose and the Ring' is a mock fairy tale of misplaced heirs, malignant tyrants and magical amulets - an affable ancestor to the likes of The Princess Bride and Stardust. if you will.

The fictional and very ancient (the story is set 'ten or twenty thousand years ago'!) kingdoms of Paflagonia and Crim Tartary, always at war, have both been us
Stella
Jul 16, 2012 Stella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it...still do! :)
Lobo
Aug 17, 2012 Lobo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Rózsa és a gyűrűben az a zseniális, hogy amikor kislányként olvastam, maga a történet nyűgözött le, felnőttként pedig a könnyedén adagolt irónia. Tündérmese-regény, kicsit másképp, mint megszoktuk, ugyanakkor megvan benne a délceg királyfi és a neki rendelt hányattatott sorsú királylány, de az egész teljesen felrázva és megkeverve. Mert főhőseink keresztanyja egy renegát tündér, aki ahelyett, hogy valami olyan tulajdonsággal ruházná fel őket, amellyel lazán végiglavíroznák az életüket, csupán ...more
K.
It would have been fun to be a child who got to listen to Thackeray's fireside tales! I've been wanting to get my hands on this book for years, thank you paperbackswap!! Delightful little satirical "fairy tale" that I think I'll be reading to my children sometime in the near future. This copy (perhaps all of them?) has illustrations by Thackeray himself, which I find so fun--especially when he says things like "...and it looked just like this..." above one of his drawings. I just think that adds ...more
Helen Farrell
Apr 07, 2013 Helen Farrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. I loved this as a child - something that pleased my mother greatly, as she was able to say, when I was ten years old, that I was reading Thackeray. She never let on about the title.

The characters are outrageous stereotypes of the worst in human nature - calling to mind the more thoughtful depictions of the same people in Vanity Fair.
Rosita
Jan 24, 2012 Rosita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this back to back with The Book of Snobs and what a big difference it was! The Rose and the Ring was concise and absolutely fun to read! Unfortunately the copy I have is missing the illustrations (I only realized what I missed from the other reviews) =(
Lora
Jun 08, 2014 Lora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I couldn't finish Vanity Fair and I couldn't finish this. The satire was too carefully spelled out, the fairy tale aspects just reminded me of how many fairy tales I've read, and the characters couldn't keep my attention. I'm glad he's out there for other people, but dang. I give up on Thackeray.
Sani
Dec 12, 2014 Sani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing satire... amazing book, it's been along time since I read such thing though it was intended for my kids but I enjoyed more and more
Bettie☯
Constance Moriarty
Hilarious, light, funnhy, cunning... I felt as though i was reading Diderot.. I loved every second of it !
Amy
Feb 27, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A ridiculous, enchanting parody of a fairy tale that I really quite enjoyed. It was silly but charming and overall a good, humerous read for the fairy-tale lover.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
I like it very much. It reminds me of good and old days Japanese animations. They were very comical. So be the same. I think Japanese Animation is influenced by this piece. I enjoyed it.
Cara Amor
Sep 09, 2013 Cara Amor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as a kid when I found this little red tome on a forgotten bookshelf (as if by magic!)... Love it as an adult as it speaks eloquently to our 'looks-obsessed' culture.... It remains magical!
Alyssa Lane
It's pretty cute, and I'm sure I would have loved it as a kid, especially if someone was reading it to me in a bunch of voices. The crazy names are the best part and often clever.
Lynne
Mar 04, 2009 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a novelette and it's very funny. I read it when in 8th grade first, then later as an adult. Thackeray at his most playful. Tons of fun.
Liss Capello
I do love some cynical Thackeray satire, and nobody does it quite like him. This story is written for children as a holiday-time pageant (probably complete with puppets), so it's simple and has a happy ending with a morally-sound conclusion, but it is full of clever commentary and portraiture for the characters. And they are dreadfully funny characters. I enjoyed the lions, and the fairy Blackstick who has to put up with so much nonsense, and the way the final chapter echoed the Merchant of Veni ...more
Luan Le
May 20, 2017 Luan Le rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truyện đọc cực kỳ hài hước và đầy ý nghĩa.
Suzannah
May 09, 2017 Suzannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, classics, humour
A complete hoot and just as much fun as I remember.

Full review to come :)
Robby Charters
Nov 25, 2015 Robby Charters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when I was about 9 or 10. Many of the images have stuck with me, and have influenced some of my own writing. To find it again, I did a search, and was rewarded by a few electronic editions that were downloadable for free -- however, without the illustrations. This particular book loses a lot if it doesn't include illustrations. The very first line reads, "This is Valoroso XXIV., King of Paflagonia, seated with his queen and only child at their royal breakfast-table..." In the a ...more
KathKin
Mar 07, 2017 KathKin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get past the first page in this book, because I abhor books which are written in the present tense.
Mary
A quaint little fairy tale, there aren't many surprises here if you have read many fairy tales before. Then again, the author rather expects that. This story follows Betsinda, Giglio, Angelica and Bulbo as they grow from children into adults, have adventures, and (for 2 of them) take control of the kingdoms. It pokes fun at traditional fairy tales while at the same time delivering several serious messages about education, kindness, and honor.
This book is much more enjoyable when it is understo
Nấm Hương
Ngày xửa, ngày xưa, ở một vương quốc xa xôi xí quách, có nàng công chúa xinh đẹp tuyệt trần và tài giỏi vô song.
Tất cả những người xung quanh đều yêu quý, ngưỡng mộ và luôn luôn ca ngợi nàng.
Cho đến một lúc nọ, nàng bắt đầu tin rằng mình quả là xinh đẹp tiệc trần và tài zỏi zô song...
Dù thật ra nàng vừa không đẹp, lại cũng chẳng tài ba con heo gì...

-.-

Vừa đọc vừa giật mình thon thót! o.o
Dù không có cái nhẫn hay bông hồng nào, từ nay cũng không thể nghe theo dư luận...
Chỉ có thể tự khen mình giỏi
Tyler
Nov 14, 2008 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a Renaissance fairy tale written by an author who lived in the Victorian era. I would place this story up with Peter Pan and The Wizard of Oz. It is well-written, completely clean, and suitable for all who can read. The plot consists of a prince who has lost his kingdom to his uncle, a maid taken into the castle, a spoiled princess, a well-meaning fairy, an ugly prince, a horrid old hag, and a rose and a ring, both of which are enchanted to make the owners of them extraordinarily b ...more
Lynne
Jun 28, 2015 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favourite childhood read, and thanks to a Radio 4 Extra broadcast, a delightful rediscovery. Absolutely barmy, cod Italianate name, silly magic and memories of Kenneth Williams reading this in his glorious camp nasal pomp have made this a very happy experience all over again. It's just a shame that the Amazon edition that arrived appeared to be little more than a computer print out cobbled together with a pre-Raph postcard. What it lacked in appearance, was, thankfully more than made up for by t ...more
Tara
Jul 11, 2015 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Oh my, what a fun read. It's a satirical fairy tale, and I recommend it to any of my friends that love a good fairy tale. It is also hilarious, just the names alone will have you chuckling, and there's some a good moral in what it takes to build good character. I reserve 5 star ratings for books I would read more than once, and this was such a quick, easy read, I would definitely give it another go. I don't think I'm finished with Thackeray yet.
Krisette Spangler
Jan 17, 2010 Krisette Spangler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
I absolutely loved this darling fairy tale. It was hard to believe the author of Vanity Fair was able to write a story like this. If you like James Thurber's children's tales, I think you'll really enjoy this.

It's difficult to find a copy of this story anymore. You can read it online at the Gutenberg project, or you can download it for free on your kindle or pc at Amazon.
Wreade1872
A delightful fairytale parody. You have the usual suspects, fairy-godmothers, princes and princesses, magic etc. But it doesn't take itself seriously and even critiques the fairytale tropes a bit.
Not much else to say other than it ended on a particularly high note which was great as so many things i read tend to fall down a bit during the finale.
  • Karolcia
  • Plastusiowy Pamiętnik
  • Histoires inédites du Petit Nicolas (Histoires inédites Du Petit Nicolas, #2)
  • Akademia Pana Kleksa (Pan Kleks #1)
  • The Otterbury Incident
  • 120 przygód Koziołka Matołka. Ks. 1
  • Tajemnica zielonej pieczęci
  • Hide and Seek
  • Wakacje z duchami
  • Puc, Bursztyn i goście
  • Nobody's Family Is Going to Change
  • Once on a Time
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • The Bertrams
  • Śluby panieńskie
  • Nawiedzony dom (Janeczka i Pawełek, #1)
  • Doctor Dolittle
Thackeray, an only child, was born in Calcutta, India, where his father, Richmond Thackeray (1 September 1781 – 13 September 1815), held the high rank of secretary to the board of revenue in the British East India Company. His mother, Anne Becher (1792–1864) was the second daughter of Harriet and John Harman Becher and was also a secretary (writer) for the East India Company.

William had been sent
More about William Makepeace Thackeray...