Start by marking “Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6)” as Want to Read:
Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6)

Second Shot (Charlie Fox #6)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Charlie Fox, ex-Special Forces soldier turned bodyguard, has a new client: a lottery millionairess mother who is looking for protection from a nuisance ex. She escapes him and the scrutiny of the press by going to America, where Charlie struggles to get to the bottom of what is jeopardising her assignment.
Hardcover, UK, 398 pages
Published August 2007 by Allison & Busby (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Second Shot, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Pam (E.P. Scott)
Another great installment in the Charlie Fox series. This one had me guessing right up until the end which, for me, shows the writing maturity of the author, even though she's been writing a long time and had written many books.

She is a new author for me and I like seeing how the writing progresses as the author continues to write. With her first book, I had the bad guy pegged around the halfway mark. Second Shot (book six) was a treat that kept me turning pages to find out whodunit.

And it was a
Not as good a story as the earlier books. It was a bit long-winded & didn't hold my interest as well as the others. Marked down because I'm tired of the soul-searching: the antagonists would have killed Charlie without a quiver of conscience, so she can be good or she can be dead. I wish Sharp would just let her get on with it. Let the father do his bit, but stop Charlie helping him undermine her. I'm going to have a break from these for a while because one more time - did I have a choice? o ...more
Best Crime Books & More
It’s been a while since I read a book in the Charlie Fox series and then once I get back into them I seem to want to stay there. I started with book 5, and then went straight onto this one. I must say this book for me stood out from the first few pages. Charlie and Sean meet up with their new client Simone and her daughter Ella. It seems that the attention her ex-boyfriend is paying her is verging on dangerous. From the first few chapters we get to see a new side to Charlie. In previous books sh ...more
Best Crime Books & More
#6 in the Charlie Fox series. This 2007 novel is the second in the series to be published in the U.S. after #4 First Drop (2006). The four published in England may be more difficult to locate and the British slang is sometimes obscure but the series about a female self-defense expert and bodyguard is well worth making the effort.

Charlotte “Charlie” Fox series - The latest assignment for bodyguard Charlie Fox ends in a bloody shootout in a frozen forest of New Hampshire with her left fighting for
I didn't realise that this was book 6 in a series but I'm not one to be put off because of reading books out of order (it happens so frequently after all!. Anyhow, I knew I was going to enjoy it right from the opening line of "Take it from me, getting shot hurts like hell"....& I wasn't disappointed, I did enjoy it :o)

The characters were all credible, the action was fast paced & full of twists & turns - it had me hooked, one of those books I literally couldn't put down.
There's an en
Michael Sova
Helpless, vulnerable, insecure, fragile--these are not words we'd generally use to describe a literary hero. Too often, our heroes are larger than life. They never fail. They never falter. They never take a punch. We love them for their strength, and willingly overlook their total lack of any weakness. Such heroes are inspiring if not always entirely convincing.
In the opening pages of Second Shot by Zoe Sharp, it's almost painfully clear that British body guard Charlie Fox is no such hero. Sh
PROTAGONIST: Charlie Fox, bodyguard
SERIES: #2 of 6

Charlie Fox is a former British Army soldier who's taking advantage of the skills that she developed during that career to become a close protection agent (bodyguard). Involved in a personal and professional relationship with her boss, Sean Meyer, she agrees to protect a recent lottery winner, Simone Kerse, and her 4-year old daughter, Emma, from her obsessed ex-boyfriend. Simone decides to use some of her newfound wealt
Being interested in reading series mystery/detectives I ran across Zoe Sharp during my aimless wandering through book worlds online. I admit, reading the reviews I was skeptical as to whether or not I'd like this book for the simple reason that I'm interested in a particular type of hero (principled but tempted by physical violence, alone in the world by choice but always tempted to abandon this lifestyle). Female main characters usually do not fit this model if my previous reads are any indicat ...more
Susan Millard)
Jul 31, 2012 Susan Millard) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Zoe Sharp
I find all Zoe's work hard to put down and this didn't break the mould. Second Shot is the first of the Charlie Fox series to introduce a child character into the mix. It shows us a softer side of Charlie's make-up. She obviously can't be a parent as well as doing the work she is naturally fitted for, but guarding a mother with a four-year-old brings her maternal instincts to the fore. That they're distinctly tigerish should be no surprise to readers of this series.

The "second shot" of the title
Second shot is another of Charlie Fox's stories. The main character, Charlie Fox, albeit reluctantly accepts an easy job as a body guard in the USA. The "principal" and her daughter come to a large sum of money which makes them a target of tabloids, an ex, bankers and so on. The easy "job" was to keep the principal and her daughter to keep them safe from elements while in US in search of her long missing father, which turns into a nightmare upon their arrival to the USA (what with the principal ...more
SECOND SHOT (Lic. Invest-Charlie Fox-London, Boston, New Hampshire-Cont) - Poor
Sharp, Zoë – 6th in series
Thomas Dunne Books, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 0312358954

First Sentence: Take it from me, getting yourself shot hurts like hell.

Simone Kerde won multi-millions in the lottery and her greatest wish is to get to know the father that left them when she was very young. She is being hounded by the press and feels threatened by her ex-boyfriend, the father of her 4-year-old daughter.

Private bodygu
The Cats Mother
I was given this by a friend with the advice "she's the female Jack Reacher", but because I like to read series in order I tracked down the 5 previous instalments as ebooks and read them all first. I think each book could be read as a standalone but you get much more from them by knowing the backstory. In this one Charlie takes a job guarding a young woman who has recently won millions on the lottery and needs protection for herself and her 4 yr old daughter while she tracks down her estranged f ...more
The adventures of Charlie Fox, current bodyguard and former British Army soldier, just get better and better. The opening scene in this sixth entry finds Charlie slowly bleeding to death in the snow in New Hampshire and the thrills never stop as we discover what happens to her charges. Highly recommended.
Cluessister Williams
I was impressed with Zoe Sharp when I heard her speak and demonstrate self-defense techniques at Left Coast Crime. The books are equally detailed and occasionally wince-worthy. Her heroine gets real wounds but even on crutches finds a way to stop the bad guys.
I was also intrigued to discover the further adventures of Frances Neagley. Since I know the non-fiction Frances Neagley this was great fun for me. Frances became a character in Lee Child's "Bad Luck and Trouble" after winning an auction
I stayed up too late to finish this, a sign that I was enjoying it. Charlie is body guarding a woman who had won the lottery and as a result of it, tracks down the father who left when she was young. Lots of twists and turns, and her "father" ends up being a fake. Charlie ends up shot again, which begins to be a bit of a disturbing factor.....she is soon going to be more scars than un damaged body parts...but I guess it is all for the story. She and boyfriend Sean continue to heat up.

When the la
Gary Van Cott
3.5 Stars. I thought this book was ok. It took a while to become interesting. I like the Charlie Fox character. I think the author does a bit better with characters than she does with the plot.
I just realized that the numbering system for Zoe's books is not exact! I read First Drop, thinking it was the first book. Uh oh. It wasn't until I finished Second Shot that I realized I was way off. Oh well. Each book stands alone anyway. But I have the feeling that I will get the back story better after reading the preceding ones. This story is again in the US. Charlie is a bodyguard to a young woman and her 4 year old daughterfrom England who won the lottery and is using her money to find her ...more
Charlie reluctantly heads across the pond again and she's still so not impressed. This book in a great series showed a side of Charlie even she didn't know existed. The action is again from the first to the last chapter and is filled with intrigue that makes you want to read faster,the words leaping off the page at you before your eyes can really register reading them. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so just read the damn book,I guarantee you won't be sorry. Charlie is the Master,cracking ch ...more
I have enjoyed all the Charlie Fox mysteries but this one was my favourite so far. I love that Charlie is not immune to the dangers of the type of work she is employed in and that she can't just bounce right back from injury. I'm intrigued by her relationship with her father and hope we get to see more of that dynamic, especially now that Sean has made his opinion known. Each book brings out a bit more of Charlie's character, including her struggle to come to terms with some of the things she mu ...more
I did not like that the book started out with an event that occurs later in the timeline of the book. Right off you know not all of the main characters make it out alive. Often times I was anxious about what was happening so the author really could write a quality tense situation. It would have been very helpful to have read the previous books in the series. Many times there are references to previous happenings that aren't mentioned with much detail. One of the big twists/mysteries was easy for ...more
I have really enjoyed this author's writing for the last couple of weeks. I just discovered her, and based on a recommendation by Lee Child, I downloaded the first 6 of the Charlie Fox books. Some of these were better than others, but Second Shot was the best of the bunch for me. Outstanding features of this book: Sharp's use of language - her precise vocabulary and vivid descriptions; the realism of her characters - especially Charlie Fox; the pace of the action.
Good characters and a clever plot. Zoe Sharp started at a key point in the story then backtracked to show how the characters got to that point. In my experience as a reader, this is a tricky plot structure to pull off, but she did it really well. She didn't start quite at the end of her story, and quickly made it clear that she hadn't told the reader everything there was to know about her opening scene, so she kept my interest all through the book.
I am so glad that I stumbled upon this Charlie Fox series. She is such a great character and the books are always so exciting. This book is another strong one in the series. It opens with a bang (literally and figuratively) then flashes back a week or so and keeps you on the edge of your seat trying to figure out how events are going to lead you back to the opening scene. Well done. I am looking forward to more of Charlie Fox.
Doug Branscombe
I've been reading this series out of order and didn't really like this one as much as the previous 2 that I'd read. The plot near the end was much more complicated than I thought it needed to be and I had a bit of a hard time following the motive for actions taken by some of the characters. I did appreciate that some of the story took place in North Conway, NH, as that's less than an hour from where I grew up.
This is another amazing additional to the Charlie Fox series! It starts with a bang and never stops. This is a series and character that I will always look for the next book immediately. Zoe Sharp has created a character for men and women who love mysteries/thrillers. She is so three dimensional and evolving that I want to be her friend in real life. MORE PLEASE!
The more I read this series, the more I like it. The first couple in the series had some ups and downs but as Ms Sharp was progressed with the storyline, the books have gotten more involved and gripping.

See the rest of my review here.
Not bad action/thriller. BUT bodyguard Charlie Fox's client gets shot and killed on page 4, and in the ensuing backstory it turns out that she is so seriously annoying (in spite of being the Devoted Mother of an Adorable Child) that you wish it had happened much much sooner. Or that Charlie had been the one to shoot her.
Charlie Fox is a convincing character as a bodyguard who gets herself into a variety of interesting situations while carrying out her duties. The series by this author is a little hard-boiled for me. Character development is minimal -- she just plows on through to the adventure part of the story.
Enjoyed this a lot. Was surprised to learn that this the 6th book in the series as it read very well as a stand alone crime thriller in it's own right. I may have to seek out the previous books from the library, as well as reading the follow up!
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • Blood Lines (Sarah Armstrong, #2)
  • A Calm Before Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Outlaw (Robin Monarch, #2)
  • The Depths
  • Lake Country: A Novel
  • Dark Mirror (Brock & Kolla, #10)
  • Lust, Money & Murder (Lust, Money & Murder, #1-3)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #10)
  • Death in the Garden
  • Cuban Sun (Sofia Koury, #1)
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)
  • At the City's Edge
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • The Good Son (J. McNee, #1)
  • House Justice (Joe DeMarco, #5)
  • The Psalter
  • Blood and Honey (DI Joe Faraday, #6)
Zoë Sharp spent most of her formative years living aboard a catamaran on the northwest coast of England. She opted out of mainstream education at the age of twelve and wrote her first novel at fifteen. She became a freelance photojournalist in 1988 and started writing her Charlie Fox crime thriller series after receiving death-threats in the course of her work.
More about Zoë Sharp...

Charlie Fox (10 books)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Riot Act (Charlie Fox Thriller, #2)
  • Hard Knocks (Charlie Fox Thriller #3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox Thriller #5)
  • Third Strike (Charlie Fox Thriller #7)
  • Fourth Day (Charlie Fox Thriller, #8)
  • Fifth Victim (Charlie Fox Thriller, #9)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)