Start by marking “Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Step-by-step guides to self-improvement that introduce the methods of the highly regarded cognitive behavioral therapy technique to help readers conquer a broad range of disabling conditions-from worry to body image problems to obsessive compulsive disorder and more. The accessible, straightforward, and practical books in the Overcoming series treat disorders by changing u ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Basic Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness

Jonathan-David Jackson
This book seems to be filled with lots of great, useful information. It contains a complete plan for freeing yourself from social anxiety. The only problem is that I'm too lazy to follow all the steps, so I will soon be checking out the book Overcoming Laziness.
Alex
This is the first time I've read a self-help book and I found it immensely helpful, especially when utilized alongside therapy, my men's support group, and daily writing and journaling. The book is focused on helping you overcome social anxiety and shyness, as you might be able to guess from the title. It does a pretty good job, presenting the tools of cognitive behavioral therapy in very simple and effective ways, and backed up with plenty of exercises and hands-on activities so you can put the ...more
Ruby
Nov 15, 2014 Ruby added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I guess I've finished reading this (although I wasn't really reading it linearly), as I've finally had to hand it back to the library after starting work there a week ago, so that none of my colleagues would find out I'd been reading a self help book (the horror! the shame!). So perhaps the book didn't work 100% lol : ))

But still! Fairly solid advice, based on CBT, which I knew the gist of but it was nice to have worked through examples that were applicable to me. I found a lot of the exercises
Janet
Having had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy treatment, , and then reading this book, i found it not much help at all, sorry to say.
Susan
Biased, inaccurate thinking can include: predicting faults ahead of time, mind-reading and catastrophizing during an event, and dwelling on a post mortem after an event. Have to agree there.
Lots of useful information in this book to help explain the hazards, and ways to prevent, living in a personal world ruled by anxiety. I'd give it 5 stars if it came with a therapist who'd followup with you to make sure you write in your journal regularly like you're supposed to. :-)
I couldn't even get into this book. I tried reading this with my partner and even he had difficulty. I thought that the first chapter was just packed with too much information and the author was trying to cram in everything she knew into one sentence. It was not very well written at all, so if you want a simple straight to book I don't recommend this book!
Mohammad
The best self-help book I've read. It's practical and applicable. It's provided with worksheets to write down your thinking patterns and follow your progress. CBT sounds scientific and well-researched. I will read the book again at a slower pace to get the most out of it and apply the work step by step.
Sherouq
It's easier said than done,It's really difficult but I'll try my best :)
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
*Bought in the UK Kindle Reading Marathon sale (Jul 2012).
Cansu
everything I already know but in book form
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Adrina
Adrina marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Wendy Braga
Wendy Braga marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Grace Fetterman
Grace Fetterman marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Ioana Zorbescu
Ioana Zorbescu marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Luis Jimenez
Luis Jimenez is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Edilson
Edilson marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Sam Horam
Sam Horam marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Muhammad Iqbal
Muhammad Iqbal marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Debra Williams
Debra Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Wesley Wilburn
Wesley Wilburn marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • How to Be an Adult: A Handbook for Psychological and Spiritual Integration
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety
  • Zeno and the Tortoise: How to Think Like a Philosopher
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • The Circle
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • Essential Words for the GRE
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • Don't Panic: Taking Control of Anxiety Attacks
  • Overcoming Low Self Esteem: A Self Help Guide To Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
  • In Rude Health: The funniest and most explicit stories from the NHS
  • The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do
Psychology: A Very Short Introduction Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Books on Prescription Title: A Books on Prescription Title Psychology Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Anxiety Disorders: Mastering Clinical Challenges