Start by marking “Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques” as Want to Read:

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Step-by-step guides to self-improvement that introduce the methods of the highly regarded cognitive behavioral therapy technique to help readers conquer a broad range of disabling conditions-from worry to body image problems to obsessive compulsive disorder and more. The accessible, straightforward, and practical books in the Overcoming series treat disorders by changing u ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Basic Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness

Jonathan-David Jackson
This book seems to be filled with lots of great, useful information. It contains a complete plan for freeing yourself from social anxiety. The only problem is that I'm too lazy to follow all the steps, so I will soon be checking out the book Overcoming Laziness.
Léonard Gaya
May 26, 2015 Léonard Gaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who has never felt awkward, out of place or otherwise inhibited when relating to other people? I for one, plead guilty! The aim of this book, which (as stated in the sub-title) is a self-help manual, is to shed some light on this rather widespread psychological phenomenon that, generally speaking, we refer to a “shyness”.

It is in fact a form of anxiety disorder, meaning: a feeling of distress that is out of proportions considering the actual situation we are in. Each individual is sensitive to d
Alex
Jul 18, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read a self-help book and I found it immensely helpful, especially when utilized alongside therapy, my men's support group, and daily writing and journaling. The book is focused on helping you overcome social anxiety and shyness, as you might be able to guess from the title. It does a pretty good job, presenting the tools of cognitive behavioral therapy in very simple and effective ways, and backed up with plenty of exercises and hands-on activities so you can put the ...more
Ruby
Nov 15, 2014 Ruby added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I guess I've finished reading this (although I wasn't really reading it linearly), as I've finally had to hand it back to the library after starting work there a week ago, so that none of my colleagues would find out I'd been reading a self help book (the horror! the shame!). So perhaps the book didn't work 100% lol : ))

But still! Fairly solid advice, based on CBT, which I knew the gist of but it was nice to have worked through examples that were applicable to me. I found a lot of the exercises
Stine Fleming
Jun 29, 2015 Stine Fleming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sengebord
I've read the Danish version, in that translation the style was very American and the examples seemed very American, but the gist of the matter was clear and the tools were very helpful, once you start aktually using them on a regular basis. I definitly reccommend it to people struggling with anxieties concerning how you percieve others percieving you :-)
Janet
Jun 16, 2014 Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
Having had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy treatment, , and then reading this book, i found it not much help at all, sorry to say.
Susan
Mar 19, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biased, inaccurate thinking can include: predicting faults ahead of time, mind-reading and catastrophizing during an event, and dwelling on a post mortem after an event. Have to agree there.
Lots of useful information in this book to help explain the hazards, and ways to prevent, living in a personal world ruled by anxiety. I'd give it 5 stars if it came with a therapist who'd followup with you to make sure you write in your journal regularly like you're supposed to. :-)
Jul 11, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't even get into this book. I tried reading this with my partner and even he had difficulty. I thought that the first chapter was just packed with too much information and the author was trying to cram in everything she knew into one sentence. It was not very well written at all, so if you want a simple straight to book I don't recommend this book!
Mohammad
Mar 01, 2016 Mohammad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best self-help book I've read. It's practical and applicable. It's provided with worksheets to write down your thinking patterns and follow your progress. CBT sounds scientific and well-researched. I will read the book again at a slower pace to get the most out of it and apply the work step by step.
Sherouq
Sep 14, 2013 Sherouq rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easier said than done,It's really difficult but I'll try my best :)
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
*Bought in the UK Kindle Reading Marathon sale (Jul 2012).
Cansu
Apr 19, 2014 Cansu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
everything I already know but in book form
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
steve
steve rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
may fhrannie
may fhrannie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Bill Lalonde
Bill Lalonde is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Bigyax
Bigyax rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Farhan
Farhan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Kathrine Reigstad
Kathrine Reigstad is currently reading it
May 06, 2016
Bran Stormer
Bran Stormer marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
B B
B B marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Florin Broqi
Florin Broqi marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Blacku
Blacku marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Nera
Nera marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • How to Be an Adult: A Handbook on Psychological and Spiritual Integration
  • Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Messages: The Communication Skills Book
  • Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • You've Got Dragons
  • Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors
  • Overcoming Low Self Esteem: A Self Help Guide To Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
  • Food Chaining: The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems, and Expand Your Child's Diet
  • I Love You But I Don't Trust You: The Complete Guide to Restoring Trust in Your Relationship
  • The Bad Doctor