The Spiritual Life

The Spiritual Life

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  10 reviews
An uplifting description of the pursuit of the spiritual life, written by one of the greatest mystics of the twentieth century, who describes not only the spiritual state of communing with God but also the state of cooperating with God
Published December 1st 2000 by Ariel Press (first published September 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiritual Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiritual Life

Katy
Underhill is a great mystic and wonderful writer. If you are looking for an introduction to the spiritual life, this is a good read. You have to keep it in historical context though. This book was written based on broadcasts she did in the 1930s. It was a time when all things spiritual in nature was ruled by men. Wemon were not teachers in the church. Given that linces I think it explains some of the things she writes that didn't jive with me (ie, not concerning yourself with the politics of the...more
Pranada Comtois
I think this elegant, little book is as important as Underhill's seminal work "Mysticism," which is a tome. I find myself underlining many passages I want to revisit and think deeply about. Though Ms. Underhill died in 1941, her books are spiritual classics. Though I'm a follower of another metaphysical path, I'm grateful that she boldly wrote. I found this an important addition to my library.

Blake Chenoweth
This book always leaves me silent for a few hours after I read it. It is one of my favorites when thinking about the spiritual life. Ms. Underhill writes in a way that brings out the quietness of her life. She never traveled far from her home and loved working in the garden and experiencing the spiritual life from that.

Another short read of a 100 or so pages that every Christian should read in their lifetime. Blesses me greatly every time.
Jeff
An excellent book for a quick reminder on what's important in life. Not many digressions into examples, hypotheticals, or stories, which would have made this book better, but the lack of those things made it readable in two days. While the book is 3-stars, the ideas in it are undoubtedly 5-star material.
Ramarie
I love it when one book leads me to another...that's how I got hold of this one. It's apparently one of the spiritual classics. It's a short book that speaks to cooperation and communion with God as keys to the spiritual life.
Patrick\
Underhill always are her best with big-picture explication, less with material more personal - after all, isn't the personal privately for each of us? Make your own how-to handbook. I say.
booklady
Couldn't put it down--read it in 3 days. It was a charming book! Only pocket-sized and 124 pages (double spaced). Found it on my shelves last night (31 Mar 08) and hope to reread it.
Dean P.
A good, succinct discussion of the spiritual life in the Christian walk from a leading voice on the topic. It's a quick read and leaves you with a few nice takeaways.
Brandon
Underhill is one of my favorites. This is a good one to be introduced to her writing.
S
clarity simplicity and profundity
Bernardo de Lima
Bernardo de Lima marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Cloud
Cloud marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Pauline Apilado
Pauline Apilado marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Emily Goldberg
Emily Goldberg marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Evelyn Underhill was an English Anglo-Catholic writer and pacifist known for her numerous works on religion and spiritual practice, in particular Christian mysticism.

In the English-speaking world, she was one of the most widely read writers on such matters in the first half of the twentieth century. No other book of its type—until the appearance in 1946 of Aldous Huxley's The Perennial Philosophy—...more
More about Evelyn Underhill...
Mysticism: A Study in the Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness Practical Mysticism; and, Abba: Meditations on the Lord's Prayer Practical Mysticism The Ways of the Spirit Concerning the Inner Life