The Essential Dickinson

The Essential Dickinson

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Emily Dickinson saw fewer than twenty of her 1,775 poems published during her lifetime: when she died in 1886, her obscurity as a poet was nearly total. Now widely recognized as one of the great American poets of the nineteenth century, she is one of a handful from any period whose enduring stature in the world of letters is matched by the loyal affection of generation aft...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Ecco (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Dickinson

Leslie
I had always thought of Emily Dickinson as a bit too precious for my tastes. But when a friend of mine recited from "It was not Death for I Stood up/ And all the Dead -- Lie down," I decided it was time I investigated the poet's more melancholy side.

All my original preconceptions of Miss Dickinson were completely idiotic and I owe her a thousand apologies.

I've never liked huge volumes of poetry, and this one is satisfyingly small and intimate. It offers a wonderful selection of her work, and I v...more
Randy
Since I'm not fully familiar with the entirety of Dickinson's work, I can't comment as to how 'essential' the selected poems in this volume are. Though, superficially, it seems to be a pretty good cross-section.

To this point I hadn't read a ton of Dickinson, knowing her only obliquely through a few scant lines reviewed in some college survey courses. I remembered her mostly as a dark and prickly writer who wrote jagged, slanted verse. I find that initial impression holds largely true. It takes a...more
Sachin
No other poet, in such a remarkable beauty of the lyrical verse, has provided a glimpse into the vision of death and eternity than Dickinson.
"The Famous recluse dressed in white", as she is often addressed, shows her eternal Love for The Master. She firmly believes in the live after death as is also expressed by the title of one of her poems, "The world is not conclusion - a sequel stands beyond".

Evocation of the death scene and portraying death vividly is her major characteristic, besides, she...more
Dennis McKeon
How do you not like Emily Dickinson?

Poetry comforts me. It's one of life's little pleasures.

This volume is a gem.

Amethyst
I read this as I was teaching Dickinson for The Big Read here in Tucson. I very much appreciated Oates' selection of poems (including many I had never seen before) and her introduction to Dickinson.
Kim Kralowec
This is a good pocket-sized selection of Dickinson's poems. Good for someone who is just being introduced to the poet, or who wants a smaller volume to carry around.
Paige
My review is simple. I love the Shakespearean flow of her poetry.
Gail Hill
Poems of Emily Dickinson's life.
Stevenj
Read by Julie Harris
MissSugarTown
MissSugarTown marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Johnathan
Johnathan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Emmy
Emmy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Bennard
Bennard marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Thierry Fofana
Thierry Fofana marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca...more
More about Emily Dickinson...
The Complete Poems Selected Poems The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson Poems (Shambhala Pocket Classics) Final Harvest: Poems