Start by marking “The Scarlatti Inheritance” as Want to Read:
The Scarlatti Inheritance

The Scarlatti Inheritance

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,530 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Her weapons: Money and Power. Her target: The most dangerous man in the world—her son. Elizabeht Wyckman Scarlatti has a plan—a desperate, last-minute gamble—designed to save the world from her own son, Ulster, an incalculably dangerous man who is working under the name of Heinrich Kroeger: Unless she can stop him, he is about to give Hitler's Third Reich the most powerful ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Orion (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlatti Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlatti Inheritance

The Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Bourne Supremacy by Robert LudlumThe Bourne Ultimatum by Robert LudlumThe Matarese Circle by Robert LudlumThe Holcroft Covenant by Robert Ludlum
Best Robert Ludlum Books
7th out of 47 books — 57 voters
Transfer of Power by Vince FlynnThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyDeception Point by Dan BrownAbsolute Power by David BaldacciProtect and Defend by Vince Flynn
Political Thrillers
70th out of 309 books — 435 voters

More lists with this book...

Richa
Jul 19, 2015 Richa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is good. Robert Ludlum is easy to understand. I especially liked the character of the unconventional, strong, and daring Scarlatti matriarch. A very different heroine.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Even though this is one of the first books Robert Ludlum it is one of the last ones I read so you could imagine my delight when I found this a Ludlum book I haven't yet read during a book drive at my daughter's school.

The book starts in Washington DC where Major Matthew Canfield is being sent to meet a high ranking German official with promises to divulge information to help end WWII.

From the second chapter, to one before last, the story is told as a back flash about the Scarlatti family. Giov
David Swiedler
Nov 13, 2008 David Swiedler rated it really liked it
The Scarlatti Inheritance was recommended to be by a friend who told me that if I liked James Bond, I would like the Robert Ludlum series. The Scarlatti Inheritance tells a truely fascinating story of an American intelligence officer who is hired to determine the status of the Scarlatti fortunes and Ulster Scarlett while being financed by German Nazi's. Ludlum is a very gifted writer and has now become a favorite author that I count on for a fun filled adventure.
Marts  (Thinker)
Nov 08, 2015 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
A Ludlum thriller, overflowing with elements encompassing Nazism, wealth, government intelligence, secrecy... At every junction death is lurking, mental confusion is paramount, suspense at the pinnacle... The reader is taken on an action filled, adventure riddled journey, and every word makes him only yearn for more.
Ru
Sep 30, 2014 Ru rated it really liked it
The first novel written by the late Robert Ludlum, "The Scarlatti Inheritance" is about as classic a cat-and-mouse global thriller can be, from its World War settings, to secret identities, financial machinations, and other grand subterfuge. Any concerns I may have had about Ludlum's work being too layered and unnecessarily complex were put to rest, thankfully, as well.

I am a fan of historical fiction, and this book employs it nicely. By weaving in the Scarlatti/Scarlett family into the setting
VaultOfBooks
Aug 14, 2012 VaultOfBooks rated it really liked it
By Robert Ludlum. Grade: A
Robert Ludlum is the bestselling author of 37 novels once touted as the best in the world with his blend of sophisticated planning and extreme pace. He is best known for The Jason Bourne Series – The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum among others.
According to this story, the Third Reich is in its death struggle. Elizabeth Scarlatti has a plan, a desperate, last-minute gamble, designed to save the world from a most dangerous man – her own son
Mikko Saari
Entertaining thriller. Some of the twists and turns were a bit hard to digest and some of the writing seems a bit rough, but I was entertained enough that I'll read some more Ludlum in the future, I think.
Robert Grant
Not bad. Some of the writing is quite a bit stale for my tastes and the dialogue is just not believable at times. (Shag it all, confound you, confound it all) Nobody talks like that ever. The plot is good-just rough around the edges.
John
Jun 04, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe this was Ludlum's first novel. The plot, which centers around the rise of the Nazi party, is every bit as layered and intricate as what you get with his later work. Less action, though, so readers will have to exercise a higher degree of patience than is usually required from modern thrillers. As is always the case with Ludlum, the story feels incredibly realistic and thoroughly researched. Expect lots of detailed information pertaining to German history and international banking ...more
Saad Farooq
This book was given to me a few years ago by my elder brother as a birthday gift. At that time I was really into Tom Clancy's books & my brother knew this. I thought that the reason for his giving me this book was the similarity between the writings of Robert Ludlum & Tom Clancy. But after reading this book I found out that there are marked differences. Although the genre is same but the writing style is different. Tom Clancy's writing has immense details of the technical aspects of ever ...more
Hertzan Chimera
Dec 13, 2011 Hertzan Chimera rated it really liked it
Great WW2 story, intriguing and folded around basic Nazi facts... there's a dramatic ELITIST BOARD MEETING in the guts of this book that perfectly shows the sheer amorality of the Money Game and how devoid of the natural empathies these fucking banking bastards are; these monsters' motivations laid bare.

Superbly depicted, Robert Ludlum, you are the master.

Carl
Aug 08, 2015 Carl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book that much. It was such a slow read in the beginning that had me putting the book down for days at a time. I felt like trudging through mud at stages. The ending came quite quick and did not feel rounded off and the relationship with the son had an entry and end but no other info for in between. A bit disappointed.
Dick Edwards
Jun 30, 2011 Dick Edwards rated it it was ok
This is a mildly interesting book about an evil man who is attracted to an evil empire, and the mother who recognizes his evil and sets out to stop him. I give this only a 5 on my scale of 1 to 10. I may read some more of his books to see if they get any better. After all, I saw all 3 of the Jason Bourne movies and thought they were great.
Endre Barath
Jun 13, 2011 Endre Barath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got my hand on the orginal 1st edition, 1st book of Robert Ludlum....I read it about 30 years ago...I hardly remember it and after my last book I was ready to read a good one....

I still enjoyed it 30 years later and am glad I re-read it, it was like reading it for the first time the twists and turns were great
Jim
May 25, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I've often grumbled about Robert Ludlum. His books were written in the 1970s and 1980s, so they often feel dated now. This book was written in the 1970s, but it's set during the Second World War, which means the author knew it had the potential to be dated at the start, so it feels less dated, despite being set further in the past.

It's difficult to talk about the plot without giving away the story, but it can be said to focus on the son of an Italian immigrant, who you just know is up to good (h
Sahar Kharrufa
Aug 29, 2011 Sahar Kharrufa rated it really liked it
Quite a good read. Bit naive on the financial issues but not a waste of time.
C.L. Swinney
Jan 06, 2013 C.L. Swinney rated it it was amazing
Impressive book. I wish I could write as well as Ludlum!
Tim Painter
Mar 26, 2008 Tim Painter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Engrossing and intriguing.
Lesley
Jun 09, 2015 Lesley rated it liked it
The Scarlatti Inheritance is the first thriller by Robert Ludlum, and it lacks some of the flair, suspense, and character development of the later works, such as the Bourne series. It is an interesting look at the lives of the idle rich in the 1920's combined with an overview of the world of corporate finance.

In the story, we follow the lives of a great Italian-American family over three generations and two world wars. Elizabeth Scarlatti is the widow of the great man, and she lives to see her o
Michael
Mar 08, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Big fan of Robert Ludlum's writing, so naturally this has been on my list to read for a while. I found the plot compelling, though not quite the intense page turner that some of his other novels are, but it kept my interest to the very end. It was great entertainment, but you can tell it is one of his earlier works. The relationships between characters was not developed as well as I would have expected from Ludlum, and a fair bit of the plot line was predictable. The assassination attempts I fel ...more
Kelanth
Jan 30, 2012 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spionaggio
Un plauso a Fanucci che ha ristampato "L'eredità Scarlatti", romanzone d'intrigo internazionale e d'azione con cui il celebre "Mr. Plot" ha esordito nel 1971.

Ricordo a tutti che Ludlum è l'autore che ha dato vita al bellissimo e rivalutato personaggio di Jason Bourne, che impazza nei cinema con l'adattamento del personaggio sul grande schermo, con il mitico Matt Damon.

In effetti nell' Eredità Scarlatti il Ludlum a venire lo si ritrova già tutto: intrighi planetari complicati e plausibili, giochi
Петър Стойков
Честно казано не помня дали в тийнейджърските си години съм чел нещо на Лъдлъм - но и да съм, не ме е впечатлило толкова, че да го помня. Така че може да се каже, за пръв път се сблъсквам с част от обширното творчество на този автор.

Може би има какво да се каже за връзката между количество и качество на въпросното творчество обаче, защото въпросната книга ми се стори толкова елементарно и бездарно написана, че се чудя кой му ги купува тия бози.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her weapons: Money and Power. Her target: The most dangerous man in the world 14her son. Elizabeht Wyckman Scarlatti has a plan 14a desperate, last-minute gamble 14designed to save the world from her own son, Ulster, an incalculably dangerous man who is working under the name of Heinrich Kroeger: Unless she can stop him, he is about to give Hitler's Third Reich the most powerful triumph on earth. Ludlum keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Sherry
Jan 08, 2016 Sherry added it
Well, I do like much of Robert Ludlum's work. This was a different sort of book. Difficult to understand and an odd premise. I'm not even sure I could summerize all the aspects of this plot. At the beginning of the book it is 1944 but the majority of the book is set in the early 1920's. After the first world war and leading up to the second. It involves the development of the Nazi party; high finance; business, insane rich men, ego maniacs, espionage, government spies. It has it all.
JR Bricksfield
Jul 30, 2015 JR Bricksfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I read all of Ludlum’s books growing up, and I have started to go back through them. Even though this is his first novel, he does not fail to impress. It is a classic historical thriller that blends historic events (the early years of the Nazis) with fantastic conspiracies and villains (millionaire power brokers that seek to manipulate world events for their own desires). There is also a good blend of character development and suspense to keep the narrative moving. Like his other books, The Scar ...more
Eric
Aug 23, 2014 Eric rated it it was ok
I loved Robert Ludlum when I was a teen. Stumbled onto this one which I'd never read, so I plowed through it. I'm not sure if it was just this book, or his writing hasn't survived the test of time for me. This one was a real struggle to get through. It started off pretty well, and had a good finish, but for 200 pages in the middle it was really hard to stay focused.
Dhia Bousselmi ( ضياء البوسالمي )
Nous sommes à l'aube de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale !
Une histoire d'une mère et son fils !
La famille Scarlatti possède une fortune inestimable, Elizabeht Wyckman Scarlatti va essayer d’empêcher son fils Ulster ( qui change son identité et devient Heinrich Kroeger ) qui a l'objectif de soutenir HITLER dans ces projets ..

Un roman extraordinaire !
Pat Roberts
Money and power- nothing but trouble. Robert Ludlum doesn't disappoint in this fast-paced thriller about the Scarlatti 'family'. (Someone should have taken parenting classes). The audio version that I enjoyed was made even better by the superior narrator, Stephen Hoye. Thanks to you, Steve, I finished a lot of projects.
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Ludlum is an excellent writer if you want to be completely submerged into an intriguing suspense, not breathing again until it's finished. I have two authors I read consistently and Ludlum is my number one. His writing is always right on, and I can't imagine how he keeps coming up with such enthralling stories.
Damiano Battaglia
Feb 17, 2013 Damiano Battaglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ci sono opere prime che bastano da sole a spiegare i motivi del successo di un autore. Credo che "L'eredità Scarlatti" sia una di queste.
Un piccolo manuale del romanzo di spionaggio: i personaggi fittizi si calano perfettamente nelle trame della storia reale e la influenzano, in un intrico di affari, politica e diplomazia che affascina il lettore con grande facilità. Il periodo tra le due guerre mondiali, poi, offre spunti di suggestione infiniti e scenari storici decisamente evocativi. Forse in
  • The Salzburg Connection
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • Storm Warning
  • The Ares Decision (Covert-One, #8)
  • The Janson Command (Paul Janson, #2)
  • The Devil's Alternative
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • Up Periscope
Robert Ludlum was the author of twenty-seven novels, each one a New York Times bestseller. There are more than 210 million of his books in print, and they have been translated into thirty-two languages. He is the author of The Scarlatti Inheritance, The Chancellor Manuscript, and the Jason Bourne series--The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy, and The Bourne Ultimatum--among others. Mr. Ludlum ...more
More about Robert Ludlum...