Start by marking “The Shangri-La Diet: The No Hunger Eat Anything Weight-Loss Plan” as Want to Read:

The Shangri-La Diet: The No Hunger Eat Anything Weight-Loss Plan

As seen in the New York Times and on Good Morning America-now updated by the author.

Imagine a diet that's as easy as "a spoonful of sugar" (or extra-light olive oil) twice a day. A diet that actually reduces appetite and cravings. A diet that's based on a wealth of scientific findings but is simple enough for anyone to stick to. A diet with results that amaze almost ever
Published April 24th 2007 by TarcherPerigee (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Shangri-La Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shangri-La Diet

Jim
Aug 30, 2008 Jim rated it liked it
I learned about this book from reading Freakonomics. The author, Seth Roberts, is a Berkeley psychologist who has his own ideas about why we gain weight. It's a quick read and worth a couple of hours if you are interested in different approaches to controlling your weight. Based on my experience, Roberts' setpoint theory is right on target. As a practical diet regimen, though, the advice is hard to follow. I tried ingesting flax oil for a couple of days. My appetite went to zero immediately, but ...more
Seymour
Jun 27, 2012 Seymour rated it liked it
Shelves: concepts, lifestyle
Obviously there has been a buzz about this book on the back of Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything. Like other reviewers I found it a very quick read and interesting enough to read in one sitting. Yes, the basics could fit on three pages but the "padding" is lightly engaging although repetitive at times. I did skim the chapter on the problems of global obesity because that's not something I need convincing about. Like other reviewers I was impressed with the Se ...more
Season Cluff
Jul 03, 2010 Season Cluff rated it it was ok
This book has an interesting concept, but really could have been just 3 pages (if that). The rest is really just fluff. But I guess no one would pay for a 3 page book, so he had to add extra to fill it up. Here's the secret, 1 tablespoon of sugar mixed with water and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil every day at least one hour after and before a meal if you are trying to lose under 20 pounds, add one tablespoon of each to lose 20-40 pounds and 1 more of each to lose over 60 pounds. Read th ...more
Janine
Aug 08, 2016 Janine rated it really liked it
Started this very simple diet immediately and can only say one thing - it works.
I already have a healthy lifestyle and follow a strict diet. But I needed an answer to my cravings. No matter how healthy I was, I could not avoid these extreme sugar cravings that would overcome my from time to time and ruin everything. Knowing I was cheating anyway I would stuff myself endless with bad stuff.
With this diet, I feel full so quickly. So while I still cheat from time to time, I can restrict it to smal
Steven Peterson
Sep 05, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this quite a while ago--and used it, too. I had lost 20 pounds on the Atkins diet and, after going to maintenance, the weight started coming right back. I tried this approach (using light olive oil) and it stopped the weight gain. Kind of yucky, but it appeared to work for me.
Lisa Greer
Feb 23, 2008 Lisa Greer rated it it was ok
Wacky stuff, but you gotta love an innovative guy who invents this kind of diet: drink oil or sugar water to stave off hunger. :) And it worked for a lot of people...
Two Readers in Love
I was intrigued by the description of Mr. Robert's project in Slate's article on "How We Can Use Data Sets to Improve Our Lives." This book did not disappoint in that regard: the author performed a self-experiment with tasteless oil and flavorless sugar water to reset his metabolism, and this book shares his results. Anyone who has unthinkingly lost weight while their sense of taste was compromised by a bad cold will have had personal experience with the author's premise: the association between ...more
Joshua Pitzalis
Dec 03, 2014 Joshua Pitzalis rated it really liked it
This is one of the quirkiest books about fat loss I've read. I thoroughly enjoyed it because I didn't expect the author to be so involved. Most books in the genre follow a predictable format. Less than 10 pages in and I'm reading about mice getting their brains sliced open, how brushing your teeth at the wrong time makes you fat and drinking oil won't. The most worrying part is that it all made perfect sense once you acclimate to it.

This book is a wonderful adventure into the thrill of self-exp
DK Simoneau
Feb 16, 2015 DK Simoneau rated it really liked it

by Seth Roberts

This was an easy read. And though I'm not sure I'm in agreement with the "science" behind it, I do believe Mr. Roberts may be onto something. I think our society has given sugar a bad rap. And yet when we are put into a hospital, one of the first things they often do is put us on an IV of salt and/or sugar water solution. I think our bodies need sugar. I think they need water. I think they need salt. And I think the
Kathy
Jan 27, 2014 Kathy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this four stars, but I guess I should wait until I see if this really works. The author's premise is that there is a strong connection in our bodies between good tasting food and calories, that our bodies learn to associate strong, good tastes with calories that the body wants to conserve, making us fat. He experimented on himself to find ways to add calories without taste, thereby lowering his body's set point and causing one to lose weight. He finally hit upon ingesting plain sugar wate ...more
Jerry
Apr 01, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As a lot of people mentioned, you don't need to buy the book to get the diet plan. It's pretty simple and explained on the author's website. The book was mostly background on how Roberts got the idea, what he did to test it, and dieter testimonials. All in all, it was an interesting read. I admire Roberts' ability to think outside the box. If the testimonials are to be believed, this diet could be a magic bullet.

I don't believe in magic, unfortunately. I will try out the ideas and see what happe
David Failing
Nov 28, 2012 David Failing rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012_read
Mildly informative - the author advances the theory that eating small quantities of foods (ELOO and fructose) with low "flavor-calorie association" will lower the body's set-point, which is the weight your brain WANTS you to be. In his view, backed by a few studies, weight which is above the set point will cause you to be less hungry (and hence lose weight), while a weight below your set point will increase hunger (and hence you will gain weight). This, he says, is why restrictive diets ultimate ...more
Benjamin
Oct 03, 2007 Benjamin rated it liked it
I think Seth Roberts is on to something, but I feel like he undermines his credibility with the way he describes the diet. Calling it "The Shangri-La Diet" sounds silly to me. It's not even really a diet; it's a strategy to reduce your appetite. He writes sentences like "eating more food will cause you to lose weight" which make it sound like a scam; what he technically means is that eating more calories without flavor will reduce your appetite, allowing you to eat less overall.

If you like diet
Jon
Apr 24, 2009 Jon rated it it was amazing
I've read a ton of diet and nutrition books and have learned to be disappointed with most of them. So I didn't come into this one with high expectations. But Roberts blew me away. Now whether the Shangri-La Diet is the cure-all for the global obesity epidemic, I don't know. But I do know this, it fundamentally changed how I feel diet and nutrition. Although I'm not convinced that Seth's diet is the healthiest option out there I think it's a fantastic way to help transition someone to more sustai ...more
L.L.
Dec 07, 2007 L.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
No więc bardzo ciekawa książka.
To właściwie nie jest dieta tylko sposób oszukania organizmu tak żeby czuł się syty, więc nie domagał się jedzenia i dzięki temu spalał rezerwy (czyli zbędne kilogramy). Ma to wszystko sens i w ogóle. No bo kiedy się nie czuje głodu, to nie trzeba tyle jeść - to nie jest męczące. Oprócz tego autor podaje kilka innych ciekawych sposobów "wspomagania". Podobno też z czasem przechodzi apetyt na rzeczy kaloryczne - co do tego, to przekonam się za jakiś czas ;) a na raz
William R. J. Ribeiro
Dec 19, 2011 William R. J. Ribeiro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone trying to loose weight in a very easy way
Well, I read Freakonomics earlier this year and it mentions the Sangri-La Diet so I looked up the book. It was very cheap and under 200 pages so I added to my to-read list.
Basically, you can learn everything from the diet on a dozen of blog posts on the web. The book doesn't add THAT much. To be fair, I give it 3 stars just because it's not a bad book and it's definitely not a bad one either. The diet and the theories were very appealing, and amusing, to me. after all, you are drinking olive oil
Paloma
educational read

This tweak just makes sense. I've tried it successfully in the past and plan on adding and keeping this tweak for good. There is no denying that the appetite suppression is there. And for ME, that is what I need to make better food choices. I remember my problem being that it worked a little too well, and I'd end up not eating enough. This time, I'll adjust the oil accordingly.
Maria
Jun 26, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
The book (ebook) was short, but a bit repetitive. That said, I appreciate his background, how he came up with the diet and the science behind it. The forums on his website are more helpful in following the diet than the book itself. And his blog, which has very little to do with the diet, has a wealth of information on various subjects. Seth Roberts inspires me to be more proactive about my own health.
Aashish Rathi
Jun 27, 2016 Aashish Rathi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fundae
The idea of the diet is intriguing. This is unlike the other diets which restrict a bunch of things, or the total calorie intake against the will of the person. If you follow it, you'll eat less, on your own. And the scientific basis behind the diet seems sound.

I've just started with it, but I have a feeling it should work. My final review will ofcourse depend on that.
Megan
Aug 19, 2012 Megan rated it did not like it
As much as I believe psychology and weight loss are inextricably linked, this PhD level psychologist proposes metabolic conclusions (set point) based on an epiphany after appetite loss following drinking different flavored sodas in Paris. Ok. If it works for some folks - great. Like I said there is a lot of do understand about psychology and weight loss.
Jon
Jul 10, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, health, fiction, dieting
Great concepts and ideas. Hope it works for me. Tried weight watcher's but I started gaining weight again. Hopefully this will get and keep the weight off. I'll keep this review updated on the progress.
Bonnie Magar
This diet was mentioned in the book Freakanomics and sparked my interest. It is a whole new concept of how to get rid of those extra pounds by resetting your "set-point" to a lower level. I read the book in a hour or so last night and I started the diet this morning. I'll see how it goes:)
Paige
Apr 04, 2007 Paige rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read about this diet in Freakanomics. Can't wait to start reading it. I'll try anything at this point!....Started the diet, easy enough.

Was on it for a week and a half, followed it exactly. After a few pounds "lost" gained more back...while still following it. Hmmm! Not sure about this one.
Mario
Sep 02, 2013 Mario rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Many, many thanks to Morelos Barros for introducing me to this new approach to dieting and weight control. The steps are simple, you just need some dedication and it works SO much better when you know WHY its working. Because believe me, it works.
Loida
Sep 29, 2011 Loida rated it it was ok
I read this because of Freakonomics. The concept sounds like a fad diet, but the sections on taste, diet and eating patterns are interesting.

Mr. Roberts is not a dietician, so it's difficult to take into account the science behind it all.
Mike Klein
Jan 03, 2012 Mike Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bottom line--I'm going to try this diet. The psychology of dieting is an important and often overlooked part, in addition people have had some success with this. Well written and always careful not to over promise. We'll see how it goes.
Nicole
Aug 06, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Something you sort of have to check out for yourself. I heard about it from the Ada's Rules book. If works, I think it could make dieting and following other plans a lot easier, if it doesn't work then no harm no foul as long as your are using healthy oils, like flax or walnut.
Ruth Laura Edlund
A psychologist experiments on himself. And then uses Internet forums for research. Three stars for entertainment value (loved the title), but the science...?
gita
Aug 02, 2007 gita rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
i asked to my self before, is there a diet without reducing numbers of food to be eaten, without doing too much exercises? well, this book has answers of my questions.
Seligne
Aug 10, 2009 Seligne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I went thru this book twice (it is short) and still cannot explain to anyone how its prescription of consuming sugar water and oil will change my weight "set point".
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dream Save Do: An Action Plan for Dreamers Like You
  • How to Write More Words More Easily
  • Is Your Chair Killing You?
  • Turn Your Dreams And Wants Into Achievable SMART Goals!
  • The Cure for Everything: Untangling Twisted Messages about Health, Fitness, and Happiness
  • 21 Days to Change Your Body
  • Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine
  • Depression and Your Child: A Guide for Parents and Caregivers
  • 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life
  • Connecting Happiness and Success
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Raising the Perfect Child Through Guilt and Manipulation