Start by marking “Future Weapons of War” as Want to Read:
Future Weapons of War

Future Weapons of War

A volume of visions of future wars, fought with weapons out of nightmare, by today's top writers of military science fiction, as well as some writers who are not usually associated with this genre, such as Kristine Katherine Rusch.
Published March 6th 2007 by Baen Books (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Future Weapons of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Future Weapons of War

Samuel Tyler
Jun 12, 2015 Samuel Tyler rated it liked it
War, what is it good for? If ‘Future Weapons of War’ edited by Martin Harry Greenberg and Joe Haldeman has anything to say about it, conflict makes for good fiction. This book is a series of short stories that all have futuristic weaponry in common from smart guns all the way to omnipresent AI. Like with so many collections, the quality varies. ‘Future’ is a classic example of the there being some great highs – an intelligent gun helping a child out of the slums, or an interstellar conflict that ...more
Stefan
The only reason I read this short story collection is because I felt like reading some light military SF (which doesn't happen quite often). What I was hoping for was some short tales of cameraderie and heroism --- "Let's go get those bastards, boys! Let's do it for the sarge!" and so on. Instead, the first story is about newborn babies being turned into potential unwilling suicide bombers later in life. So... it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Still, a decent collection of stories, some ...more
Eric
Mar 31, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it
I love anthologies as they give me an opportunity to read authors I haven't. I'm really trying to slog through the works (earliest to latest, in order.. I hope), so I don't pick up too many books from authors I don't know. Unless it is an anthology. Several of the stories I really liked: Rocket Boy, Broken Bits, The First Cup of Coffee War, The Weapon, and Humans Call it Duty.
Tim Hicks
Oct 19, 2012 Tim Hicks rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Three for the quite-good-but-not-exceptional stories, plus one for the editors' work in getting a very wide range of approaches. The sum is greater than the parts, and makes you think more than the individual stories do.

In particular, it makes you think, "Would humans *really* do that?" and you just can't avoid the answer, "Yes, sadly, we would."
Alex
Jun 20, 2010 Alex rated it liked it
This book is a collection of about ten short stories by different authors. Each story is based on some weapon in the future. It includes everything from talking pistols to a weapon capable of destroying a solar system.
T Dale
Feb 19, 2010 T Dale added it
Quick, escapist fun. The story, 'The First Cup of Coffee War' by James H. Cobb is a great example of George Friedman's description of American wars of the 21st century in his book, 'The Next Hundred Years.'
Chris
Jan 11, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Pretty good. Frequently disturbing, as intended, but notably (although unsurprisingly) scattered.
Steven Young
Steven Young rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Llew Narraway
Llew Narraway rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
J Hopkins
J Hopkins rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Roger
Roger rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Carlos Deleon
Carlos Deleon rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Kemper
Kemper rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2008
Moshpet
Moshpet rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2010
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Norhelm Staren
Norhelm Staren rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Jason Williams
Jason Williams rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Jarek Sliwinski
Jarek Sliwinski rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Mike Ruff
Mike Ruff rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2007
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Jason Harris
Jason Harris rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Nemo
Nemo rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2012
arg/machine
arg/machine rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Walker
Walker rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Jason Fischer
Jason Fischer rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Brother of Jack C. Haldeman II

Haldeman is the author of 20 novels and five collections. The Forever War won the Nebula, Hugo and Ditmar Awards for best science fiction novel in 1975. Other notable titles include Camouflage, The Accidental Time Machine and Marsbound as well as the short works "Graves," "Tricentennial" and "The Hemingway Hoax." Starbound is scheduled for a January release. SFWA pres
More about Joe Haldeman...