Start by marking “Broken Mirror Girl” as Want to Read:
Broken Mirror Girl

Broken Mirror Girl

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Broken Mirror Girl, a different kind of ghost story. For any girl who knows what it's like to feel yourself slipping silently away.

"Starting high school is bad enough when you're me, but it's even worse when your dead grandmother comes to school with you."

So says Maggie Chase, lanky and quiet Vermonter, who has never had a best friend in her whole life other than her grand
Published 2008

To ask other readers questions about Broken Mirror Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Mirror Girl

Char
Megan
Mar 29, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: early teens, adults
Recommended to Megan by: James
Shelves: bookgroup
James was so brave to let us read his young adult novel for book group. We had a great discussion about his book on Tuesday night with 18 in attendance. One of the best parts was the essay he wrote to go with the book, "When Mormons Read Mormons: What Mormons Expect from Mormon Writers Without Really Knowing It."
I thought James gave wonderful voice to the teenage girl Maggie Chase. Maggie was a very likable character. The book was laugh out loud funny in spots, and agonizingly wrenching in other
Lynxie
OMG! Broken mirror girl made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me remember. Most importantly, it made me stop and think.

James has created a very (slightly scarily so) real character in Maggie. She embodied so much of what I remember about being that age, in all it's positivity, but also very much all the negativity. I drew some immensely strong connections between my own teen years and the emotional turmoil that Maggie went through.

The extremely relevant plot for today's youth was well construc
Hilary
Levina  C.
I added this book years ago upon recommendation by James McQuivey, and it has become the first book I've read on my new Kindle.

It's a quiet, mellow sort of story, with a dream-like atmosphere that fits the subject matter. Things seem strange at first, and a tad hard to believe, but when you learn that there was some schizophrenia in Maggie's family in the past, things suddenly start to make sense.

I, like the author, want to believe that this is actually a true story. Because what happens to Mag
Lyndsey
No development of character, singularly unimpressive plot.
Connie
An easy, and dare I call it sweet, read.
Edwin Omekede
Edwin Omekede marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Micki Smith
Micki Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Alysha
Alysha marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Rebecca Hightower
Rebecca Hightower marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Sebastien
Sebastien marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Srsmith
Srsmith marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Summer Stevens
Summer Stevens marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Christina Moreland
Christina Moreland marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Tomohiko
Tomohiko marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Alison G.
Alison G. marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Alessandra
Alessandra marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Ritwika
Ritwika marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
شيرويت
شيرويت marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Omkar Jadhav
Omkar Jadhav marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Kaustubh Chandra
Kaustubh Chandra marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Josie
Josie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
McQuivey is a media industry analyst who writes industry reports about the future of TV, book publishing, and other media experiences. His professional blog is available at blogs.forrester.com/james_mcquivey.

Though he makes his living as a business writer, he also finds time to write and comment on fiction. His hilarious reviews of the Twilight books have generated over a thousand votes on Goodrea
More about James McQuivey...
Digital Disruption: Unleashing the Next Wave of Innovation Why We Need Dad Innovazione digitale. Preparare l'azienda al futuro del business Innovazione digitale: Preparare l'azienda al futuro del Business (Business & technology) (Italian Edition)