Start by marking “Killerbowl” as Want to Read:
Killerbowl

Killerbowl

Thirty years in the future, the ultraviolent sport of Professional Street Football, a phenomenally popular 24-four-hour-long athletic event, combines pro football with mixed martial arts and armed combat. On New Years day, quarterback T.K. Mann plays the most dangerous game of his life, the game known as Killerbowl! This is the first novel by Gary K. Wolf, famed creator of ...more
Unknown Binding, 161 pages
Published January 1st 1975 by DoubleDay

To ask other readers questions about Killerbowl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killerbowl

Jeff
Feb 01, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
Gary K. Wolf is an excellent writer who takes a very different slant on everything. This time it was violence and killing as a required part of football and the Superbowl of 2010. He creates some very memorable characters and a situation that is very easy to believe would happen. I hope his vision of the future never comes to pass, but we are heading that way fast.

My only criticism would be how long it takes to get to the end. He spends a lot of time describing a lot of games in detail and it sl
Kevin
Jan 11, 2012 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wrote notes for this one like I do for most every book I read, but I'm throwing them all away. Basically pretend someone came up to you (or in this case came up to Gary K. Wolf) and said, "Hey, so what if football was played on city streets instead of on a field oh and also players can kill each other. Write as much as you can about that, until you've exhausted everything there is to say. Should take you, I dunno, 200 pages or so."

$0.99 on the Amazon Kindle store will get you this experience.
Jake
Feb 15, 2016 Jake rated it really liked it
(3.5) Didn't know the guy who wrote this also wrote Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, the basis for one of my all-time favorite movies. Killerbowl was an interesting, at times prescient read, probably a rip off of Rollerball but entertaining in its own right. The blurb tells you all you need to know about the book going in and reading it does exactly what its supposed to.
Massimo Foglio
Feb 11, 2013 Massimo Foglio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football
Fortunatamente il football non e' diventato cio' che preconizza questo racconto. La storia é comunque gradevole, anche se forzatamente cruenta. Molto bello l'intreccio "da film" tra il presente ed il passato che vi ci ha portato.
Finale atteso, ma ugualmente amaro, forse l'unica cosa che il racconto ha previato nei minimi particolari del football del nuovo millennio.
Kris
Apr 24, 2012 Kris rated it really liked it
Umm, this is awesome (4.5). It's in the future and football is played across entire cities and to the death! I admit that some of my extreme love is because of the football thing, but the book is good in any case.
Jim
Aug 30, 2007 Jim rated it liked it
Ok, so I was a kid and read this during my summer library reading club. It was the first "science fictiony" book I ever read so I pay it an homage for that if nothing else :)
Leif
Jan 16, 2016 Leif rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally engrossing and somewhat silly evocation of a future blood-sport.
John
John rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2012
Benjamin J Kane
Benjamin J Kane rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
Mikey Galai
Mikey Galai rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Philip Paulsson
Philip Paulsson rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2013
Russ Watson
Russ Watson rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Aramis Thorn
Aramis Thorn rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Paolo
Paolo rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Elerwen
Oct 01, 2011 Elerwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Letto parecchi anni fa, truce e violento al punto giusto.
Una lettura consigliata
Patrick Devaney
Patrick Devaney rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Andrea Bampi
Andrea Bampi rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Ben O'Ram
Ben O'Ram rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Radical
Radical rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Douglas D. Williams
Douglas D. Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
May 22, 2008
Nate
Nate rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Paul Chase
Paul Chase rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2010
Mette-marie Katz
Mette-marie Katz rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
James Turner
Aug 29, 2012 James Turner rated it it was amazing
Read it again this month. Very interesting format and a wonderful read.
Logan Carroll
Logan Carroll rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
El Camino
El Camino rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Von Allan
Von Allan rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2008